Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Aired episodes discussion (beware the spoilers)

• Please log in to reply
567 replies to this topic

favole

favole

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,050 posts

The topic for episodes discussion.

You can find the torrent for the subbed first episode on HorribleSubs' site (just type ghoul into the search bar if you can't find it).

Edited by favole, 08 January 2015 - 05:15 PM.

Jassim Al-Madeh

Jassim Al-Madeh

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationBahrain
Why "beware of spoilers"?
Can't decide

favole

favole

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,050 posts

Oops sorry maybe I didn't use the expression well? :) Well, because this topic will be full of spoilers, won't it be? So I'm just preventing people in case they don't want to be spoiled?

Anyway I'm off to Watch the episode, I'll write my thoughts about it later.

Old McDonald

Old McDonald

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 850 posts

The episode covered chapter 1 - chapter 5 page 14, a bit more than half of the first volume. I didn't expect they would cover that much in the first episode. But it worked reasonably well.

They left out Touka killing that molester because he was pissing her off, Yoshimura giving Kaneki meat and the whole coffee topic. I think they will cover the coffee topic in the next episode or the one after. The rest isn't really important storywise.

I liked it.

And to come back to the cour topic, after this episode, it could go either way.

Traumatic Tomato

Traumatic Tomato

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 203 posts

Pacing just went straight to hell, Yamori appeared too damn early so I'm guessing in the 12th episode they're going into the end of Aogiri arc? Or possibly branching out to a new storyline? Animation and voices are pretty decent, but that's to be expected from a modern anime series. In the manga, they explained what The Black Goat's Egg was about and that was central in bringing out the creepiness from the manga. Really mixed feelings, still a bit too early to judge so we'll see in due time.

Old McDonald

Old McDonald

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 850 posts

Oh yeah, they left out Kaneki's book monologues.

I think they let Yamori appear this early as an eyecatcher. You have to get people to watch the show.

favole

favole

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,050 posts

Soo I watched it:

**Things I liked:

- The beginning, even if I didn't really get why they had shown Yamori and Rize talking but that casted a good/gore atmosphere at the very beginning, so why not.

- The voice actors did an amazing job, but that wasn't surprising, seeing as they chose a good cast. Hanazawa (Rize's VA) was amazing.

- The animation was good + the colors used were less weird than what I expected.

- The introduction of Nishiki, directly linked to Hide instead of Kaneki randomly meeting him in a supermarket.

- The ghoul who was destroyed by Nishio, how nice of him to offer food to Kaneki, "understanding" his situation.

- The music.

**Things I less liked:

- Even if I liked the beginning, you already know, thanks to the Rize/Yamori interaction, that Rize is a bad girl (it's really an easy guess), so her attack on Kaneki and her skills at acting are really lost to the viewer (I mean viewers not reading the manga), and that's too bad (maybe that's because I was the only dumb reader not understanding before the attack that Rize was a ghoul? I thought Touka would be the one attacking Kaneki, not Rize, so that's why I'm really praising Rize's acting skills. Whatever XD)

- The transition between the operation and Kaneki's first lunch at the hospital was weird... It felt too rushed but that was only two seconds.

- Rize didn't mention that she was "a ghoul". I felt like it was important because Kaneki can't know just like that that he's a ghoul, but instead he found that out thanks to food, so it's not that important.

- Same with coffee, but they can always introduce it in a later episode, with Anteiku. They slightly changed some minor things that they will or already have explained another way, so I'm not really complaining. Besides, there are always minor changes from anime to manga in every series, so as long as they don't change the plot/story, that's alright. :)

About the pace of the first episode: The pace of the whole episode was alright, even if slightly rushed I thought, but they needed to make a first episode with a lot of stuff happening (introducing important characters, the cgg, the ghouls and such) in order to attract viewers, so let's hope the following episodes will be a bit slower but the pace for this episode is alright.

Overall, I think it was a good episode! :)

Edited by favole, 03 July 2014 - 05:32 PM.

chipathy

chipathy

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 76 posts

Pacing just went straight to hell, Yamori appeared too damn early so I'm guessing in the 12th episode they're going into the end of Aogiri arc? Or possibly branching out to a new storyline? Animation and voices are pretty decent, but that's to be expected from a modern anime series. In the manga, they explained what The Black Goat's Egg was about and that was central in bringing out the creepiness from the manga. Really mixed feelings, still a bit too early to judge so we'll see in due time.

12 episode thing isnt confirmed 

either way this is was one of the most impressive first episodes ive seen from an anime

Old McDonald

Old McDonald

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 850 posts

- The transition between the operation and Kaneki's first lunch at the hospital was weird... It felt too rushed but that was only two seconds.

I would have to check again, but I think they showed commercials at that point on Tokyo MX. That partially explains this transition.

Edited by Old McDonald, 03 July 2014 - 05:46 PM.

favole

favole

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,050 posts

12 episode thing isnt confirmed 

either way this is was one of the most impressive first episodes ive seen from an anime

Really? :) The first episode of Shingeki no Kyojin was quite good too! But I get what you mean and I agree, it was impressive.

@Old McDonald: Ahhh ! That would explain it!

meridian meriadoc

meridian meriadoc

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 12 posts

I'm not gonna lie, I laughed pretty hard during the scene Kaneki was trying to eat all the food Hide bought him. Black humor a la Death Note?

Also, it's too soon to critique the show I think. Let's see after 3-4 episodes then we can give a proper verdict. 

I agree that the pacing had to go a little faster since the first episode is the 'hook'. I also approve of the prologue scene with Yamori..in my opinion it adds an additional layer of contempt directed at Kaneki for later.

I for one am not going to nitpick over small details. As long as they do the story and Kaneki's development arc justice, I'm a happy camper.  

x-cube323

x-cube323

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 237 posts

I have mixed feelings about this episode :/

the voice actors were amazing and all but it felt kinda rushed. They cut out the scene where touka slices the molester's head in half :( I was pumped for this scene...  :'(

Yamori appeared right in the beginning... dafuq?

All in all i liked this episode but I hope the pacing gets a little bit slower with the next episodes...

Any news on the amount of episodes yet?

favole

favole

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,050 posts

I have mixed feelings about this episode :/

the voice actors were amazing and all but it felt kinda rushed. They cut out the scene where touka slices the molester's head in half :( I was pumped for this scene...  :'(

Yamori appeared right in the beginning... dafuq?

All in all i liked this episode but I hope the pacing gets a little bit slower with the next episodes...

Any news on the amount of episodes yet?

Hey you never know, that scene with the molester and Touka can always come back in a future episode (like the 2nd or the 3rd) because Kaneki sees her several times before getting into Anteiku, so maybe they just inverted the scenes. :) But there is still a chance that it won't happen, though.

chipathy

chipathy

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 76 posts

guys you have to realize that japan does have some strict laws and even though pacing can be done better there will be things cut off regardless, if you really want to see some more extended scenes/missing scenes/ or no censorships youll have to wait for the blurays. 

Jassim Al-Madeh

Jassim Al-Madeh

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationBahrain
Before everything:

Is this episode from HorribleSubs an edition from FUNimation and so the translation actually from Crunchyroll?
If so, how different you think the original edition is?

Edited by Jassim Al-Madeh, 03 July 2014 - 07:42 PM.

Can't decide

favole

favole

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,050 posts

No idea, I alway watch the version they propose they're fast and I don't know how Crunchyroll works at all (with or without subtiles, and so on) so I can't give you an answer. :/

Edited by favole, 03 July 2014 - 09:34 PM.

x-cube323

x-cube323

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 237 posts

DAMMIT PIERROT!!! Annonce the number of episodes already! I'm dying here!!!

Vital Distance

Vital Distance

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 79 posts

I'm thinking 12-13 if each episode covers 5 chapters

Then we can finish the aogiri arc.

If we are lucky and I mean EXTREMELY lucky 20 at best.

But so far I-I love it ><

I feel so proud to know the studio is doing the manga justice T^T

sig9_by_0mystogan0-d796yyl.png

Old McDonald

Old McDonald

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 850 posts
I think the next episode will likely cover chapters 5 (remainder) - 9 or (more likely) 10. That means the episode likely ends with Amon's and Mado's introduction. They will go at least until chapter 9 since the episode has the title "Hatching", and at most until the end of chapter 10, since Touka's death stare in chapter 11 is part of an episode that animation director Miwa works on (they once tweeted a draft of that stare on twitter and attributed it to Miwa), and he does not work on episode 2.
Maybe they will also show the scene where Yoshimura gives Kaneki some meat, but I think it's unlikely. There is a possibility that they will also add Kaneki's monologue about Kafka's Metamorphosis or about the Black Goat's Egg at the beginning of the episode. But I don't think we will get to see Touka's molester.
I'm sure that they will show how Kaneki tries to eat a sandwich in chapter 10, because I have seen a draft for one of the facial expressions Kaneki shows in that scene. So they shouldn't leave out anything major from chapters 5 to 10.

Edited by Old McDonald, 03 July 2014 - 11:01 PM.

Jassim Al-Madeh

Jassim Al-Madeh

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationBahrain

guys you have to realize that japan does have some strict laws and even though pacing can be done better there will be things cut off regardless, if you really want to see some more extended scenes/missing scenes/ or no censorships youll have to wait for the blurays.

Maybe I should only watch the bluerays after all? Hoping other subs to come...
Funimation isn't to my liking and I want to see the missing scenes.
Can't decide