Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

For the bullies and the bullied, could you imagine this happening to you?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Purple Library Guy

Purple Library Guy

Fried Potato

• Donator
  • 695 posts
  • LocationCheck Rivendell, or Vorbarr Sultana, or Adrilankha. No? Try Vancouver.

When I was a kid, I was a shrimp, partly because I was usually the youngest in my grade.  I was also a loner and was more interested in books than in paying attention to actual people.  Making things worse, earlyish in grade school I ended up wearing glasses plus, for a while, one of those incredibly stupid looking eye patches.  So yeah, I was bullied.  Big time bullied, especially from grade 2 to 4 or 5.  Luckily, it wasn't a really tough school.  Basically, in class there were a bunch of people who would insult me and try to push me around.  At recess and lunch they'd chase me around the schoolyard in gangs of five or six.  But, not too tough a school as I say, if they caught me they'd hit me a little and knock me down, but nothing too serious.  There were a couple of particular assholes who, even if they weren't actually beating me up just then, would jump me snatch my glasses and stomp 'em, things like that.

So yeah, five or six against one and I was very small and scrawny--I ran a lot more than I fought.  But I had one basic advantage:  Absolutely steel-clad self-regard.  I was always sure I was awesome.  It helped that I was always about the smartest in class; I could do well at everything without trying, always had an easier time talking to adults than kids my age, and thought nothing of contradicting teachers if I thought they were wrong about something.  So while I might run from the beatings, I never stopped talking back in class where they could only insult me.  I could always give better than I got verbally, although it was annoying that often the bullies were too dim to completely understand the trouncing I'd given them.  So where some bullied people internalize it, start to feel bad about themselves, start to feel down even when they're not under threat, I was mostly just pissed off.  I knew with no doubt in my mind that everyone on my case was worthless morons and I was a genius and their superior, and that was that.  So psychologically I wasn't hurt that much except to get pretty cynical and isolated.  Really, I can kind of understand why they'd find me annoying--but until they got on my case I never said much; I was shy and quiet and just wanted to be left alone, so it wouldn't have killed them to do just that.  Things gradually got a bit more subtle in high school (a few different ones), and by grade 12 nobody was really on my case at all.

As to forgiving 'em . . . nope.  Fuck 'em, little creeps.  If I meet one of the people who gave me a hard time when I was a little kid, I will probably ask them for a fight and pound the shit out of them.  If the demands of civilized society make this impossible, I will at any rate call them out for the pieces of shit they were.  I was fairly pacifistic when I was a kid (though very very rarely if I lost my temper I would pretty much go berserk; I've seen kids bigger than I who normally tormented me run when I snapped), but my personality has gradually shifted.  Less shy, less quiet, and take shit from nobody.  I think it's the tabletop roleplaying games, which helped socialize me and pull me out of a general dislike for the human race, but also gave me a somewhat . . . tactical view of conflict, and an unforgiving view of enemies.

ohdear

ohdear

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 11 posts

There was a boy I bullied in first grade about a month.  I was really mad at him because he kissed me at his birthday party.  So...I got all the girls to believe that he was a kissing fiend and refused to play with him.  He played it up at first, pretending to be a kissing monster, but towards the end he seemed kind of lonely and tired of girls running away from him.  After a month of this, I moved away.  

I feel bad about the whole thing but I think its likely the bullying stopped after I left.  I can't imagine being friends with him since I can't even remember his name anymore...I guess if I had his name/contact info I'd reach out to him but there isn't really a point.  It was so long ago.  Sometimes I wonder if I'm bad person for it, but I was 6 and I think I really did believe he was some kissing menace that needed to be stopped haha.

Ironically soon after I moved to the States, I was bullied for my ethnicity/partial hearing disablity/appearance up till 7th grade.  I guess that's karma.  They didn't really do much besides those ching chong songs and treating me like a creep.  My pride in my ethnicity never really wavered but it did make me feel really bad about my looks for a long time.  I guess I could be friends with them if they got over being racist and everything but I imagine we have little in common now.  As a whole, though, the bullying was pretty minor and I blame immaturity.  I personally feel like its pretty normal for kids to get nasty at each other during puberty, but adults need to do a better job of teaching them its not okay.

I can't imagine anything happening like Koe no Katachi in real life though...Nishimiya seems far too nice to be real.  I hope her personality changes a little once she opens up more.  Considering how realistic the story feels sometimes, I'd hate the story to be about how everyone is/was an asshole except flawless angel Nishimiya.

Sorry for wall of text. :s

Phantaminum the Riddle

Phantaminum the Riddle

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 41 posts

I was bullied by the entire class. My best friend betrayed me when I was on 5th grade. Then my past started to hunt me once I got to secondary school. Rumors about me, being bullied when I was a kid started spreading fast wherever I go. I was bullied for all 5 years. 

It was horrible, I wanted to commit suicide a lot. But what stopped me from doing that were a friend who said this:

"If you commit suicide, I'll make sure to go and hunt you down to the other world. Punch your face really hard and bring you back". I laughed a lot, what a moron. But he did save me a lot of times ^^

I'm not gonna lie. I can't forgive them. They made my life misserable for a lot of years.

Damn man I'm still shocked that so many people have dealt with things like this, this forum is heartbreaking. Shndany, you have an awesome friend though, what he said kinda reminded me of a Gurren Lagann episode where Simon punches his friend Rousseau right before he commits suicide. You should check it out if you get the chance :)

SEntinelSLayer

SEntinelSLayer

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

I was bullied a lot in middleschool some of the girls in my class thinking that everyone who like me or dating with me is an idiot.

I dont know what im doing and i didnt do anything wrong, my best mate that are in the same cram school with them told me that the girls always talk about me a lot in their cram school. When i asked him what are they talking about he didnt said a word. a few days later i approach one girl she's the prettiest and the cutest girl in class and she was one of the girl who bullied me. I switch seat with my mate that sit behind her. Whenever there is time to talk, I talk to her and we exchange phone number for almost every night we are texting each other. One night she didnt text me or talk to me for about 4 days. After that in the morninng class my mate told me that the she like me i was confused back there. I know the girls just plotting against me and i switch seat with my friend and go back to my original seat. And a few days later her friends spill some juices on her head, idk what's going on? me and my friend approach them and asked "What's going on?" they said "Nothing just dumping my Juices :D". And that's happening every day. A few month later she move out, i feel sorry for her i felt guilty i know all of this are my fault what the hell am i doing why did i approach her why did i asked her number i really sorry for her i want to meet her and ask her to go out with me. 2 month before national exam I go to her house and asked her mother what highschool she want to go in. Her mom said that she want to go to some famous highschool with only smart and rich people go there. I studied hard before exam. And finally i was accepted there with scholarship. We start going out for about 2 years now.

Ada

Ada

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Locationthe dark blob in the north

I was bullied part time- basically when the boys were bored. It lasted a couple which (with other tings going on) led me to be pretty depressed, not really suicidal but not far off either. It did not really help that no one liked the same thing as I do, I went to a school in a small town in Norway and grew up with german tv channels www I watched dubbed anime. So yeah I was not really into horses or super girly things and was mostly by my self. I was quiet lonely in middle school were for eksampel the whole year was divided into 4 groups a, b, c, d. A and c shared a room ( I was in group C) and the other groups shared another room. During a project group a and c worked together and group b and d worked together. There were about 120 people or maybe less then that. We were spite into a 3-5 people team. The two who originally were on my team refused to work together and splitt up, I had to move to the other classroom because no one wanted to have med on their team. I was quite shy, still am and the bulling had made it a lot worse. I had basically no friends and no confidence. If I did not have anime to look forward to when I was little then I don't really think I would the way I am now or alive. 

So no I have not really forgiven the guys who bullied me even if it was not as bad as what other people experienced. Bulling is a problem no matter how big or small it is, it will affect the bullied negatively for a long long time. 

I also thing that the bulling in Asia and the US are scary. I was reading a article on the web about two girls in the US who were underaged and raped by two boys who were 16 or 17 I can not remember. They were rich and played sport so they basically got away with it. The worst part is that the community blamed the girls. One of the girls brother was kicked out of the sports club, their house even got burned down and the police refused to help them. 

Here is the link to the whole story:

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/10/12/4549775/nightmare-in-maryville-teens-sexual.html

Blue Flaming Wings

Blue Flaming Wings

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

I was bullied in Elementary School. I was bullied too in Middle School and Highschool, but it was so mild compared to elementary school (some jocks just took my backpack and hid it around the school so I would have to hunt it down before getting into class. They tired of it quickly) that I always consider my Elementary School the one I was bullied in. Now, apparently, I did get into fights (or got beat up more like) since my Mom tells me I had bruises back then and they had a few reports describing them, but it was the verbal abuse I still remember. I've always been a bit rotund, but back in Elementary School when I still had my lisp I got extra attention. Most of the bullying had to do with that I'm not and would never be attractive to the opposite sex (which is a bit odd since none of the kids went through puberty yet). The concept, if not the actual words, that I remember most clearly is that I would never be married.

This had odd effects. My parents, or at least my mother, were both staunch Catholics. My Mom even taught RE (Religious Education) at our church. So, given that I decided at a young age that I was a believer (though I learned later what exactly it was I claimed to believe) I decided the only way to solve never being married was to become a priest. Of course, in Middle School/High School when I was no longer physically, verbally or emotionally abused I discovered, yes, I do actually have redeeming qualities and shouldn't let some brats in Elementary School dictate my future. I want to be a published novelist now, and the desire to write has nothing to do with my bullying (though the desire to articulate myself better because I used to have a lisp might have something to do with it).

Now, my relationship with my bullies is a odd one. Back in Elementary School there was one main bully that sort of drew others to him (sort of like how Ishida was the charismatic focal point which his old "friends" gathered around and followed his lead when they bullied Nishimiya). I've met him once during the summer of my Freshman year in college when I visited my old Elementary School to see if I could work part-time as a instructor in their summer camp. He was applying for it too. I grew to be around 6 feet, he barely grew at all. He sucked up to me real quick. I didn't make it into the summer camp and I never saw him again. I still don't particularly like him, but since we didn't end on a hostile note I don't hold a grudge against him.

The four jocks from Highschool are a different matter. While they tried to pick on me in Junior High (the school I went to was a mixed Junior High/Highschool - small place. Saw the same faces for several years) we became sorta friendly in Highschool, even if they weren't one of my core friends. During our Senior retreat we sat around a campfire and told stories about each other. They all (or a couple) mentioned me. There was a couple funny stories, like how I was running on the sidewalk of the road by the Highschool (I think I was cutting it close for a class) when I tripped and fell. But another one, the biggest guy there (he was on the football team) mentioned the bullying and how I would still greet them afterwards with a smile on my face and how he appreciated that and that he had to wonder sometimes who was a "bigger man" (his words, not mine). So yeah, bullies or no bullies I consider them all to be friends now, if not close friends that I see or talk to regularly.

So I really think whether bullies and the bullied can get along depends on who they are and the situation. I think it can work out for the best.

Because I've gotten tired of people trying to hire me to write ...

Yokohama

Yokohama

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 19 posts

EDIT: i had a really self indulgent post about analyzing the characters without writing a story myself. so i removed it ^^;

Edited by Yokohama, 07 June 2014 - 09:41 PM.

death orange

death orange

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 20 posts
i got curious and read this manga. i liked it. i was bullied b4 because i have a brother with mental sickness. there's no other way but to fight the ones bullying either u get killed fighting back or theyll respect you for fighting back atleast in my case the bullies respected me and never bothered me again. but when push comes to worse that i died fighting back my attackers b4 atleast i can think at the back of my mind that i stood up for myself in this twisted society we are living in.