Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Announcement sidebar added to the front page!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
54 replies to this topic

Grumpy

Grumpy

RawR

• Administrators
  • 4,078 posts
  • LocationHere of course!

If you look in this forum, you'll actually notice that I very rarely make announcements. Most of the time, even with 30 day span, the announcements sidebar will be empty. And when it's empty, there will be nothing there. No bar. I might reduce it down to 7 days to have it display even less. And when I do make announcements, it's usually about coming downtime or service changes. You really don't want to miss these especially if you're about to release chapters for your group. 

To all who say language settings should be lower. I completely agree. But as said above, we have language feature request quite often. I want to leave it there for at least a week. I might move it back down after sufficient people have seen it. 

If there's no announcement, and I move the language bar below in a week, follows will be back up top.

i like your cat picture is that from a movie?

Yes and no.

Are there also some Events too? just asking because there is now an Announcement SideBar...

No. We don't have events.

liking it... ^^

i missed some announcement... or rather i saw 'em late... 

oh yeah... Grumps... no Christmas/New Year promo/gift from you this year? like an exclusive "something" for the lucky potato?

Maybe... I actually have few steam games that needs to be gifted to some random person. (4 keys)

I'm puzzled by this. If an announcement was of sufficient importance that all the registered users needed to be notified of it, shouldn't it be sent as a notification? There is a notification widget right at the top of every page on Batoto. Why not use this to notify folks about important announcements instead of cluttering up the Batoto homepage any more than it already is? Also, it seems like a real waste to have a widget and not make use of it, don't you think? :)

This is not possible. Significant majority of users of batoto are not registered users. I haven't calculated the stats of late, but I suspect it's roughly 80~85% of the users. Any feature involving requiring registration already fails the reach the masses. The announcement is meant to reach everyone. The only feature on batoto that requires registration is follows and forums (and forum's sub features like PM, notification, etc).

---------------------

P.s. I didn't know so many ppl had such small screens... I still see all the follows without scrolling. lol I'm running 1920x1080 (most common resolution for batoto users last I checked)

miles

miles

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts

i really wish "my follows" were on top.

They get updated much more often than "Announcements" 

annihilator

annihilator

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,035 posts
  • Locationnomad...

Maybe... I actually have few steam games that needs to be gifted to some random person. (4 keys)

all right!! i better watch the announcement closely... the "maybe" might become a yes.. 

XD

*fingercross

...m y a l t e r e g o...

Posted Image

Grumpy

Grumpy

RawR

• Administrators
  • 4,078 posts

all right!! i better watch the announcement closely... the "maybe" might become a yes.. 

XD

*fingercross

I don't have any blockbuster games like last time. Just torchlight 2 and trine 2. Leftovers from 4 pack purchases.

annihilator

annihilator

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,035 posts
  • Locationnomad...

I don't have any blockbuster games like last time. Just torchlight 2 and trine 2. Leftovers from 4 pack purchases.

even though... others might still want it... ^^ 

a gamer is a gamer... i think..? :) ahh... why not ask? 

...m y a l t e r e g o...

Posted Image

Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationFormer Tenochtitlan
P.s. I didn't know so many ppl had such small screens... I still see all the follows without scrolling. lol I'm running 1920x1080 (most common resolution for batoto users last I checked)

I am running at 1600 x 900 and 130% zoom due to family members being farsighted(including me)... :(

Edited by Cloud Strife, 23 December 2013 - 09:29 AM.

Hwa_Ryun_showing_both_eyes.png

Aversa

Aversa

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 18 posts

I don't mind the announcement but what i do mind is the add i prefer to have it under my follows instead of above it.

Now every time i can here i see a white  space between announcements and follows which is rather annoying since i have to scroll down to see most of my follows.

I know i am not the first one to say this but i thought an extra post was needed about it.

Renegade4Life

Renegade4Life

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 33 posts
Sweetness. I do admit my heart sank when i didnt see "my follows". But im glad to know that i wont be missing out. #FOMO haha

The wisest follow their own direction.

madelinelime

madelinelime

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 34 posts

I'm going to assume there isn't a way for reg'd users to have that little bar show up until they click an x or something to close it? If someone doesn't log in for 7+ days, they won't see the announcements, and it stays there for everyone else.

antarctico

antarctico

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 51 posts

It is not the size of the screen that is an issue (except for laptop and pad users), it is the vertical compression on the right side of the home page that is causing a problem. The announcements push down the My Follows, which is what I want to see first, and then the full list gets dumped down into major scroll wheel territory. I am running more vertical resolution than you (1600x1200), and it is still annoying to have my screen crowded with announcements that I have already read or been made aware of. Say did you know, "Announcement sidebar added to the front page!, and I know what you're doing over christmas!. God yes, I know already.

tacchan23

tacchan23

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 15 posts

Btw, I always wondered why the My Follows list isn't longer? why not display more items without the need to scroll the list?

Grumpy

Grumpy

RawR

• Administrators
  • 4,078 posts

Btw, I always wondered why the My Follows list isn't longer? why not display more items without the need to scroll the list?

It was never meant to serve you as the full list for follows. It's just a quick look to see updates. You should be using the full list (link at top) for that. 

xinhope

xinhope

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 497 posts
  • LocationA land of dream filled with hopes

it's a good thing this announcement stuff. i now realized i rarely checked the main page since i always go to my follow instead.

:batoto_015: brvdflt_zpsoo057cdu.jpg :batoto_029:

Gokudo

Gokudo

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

by the way guys what is the latest announcemet for now?

The Last Melody

The Last Melody

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • LocationWierd Quoteland

I don't have an announcement sidebar :/

It's gone. (Used to have one.)

Nevermind. Found out why,sorry for the unnecessary post.

Edited by The Last Melody, 16 January 2014 - 11:25 AM.

I am sorry for being alive
A habit I keep on saying
I've always been softly complaining
A meaningless existence

I am sorry for being alive
A habit I keep on saying
I've always been softly complaining
A boring existence