Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Announcement sidebar added to the front page!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
54 replies to this topic

GreenDrag

GreenDrag

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • LocationOn the wall that held back the hordes of infidels invading Europe.

The tiny bit of extra scrolling won't kill anyone. (>_>)

I'm already bleeding heavily from the fact, that I have to scroll below an add to see my follows...

I'm puzzled by this. If an announcement was of sufficient importance that all the registered users needed to be notified of it, shouldn't it be sent as a notification? There is a notification widget right at the top of every page on Batoto. Why not use this to notify folks about important announcements instead of cluttering up the Batoto homepage any more than it already is? Also, it seems like a real waste to have a widget and not make use of it, don't you think? :)

^This, in a nutshell...

PROzess

PROzess

Potato

• Contributor
  • 177 posts
  • LocationGermany

Never knew there were announcements :P

Thanks for the sidebar :)

unf2a.jpg

Viscoun

Viscoun

Couch Potato

• VisTrans
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

It's not the announcement sidebar that needs to be moved down, but the advertisement.

the ad should be moved to the top imo. after all, it's a longer way down.

though it's more of an aesthetic thing, tbh... it's fine where it is

adva

adva

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

I don't mind it. I always miss announcements so i guess this should keep me up to date on things.

....um....yea.. that's about it.......

Zufar Valky

Zufar Valky

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

It's not the announcement sidebar that needs to be moved down, but the advertisement.

i agree to that

TEO

TEO

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts

I have never ever seen an announcement before now.

Good thing that you put it on the front page, thumbs up  :)

Ororo

Ororo

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

You don't. I don't want people to miss things.

Okay, that's quite a dickmove there. At least give us an option to have it under "My follows". I don't want to scroll everytime to acces "Full List".

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

Equine non grata

• Members
  • 3,853 posts
  • LocationSan Escobar

Okay, that's quite a dickmove there. At least give us an option to have it under "My follows". I don't want to scroll everytime to acces "Full List".

Then it's a good thing you already can access it from the top of the page, no?

Spoiler

Mod-in-Disguise

FlQCNQa.gif

You <3

Whoever decided to delete this was an idiot.

| Handwritten kanji recognition || KanjiTomo || Kanji converter || J<->E Dictionary |

1Suspect

1Suspect

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 15 posts

Spoiler

What if you also like to see the newly started manga?

My follows should be on the top of the sidebar, we come to the site to read manga above all else, hence it should be priority.

Announcement bar and language options are used much less frequently, therefore placing them above my follows does not make sense.

Edited by 1Suspect, 22 December 2013 - 02:10 PM.

TAK3Z0

TAK3Z0

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 30 posts

It looks nice. I really did miss some announcements so this is welcomed. However "Language Settings" should go under the Ad (just above "My Follows") because this way it looks lost and little confusing.
Anyways good job

TAK3Z0.png

Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationFormer Tenochtitlan

I think it's a good idea but my follows should be on top. Followed by language settings and then the announcements. Or send a notification like someone suggested.

Hwa_Ryun_showing_both_eyes.png

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

Equine non grata

• Members
  • 3,853 posts
  • LocationSan Escobar

What if you also like to see the newly started manga?

My follows should be on the top of the sidebar, we come to the site to read manga above all else, hence it should be priority.
Announcement bar and language options are used much less frequently, therefore placing them above my follows does not make sense.

Then I either scroll through the latest updates or view 'recently added comics' that for whatever reason can be accessed on comic pages? Or just visit B-U, but that's unrelated.

IMHO, announcement bar would be better if it was either "new annoucnement note (one line of accentuated text) -> click to open announcement subforum/unfold the list on main page" or it only showed unread announcements (i.e. after being marked as viewed, they'd disappear from the list; possibly a "viewed all" button too for people not wanting to open each thread). Only two announcements visible now, but if/when it gets to 5, it'll be somewhat too long indeed. I'm for it staying on top though. Someone suggested notifications - they sometimes get buggy (i.e. a person not receiving any notif), there's a limit of 200 before older ones get overwritten, unless it'd be a "pinned on top" notif some people would probably not even notice it.
Language bar's position I don't really care about, but as people don't even read FAQ before making yet another "this site needs language filter" suggestion thread, it's been moved up. Not really defending it, I'm up for any solution that will reduce the amount of people not knowing about the filter.

Announcement bar wasn't used at all before, because it's a new addition for people who never check the forum. Announcements aren't made that often though, so a way of making it less obtrusive when it's not used would be preferable.

Personally I don't check follows here regularly/daily, but when I do, I just go to the old follows (sorted by comic) to get a view of it on the whole page (and for images in case of some titles I don't recall from the name alone). I never got used to the new follows, so this sidebar is currently useless to me.

Mod-in-Disguise

FlQCNQa.gif

You <3

Whoever decided to delete this was an idiot.

| Handwritten kanji recognition || KanjiTomo || Kanji converter || J<->E Dictionary |

Raitzeno

Raitzeno

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts

Please make My Follows at or at least near the top. The Announcement bar would be really cool if it was minimized by default, and new announcements unminimized it; say, if you could click on an announcement to bring it up in a new window or whatever, and doing so would mark it as read; when all your announcements are marked read, the announcements sidebar goes back to a minimized state (obviously with an Expand button). Put the ad below My Follows. You can leave the language settings bar where it is, but I would honestly give an option to hide it entirely or move it to the bottom of the sidebar, somewhere in your settings.

TehVict

TehVict

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

It'd be a nice gesture to those who don't use AdBlock on Batato if you'd move the ad below My Follows so that you don't have to scroll down to see if any manga you follow have updated. That, or switch the placement of Announcements and My Follows.

grawler

grawler

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

Didnt use add block here, but having the My Folows so low is annoying, at least without the add its better placed. if things change i turn it off again.

xeixei

xeixei

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 23 posts

good move.

madelinelime

madelinelime

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 34 posts

Can we please delete if after we've read it?

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

Cool, I personally seldom think to look in the "Announcement" section either so this is a good thing. Right at the top of the page too, right where something like this belongs...........yup, having to scroll down what amounts to  a small handful of lines to get to the follows shouldn't kill anybody.  :)

Tn7HA0h.png

Ororo

Ororo

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

Spoiler

Sure, that's fine. I got used to accesing it from below My Follows but I can use the top of the page no problem. Still, announcements are in the way of the list of newest updates, and I often want to check just those few new chapters that are out, but now I have to scroll to do just that.

In my opinion the announcement sidebar should be placed below "my follows" or at least be minimized by default, and open only when a new announcement is added or user himself click the bar. 

SN2

SN2

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Locationsomewhere between boredom and death

Announcement? 

I never though it was a thing on batoto.

Go figure! :lol:

So far, there's nothing in here. Don't ask.