Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

What do you think of Asha?

asha kubera

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

So, from the summary for today's Naver chapter....... yeah, definitely spoiler material to those who don't look at the raws.......consider yourself warned   :)

Spoiler

Tn7HA0h.png

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts
Spoiler

Edited by Mizura, 24 December 2013 - 01:03 AM.

3492bk6.jpg

Kubera stuff: Character charts , Races and Cities , The finite (official side novel) ,
Official English Webtoons: https://www.webtoons.com

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Spoiler

:D

Oh no, not in the least as far as I'm concerned, after all, I've been saying Asha was nothing more than a snake in the grass all along...........

Spoiler

I've said it before, I think there's a lot more being read into Asha and her actions/motivations than is actually being presented to us by the author. I've seen nothing to make me believe that any of the "help" Asha has offered Leez was actually anything but a manipulative ploy to achieve her own ends while making Leez (and apparently some readers as well) believe it was "for her own good".

Wow, how many bullies and wife-beaters use just that reasoning..........."it's for your own good" or "I'm trying to help you"? 

Tn7HA0h.png

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts
Spoiler

Edited by Mizura, 24 December 2013 - 02:06 AM.

3492bk6.jpg

Kubera stuff: Character charts , Races and Cities , The finite (official side novel) ,

Sogno-

Sogno-

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 469 posts

She's powerful mentally, physically, and magically. And I don't like her.

I don't like anyone who is cruel to Leez, "good intentions" or not. Sure she has saved Leez, but she has also abused her physically and emotionally. Additionally she keeps secrets from Leez. I don't care for her reasons; that behavior, while not unforgivable, is not excusable

Not knowing "how to display affection" is never a reason to be cruel to someone.

lol roll lol

Euodiachloris

Euodiachloris

Mashed Potato

• Members
  • 7,336 posts
  • LocationUK

She's powerful mentally, physically, and magically. And I don't like her.

Fair enough, she's not particularly likable. :)

I don't like anyone who is cruel to Leez, "good intentions" or not. Sure she has saved Leez, but she has also abused her physically and emotionally. Additionally she keeps secrets from Leez. I don't care for her reasons; that behavior, while not unforgivable, is not excusable.

Oh, she has made no bones about it: her intentions aren't pure. Well, they certainly weren't when she first came across Leez. But... I don't think Leez is quite what Asha expected her to be. And, that's shifted her on a number of points to try putting Leez's needs rather more to the fore than she had planned to (not in front, though). To say all her actions are not for Leez's benefit is as incorrect as suggesting none of them are. :mellow:

And, people keep secrets from other people all the time. Heck, you'll have done it, even with a guilty twinge here and there. Say, from your parents at some point? Friends? Often, we do it to "try not to hurt them" in some way (which, doesn't always work out). Asha also may not have been keeping all these secrets quite as voluntarily as we may think: a lot of her clamming up seems imposed from outside in some way that comes across as a magical contract, or something. <_< And, the most likely culprit is Visnu for that. :P

Not knowing "how to display affection" is never a reason to be cruel to someone.

On the contrary: if you've rarely known affection, you won't actually know how to give it. And, if you've been treated with cruelty in the guise of "kindness", you can honestly mistake it for exactly that. It's a very well known phenomenon.

Saying it's "right" or "wrong" is not an objective standpoint. Like most things what is "cruel" can be very subjective and highly variable. :mellow:

Edited by Euodiachloris, 24 December 2013 - 06:38 AM.

PlotCap.png

~:Euo will do instead of my whole handle:~

Scanlation-author collaboration not possible?  Nope: it's doable... try Trace and vote with your feet to try to get more like this.

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts
As Euo said, Asha seems to genuinely Not know how to display affection. She spent her life on Willarv being envied by some, being praised by others, but being truly able to open up to none. We don't know how her relation with her mother was, but when she told Ran that he'd miss this cold attitude of hers once she's gone, she may have been speaking from experience.

To put Asha's relationship with Leez in perspective, you first have to examine her relationship with the one other person she's close to: Brilith. On the surface she's very dismissive of her:
- When Brilith said she should visit the temple more often, Asha said she doesn't like the Gods so she doesn't visit their temples.
- When Brilith talked about the Red Sky incidents, Asha said she couldn't help her.
- When Asha was leaving and Brilith was noting how many secrets Asha seems to have, Asha said that Brilith was the same.

It looks very cold, but even onlookers can tell that they are actually very close. Asha saved Brilith from a stalker, was willing to wear that ridiculous hat Brilith got her, and well, let's just say that it's not the only thing she got from Brilith. What Asha's relationship with Brilith shows is that Asha genuinely does not know how to communicate warmth, affection and consolation, even when she cares deeply about someone. Amazingly enough, though, Brilith was able to see through her cold exterior. Brilith may be the person who best understands Asha as a person, even without knowing her motives.

It's the same with Leez. Ran started to say how desperately Asha searched for Leez while Leez had gone missing in the water channels, but was cut off. Asha was likely worried sick when Leez ran off with God Kubera and took her time returning. And Leez nearly got herself drowned, which again, which made Asha angry because she was worried about her. At the same time, Asha can't ignore the fact that there are much bigger things at stake. She's also like this with Ran. She seems cold and dismissive to him, but she didn't communicate the fact that she actually won in order to spare his feelings.

Violence also seems to be something acceptable to Asha. When Yuta bit her arm off, she wasn't angry against him in the slightest. On the contrary, she was trying to reassure him. Much bigger things are going on, and whatever Asha does, Leez will need to toughen up. I think Asha genuinely didn't count on the fact that Leez had such a loving, pampered upbringing. She came to fetch her expecting a soldier, probably one worthy of the Power of the Name and of being the daughter of Rao Leez, but got herself an apparently childish village girl.

Edited by Mizura, 24 December 2013 - 06:14 AM.

3492bk6.jpg

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

you're saying that there Isn't more to Asha's motives than just her revenge? xD If there's one thing I'm absolutely certain about Currygom's writing, it's that her characters are far more complex than you seem to give her credit for.

No no, I've actually  never said what Asha's exact intentions were, only that her relationship with Leez was a complete sham meant only for her own benefit...........i.e "using" Leez solely to achieve her own ends with no true intention of providing Leez any benefit whatsoever. And most likely with the intent of casting her aside or even sacrificing her (literally) whenever it serves her ultimate purpose.......or she ceases to value Leez enough to keep stringing her along, whichever comes first.

And I like to think I'm perfectly adept at appreciating and discerning depth of plot and character............though I also strive to guard against reading  it in when it isn't actually there too.  :) 

Tn7HA0h.png

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts
I'm pretty sure Asha intends to die before Leez. :\

In fact, she intends to do so even though she doesn't have to, and is part of the harder path she's choosing for Leez' sake. :\

By the way, on her me2day of the 13 of November, Currygom noted that both Leez and Asha don't have ordinary personalities, so they can be hard to understand. She never meant Asha to be so black and white.

Also, I'm surprised that you seem to have forgotten The Finite. Currygom writes things in a way that there are layers of truth behind every event. This will likely be true with Asha too.

Edited by Mizura, 24 December 2013 - 09:52 AM.

3492bk6.jpg

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

I'm pretty sure Asha intends to die before Leez. :\

I could live with that  :D

Asha's actually a great character, any good drama has to have conflict.......good guys and bad guys......I just happen to see her relationship with Leez in much more two-dimensional terms that it could be, and many have, interpreted.

Also, I'm surprised that you seem to have forgotten The Finite. Currygom writes things in a way that there are layers of truth behind every event. This will likely be true with Asha too.

I took a look at that but didn't read it. I've just never gotten into the LN/GN/Novel stuff (manga/manhwa type works I mean of course, not "traditional" books and novels). A shame it wasn't in webtoon form, I've little doubt I'd enjoy any side-stories or projects by the author, I thought her Myum-Myum one-shot was exceedingly good.

Tn7HA0h.png

upiro

upiro

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts

I am interested in one particular aspect of Asha's behaviour. She was very reluctant to have Leez learn magic and she confessed to Yuta that it would be good for her to learn magic but not for Leez herself. Do we know why she thought it was not good for Leez to learn magic?

Also, in that chapter (Chapter 91), we see a figure in red background stating 'This is what you wanted, isn't it?'. This was just before we get a glimpse of Leez's father wishing happiness for his child. Do we know who that figure is? Is it a picture of Asha when she was a child and after Planet Carte was destroyed? Or someone else?

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts
Welcome new member! :)

You raised a good point by the way. No, we don't know who that woman is, and I'm starting to wonder if we shouldn't feel more suspicious at the fact that the Rao Leez scene was obviously a flashback, but the woman seemed to refer to the present.

So could it be that there are others dictating her actions as well? Is there a freeloader in her head just like with Leez? Is the part with the strangling also related to this, or is it yet Another thing?

As for Asha being reluctant to have Leez learn magic, I think it was an indication that she knew (to a point) the sort of life Leez would have if she became stronger. In fact, if you look at the chapters where they first met, Asha commented on how Leez should be fine even if she gets injured a lot, since she's swinging her arms around like that (implying that Leez Would get injured a lot D: ). Also notice that when it came to the Sword of Re:
- Asha wasn't particularly antagonistic against Yuta when Yuta said he wanted the Sword of Re.
- Asha also commented that it wasn't certain whether Leez could pull it or not.

My theory on all this is that Asha knows that Leez would suffer if she became strong and pulled the Sword, and Asha would "win" if all that were to happen, but Asha was nonetheless hoping that Leez would fail in-between. That means not being able to use magic, and not being able to pull the Sword. In that case, Leez' "destiny" would not come to pass.

Edited by Mizura, 28 December 2013 - 04:27 PM.

3492bk6.jpg

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

I am interested in one particular aspect of Asha's behaviour. She was very reluctant to have Leez learn magic and she confessed to Yuta that it would be good for her to learn magic but not for Leez herself. Do we know why she thought it was not good for Leez to learn magic?

I personally feel that's a good testament to Asha's purely ulterior motives. Even she admits the obvious....teaching Leez magic is the "right" thing to do since it would strengthen their party and benefit her (again, obvious, any skill learned by any person is a benefit to them)..............while steadfastly refusing to do it.

Obvious answer? It's to keep Leez subjugated......as weak and dependent on Asha as she can possibly keep her while still keeping up the facade as her benefactor or guardian. That just happens to be something Asha thought she could get away with while making up some excuse that wouldn't raise Leez's suspicions any more than necessary.

Tn7HA0h.png

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts
Um, now you're just making things up, and reading things as the opposite of what's been revealed. :\

"I do think it would be better for her to learn magic. But... it's better for me. Don't you see? It's good for me, not Leez."

On the contrary, Asha is NOT teaching Leez magic for Leez' sake. She seems to be aware of where Leez is heading, and as far as I can tell, she's secretly hoping that it'd all fail so Leez would be spared that fate.

As for why Asha doesn't just drop the whole thing: it wouldn't work anyway. Asha seems to know that Leez is meeting with God Kubera, the one pushing her towards this destiny, anyway, so if Asha just puts a stop to it, other parties might intervene. That's already happened, in fact, since Asha obviously realized that God Kubera went ahead and told Leez how to use magic. Asha nearly strangling Leez may also be to spare her a worse future. We also don't know if it's really a good thing to put a stop to everything, there is obviously a lot more involved. Asha's hesitation is entirely for Leez' personal sake.

Edited by Mizura, 29 December 2013 - 02:32 AM.

3492bk6.jpg

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Um, now you're just making things up, and reading things as the opposite of what's been revealed. :\

"I do think it would be better for her to learn magic. But... it's better for me. Don't you see? It's good for me, not Leez."

On the contrary, Asha is NOT teaching Leez magic for Leez' sake. She seems to be aware of where Leez is heading, and as far as I can tell, she's secretly hoping that it'd all fail so Leez would be spared that fate.

As for why Asha doesn't just drop the whole thing: it wouldn't work anyway. Asha seems to know that Leez is meeting with God Kubera, the one pushing her towards this destiny, anyway, so if Asha just puts a stop to it, other parties might intervene. Asha nearly strangling Leez may also be to spare her a worse future. We also don't know if it's really a good thing to put a stop to everything, there is obviously a lot more involved. Asha's hesitation is entirely for Leez' personal sake.

Ah well, rather than "making things up" I'd contend I'm interpreting what's being given to me without trying to force things to fit how I want them to be...........Asha's refusing to teach Leez a valuable skill to save her from herself? I'm sorry but I just can't see that as a reasonable way to interpret things. I'll bet Ran wouldn't have either............which is probably just why Asha didn't try to pull that cock and bull story on him to keep him from teaching Leez.

And if that quote in bold is one from Asha meant to convince or reinforce some position............ain't gonna go nowhere with me, I don't believe even the first word that comes out of that woman's mouth. It's why I pay more attention to her actual deeds.....not what she claims she's doing and intending.  :D

Tn7HA0h.png

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts
Asha didn't try to stop Ran because she thought it wouldn't work. :\

Oh great, you assume Asha is lying, even though she's never been shown to lie to Yuta, and even though God Kubera himself proved that Leez' future is one where she is strong but absolutely miserable. Is it so hard to believe that Asha realizes where Leez is heading to, and that like with God Kubera, she's hesitating between her own victory, and sparing Leez such a fate? Because that's 100% what the series is telling me.

At the same time, you completely trust in the words of the person who took over Leez, even though That person is hiding stuff from Leez as well.

Edited by Mizura, 29 December 2013 - 02:58 AM.

3492bk6.jpg

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Oh great, you assume Asha is lying

Is it so hard to believe that Asha realizes where Leez is heading to, and that like with God Kubera, she's hesitating between her own victory, and sparing Leez such a fate? Because that's 100% what the series is telling me.

At the same time, you completely trust in the words of the person who took over Leez, even though That person is hiding stuff from Leez as well.

Indeed, it's true. I have an intense distrust of Asha's character.........I've found her extremely suspicious from the get-go.

Yup, I don't buy that at all........... it's alright, we've just got different opinions and interpretations of our story and characters. I personally consider that as a testament to the story's depth and the quality of story telling on the author's part. Really good stories shouldn't be so one-dimensional that they just clobber you over the head with what they're trying to show you. That'd we'd have fundamentally different opinions about key points in the story is a good thing. It tells me the author has woven their tale in such a way as to allow different people to interpret it in different ways. So far so good, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for luck that she can keep it up.

And I never said anything like "completely trust", for that matter I thought I'd made that clear with " I'm not saying some disembodied entity is necessarily right either, but " ............I only made the point that someone who'd apparently been watching all this transpire between Asha and Leez (much like we the readers) was in fact echoing what I'd said regarding the seeming differences between Asha's words and her actions. 

Tn7HA0h.png

upiro

upiro

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts

No, we don't know who that woman is, and I'm starting to wonder if we shouldn't feel more suspicious at the fact that the Rao Leez scene was obviously a flashback, but the woman seemed to refer to the present.

So could it be that there are others dictating her actions as well? Is there a freeloader in her head just like with Leez? Is the part with the strangling also related to this, or is it yet Another thing?

That's a great observation! I hadn't realized that the person was speaking in the present tense. It certainly raises the question of whether Asha has someone in her head. Or, it could be the side of her that wants to desperately win and discard Leez. That part of her, which she's struggling against, might be telling her to teach Leez magic so that she could fulfil her original agenda. This could explain why the figure resembles the Asha from the flashbacks who's covered in blood. That was when she was single-mindedly focused on revenge and Asha could be drawing upon that image to guide her actions.

I understand where you're coming from, svines85, when it comes to your distrust of Asha. However, I think I'm willing to give her the benefit of doubt until I know what exactly she's trying to achieve and the party she's trying to take revenge against. I think that Asha's genuinely torn about using Leez as a puppet because she know that she herself is a puppet in the broader war that she's taking part in. Teaching Leez magic might make her stronger and a more useful tool but might trap her inextricably in the war that's going on. Perhaps what Asha doesn't realize is that Leez is already involved too deep and that there's no escape for her and therefore, teaching Leez magic might give her a little more agency.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

I understand where you're coming from, svines85, when it comes to your distrust of Asha. However, I think I'm willing to give her the benefit of doubt until I know what exactly she's trying to achieve and the party she's trying to take revenge against. I think that Asha's genuinely torn about using Leez as a puppet because she know that she herself is a puppet in the broader war that she's taking part in. 

A reasonable position..........for me the phrase "Forewarned is Forearmed" distinctly comes to mind in the case of Asha. Just because I don't trust someone doesn't mean I can't work with them (or take advantage of them myself), it simply means I refuse to blithely follow them with no sense of self-preservation when there are many indications the person might mean me harm.  :)

Tn7HA0h.png

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 3,395 posts
Asha is pain in the ass when younare trying to translate.

Official Japanese translation assumed Asha was a he until midway season 1 and had to fix dozens of chap.