Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

When does this manga start getting good?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Gundumbwing

Gundumbwing

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

I've heard from many people that this is a great manga. Where is it at? How long do i have to read before it starts getting decent?

I just finished the Fishmen Arc, and the only things I've seen are a plethora of ridiculous so called "evil-doers". A clown with a silly power, a ship full of horribly drawn feline-esqu pirates, and half human sea creatures that created the most boring Arc I've ever read in a manga. The only arc that started off decent ended in friggin cat pirates, with their leader being the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen with his weapon. I'm a huge fan of Furi Kuri FLCL, and this manga is more outrageously silly in as negative a way as i can possibly mean it.

How long do i have to read before this manga becomes interesting!?!?

Edit - Actually i liked the Chef on the Sea Arc (whatever its called). That was a good story that kept me interested. But it took so much effort to get there....

Edited by Gundumbwing, 07 November 2013 - 03:41 AM.

Vice Admiral Luffy

Vice Admiral Luffy

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 14 posts

if you didn't find it interesting so far then you're not going to find it engaging at all.. :)

sharks

sharks

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

I personally love One Piece because I think Oda does such a great job keeping the sprit of the story alive, from the very beginning even till now. I think there is a distinct personality to One Piece; it's quirky, kind of crazy, chaotic, but at the same time sort of simple-minded and fun. I know there are a bunch of people who don't like One Piece, they don't like the art style, the story, the chaotic frenzy that seems to happen every chapter, the themes and a bunch of other reasons. Which is fine because everyone has their own taste and it's kind of ridiculous to assume that everyone will love One Piece.

But for me, this manga is so complete, so well-written, so well put together, that I can't help but love it. Luffy is such a simple character with a super straight forward mind, but I love how he keeps that essence of his personality while traveling, but also continues to learn and grow and mature as the story goes on. I love that although there are so. many. freaking characters in this manga, I feel like I know all of them, because Oda does such a good job making all the characters interesting and they have a strong presence in the story. I love that every story arc feels important; I (personally) have found each arc essential to the plot and not like some throwaway, filler story. Basically, I love this manga because of it's personality and how I think it has continued to meet a high standard and has not dropped in quality since chapter one.

But yeah, like what Vice Admiral Luffy said, if you don't like it now, you'll probably never like it. Mostly because there's a certain charm about One Piece and if you don't like it now, you'll never love it because it's the same charm from beginning to end.

flowsthead

flowsthead

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,032 posts

I've heard from many people that this is a great manga. Where is it at? How long do i have to read before it starts getting decent?

I just finished the Fishmen Arc, and the only things I've seen are a plethora of ridiculous so called "evil-doers". A clown with a silly power, a ship full of horribly drawn feline-esqu pirates, and half human sea creatures that created the most boring Arc I've ever read in a manga. The only arc that started off decent ended in friggin cat pirates, with their leader being the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen with his weapon. I'm a huge fan of Furi Kuri FLCL, and this manga is more outrageously silly in as negative a way as i can possibly mean it.

Edit - Actually i liked the Chef on the Sea Arc (whatever its called). That was a good story that kept me interested. But it took so much effort to get there....

I liked a lot of those stories retroactively, but personally the arc I fell in love with was the Water 7/Ennies Lobby Arc which is chapter 322 to 430. So, if you're not sure, then I guess you could skip to there and check it out, see if it appeals to you?

I wouldn't approach One Piece as seriously as you seem to be doing. The art is....well I'm not going to say its beautiful or anything. It definitely took a lot to get used to, and I still don't really love the people designs, but the art functions better than most other manga. It's very full, with lots of things happening in the background, and a very creative cast of secondary and one-off characters. One of the best things about One Piece is every arc has a different set of characters that you've never met before, so there are 20 to 30 new people you are suddenly meeting, with a few that reoccur. And the action of the art is always really clear, without sacrificing information and story. It's one of the best paced mangas, where I can honestly say that maybe over 95% of individual chapters are pretty great on their own as well as part of a larger story arc.

The thing to remember about the characters on One Piece is because of there being so many, character complexity is necessarily sacrificed. So most of the characters are pretty simple. That doesn't mean they won't surprise you, as Luffy is generally stupid but has moments of pretty great insight, just that you shouldn't expect super realistic, three dimensional characters.

More than anything, One Piece is just really fun. It's a great manga for being over 700 chapters long with god knows how many volumes and yet it's still really fun to read. That's an achievement. That doesn't mean you'll like it, as One Piece is the most shonen, shonen that ever shonened and I know shonen's are getting a lot of backlash right now. But if you do like it, it will reward you continuously.

The face of the angel of history is turned toward the past. Where we perceived a chain of events, he sees a single catastrophe which keeps piling wreckage and hurls it in front of his feet. The angel would like to stay, awaken the dead, and make whole what has been smashed. But a storm is blowing from Paradise; it has got caught in his wings with such violence that the angel can no longer close them. This storm irresistably propels him into the future to which his back is turned, while the pile of debris before him grows skyward. The storm is what we call progress.
~Walter Benjamin

stfuuppercut

stfuuppercut

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

when does it get good? starting from Chapter 1

Gundumbwing

Gundumbwing

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

The strange thing is i actually enjoy reading Fairy Tail.

Perhaps I AM trying to take the manga too seriously, and that i seem to not be able to get into it because these strange wacky things are happening in a world full of pirates, as opposed to a world in where magic exists that can easily explain all the goofy and wacky behavior. I will check out the arc you mentioned flowsthead and see what happens. I do enjoy Luffy's character, and his relationship with the red haired pirate (can't remember his name), but so far almost every story felt lacking to me.

Could just be as simple as this isn't the manga for me.

TempSol

TempSol

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

I started with the anime but I didn't start to enjoy it until they got most of the crew together, whoever was the last person before franky.Once they start adventuring starting at episode 48.

Oda does a great job doing something most other manga don't have which is a living world. It's not just about the characters in the story he will continue to add other towns and countries that have their own problems with or without the Straw hat crew. I absolutely love his world crafting skills and the love he puts into the characters there tons of backstory and history get addressed and continues to be flushed out. 

KDPtheKing

KDPtheKing

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 67 posts

I did not liek one piece at first.......mostly because it was americanized and watered down for children. (i am american lol)

but i started enjoying it once i started reading the manga.  i think i had to go back all the way to the beginning of the water 7 arc and i went on from there.  my advice is to read from beginning and treat it like a manga you never heard of........with no expectations.  I always say Expectations kill happiness lol and its the truth. 

Then again, it might not be the manga for you and its ok................i wonder what you expected it to be

Spoiler

abdurahman

abdurahman

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

Never! It's not for you. Move on.

Edited by abdurahman, 07 December 2013 - 03:39 PM.

Ricardo Condinho

Ricardo Condinho

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

i don't know if this will help but, try not to read too much at a time? read just a couple of chapters a day, try to end at cliffhangers?

why do i say this? while i do love one piece, everytime i try to read from the beginning it's just too much, it has an incredibly sloooooow pace, and i keep thinking when will this move along!? on the other hand fairytail has quite a good pace, making it easier to read.

But i do agree that if you don't like it now, then you probably will never like it. I started to really enjoy it when luffy started using gear 2nd, while trying to save robin ;)

Sir Flashâ„¢

Sir Flashâ„¢

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationGaming & Streaming

Start from the beginning, you really are not gonna want to miss anything. Even the tiniest details because later on those tiny things become arcs themselves and you will see hints that will become amazing even later than that.

Musician King's SoundCloud: 

p4dJLo8.gif

SON, NIC, SHAKES!!

Spoiler

General Hercules

General Hercules

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • LocationUSA

the reason i love one piece so much is because it can be serious and dramatic one moment to funny and hilarious the next and not loose out on plot, something that i think bleach and naruto started out with but lost over time

Hyakuju

Hyakuju

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 10 posts

You obviously didn't read One Piece at all and just skipped ahead to later chapters. Which would explain why you have no idea what you're talking about and can't even name characters from the arcs you've supposedly read. Stop skipping around and read from beginning to end if you actually simply want to enjoy the series. I'd strongly recommend not reading it at all though because you seem like another one of those dudes who went into the series heavily biased against it because some other OP fan said it was better than your favorite series so you started reading it(or more accurately skimming it) with a purely critical mindset instead of being genuinely interested in the series. Oh, and Fishman island is by far the worst arc in the entire series. It doesn't even compare to the epicness of earlier arcs in Part 1. It was your stupid choice to skip ahead and read a shit arc without experiencing the rest of the series, so you have no one to blame but yourself. 

Fairy Tail is just a poor mans One Piece btw. If you can stomach that pale imitation then theres no reason you shouldn't be able to enjoy the real deal, unless you're heavily biased against One Piece. 

Edited by Hyakuju, 05 February 2014 - 11:58 AM.

Demonicmonkey88

Demonicmonkey88

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts

Actually try and read the manga bro.

theres a saying "doesn't judge a book by it's cover" and while some people may see the art style as silly...that's what makes it unique!

Also keep in mind, this manga's surpassed dragon ball (in japan, where rankings mater!)

so if your really curious, just read it, if you skip you won't understand some things further on, but to answer your question i think things started getting better at the enis lobby arc~

You obviously didn't read One Piece at all and just skipped ahead to later chapters. Which would explain why you have no idea what you're talking about and can't even name characters from the arcs you've supposedly read. Stop skipping around and read from beginning to end if you actually simply want to enjoy the series. I'd strongly recommend not reading it at all though because you seem like another one of those dudes who went into the series heavily biased against it because some other OP fan said it was better than your favorite series so you started reading it(or more accurately skimming it) with a purely critical mindset instead of being genuinely interested in the series. Oh, and Fishman island is by far the worst arc in the entire series. It doesn't even compare to the epicness of earlier arcs in Part 1. It was your stupid choice to skip ahead and read a shit arc without experiencing the rest of the series, so you have no one to blame but yourself. 

Fairy Tail is just a poor mans One Piece btw. If you can stomach that pale imitation then theres no reason you shouldn't be able to enjoy the real deal, unless you're heavily biased against One Piece. 

some parts of that arc were good, sure the fighting was kinda lame but what did you expect?! they were fighting armatures!

Hell the only reason hody was able to hit luffy was because he was in the water and had the advantage (with speed and movability)

Hyakuju

Hyakuju

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 10 posts

some parts of that arc were good, sure the fighting was kinda lame but what did you expect?! they were fighting armatures!

Hell the only reason hody was able to hit luffy was because he was in the water and had the advantage (with speed and movability)

Yeah but it was still the worst arc. Though it's definitely not as bad as people make it out to be. Someone who just skipped ahead without reading the whole series wouldn't understand the significant bits of that arc or why any of it was relevant. 

All in all, the arc is ok when you read it as a whole and not week by week. 

flowsthead

flowsthead

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,032 posts

Yeah but it was still the worst arc. Though it's definitely not as bad as people make it out to be. Someone who just skipped ahead without reading the whole series wouldn't understand the significant bits of that arc or why any of it was relevant. 

All in all, the arc is ok when you read it as a whole and not week by week. 

I think that's arguable. If it weren't for Aokiji, the Foxy arc would be the worst, and I would still take the Fishman Island arc over a lot of the first arcs. Until Sanji joins up, it's not really that interesting. Sanji's arc introduces Mihawk, Sanji vs Zoro, the Grand Line, and has a villain who actually makes Luffy put in some effort. Because the Sanji arc also has Nami running away, it's also really the beginning of the running storyline of the series as from then on there are clear markers to the next leg of the journey, whereas before they're just kind of bumbling along.

The face of the angel of history is turned toward the past. Where we perceived a chain of events, he sees a single catastrophe which keeps piling wreckage and hurls it in front of his feet. The angel would like to stay, awaken the dead, and make whole what has been smashed. But a storm is blowing from Paradise; it has got caught in his wings with such violence that the angel can no longer close them. This storm irresistably propels him into the future to which his back is turned, while the pile of debris before him grows skyward. The storm is what we call progress.
~Walter Benjamin

mbaruh

mbaruh

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 37 posts

I think that's arguable. If it weren't for Aokiji, the Foxy arc would be the worst, and I would still take the Fishman Island arc over a lot of the first arcs. Until Sanji joins up, it's not really that interesting. Sanji's arc introduces Mihawk, Sanji vs Zoro, the Grand Line, and has a villain who actually makes Luffy put in some effort. Because the Sanji arc also has Nami running away, it's also really the beginning of the running storyline of the series as from then on there are clear markers to the next leg of the journey, whereas before they're just kind of bumbling along.

Each to his own, I didn't mind that at all.

gemaddog7

gemaddog7

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 52 posts

By the way, he's talking about the Arlong Park fisherman arc, NOT the later Fishman arc, context clues, he said he liked the "Chef on the Sea" arc, which is the baratie, It's obvious to conclude he's not that far. You guys are actually spoiling him, that is if he keeps reading.

Edited by gemaddog7, 11 February 2014 - 02:03 AM.

Bill4364

Bill4364

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 32 posts

By the way, he's talking about the Arlong Park fisherman arc, NOT the later Fishman arc, context clues, he said he liked the "Chef on the Sea" arc, which is the baratie, It's obvious to conclude he's not that far. You guys are actually spoiling him, that is if he keeps reading.

haha I dont understnd how that wasnt obvious to everyone.  

And to the OP, i aagree that if you dont like the manga from the beginning, it wont happen.  I think your wrong personally but thats an opinion, so find something else to read :D

Dragon88

Dragon88

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 519 posts

I would say it gets really interesting from the adventure in grand line, whiskey peak.  But the story really picks up from water 7/enies lobby arc which starts around chapter 320.