Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Future Abilities

Future Abilities Stats Spells

• Please log in to reply
291 replies to this topic

shelly

shelly

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 302 posts

He's going to gain Cooking as his crafting skill. At least that seems the most reasonable way to learn to craft HP/MP restoration items.

As unlikely as it is, I want him to get Pharmacist as a skill, so he can make medicine for himself.

Cooking is much more likely because he can easily learn it and get materials for it.  It's really too bad that pharmacist is not going to happen.....

Unless he gets Observe leveled to the point where he can find the medicinal properties of plants and work with that

Edited by shelly, 08 November 2013 - 12:34 PM.

kendama

kendama

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 332 posts

This is looking more and more like the Overpowered route. If I am not mistaken, characters in MMORPGs acquire new skills just by touching books and saying yes. They don't need to do any actual reading.

Suppose Jee-han just casually says yes and the whole contents of the book he is holding are uploaded instantly into his brain. Then, Sun-il says something like "Sorry, mate, I cannot let you read this book, it is one of our secret books that teaches skills exclusive to Chunbumoon. Please put it down."

"Ooops. Sorry, Sun-il. Too late."

Now that's overpowered.

Pity that he cannot do it with normal books, otherwise he wouldn't need that much studying, he would only need to touch the mathematics books and so on.

sorrow

sorrow

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 442 posts
  • LocationThe States, Colorado
Spoiler

I think that if he dose get the skill that simply it will still be at level zero; he will still have to read the book and then the skill experience won't raise much from just that and even if the skill were maxed out its power would be dependent on his level, right now he don't have enough MP to do much with a skill that requires the use of magic.   

You must die, I alone am best!

Posted Image

Signature: a swordsman in ‘Magician’

Spoiler

storyeater

storyeater

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • Locationbehind you

Well, this is akin to the question: can god create a rock so heavy he cannot lift it?

In this case (leaving aside the inner contradiction of the question and just assuming Gaia is not omnipotent), I think we can safely assume that Gaia can go from car crashes to meteor hits and volcanic eruptions and earthquakes and whatnot, and that she cannot make someone so powerful that she is left without an accident violent enough to kill them.

Unless, of course, she transfers the greater part of her own power to said person, which would make that person her successor in controlling the destiny of this world, and thus the whole Interference Law would become moot to that person.

After all, law is embodied in enforcement power: one doesn't exist without the other.

For that I point you to exalted tabletop rpg:an exaltation (in overly simplified words:a powerup for mortals created by gods to defeat even more powerful titans)is something that is intristically locked to the being that gave it to you,as far as ability theme goes.Nevertheless,surpassing those gods is possible (not easy,mind you)by design,since it is more akin to upgrading a being to a higher order of existence than lending it a weapon,(btw,these powers cannot be taken back by the gods by their own design).Also,is Gaia willing to potentially kill a big number of people and cause huge amount of devastation just to get to him?Sure,a volcano might do the trick (as long as the level cap is not disgaea-like)but would it be worth it to destroy a city?Even if Gaia is neutral,or even evil,it might not bode well for her to do such a thing

On a side note,when I first saw this discussion's title I thought it was about what abilities future ability users would have.

On a side side note,since I do not like to start a conversation without adding something to a discussion's original intent,judging for  the title image talent with swords/edgesd weapons/slashing weapons (it could have any of this three titles,or ever another,but you guessed the spirit of what I am saying,right?)

Ignorance is a bliss...until you actually understand how many people ,including sometimes yourself,this ignorance destroyed.But,I guess that,when you understant that,you wont be ignorant anymore.

He who does not understand his mistakes,does not learn.He who does not learn,does not grow.He who does not grow,is already dead.

Moderation is the key to virtue.

Everyone claims that he learns from his mistakes,and yet,very few people do.Ah,pride,is it that you are so well hidden from a man's eyes?

Purple Library Guy

Purple Library Guy

Fried Potato

• Donator
  • 695 posts
  • LocationCheck Rivendell, or Vorbarr Sultana, or Adrilankha. No? Try Vancouver.

For practical purposes it sure seems like people accept that breaking the rules = death.  Maybe not instantly, but Gaia will get you if you mess up too much.

Otherwise all the illusion barrier stuff wouldn't be worth the time, and there would be at least a few people so tough that they'd gone rogue and no longer bothered.  Apparently this doesn't happen.

Although who knows?  Maybe we'll see a big bad at some point who actually intends to overturn the cosmos and hijack Gaia's power, literally trying for World Domination.

L3zl13

L3zl13

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

I'm much more interested what other generic game-type abilities he will discover.

Attack or healing skills are cool but it's not different from any other kind of power from any other manga/manhwa whatever. It could be ninjutsu or devil fruit power just as well.

His most awesome abilities are gamer body, gamer mind, seeing other people-s level (even without observe!),  inventory, learning complex skills by doing/trying to do it or by skill books, maybe there will be some skills he will get via quest.

I wonder if he will get such generic MMO stuff in the future as "creating a party", "add to friendlist", "whisper"  - these would be great for communication/coordination with his friend (and later other ability users probably) in the future.

I also wondered if he could create a party with his friend, could he use healing items on him? If he used it on another person would it work the same way as in games? (Everything can be healed perfectly in seconds with a strong/lot enough healing items.)

The last (10th) chapter gave us skill books, but I wonder what else will he discover about his gamer skills.

And here is the most intriguing question: Is he maybe immortal? In every MMO users can resurrect after dying!

Maestro

Maestro

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 19 posts

Something like a sprint skill is pretty common in games, I could see him getting that.
If he's getting titles now, maybe achievements will come in the future? Achievements sometimes give titles, too

And here is the most intriguing question: Is he maybe immortal? In every MMO users can resurrect after dying!

If he can rez after dying, he might be able to get away with breaking the rules o_o OP

I wonder if he can open up a map/fast travel

Edited by Maestro, 23 November 2013 - 04:09 PM.

"If you are not too long, I will wait here for you all my life."

castleguard215

castleguard215

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 10 posts

Something like a sprint skill is pretty common in games, I could see him getting that.
If he's getting titles now, maybe achievements will come in the future? Achievements sometimes give titles, too

If he can rez after dying, he might be able to get away with breaking the rules o_o OP

It really depends if the real world is in Ironman mode or not. Depending on the game and difficulty some games have no going back from the dead. Think diablo 2 when you play a hardcore character. Once your dead you have to start a new game. Also other games don't allow saving so if your dead game over as well. I don't see him gaining a save and load function so the safest thing to assume is that he is not immortal.

JackApostrophe

JackApostrophe

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 315 posts

Fast travel I doubt, but I'd be surprised if he didn't have a map function of some sort. After all he didn't realise he had an Inventory screen until he thought to try.

FUG

FUG

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 40 posts

I could see him getting either an active skill or a passive skill (or both) that increases his running speed.  There are also some games where you can run faster by increasing your dex stat, and he might be able to increase his stamina with the vit stat.

sorrow

sorrow

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 442 posts
  • LocationThe States, Colorado

I would not be surprised because his friend did say some people learn to teleport he may have to learn a skill or get an item for it first as is required in many games. 

You must die, I alone am best!

Posted Image

Signature: a swordsman in ‘Magician’

Spoiler

Lunari

Lunari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • Locationin your Mind.

I find it interesting to give him the "Power Strike" ability, but not a "Dodge" ability.
He has to react all alone, and no skills seems to help him evade attacks, except his own reflexes. A "Dodge" skill with % to completely dodge, would be stupid indeed.

I on the other hand, would love a dodge ability. It's a must have for any character going agi. It just doesn't have to work this way.

Most abilities just reflect how good/adept he is at them, so there should be a dodge rate/skill. What brings them to another level are the bonus, characteristics, things like that. So, it would just represent how good he is at it...
Higher levels could boost his dodging chance...
Now for what would make it especial, it could be that at higher levels he can see the attacks coming and where they will hit.
This gives him a higher chance of dodging, but if the attack is too fast for him, he still won't be able to do anything.
And in really higher levels it could give him the ability to sense danger, so even if he doesn't know what is coming, he knows something is, and he had to get out of there. Fast . But the danger could be on a large scale and get him even if he tries to flee.
Think of it as something like the spider sense xD

I've been thinking about what Sun-Il said about the Interference Law... normally my instincts in a game are to go for a Mage build/class, but it seems like the best powers in this world are actually the ones that are low key.

Take Jee-Han's melee weapon skills. Right now if you saw him fighting with a bat, all you'd think was that he was fairly strong and pretty good with a weapon, which is something almost anyone could become if they put their minds to it.

Of course if you level even ordinary skills too high then they can become dramatic. For example his Physical Endurance skill could theoretically level up to the point that ordinary amounts of force don't affect him, which someone could spot. If he gets hit by a car and walks away then people are bound to think something crazy is going on.

Melee skills can be overkill too.
Sure maybe not using a bat, and even some active skills could be seen as normal, but...
High level skills are going to be flashy, our have such an impact that they can't be considered normal.
Also, in most of games unless he's going monk/martial artist, relying only in blunt weapons isn't the best idea. There's always an enemy immune to it, or that can only be killed if had the head sliced and so what...
And no matter how I think of it, a guy suddenly pulling a 2-handed sword and rushing onto someone is startling/bizarre enough. And if then he literally goes beserk, veins start popping, his eyes going blank, getting all red and drooling...

And, stats too. o/
If someone can jump so far that seems like flying, can punch holes on the floor/walls, and move so fast the eyes can't see, it'd creep people off. Ultra-High level stats are also "supernatural" enough.
Sure, you may keep them in check most of the time, but the moment something startles you, you react subconsciously.

Even if he wouldn't get punished by Gaia, there must be a reason why his friend only punched the wall inside the barrier (besides not destroying school property, that is :D)

Int and wisdom would be more difficult to show off like this, actually...
And the base stats for those magic skills you know you have to use inside the ID, right? ^-^

I had more things to comment on, but the post is already ehhh""
I'll be back later o/

bkaa22

bkaa22

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 219 posts

What are the chances that he will be able to look at other people's stats? Maybe if his Obeserve skill gets high enough.

Olinser

Olinser

Potato

• Members
  • 144 posts

CLEARLY he needs to go out on a date with Sun-Il's cousin and start unlocking skills like Flirt and Kiss.

JackApostrophe

JackApostrophe

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 315 posts

CLEARLY he needs to go out on a date with Sun-Il's cousin and start unlocking skills like Flirt and Kiss.

If he goes out with her he's more likely to level up his Physical Endurance skill.

Olinser

Olinser

Potato

• Members
  • 144 posts

If he goes out with her he's more likely to level up his Physical Endurance skill.

Nah he just needs to level up his 'Pacify Tsundere' skill.

JackApostrophe

JackApostrophe

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 315 posts

Nah he just needs to level up his 'Pacify Tsundere' skill.

She might turn out to be a tsundere eventually but right now she isn't one.

IceEmerald

IceEmerald

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts

In chapter 15 he will start Chunbumoon training. Since he learned Sword and Martial Art techniques, he will most probably practice swordplay and hand-to-hand combat, giving him Sword Mastery and Hand-to-hand Combat Mastery and a generic active Sword and Martial Art skill. Then most probably he will get could of Chunbumoon active skills during training as well.

What I'm curious about is the limitations of his Book Skill learning ability. So far it is clear that he can learn various clan's martial art skills that way. What about regular martial arts? If he went to a bookstore and picked up a boxing, fencing or karate book, would he be able to learn it like that? A medical book? Cookbook? If he can I guess he would get a message like "You have to buy the book before you can learn the skill" :))

dhaew

dhaew

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts

It's a far reach but I think an interesting ending to the whole series could be that he starts hacking, and gets some really crazy powers, and uses them to take out some really evil guys. but of course since hacking is a no-no, Gaea will have him killed. 

Olinser

Olinser

Potato

• Members
  • 144 posts

In chapter 15 he will start Chunbumoon training. Since he learned Sword and Martial Art techniques, he will most probably practice swordplay and hand-to-hand combat, giving him Sword Mastery and Hand-to-hand Combat Mastery and a generic active Sword and Martial Art skill. Then most probably he will get could of Chunbumoon active skills during training as well.

What I'm curious about is the limitations of his Book Skill learning ability. So far it is clear that he can learn various clan's martial art skills that way. What about regular martial arts? If he went to a bookstore and picked up a boxing, fencing or karate book, would he be able to learn it like that? A medical book? Cookbook? If he can I guess he would get a message like "You have to buy the book before you can learn the skill" :))

It's a possibility. They would actually have to be instructional books though, not history/information.

Cookbooks should definitely count as skill books.