Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.7 - 929votes)

Kingdom

Alt Names: alt キングダムalt Chiến quốcalt 王者天下alt El Reinoalt History of Qinalt Il Regnoalt Kaharianalt Karaļvalstsalt Karalystėalt Kerajaanalt Kongerigealt Koninkrijkalt Krallıkalt Królestwoalt Royaumealt Tsardomalt مملكةalt Кралствоalt Царствоalt ממלכהalt امپراطوری
Author: Hara Yasuhisa
Artist: Hara Yasuhisa
Genres: Action ActionAdventure AdventureAward Winning Award WinningComedy ComedyDrama DramaFantasy FantasyHistorical HistoricalMartial Arts Martial ArtsSeinen SeinenTragedy Tragedy
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Millions of years have passed since the times of legends, when the worlds of man and gods were still the same. In these times it was the desires of man that moved the world. It is the era of the 500 year war: The warring states period. Kingdom is the story of a young boy named Shin who grew into a great general and all the trials and bloodshed that lead him there.

Won the 17th Tezuka Osamu Cultural Award Grand Prize.

Related:

> Kingdom one-shots:
1. Li Mu
( http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/li-mu-r9692 )
2. Meng Wu and Chu Zi (Note: Contain spoilers to future events of the main story)
( http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/meng-wu-and-chu-zi-r10078 )
Go to Kingdom Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments
The following content is intended for mature audiences and may contain sexual themes, gore, violence and/or strong language. Discretion is advised.

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Kingdom Spoiler thread New Window Ace Baragan
  • 6 Replies
Topic Where did the chapters go? New Window Koreachess
  • 1 Replies
Topic Jump attacks and other unreallistic attacks. New Window l3alistic
  • 6 Replies
Topic Most feels death New Window icedpyro
  • 11 Replies
Topic Latest Chapter Discussion Thread New Window OnePunchManFan
  • 174 Replies
Topic Does Houken really worth for Zhao 3 heaven general titile? New Window Roxis
  • 0 Replies

4978 Comments

gyou's lord does resemble angela merkel a bit. 

there's a good reason why in Lieber Code:

'War is not carried on by arms alone. It is lawful to starve the hostile belligerent, armed or unarmed, so that it leads to the speedier subjugation of the enemy. … When a commander of a besieged place expels the non-combatants, in order to lessen the number of those who consume his stock of provisions, it is lawful, though an extreme measures, to drive them back, so as to hasten on the surrender.'

they had to add that because the strategy can be extremely effective provided the right condition, and were repeatedly used throughout the history (at the cost of the civilians)

generally speaking, how long a defender in a besieged location can last (factoring out things like damage from the siege itself), depends heavily on how many ppl are inside the location... how much stores of food they have... whether they have access to supply (from sea for instance)... etc...

a city with small garrison force (relative to the food supply) with sea access (port) can potentially last for a VERY long time (blockading sea port is a lot harder than it sound because a supply ship can  break through blockade temporarily and bring in supply with the help of a fleet)

while a large garrison in a small city on land is going to last a lot shorter if they can't break through the siege.. and generally as starvation kicks in, another thing kills the defender from inside... ie: disease, because famine and disease... goes hand in hand ESPECIALLY in crowded environment.

the worst possible scenario for the besieged defender is to have even more ppl within that consumes resources, but cannot help defend the location.. hence why the best course of action for them is to expel the civilians out... reducing the consumption of resources (and the potential for disease to sets in as well) and extending the duration they can last in that siege.

this is why in some siege cases, you find cities that simply barred their door against refugees... it's not usually because they r just heartless bastard (one had to be to an extent to participate war in the first place) but also because of the above...

Now... what do you do when you ALREADY take refugees in

and you CAN'T EXPEL THEM OUT (because there's a fate worse than death waiting for them out the gate and no refugees in the right mind would even think of stepping out)?

Spoiler

Anyway, this whole stratagem strikes me as super stupid. Food is not that important to humans. Even if they had ZERO proper supplies left by the time the city got encircled (and this seems not to be the case), their people should be able to last for at least two weeks before being too weak to mount a proper defense (even without figuring in eating pets, rats and corpses). Yet the Qin army has nowhere near that much time to spare, has it?

So in the end, what did this accomplish? Honestly, I hope the theories about the Qin having sent soldiers hidden among the refugees turn out to be true because as it stands this seems fairly pointless.

Oh and as a side note, how were the Qin surprised by the city’s defenses? Did they never, in all their months of planning, send spies to check it out?

Starving the defender is the easiest and the most used siege strategy during the middle ages (900 - 1400s)

Hannibal did it during the 2nd Punic War, almost broke the Romans if Scipio didnt counter his stratagem

Its costly though

That Kanki - Ousen duo though.

Mougu would be proud.

Man, you're fucking stupid.

short and on point, i like you

NEWEST CHAPTER IS HYPEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Spoiler

Anyway, this whole stratagem strikes me as super stupid. Food is not that important to humans. Even if they had ZERO proper supplies left by the time the city got encircled (and this seems not to be the case), their people should be able to last for at least two weeks before being too weak to mount a proper defense (even without figuring in eating pets, rats and corpses). Yet the Qin army has nowhere near that much time to spare, has it?

So in the end, what did this accomplish? Honestly, I hope the theories about the Qin having sent soldiers hidden among the refugees turn out to be true because as it stands this seems fairly pointless.

Oh and as a side note, how were the Qin surprised by the city’s defenses? Did they never, in all their months of planning, send spies to check it out?

Man, you're fucking stupid.

Spoiler

What Ousen did was pretty much just laying siege in a medival way.

Try fighting without food. Sure you can last several weeks without, but not in fighting shape.

In addition the massive influx of people will diminish morale, most of them had to walk for days without food or water after all.

Furthermore the city should be well above capacity now. Diseases will spread like mad very soon.

Ousen on the other side could raid additional supplies from the nine cities.

I also have this odd suspicion that for some reason they might just leave Gyou and go in attacking the inner zone of Zhou.  Technically Gyou will eat itself to nothing, and then starve.  If Qin leaves, Gyou could open their gates, but in reality Gyou would be so fucked at that point that it's not worth it to even waste time attacking Gyou, when they could just go all in.

Gyou could technically become a stronghold again, but who knows.  I'm not sure if the Qin are trying to use Gyou as a stronghold to put pressure on Zhou, or if they are going all in.  

[/spoiler]

I haven't read the newest chapters, but will update after reading them on SenseScans.

Even if they had sent spies, I'd imagine the spies wouldn't have the same training as their strategists, who were the only ones able to recognize the flaw in the city's defenses.

I suppose that is another option but one that seems unlikely. After all, they were just fed and for them to really hunger again it would take a few days at least, no? Also, if the trained soldiers started slaying rebels left and right I’m not sure how many of them would be brave enough to keep it up.

But I guess we’ll soon see either way.

Spoiler

It depend on how Hara takes this, but it's a given the peasants will rebel and try to open the gates to get to another city when there's no food

Especially when Ousen is a good guy that won't harm them according to their experiences. This will be even more effective if a few Qin soldiers mixed in and try to provoke the peasants from inside
Spoiler

A ... a few hours? You don’t actually think that the events of chapter 516 took place in a single day, do you? Taking just a single city took them half a day, they said.

Also, according to Ten the food supplies they captured barely even make up for the time spent capturing each city so I don’t think they really got much of a net benefit in that regard from these conquests.

Spoiler

Hope the next chapter comes out soon... :(

So overall we have 10 or so cities worth of citizens that rushed to Gyou starving, who already ate 6 granaries of food within a few hours, coupled with an  enemy army of 150k with their own food stocks, plus 10 cities worth of food.

A ... a few hours? You don’t actually think that the events of chapter 516 took place in a single day, do you? Taking just a single city took them half a day, they said.

Also, according to Ten the food supplies they captured barely even make up for the time spent capturing each city so I don’t think they really got much of a net benefit in that regard from these conquests.

Honestly, taking the city is pointless if they can't re-establish the supply line back to Qin so that they can hold the city, and to do that they first need to decisively beat the Zhao armies in the field to a point that Zhao can't carry out a major campaign for the next few years.

There are a bunch of tactics that Ousen devised to not only keep their current food supplies stocked heavily, but to taken down Zhou fast, as well as allow the supply line to be re-established if need be (which I doubt will happen).

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Honestly, taking the city is pointless if they can't re-establish the supply line back to Qin so that they can hold the city, and to do that they first need to decisively beat the Zhao armies in the field to a point that Zhao can't carry out a major campaign for the next few years.

Ousen ftw....  What a chapter.

Newest chapter was interesting, love seeing the reactions in Kanyou.

One thing I forgot to mention below is that

Spoiler

I wonder what will happen next, exciting events underway.

Spoiler

Spoiler

There seems to be many different periods within China's history.  I'm curious why the Author decided on the Warring states period for Kingdom, and I wonder if they will do other periods as well?

I've seen a lot of mention of the "Three Kingdoms" in other series, so I'm curious if the "Three Kingdoms" is a must read as well?  

I really would love to read more about the history of China, so not sure if there are other great novels people would recommend?  I'm also curious how those who have read the actual "Warring States Period" compare it to "Kingdom?"  How far off the path is Kingdom from the real story, and was there a lot of elements added to make "Kingdom" much better than what we read get from History?

The answer is simple. It is one of the few time period where China is not a unified country. The Three Kingdom period is the other major time period when China is not unified, so most of the "interesting" stories took place there.

If you look at historical Japanese Manga, a ton of them are set in the Sangoukou period, when Japan also was not unified under one ruler. Same deal.

"An army marches on its stomach." - Napoleon

"An army defends against a siege on its stomach, too." - Ousen

"Logistics win wars" - also Napoleon I guess?

anyhoo

Spoiler

There seems to be many different periods within China's history.  I'm curious why the Author decided on the Warring states period for Kingdom, and I wonder if they will do other periods as well?

I've seen a lot of mention of the "Three Kingdoms" in other series, so I'm curious if the "Three Kingdoms" is a must read as well?  

I really would love to read more about the history of China, so not sure if there are other great novels people would recommend?  I'm also curious how those who have read the actual "Warring States Period" compare it to "Kingdom?"  How far off the path is Kingdom from the real story, and was there a lot of elements added to make "Kingdom" much better than what we read get from History?

A very good question.

As to why the author chose this particular period for his work, well one can't really tell. Can we? I'm guessing this period interested him in a way. Before he started Kingdom, he made 2 one-shots. One on Riboku and the other on Shouheikun (god! I hope I'm spelling the name right!) So he had some interest in this particular period of Chinese history from the start. Also, though there are historical records for this period there is also a lot of room for interpolations and artistic license.

Look at Hara's depiction of many events and characters in the manga, very different from history. (To the point of being historically inaccurate I might add! Look at the many events added as 'filler' that did not take place in history!). There is another series very similar to Kingdom in art and narrative based on the Chu-Han contention. Someone posted a link a while back about it in the comments. Better check that out.

For me personally, the Three Kingdoms is one of my favourite periods in Chinese History. Thats probably owing to the fact that I have played 3 Dynasty Warrior games. But then again, that period is rich in itself. Kind of the Renaissance of Europe if you will (Though they both are very different periods!) I call it that because China would never ever experience such an age ever again. The fall of the Han dynasty reverberated throughout the world during those times. The effects were felt till Rome (as trade dried up and the silk route fell in disrepair). 

The fame of this period can be attributed to a single text "The Romance of The Three Kingdoms". It is one of the 4 Great Classical Novels of China. And the effect this book had on the culture, literature, drama etc can be compared to the effect  Shakespeare had on Western culture. There is a saying in Chinese opera: "3000 for Tang, 800 for Sung, and endless number for the Three Kingdoms." That's just how famous & influential that period really is.

So yes. I would recommend you to read the novel, and also if you want, read a manga by Yokayama Mitsuteru called Sangokushi. The manga is old. More than 30-40 years old I think. So the art style would be different. Like that of Osamu Tezuka. But's it still good, and largely adhere's to the novel faithfully.

After you have read the novel. I would "strongly" recommend a Hong Kong manhua called The Ravages of Time (TRoT). I can assure you, there is no greater work in manga/manhua/manhwa right now. Yes! not even Kingdom! (I'm guessing I'm going to get a lot of hate for this! lol!). Berserk and Vagabond would have come close, but Berserk is in a slump currently and Vagabond hasn't been updated for more than 2 years now I think. TRoT is simply breathtaking. The schemes, the stratagems, the political manoeuvrings, the mind games, the philosophical musings, the seriously badass curbstomp battles.  And the author reinterprets history in such a way that it is actually believable (more believable than the novel at any rate).

I would recommend reading Sangokushi or the novel before, as the author assumes that you're already familiar with the history of the period. It can be confusing in the beginning for those who are not familiar. This is a mature work. And by mature I don't mean there is any sleazy stuff in the work. It doesn't even have ecchi, but rather there is no handholding or explanation like in other mangas. This is a work of Literature. With a capital L! its that good!

As to other novels I would recommend Water margin, also one of the 4 classical texts of china.

As to comparing actual history written by Sima Qian to Kingdom, all I can say is that Kingdom is ~30% history and ~70% fiction. These figures can vary though. For e.g. Till the Alliance arc, I would say Kingdom was ~60% history and ~40% fiction. The author had filled holes in the historical knowledge/information with his own stories. But after that, it was mostly fiction. Hara sensei is now just following the historical timeline and the main events that cannot be changed loosely. 

I personally prefer history to fiction. Though I can enjoy a work that reinterprets historical facts, Like TRoT, Vagabond, Historie, Kingdom, Buddha etc. As this manga has been your introduction to Chinese period, you'll probably prefer this to actual historical records. But if you wish I can send you some pdf's on chinese history. Its really interesting in itself. 

"An army marches on its stomach." - Napoleon

"An army defends against a siege on its stomach, too." - Ousen

Spoiler

Spoiler

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics