Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.72 - 274votes)

3-gatsu no Lion

Alt Names: alt 3月のライオンalt March Comes in Like a Lionalt Sangatsu no Lionalt Un marzo da leonialt Мартовский лев
Author: Umino Chica
Artist: Umino Chica
Genres: Award Winning Award WinningComedy ComedyDrama DramaRomance RomanceSeinen SeinenSlice of Life Slice of LifeSports Sports
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Kiriyama Rei is a 17 year old professional shogi player and very good at it, but in real life, he has nothing. Quiet and not very social, Rei has no family, no friends, and he doesn't go to school. He is acquainted with a neighboring woman named Akari who is single-handedly raising her two younger sisters, Momo and Hinata.
This is a slice-of-life-ish seinen manga, with strong monologues and reflections by Rei.

Nominated for the 2nd Manga Taisho Award (2009) and the 4th Manga Taisho Award (2011). Winner of the 35th Kodansha Manga Awards for Best General Manga with Uchuu Kyoudai
Go to 3-gatsu no Lion Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Thus, I reviewed 3-gatsu no Lion New Window Swifft
  • 0 Replies
Topic Who do you want Akari to end up with? New Window RaRaRasputin
  • 20 Replies
Topic Episodes Discussion New Window Blue Flaming Wings
  • 9 Replies
Topic Spoilers thread New Window RaRaRasputin
  • 10 Replies
Topic Almost in a Class of its' Own New Window Comadrin
  • 36 Replies
Topic Made a TV Tropes page for this series New Window Vance Finiraldi
  • 4 Replies

614 Comments

This series is amazing. Why no team has picked up this series yet!?

no chapters yet T_T waiting for at least a year now...

Yep its a tragedy that no one has picked this up :< the manga is at like chapter 100

no chapters yet T_T waiting for at least a year now...

Frustration!  This a manga with a fine story. It needs to be continued.

This is a damn good manga. All of those naysayers that proclaim that manga can't possibly be art, I direct you to this title.

It is not art due to the art style, but the story telling. It's deep and possesses a beautiful flow, much like the river mentioned several times in this story.

Oh my, this is seriously great. 

Please, somebody pick it up, PLEASE.

I really hope that this continues.

The current group is inactive, though... Some other group will have to pick it up if they remain as such. >.<

I really hope that this continues.

I really want to see more of Kyoko and Rei's relationship. It's interesting, to say the least. She probably has the most influence on him at this point.

I just want to see them two bang each other. There's no need for relationship LOL.

I really want to see more of Kyoko and Rei's relationship. It's interesting, to say the least. She probably has the most influence on him at this point.

wow, I've read several shogi stories and this one takes the cake by far.  Glad to have found it.

This manga is like avant-garde Suprematist painting.
god damn, I'm glad I held back when it was first released, soooooo good with uchuu too, dat feel :3
Thanks, Be With You Scans. I really enjoyed this chapter. You guys rock for being able to translate what is some really complicated dialogue (not as straight forward as a shoujo romance or an action manga). Really great job in getting the emotions and thought processes of the characters across.
Weird. This chapter (32) seems slight, like nothing much happened, and then if I look at it from a slightly different angle, a whole lot happened. Like, he made a huge breakthrough, but not for any especially huge reason--I guess he was ready to?
The more I read, the less I understand, where the plot is heading to and what is actually happening there.
I wouldn't say Rei leaving Kouda's home now makes more sense, per se...

Spoiler
Ahhhh! The romantic plot has finally truly reared its head! And suddenly Rei's decision to move out on his on makes more sense!
Its like everything is coming together at once! :'D Awesome! This series is awesome!
Y'know, I'm thinking I need to go back and read from the beginning again.
double release?? Sweet
@Jeanjake: Wait till you see this one chapter that comes up in a future volume. =P
This is a pleasant read . Nice for a change of pace … I love it . The feelings of loneliness and being helpless , and being able to live through all of that . This is deep … real deep .
… Follow .
14 pages ... wut?
Gotta shout out to Be With You Scans "Thanks for bringing us 3 Gatsu no Lion!"
Purple Library Guy
He already has a relationship with his sister. He loves her, but at the same time hes acutely aware that her only goal is to make him miserable. Her two speak, even her relationships, she uses them as a weapon to attack. Despite all that, he knows that he can't not think about her and thats why he ran away. Its not a healthy relationship but it is the one hes in. He hates gotah for instance not because hes bad for her, but because she says she likes him thus hes jealous of him. Even though he already knows she only likes him to hurt him. >>>> Fun story.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics