Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.72 - 274votes)

3-gatsu no Lion

Alt Names: alt 3月のライオンalt March Comes in Like a Lionalt Sangatsu no Lionalt Un marzo da leonialt Мартовский лев
Author: Umino Chica
Artist: Umino Chica
Genres: Award Winning Award WinningComedy ComedyDrama DramaRomance RomanceSeinen SeinenSlice of Life Slice of LifeSports Sports
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Kiriyama Rei is a 17 year old professional shogi player and very good at it, but in real life, he has nothing. Quiet and not very social, Rei has no family, no friends, and he doesn't go to school. He is acquainted with a neighboring woman named Akari who is single-handedly raising her two younger sisters, Momo and Hinata.
This is a slice-of-life-ish seinen manga, with strong monologues and reflections by Rei.

Nominated for the 2nd Manga Taisho Award (2009) and the 4th Manga Taisho Award (2011). Winner of the 35th Kodansha Manga Awards for Best General Manga with Uchuu Kyoudai
Go to 3-gatsu no Lion Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Thus, I reviewed 3-gatsu no Lion New Window Swifft
  • 0 Replies
Topic Who do you want Akari to end up with? New Window RaRaRasputin
  • 20 Replies
Topic Episodes Discussion New Window Blue Flaming Wings
  • 9 Replies
Topic Spoilers thread New Window RaRaRasputin
  • 10 Replies
Topic Almost in a Class of its' Own New Window Comadrin
  • 36 Replies
Topic Made a TV Tropes page for this series New Window Vance Finiraldi
  • 4 Replies

614 Comments

Thanks, No Group.  I'm totally amazed that you folks can put out a manga that must be royally difficult to translate in such short order.  Good scans, good grammar, and fine reading.

Uh, Nozomi... Did you mean Kyoko and not Akari?  And yes, I agree with you.

Thank you so much to the individuals who have scanlated this series in the past, as well as the ones who have picked it up. Thanks for all your effort! I'm glad I can read this, it's one of my favorites. 

That's telling her! Kyoko needs to be growled at a bit more in my opinion!

Still feel badly for the entire situation between Rei and Kyoko, but frankly Kyoko needs to move on with her life and let go of her resentments and self destructive actions. :(

Easier said than done, I know, but she (and Rei of course) would be so much happier.

Edit: Thanks for catching that Comradin. ^^

Oh don't believe this...we...we got another chapter. Is this real life? Is this fantasy?

There is a nice family to join right over there Rei. Nothing wrong with a "stray" wanting a loving home...

Thank you for picking this up again, such a wonderful manga. 

One of the most beautiful mangas I've ever read thanks for the scans 

Hard to believe two in a row so fast of a difficult manga like this.  Not gonna pinch myself lest it go away.

No Group and merc_919, thanks for the two chapter blast of a real favorite of mine.  I rate this manga as totally top-tier, and really enjoyed the two chapters appearing after over a year.

Thank you very much for the chapter, Merc_919 :D

Whoa. Hell yeah!

YES! FUCKING YES! IT'S FINALLY BACK.

You gotta love that serious attention on translation here. How often do you see obi translated? Huh? WANNA GO TO MY PLACE AND DISCUSS THIS?! BEAVER TACTICS!!!

THIS MAKES ME SO HAPPY!!

My thanks to everyone involved in the scanlation, this series deserved to be continued. Good job and please keep it up.

OH MY GAWD! My heart almost stopped, thank you merc_919 I Love you.

Oh, awesome. Someone decided to take a shot at this. And save for a few quirks, a solid scanlation job.

Though I should point out that this release is missing the chapter's last three pages, for those who didn't quite pick up on that when it appeared to end abruptly. >.o

Also shouldn't the new guy's surname be Shigeta, not Shigeda? In the raws I have, I don't see a dakuten on the last kana in the furigana next to the kanji of his name nor do I see it when it's written out in more legible hiragana in Shimada's out-of-bubble side statement in the same panel. I hate to be nitpicky about that right away (especially after getting a release after so long), but since he does show up more than once, might as well get that cleared up sooner rather than later.

back!

Here I had thought this one entered the abyss.

AW SHIT

It fucking updated

If this is a dream then don't wake me up.

Weird this and Nanika Mochigatte masu ka got an

update todayand both have more than a year with

out one and im happy for that.

O_O

Very good slice of life manga, if there was a bit of romance I would immensily enjoyed it even more. But still a very good manga. I hope somoene picks up this up.

According to the raws it seems that Hina is the official ship for Rei, more of a subplot though, as the story still focuses on Rei's character development

This series is amazing. Why no team has picked up this series yet!?

It's a difficult series to pick up.

• 3nL is a seinen series loaded with a bunch of kanji, with little (i.e. only when absolutely necessary) furigana to aid a budding translator. It's not like with shounen/shoujo manga where translations can easily be pumped out within a span of about a day; it needs someone with both experience and a sizable knowledge of kanji to competently and efficiently translate.
  • Hardly anyone knows about shogi outside of Japan, which is alienating already to potential prospects. A huge portion of the translators out there would be stepping into unfamiliar territory. Knowledge of shogi-specific jargon and notation may prove to be a necessity from time to time, otherwise it may prove to be a hindrance.
  • This might sound like an optional thing to some people, but this manga wouldn't have drawn in nearly as much people if BWYS and SCXS weren't aware of this manga's strengths, which, as Zeph pointed out, is its rather refined storytelling. A monologue-heavy piece such as this warrants a team that can craft their basic, translated scripts into beautiful prose, lest those monologues lose much of their impact.

TL;DR Version:

• Level of difficulty in translation
  • Research recommended into a game nearly unheard of outside of Japan
  • good translation would require someone on the team with a good grasp for elegant prose or the differences in translation would be jarring.

Honestly, I think we'd either have to wait patiently for quite a while to see this picked up again or actively look for people willing to invest themselves in a project such as this.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics