Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.72 - 274votes)

3-gatsu no Lion

Alt Names: alt 3月のライオンalt March Comes in Like a Lionalt Sangatsu no Lionalt Un marzo da leonialt Мартовский лев
Author: Umino Chica
Artist: Umino Chica
Genres: Award Winning Award WinningComedy ComedyDrama DramaRomance RomanceSeinen SeinenSlice of Life Slice of LifeSports Sports
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Kiriyama Rei is a 17 year old professional shogi player and very good at it, but in real life, he has nothing. Quiet and not very social, Rei has no family, no friends, and he doesn't go to school. He is acquainted with a neighboring woman named Akari who is single-handedly raising her two younger sisters, Momo and Hinata.
This is a slice-of-life-ish seinen manga, with strong monologues and reflections by Rei.

Nominated for the 2nd Manga Taisho Award (2009) and the 4th Manga Taisho Award (2011). Winner of the 35th Kodansha Manga Awards for Best General Manga with Uchuu Kyoudai
Go to 3-gatsu no Lion Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Thus, I reviewed 3-gatsu no Lion New Window Swifft
  • 0 Replies
Topic Who do you want Akari to end up with? New Window RaRaRasputin
  • 20 Replies
Topic Episodes Discussion New Window Blue Flaming Wings
  • 9 Replies
Topic Spoilers thread New Window RaRaRasputin
  • 10 Replies
Topic Almost in a Class of its' Own New Window Comadrin
  • 36 Replies
Topic Made a TV Tropes page for this series New Window Vance Finiraldi
  • 4 Replies

614 Comments

I know, right?  The arc of that cat looks so relaxed!
. . . what?

There was a cat in the picture?

Did we ever see what class Rei's father was in?  Gotou may have just surpassed him.

@Thunder: shouldn't that be in the spoiler tag?

Spoiler

I think that Rei was able to beat his father mostly because it was his father. Rei has been playing against him for more than 10 years. As such, Rei has a deeper knowledge of his father's playing style and personality than most other players.

I suppose that to truly see who is stronger, they would have to play a series of 5 or 7 matches and not just 1.

@Thunder: shouldn't that be in the spoiler tag?
Spoiler

Gotou is Rei's father apprentice, did i catch that right? It opens up the possibilty that Gotou's only view his action as keeping an eye on his teacher daughter.

Idk how to say it properly but even though I think she is evil, I still want Rei and Kyouko's relationship to get better. I think She'd be better off without Gotou anymore but alas no one can help who they love.

Man this manga really stirs up my emotions...

Don't forget Akari works as some sort of hostess and has a "hottie" alter ego away from her normal "housewife" persona (see chapter 3).

Honestly I like her "housewife" outfit(s) more, it adds to her curves and her motherly aura.

Thanks, Be With You Scans, for chapter 33.  I don't really mind who is translating this manga, as I enjoy it so much that overlapping chapters just add to the the pleasure.  I also admire intensively anyone who can translate such a difficult manga.  All of you keep up the good work.

The words are so deep that it hits the heart :_:

I'm not sure where that image is from, but I can't complain either.

Those curves !

I know, right?  The arc of that cat looks so relaxed!

. . . what?

Deep Words.

Don't forget Akari works as some sort of hostess and has a "hottie" alter ego away from her normal "housewife" persona (see chapter 3).

I was wondering so I did a quick search. The picture seems to be the back cover of the 5th volume.

It is Akari, but she is not wearing glasses. It's just her hair playing tricks on us.

Oh! I see that now.

Another chapter, we are so blessed!

Those curves !

I don't even know if this character is in the story ( past or future ). I've been meaning to re-read the whole thing ever since this was picked back up again, to refresh my memory.

Edit : Isn't this Akari with glasses?

I was wondering so I did a quick search. The picture seems to be the back cover of the 5th volume.

It is Akari, but she is not wearing glasses. It's just her hair playing tricks on us.

Another chapter, we are so blessed!

Um, sorry to be superficial when it's this deep manga and all, but . . . 

Since when is the cover picture a scantily clad hottie and a cat?

Not that I'm complaining.

Those curves !

I don't even know if this character is in the story ( past or future ). I've been meaning to re-read the whole thing ever since this was picked back up again, to refresh my memory.

Edit : Isn't this Akari with glasses?

Um, sorry to be superficial when it's this deep manga and all, but . . . 

Since when is the cover picture a scantily clad hottie and a cat?

Not that I'm complaining.

I second that: Thanks No Group and Merc_919, it was a really great chapter.

@Merc_919: thank you for another (great) chapter

Spoiler

Based girl. So much healing in this chapter.

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS

Just started reading this manga, just kept clicking, and just returned to the info page. It went by faster than I thought it would for 30+ chapters. More, I want MORE.

Anyway, thanks to anyone who worked on this.

And that's why sometimes I think that man just can't only be lucky. Even if everything in your life seems to be OK you search for things that make you miserable. Its like you don't know you're happy without being in misery sometimes. Just like one can only appreciate being healthy when you're sick. Anyone who ever had toothache knows what I mean.^^ 

Kyoko is just the same. With a bit more optimistic outlook on life and maybe a friend like Akari she might find inner peace and move on. But yeah...its hard to fight self-destructive impulses. Sometimes it's easier to wallow in self-pity and lash at anyone around you (verbally). Especially when they start to utter words you yourself know just too well. Can't they see that just increases your self-hatred? -.-

@Merc_919: I saw you dropped a note on Be With You Scans's site. Whether you'll continue or return the baton to BWYS I thank you for your solo effort (for ch33 - 35).

Spoiler

Based girl. So much healing in this chapter.

Whoever you are, thanks so much for the translated chapters, was a wonderful surprise!

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics