Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.72 - 274votes)

3-gatsu no Lion

Alt Names: alt 3月のライオンalt March Comes in Like a Lionalt Sangatsu no Lionalt Un marzo da leonialt Мартовский лев
Author: Umino Chica
Artist: Umino Chica
Genres: Award Winning Award WinningComedy ComedyDrama DramaRomance RomanceSeinen SeinenSlice of Life Slice of LifeSports Sports
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Kiriyama Rei is a 17 year old professional shogi player and very good at it, but in real life, he has nothing. Quiet and not very social, Rei has no family, no friends, and he doesn't go to school. He is acquainted with a neighboring woman named Akari who is single-handedly raising her two younger sisters, Momo and Hinata.
This is a slice-of-life-ish seinen manga, with strong monologues and reflections by Rei.

Nominated for the 2nd Manga Taisho Award (2009) and the 4th Manga Taisho Award (2011). Winner of the 35th Kodansha Manga Awards for Best General Manga with Uchuu Kyoudai
Go to 3-gatsu no Lion Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Thus, I reviewed 3-gatsu no Lion New Window Swifft
  • 0 Replies
Topic Who do you want Akari to end up with? New Window RaRaRasputin
  • 20 Replies
Topic Episodes Discussion New Window Blue Flaming Wings
  • 9 Replies
Topic Spoilers thread New Window RaRaRasputin
  • 10 Replies
Topic Almost in a Class of its' Own New Window Comadrin
  • 36 Replies
Topic Made a TV Tropes page for this series New Window Vance Finiraldi
  • 4 Replies

614 Comments

Shimada looks rather young and cool (?). It took me thrice for me to figure out that it was him when i read the raws. 

http://vatoto.com/reader#482ca88acc9ac65a_10math... math doesn't work that way... please someone... tell them that Math doesn't work that way.

Interesting how Shimada doesn't fawn over Akari the first time he meets her. Literally every guy has pointed out her beauty.

It always just overwhelms me when there's suddenly a whole volume of this.  I am so deliriously pleased and it's great as always.

Almost enough to overwhelm my inner stickler for picky details.  Almost.

Spoiler

With the kind of flow you see in this series, I ain't even worried. Whatever happens, I think she'll end up happy.  God though, the image in my spoiler below was absolutely savage, Hina. Poor, poor Rei. With how ultra-specific it is, you almost have to wonder if she did it on purpose. Hang in there, buddy... It's certainly worth it to win her over. She's so freaking adorable these days. Not that she wasn't before. At least Rei got her to see his reliable "adult" side. Her respect for him definitely increased.

Spoiler

Lol I know! When I first read it I straight up thought, "HINA YOU KILLED THE MAN!"

It's time for Shimada x Akari! 

It's actually a reference to the english idiom "March comes in like a Lion, and comes out like a lamb."

Is there anyone who knows Japanese who can tell me why it's "March comes in like a Lion"? Shouldn't it be "March's Lion" or something? Is it just for style or what?

Is there anyone who knows Japanese who can tell me why it's "March comes in like a Lion"? Shouldn't it be "March's Lion" or something? Is it just for style or what?

My guess is they wanted the translation to be close to the idiom "March comes in like a lion, goes out of a lamb" Essentially bad weather will become pleasant eventually

But my ship is Rei x Akari :(

Mine is Rei x Kyoko ( step sister)

Satsuma Arc, Lol.  Raidou-san, just stick to playing with Shogi pieces please.

dont read unless you want to be spoiled on akari

Spoiler

But my ship is Rei x Akari :(

Elizabeth chapter was made of awesome.

Haha, Shimada-san! Akari-chan's husbando challenger has appeared.

Spoiler

Dobashi was pretty creepy in his solo chapter but he looked like a really nice guy in the Satsuma arc that I've come to like him

Oh boy. I honestly don't know how to feel about this- but- but- /heavy breathing/ I TRUST UMINO-SENSEI'S JUDGEMENT!!! /throws anxiety out the window/

Btw, we already got two episodes, pretty good visuals and pace for now.

With the kind of flow you see in this series, I ain't even worried. Whatever happens, I think she'll end up happy. 

God though, the image in my spoiler below was absolutely savage, Hina. Poor, poor Rei. With how ultra-specific it is, you almost have to wonder if she did it on purpose. Hang in there, buddy... It's certainly worth it to win her over. She's so freaking adorable these days. Not that she wasn't before. At least Rei got her to see his reliable "adult" side. Her respect for him definitely increased.

Spoiler

The anime adaptation is great and a new volume of the manga is translated today. It truly is a good time being a Sangatsu fans. Once again thank you Hi Wa Mata Noboru scans.

Spoiler

Oh boy. I honestly don't know how to feel about this- but- but- /heavy breathing/ I TRUST UMINO-SENSEI'S JUDGEMENT!!! /throws anxiety out the window/

Btw, we already got two episodes, pretty good visuals and pace for now.

I was on crunchyroll today, and I saw, March comes like a Lion ep 1. It got an anime!!! 

Spoiler

I can't wait for the next chapter.

Rei matchmaking? This is gonna be good.

yes dark sangatsu show me matchmaker rei

Why does this have the Romance tag? I'm on chapter 31 and I haven't notice anything or am I that oblivious? (that freaking stupid) 

Nvm lol

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics