Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.72 - 274votes)

3-gatsu no Lion

Alt Names: alt 3月のライオンalt March Comes in Like a Lionalt Sangatsu no Lionalt Un marzo da leonialt Мартовский лев
Author: Umino Chica
Artist: Umino Chica
Genres: Award Winning Award WinningComedy ComedyDrama DramaRomance RomanceSeinen SeinenSlice of Life Slice of LifeSports Sports
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Kiriyama Rei is a 17 year old professional shogi player and very good at it, but in real life, he has nothing. Quiet and not very social, Rei has no family, no friends, and he doesn't go to school. He is acquainted with a neighboring woman named Akari who is single-handedly raising her two younger sisters, Momo and Hinata.
This is a slice-of-life-ish seinen manga, with strong monologues and reflections by Rei.

Nominated for the 2nd Manga Taisho Award (2009) and the 4th Manga Taisho Award (2011). Winner of the 35th Kodansha Manga Awards for Best General Manga with Uchuu Kyoudai
Go to 3-gatsu no Lion Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Thus, I reviewed 3-gatsu no Lion New Window Swifft
  • 0 Replies
Topic Who do you want Akari to end up with? New Window RaRaRasputin
  • 20 Replies
Topic Episodes Discussion New Window Blue Flaming Wings
  • 9 Replies
Topic Spoilers thread New Window RaRaRasputin
  • 10 Replies
Topic Almost in a Class of its' Own New Window Comadrin
  • 36 Replies
Topic Made a TV Tropes page for this series New Window Vance Finiraldi
  • 4 Replies

614 Comments

Finally caught up on this masterpiece once again

Shimada and Rei's former homeroom teacher.. One of them are going to end up with Akari!

But honestly, I prefer Shimada :)

The first season of the anime ended yesterday at 22 episodes. The second season is announced for October.

Nodame Cantabile's brilliant success in the 2000's set in a minor (?) classical music boom in Japan; assuming 3-gatsu no Lion is doing the same for Shogi, NHK (where it is aired) surely has a vested interest keeping it going strong as long as possible. As shown in the story itself, Japan's traditional media institutions sponsor the Shogi world, I suspect more out of prestige and tradition than economic gain; NHK itself hosts a major competition, the NHK Cup. Surely they are loving the attention and all the new blood!

This isn't the place to review the anime, but I would like to briefly comment that it is, against my fears, a spectacular and extraordinarily faithful adaptation. SHAFT knew this is a flagship project and gave it their all, and the result is a masterpiece worthy of Umino-sensei's original.

Few series reach me on an emotional level quite like this one. I look forward to the future installments.

AHHHHH. I am caught up!!! If there was ever a series deserving of the tag "Award Winning," (and the award accompanying) it is definitely this series. Hopefully SHAFT can pump out one or two more seasons. Hot DAMN, I was not prepared for how GOOD this series is!

I don't ship often, but when I do....
God. I'm rooting for Shimada so hard, it isn't even funny. That guy stole my heart way back when we first met him, and he took it all over again. He would be GREAT for Akari TTuTT

I just wanna see more of the beautiful Shimada <3
And Nikaidou ;3; He hasn't been appearing as often...
And Souya, too, while we're at it. He's too interesting a character to NOT want to know more.

That last page of the chapter, tho, was super heartwarming.
Could care less about the shogi at this point. I'm all in for the Akari Cup! (Actually my one criticism of this as a "sports manga" is that I don't feel any affection for shogi. Contrast Chihayafuru, which is basically a love letter to karuta. Shogi in this manga seems more like an abusive relationship they just can't bring themselves to leave.)

3good5me

Shimada X Onei-chan is looking good! The two of them share a couple similarities too; both have been engrossed with their jobs and declining themselves a "conventional" social life, Akari with raising her sisters, Shimada with his shogi. Both have a background to protect, Akari with her family and Shimada with his home region's honor. Both are quite preceptive of the people around them and willing to be the mentor/adult to Kiriyama. These two can also been seen as foils to each other; one is merry and plump, the other skinny and quiet, I hope the positive symptons of Akari's food on Shimada's chronic stomach pains is a bellweather to a successful ship.
Spoiler

In that case, I'm not sure why it was taken down off of Batoto. But, anyways, n_junj_u, you can find the chapters onine.

As long as a chapter was requested to be taken down by its publisher, Batoto acquiesced and took them down, regardless of whether or not there are plans to release them official in English. 3lion was one of the series that didn't have a clear reason for their takedown request among the many others that got taken down.

They haven't been serialized into English as of yet.

In that case, I'm not sure why it was taken down off of Batoto. But, anyways, n_junj_u, you can find the chapters onine. 

They are on other scanlator sites just type in "Sangatsu no Lion chapter 1" into Google and you'll find it. Additionally, the first 4 volumes have been serialized into English, so you can support the author by buying them!

They haven't been serialized into English as of yet.

That last chapter (126) was really heartwarming.  Hina's incredibly nice friend coming to help; Nikaido San coming to gallant Momo Chan around in his perfect gentleman style; Shimada San showing up to make a perfect get together along with Sensei and Senpai.  It was just perfect.

What happened to the earlier chapters? Just watch the episodes 1-5 last weekend and I want to read the manga? Is it available the scanlators site?

They are on other scanlator sites just type in "Sangatsu no Lion chapter 1" into Google and you'll find it. Additionally, the first 4 volumes have been serialized into English, so you can support the author by buying them!

What happened to the earlier chapters? Just watch the episodes 1-5 last weekend and I want to read the manga? Is it available the scanlators site?

With every chapter the Rei X Akari ship sinks to the bottom of the abyss.. God Damn It!

There's a 3-gatsu no lion discord chat if anyone's interested : https://discord.gg/uTdyWK4

I personally want Shimada x Akari because I want to see the changes that occur to Shimada when someone is there to look after him(he went through such a tough life and is oftened potrayed as the underdog despite his best efforts). However I don't think that Shimada can properly spoil Akari. Sensei, on the other hand, has lived a more common life? I think that can work from his perspective... 

I just want Akari to be happy

Given the current narrative, I doubt the point is to have someone to spoil Akari. It's about someone to support her and be there for her.

I think either one of them could do that, possibly. 

Also, don't forget that Akari loves to take in, feed, and love sickly things, so she could surely have happiness with being with Shimada.

I personally want Shimada x Akari because I want to see the changes that occur to Shimada when someone is there to look after him(he went through such a tough life and is oftened potrayed as the underdog despite his best efforts). However I don't think that Shimada can properly spoil Akari. Sensei, on the other hand, has lived a more common life? I think that can work from his perspective... 

I just want Akari to be happy

Does anyone else get reminded of Hisoka from HxH when they see Namerikawa?

http://vatoto.com/reader#482ca88acc9ac65a_10math... math doesn't work that way... please someone... tell them that Math doesn't work that way.

Shhhh... you mustn't ruin the false bliss but pretty sure they know, just that they needed an excuse to eat more food lol

why does it feels like Rei always end up as the third wheel when it's about romance?

Spoiler

Shimada looks rather young and cool (?). It took me thrice for me to figure out that it was him when i read the raws.

Probably because the manga isn't poking fun at him for being mildly sick at the moment. lol

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics