Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.66 - 96votes)

Trace 2.0

Alt Names: alt 트레이스2
Author: Nasty Cat
Artist: Nasty Cat
Genres: Action ActionComedy ComedyDrama DramaFantasy FantasyMystery MysterySci-fi Sci-fiSeinen SeinenSupernatural SupernaturalTragedy TragedyWebtoon Webtoon
Type: Manhwa (Korean)
Description: Original webtoon from Daum:
http://webtoon.daum.net/webtoon/view/trace2

Now being officially translated on Tapastic :
http://bit.ly/tapastictrace2
Help support the artist!

Prequel:

> Trace 1.5
( http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/trace-15-r2888 )

Prequel:

> Trace ( http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/trace-r112 )

========Batoto Staff Notice=========
Unfortunately the comic (or parts of it) was scanlated by groups that don't allow rehosting. Sorry for the inconvenience.
==========Notice End==============
Go to Trace 2.0 Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic ["Kidnappers" ch18+19+20 up] Trace 2.0 translations New Window bahboh
  • 27 Replies
Topic Haema Color New Window iphiel
  • 0 Replies
Topic Trace 2.0 Raws Discussion New Window Gizmos
  • 25 Replies
Topic How many years have passed since the start of Trace? New Window Whitehalo127
  • 0 Replies
Topic Trace 2.0 discussion New Window truepurple
  • 4 Replies

201 Comments

Spoiler

/mindblown

The note says author, Nasty Cat, is going overseas for a couple weeks. Next chapter will be on April 22.

Well, if you read the raws, you would know already.

The raws come out every Tuesday and Friday, so no point in making a bet on something already revealed last Friday. Just saying.

Ahh, right. Forgot that the raws come out so quickly.
Seems I would have lost my "Bet" besides!
Well, I was only betting imaginary Batoto currency anyways...  : P

We're blasting off again!!!!

Will we ever find out what his trace power does?

Stay tuned for another week.

motherfucking...

cliffhanger.jpg

Damn cliffhangers...

Raws are getting better an better :3

Waited for so long for 1.5 to finish. I only even checked back because I was gonna re-read the Trace (the webtoon that introduced me to the rest) . Now I'm hooked on 2.0. Huge Thanks to Twisted Hel Scans for bringing this one.

Sorry, I just had to gush about chapter 20 (raw spoiler inside):

Spoiler

Ooh, that revelation he had about the members of Swindler has gotten me all excited! :D

As for what his TRACE power is, there are FAR too many possibilities for me to even try guessing...  :\

Now, who do you think the person coming up behind Officer Suh Bumgi is??!

It could possibly be the "armored" TRACE drug dealer....

But I'm going to place my bet on it being Han Sihyun! A.K.A. "Druggie"

He saved him and left him alive for a reason right? So now he's coming to collect that debt!
Any other bet takers? :P

Well, if you read the raws, you would know already.

The raws come out every Tuesday and Friday, so no point in making a bet on something already revealed last Friday. Just saying.

Ooh, that revelation he had about the members of Swindler has gotten me all excited! :D

As for what his TRACE power is, there are FAR too many possibilities for me to even try guessing...  :\

Now, who do you think the person coming up behind Officer Suh Bumgi is??!

It could possibly be the "armored" TRACE drug dealer....

But I'm going to place my bet on it being Han Sihyun! A.K.A. "Druggie"

He saved him and left him alive for a reason right? So now he's coming to collect that debt!
Any other bet takers? :P

Allright, I'm just gonna go ahead and steal this from another comment, but this needs to be said

6cjSaAg.jpg

I'm just gonna go over here and die now.

No need for that. Actually it seems to me you are mostly right:  everything you wrote in your response is also going on, except your last line he decided his own life over hers.  Before then, he was helplessly looking for a way to save them both; up until the minute he was forced to choose a cup.  But even though he hadn't yet found another way, he was going to at least let Yoon live.

200.gif

I'm just gonna go over here and die now.

200.gif

Full on bawling now.

Spoiler

Waaaattttt. Your collective reasoning overwhelms me.

What is this feeling...

Oh God, no.

Not here.

Nooooooooo

200.gif

Ra-leader:

Spoiler

I also think the perspective you came up with is more interesting from a character perspective, but it's just not what happened with him.  Twisted Hel Scans has confirmed as well.

But the destruction of his ideal self and need to face reality still is there, it just is in a different direction.  The contrast is his ideal self - the man who always finds a way to uphold justice - against his real self; a powerless human.

He first realized that he couldn't take them out, even though he really wanted to, for the sake of the others he couldn't act rashly like always. He thought, what does it take to survive?  I have to find a way to save even one more person.  Then he realizes there's no way they can both survive.  If he acts rationally, there is a path to survival for at least one person. he says "in the videos, also, there was always one survivor"  He struggles with the die because he can't decide if they will really let the person who finds the die go, or kill them like last time.  We are led to believe he has chosen to save himself, and only find out afterwards that he was talking about yeon joo. 

When he says "I'm also only human" he was talking about how powerless he was to do anything about his situation.  He also could have had something inside himself that made him hesitate to take the ball as he decided to, but nothing about his internal monologue indicates that.  He does hate his real vs. ideal self, but that hatred is not because he was selfish, but that he curses his powerlessness.  He hates that he couldn't save anyone, not even one person, as his ideal self should have been able to do.  Even with his human limitations, he has been fighting trace and human criminals alike not believing himself to be inferior, only to have the reality of his human powerlessness hit him all at once.  In the face of their abilities, there was literally nothing he could do: he couldn't even fire a single shot. His talk about justice and standing up no matter whether the criminal was trace or not flew out the window, and all he could do was play by their rules, in hopes of doing the one thing he could do; save at least Yeon Joo. but he couldn't do that either.  Just when he had given up on standing up and fighting for justice, Yeon Joo did what he didn't have the courage to do.  She fought back, and played by her own rules, and made him promise to live, catch them and uphold the justice he always talked about protecting with her dying breath. And thus, not only did he not fight back, he couldn't even save Yeon Joo, either.  His analysis was not wrong: he concluded that unless he played by the rules, he couldn't save anyone, and sure enough, after Yoon's sacrifice, they were going to off him anyway; if another trace hadn't intervened, he'd be dead. Additionally, he finds out in ch 18, that he was both saved and condemned in turn by all 3 trace criminals in his life that day.  No matter what he did that day, his fate would have been decided by a trace, and there was nothing he could do about it. Suh is not a character who is afraid of dying; nothing he has ever done indicates that.  He was, however, someone who thought he would always be able to do what's right; trace or no.  That day, he found out he was wrong; that there was nothing he could do against a trace.  "What was I supposed to do back there?! I'm also only human."

He then immediately finds out that he has become a trace, and he's glad that he is no longer only human and wishes he had been more than just human at that time.

The English is consistent with itself and the art because it was made to be. Nasty Cat purposely chose wording to mislead the readers; I was also misled until the reveal at the end, and the Korean is even more poignant on second read, when you realize how much work went into making it so that it could easily be interpreted both ways. It's like watching Madoka ep 10 and then going back to re-watch the series; it was a totally different experience - truly good writing.

But there was a point in English that's inconsistent: when he says "officer yoon can live!" you also noticed how contradictory that would be to what he said in the previous sentence, even according to the scans here.  You concluded that he was deluding himself, but doesn't that make even less sense? Even in English, those opening lines were obviously inconsistent.  Still, your analyses are well thought out given the information you had.

I'm REALLY curious as to what his ability is.

Spoiler

Actually, after seeing this post we commented it with the translator to see if it might be right or wrong, and I'm sorry to tell you it's not a matter of interpretation. We made a mistake which we will be fixing soon. Officer Suh in no moment says "I" which we happened to assume, it's completely ambiguous if he's talking about himself, Officer Yoon or both of them as it's not clarified at all. So while an interpretation is nice the original korean doesn't specify it. So I don't think we should assume that he wanted to save himself. That is for as far as a mistake correction needs to be done. 

As a personal opinion unrelated to Twisted Hel Scans. I think his inner dialogue is about how he regrets surviving, not because he wanted to survive there even if everyone else died, but because he thinks he should have died aswell. As for the rest of the police men they will all think bad of him because in all the other videos uploaded the victims are being "selfish" (or valuing their lives, however you prefer to call it).

Spoiler

I completely disagree with your interpretation. I don't read Korean, so I know my argument is weak from the start, but the artwork and the translation sync up very well - he was struggling because he wanted to save himself too.

If it was as simple as what you said, then all of the internal dialogue contradicts itself - it is completely useless to show someone struggling over something they're committed to doing. If he wanted to save her life and sacrifice his own, then he knew where the ball was, all he needed to do was reach for the cup.

The drama of the scene is consistent with the current translation because he is struggling. All those internal thoughts, not to mention the way the scene dragged on in Ch.14; these things have purpose because they reveal his inability to reconcile himself to death. We see him in a situation where he's responsible for more than one life - and he is paralyzed. All of the cops around him were dying while he just stood there. He has been recklessly putting himself at risk up to this point, so it's even more poignant - when the control of a life-threatening situation is completely taken out of his hands, he ultimately values his life. He can't choose to save her life because he doesn't want to lose his own.

The tortured thoughts that continue into Chapter 16 also reinforce his pain at struggling through that situation. Why is he asking this question if your scenario is correct?:

Spoiler

So, no. I don't take any of my analysis back. This is compelling because he has been shown the contrast between his ideal self - the man of justice - and his real self - a man who is afraid to die.That's just good writing.

Spoiler

That was some next-level analysis, for sure. And yeah, it seems just about right on.

I think either of our interpretations are acceptable. They both play out equally well. And they're both quite similar. yay!

maybe his power is armor line same goes for the title
the higher light in his arm line gets more armor/power

Any wagers on his power? I think it might be related to the power that sends people to another dimension, but the opposite? So that Suh gets power from the realm of troubles. That's my take anyhow.

I recently started Trace and I've gotten up to date now. And I must say, I'm really surprised at how consistent the author is. From beginning to the latest chapter, the quality is top notch.

The way the story is told is just so gripping. Even things I expect unfold in a surprising manner.

One of my all time favourite series.

Sorry, ALL YOU GUYS ARE WRONG.  Suh never wanted to save himself; he was going to sacrifice himself.

The translation for that is not right.  He never once says "I" or "save myself".  Korean doesn't use pronouns unless absolutely necessary, so it was left ambiguous who he was trying to save he just says "there's a way to survive", but we are lead to believe he meant himself. 

Then, in chapter 15, it's revealed:

Going on what these guys say...

If I grab the cup on the left, then (someone) can live.

In the video also there was always only one left alive.

If those guys are telling the truth, then...

(someone) can live!

Just Officer Yoon...

can live!(can be saved!)

No matter what...

even if it's just Yeon Joo....

THAT'S what he really said.  He never tried to save himself; they were both planning to sacrifice themselves for the other.  Although it was misleading on purpose til ch15, so the translators had to put something and chose "I" instead of finding an ambiguous way to do it. Even I thought he had turned selfish for a minute until that chapter, so I would have made the same mistake (I'm a Viki translator), but I can't stand by and let you guys be misled further.  I personally think it's more interesting if he had been selfish, but he wasn't, so the analyses below need to be revised accordingly (really, just Raleader, but I put caps up top in hopes that everyone will read this post); other than that they're great: I'm happy to see people thinking so deeply about this manwha, because it's worth it.

Twisted Hel Scans is doing a great job and I hope they find time to make this correction.  A quick convo with the translator (if they are a native speaker) will show this is right.  

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics