Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.71 - 329votes)

Sidonia no Kishi

Alt Names: alt シドニアの騎士alt Knights of Sidonia
Author: Nihei Tsutomu
Artist: Nihei Tsutomu
Genres: Action ActionAward Winning Award WinningComedy ComedyDrama DramaHarem HaremMecha MechaPsychological PsychologicalRomance RomanceSci-fi Sci-fiSeinen SeinenTragedy Tragedy
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Risking his life to ensure humanity's survival, Tanikaze Nagate rides out in his silver armour, the Tsugumori!

Thousands of years have passed since the Gauna destroyed the Solar System.

The enormous seed ship, Sidonia, travels through space while propagating and producing humans.

Brought up in the lowest decks of Sidonia, a young man, Tanikaze Nagate, becomes a Guardian trainee, and is authorized to pilot the outdated but historically renowned Tsugumori.

The battle with Nagate's life at stake begins now!
Go to Sidonia no Kishi Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic A Relatively Relevant Matter New Window deusvult
  • 5 Replies
Topic Links to the Q&A at Vienna, as depicted in ch. 30.5 New Window either
  • 0 Replies
Topic Possible relations with other works New Window Havoc
  • 12 Replies
Topic Girls of Sidonia Popularity Poll New Window deusvult
  • 1 Replies
Topic Ochiai New Window DarkSpirit
  • 1 Replies
Topic Knights of Sidonia Anime New Window xeixei
  • 13 Replies

664 Comments

We old-school Nihei now.

Indeed. Missed the creepy organic looks.

We old-school Nihei now.

That last page. Oh my...

*going senile*

Chapter 1, page 3. I stared at that handle between the title and the guy's hand thinking "MangaPanda lost his hat"...

Search for Asimov's SOLARIA instead. Solaria in the Asimov unified continuum is a world that rejected human contact in the era of the Robots and by the time of Foundation had evolved (or rather genetically engineered) its own posthuman species characterized by hermaphroditic reproduction, extreme xenophobia (each individual lives alone in a nation-sized estate tended by robots, refusing to engage in contact with other individuals of even its own species), and something resembling telekinesis but based on heat transfer manipulation. Basically, it's a hikkikomori paradise. I think Evan confused Solaria for Solaris.

That said, at least the hermaphroditic element, roboko's existence, the council (modeled similarly to the psychohistory council of Second Foundation) and the implied existence of the Three Laws in Sidonia all reference the Asimov universe. Also, while not yet described explicitly, the end goal of Ochiai somewhat resembles the Gaia Alternative of the Foundation universe, in that he wanted to create a pan-human superconsciousness by merging all humans into a hybridized Gauna form, after which they would be able to form their own self-contained, self-generated, self-controlled ecosystem using the Gauna placenta. Gaia is a world where every living thing in the planet's ecosystem - all the way down to viruses - shares a single unified consciousness. They even use nonliving things as memetic storage equipment, keeping information inside molecules forming the planet's rock strata.

Guys , stahp , you are bringing memories from the Foundation :) Although i have had Lem's Solaris for a long time in my head , i still haven't read it. As you have also noticed , the solar system name Lem - i firstly thought of that :)

A search for Asimov and Solaris pointed to two separate works--Asimov's Foundation and Lem's Solaris. I don't think they're the same thing.

I read Foundation a long time ago....a great sci fi series, but not terrifically applicable to this work. I haven't read Lem's Solaris, but a short description does seem to point to some similarities with Sidonia.

Search for Asimov's SOLARIA instead. Solaria in the Asimov unified continuum is a world that rejected human contact in the era of the Robots and by the time of Foundation had evolved (or rather genetically engineered) its own posthuman species characterized by hermaphroditic reproduction, extreme xenophobia (each individual lives alone in a nation-sized estate tended by robots, refusing to engage in contact with other individuals of even its own species), and something resembling telekinesis but based on heat transfer manipulation. Basically, it's a hikkikomori paradise. I think Evan confused Solaria for Solaris.

That said, at least the hermaphroditic element, roboko's existence, the council (modeled similarly to the psychohistory council of Second Foundation) and the implied existence of the Three Laws in Sidonia all reference the Asimov universe. Also, while not yet described explicitly, the end goal of Ochiai somewhat resembles the Gaia Alternative of the Foundation universe, in that he wanted to create a pan-human superconsciousness by merging all humans into a hybridized Gauna form, after which they would be able to form their own self-contained, self-generated, self-controlled ecosystem using the Gauna placenta. Gaia is a world where every living thing in the planet's ecosystem - all the way down to viruses - shares a single unified consciousness. They even use nonliving things as memetic storage equipment, keeping information inside molecules forming the planet's rock strata.

what's new with v2 ? , is there name changes?

A search for Asimov and Solaris pointed to two separate works--Asimov's Foundation and Lem's Solaris. I don't think they're the same thing.

I read Foundation a long time ago....a great sci fi series, but not terrifically applicable to this work. I haven't read Lem's Solaris, but a short description does seem to point to some similarities with Sidonia.

"Assimov's Solaris"

Really?

Even the damn planet was named after Lem.

This manga is basically Neon Genesis Evangelion meets Assimov's Solaris. There, you have the perfect description for it.

"Assimov's Solaris"

Really?

assuming they had QEC technology, distance doesnèt matter in terms of communication

It might be, that it was an invetion that is unique to Sidonia, and was discovered much later after the launch.

Time for Kunato to redeem himself.

To be precise, they said they lost contact with everyone else. Space is kind of big, you know, so it's hard to keep contact when you're several light years away.

At this point, i wouldn't put them all the seed ships down for the count.

assuming they had QEC technology, distance doesnèt matter in terms of communication

IIRC it's been implied many chapters ago that Sidonia was the LAST surviving ship, and that the immortals knew it for a fact but simply never told everyone. Not that anyone aboard cared. However, if we want to go into what-if territory, there are two extremely obvious shortcuts to surviving the Gauna onslaught that Sidonia has outright rejected:

1) Hybridize with Gauna (the Ochiai solution).

2) Dump the engines or find an alternative that doesn't attract Gauna.

A hypothetical surviving sister ship may have achieved their survival by adopting one of these two solutions, so expect the divergence to start there.

It's been a while, but what I remember is that contact with other seed ships is impossible unless near each other, so they don't know the fate of the others. And that the last ship that they actually had contact with was later destroyed, sending a good bye message to Sidonia.

[edit]http://vatoto.com/read/_/88644/sidonia-no-kishi_v2_ch8_by_illuminati-manga/12[/edit]
I dont really remember if other ships have been mentioned again.

This manga is basically Neon Genesis Evangelion meets Asimov's Solaris. There, you have the perfect description for it.

At the time of the anime's airing, I described it as "Attack on Titan" meets "Battlestar Galactica."

This manga is basically Neon Genesis Evangelion meets Assimov's Solaris. There, you have the perfect description for it.

Yeah, jury's still out on the Eva part, since A) Nagate is nowhere near as useless as Shinji, B) none of the girls are as fucked up as Asuka or Rei were, and C) we're missing meaningless 5 minutes pauses, senseless character turns, and human genocide BECAUSE REASONS.

Otherwise, sure, that's absolutely the perfect description.

IIRC it's been implied many chapters ago that Sidonia was the LAST surviving ship, and that the immortals knew it for a fact but simply never told everyone. Not that anyone aboard cared. However, if we want to go into what-if territory, there are two extremely obvious shortcuts to surviving the Gauna onslaught that Sidonia has outright rejected:

A hypothetical surviving sister ship may have achieved their survival by adopting one of these two solutions, so expect the divergence to start there.

To be precise, they said they lost contact with everyone else. Space is kind of big, you know, so it's hard to keep contact when you're several light years away.

At this point, i wouldn't put them all the seed ships down for the count.

I really hope someday down the road Sidonia will encounter another seed ship. When the seed ships spread apart we basically entered into the territory of divergent evolution and I'm curious to see how humanity on another ship has evolved.

Sidonia has, off the top of my head, immortality, kabi, chimera(s), intersex gender physically changing to match their partner, cloning, the bear lady (whatever she is), an android, the BFG that is the Graviton Beam Emitter, and human photosynthesis.

What wonders have the other ships achieved?

I really hope someday down the road Sidonia will encounter another seed ship. When the seed ships spread apart we basically entered into the territory of divergent evolution and I'm curious to see how humanity on another ship has evolved.

Sidonia has, off the top of my head, immortality, kabi, chimera(s), intersex gender physically changing to match their partner, cloning, the bear lady (whatever she is), an android, the BFG that is the Graviton Beam Emitter, and human photosynthesis.

What wonders have the other ships achieved?

I'm just waiting for an confirmation that he banged the captain or not

Even Kunato wants him.

Even the gaunas want him!

I'm not sure it applies here, but I think this might be foreshadowing for future chapters. Removing the "friendly and kind Gauna face" while hugging Tanikaze and revealing "her true self". I think she's going to cut off all ties with humans and no longer hide what she really is.

I honestly feel that she feels out of place and is only trying to fit in by being have a "non-threatening form" and the only connection that she has with the human race is Tanikaze. Cut that tie and she no longer has a reason for mingling with humans.

What do you guys think?

Spoiler

NAGATE AUTHENTIC SPACE GIGOLO!!!

Even Kunato wants him.

NAGATE AUTHENTIC SPACE GIGOLO!!!

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics