Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.72 - 301votes)

Akatsuki no Yona

Alt Names: alt 새벽의 연화alt يونا فتاة الفجرalt یونا دختر سپیده دمalt Yona - Prinzessin der Morgendämmerungalt Yona công chúa bình minhalt Yona en el amaneceralt Yona of the Dawnalt 暁のヨナalt 拂晓的尤娜alt 晨曦公主alt Йона на заре
Author: Kusanagi Mizuho
Artist: Kusanagi Mizuho
Genres: Action ActionAdventure AdventureComedy ComedyDrama DramaFantasy FantasyHarem HaremRomance RomanceShoujo ShoujoSupernatural SupernaturalTragedy Tragedy
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: As the red-headed princess of Kouka, Yona lived the ideal, though sheltered, life within the walls of Hiryuu (Red Dragon) Castle. Doted on by her pacifist and cowardly father, King Il, and protected by her childhood friend/bodyguard, Son Hak of the Wind Tribe, (who has loved her since they were kids, but keeps his feelings in check). She cherishes the time she spends with the "love-of-her-life" (and older cousin), Soo-won. Though, on the night of her 16th birthday, everything changes when she witnessed someone close to her, murder her father. Now on the run, with Hak by her side, she seeks out a legend turned real. Join The Dark Dragon and the Happy, Hungry Bunch (Hak, Yona, Yoon, Kija, Shin-ah, Ao, Jae-ha, and Zeno) on their action-packed, comedic and love-complicated adventure, as they change Kouka from the outside!
Go to Akatsuki no Yona Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic [Spoilers] Why Su-woon fails? New Window defry
  • 17 Replies
Topic The anime!!!!! New Window JordanPaHa
  • 5 Replies
Topic Su-Won New Window Envi
  • 1 Replies

786 Comments

So now she has 3 of the 4 dragons.     But I liked that she asked Hak to come with her first.  

Her actions in the beginning of the chapter were really not like her,  but I take it she was putting on a fake smile to cover up how shaken up she still is from seeing that guy in the last chapter but none of the others except Hak really know about all their history. 

"Take me, Yona" kyaaaaa xD

Well, I won't quote it because it's getting huger and huger and soon one post will take aa whole comment page :D
ps: had to use spoiler tags (and added the titles also ;Db) cause guess what? It's HUGE~~
And could have been huuuuger 8DD

Yours Shoujo Villain:
Spoiler

So long it's not a conclusion anymore:
Spoiler

Anyway, let's continue this later (or earlier actually-why I always get this when it's already so late? T.T). Though I wonder... we are probably scaring other readers @x@

Hmm, I wonder what kind of villain I'd make.
I think I'm probably ahead of your run of the mill shoujo villains, but to what lvl could I make?
I'm really curious now.
Won't somebody vote/give your opinion?
I promise I won't do anything hehe~

It's a good thing you replied,
Today I was actually thinking that I don't remember much about the beginning of the series except that well duh he killed her father (reeeeally, Luna?) and that part that is when, I believe Hak started to respect the old king.

I completely didn't remember that he prohibited, and explicitly at that, him marrying her.

But really, would that matter?
Ok, this gives us plenty of insight but to him.
If he really wanted, out was madly in love with her would it make any difference?
No

I know this sounds absurdly shoujo manga
but I'm not talking about "love wins over everything"
I'm talking about when someone really, really wants something, be it being able to stay with the loved one, conquering a kingdom or that piece of chocolat they get it. It doesn't matter how, they'll find a way to it.
That's life.
(leaving, of course, outside interferences aside)

So what I'm saying is, if he really loved her (romantically), or at least really cared more about her than politics, evil schemes or whatever it may be; he would have found another way

What brings us, again, to what are his true motives and feelings. And wth is really happening under the table

Yeah, I was also thinking along these lines.
Wasn't his late brother the elder?
That being, wouldn't it have made his son the heir to the kingdom?
Just how does their monarchy works?

As I said, I don't remember much and I think I may be mistaking things
Cause I also thought the reason her dad hated violence was because of her mother's death, and I'm not sure from where this came, if it was hinted or I made it up and my fuzzy memory made me believe one of my theories was true

But yeah,
I think things here were more a mater of policy
The king killed his brother because he wanted no more wars (oh ho) and ironically in another way that may not helped his people as much

And her cousin mindset is more related to that of his father, where there must be some sort of violence so he can ensure his people welfare.

But remember, the same way the cousin got supporters, her father probably had do to kill his own sibling

So, as I said I think it has to do with policies and there are much more going on in the dark
Or at least I hope so
I'd like to have more to it, and since this is an "unusual" "shoujo"..

Which brings me back to "I don't care if it may turn to be for the greater good or what, don't do this to me author! Right now I really want Yona to hit him where the sun never shines or wtvr"

As you said, there were other ways like a well disguised exhile so Yona wouldn't realize even though him being alive would invite unnecessary dangers.
There are other ways, he just had to wasn't to search for them as if all his life and future happiness depended on it.

I think you're just a bit too naive of the politics of this time. Their whole outifts and all seem pretty asianish so I'll make take an example from China.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor_Taizong_of_Tang

This is a famous Chinese emperor. He basically killed all his brothers, his brother's son, his brother's wives/concubines. Usually they'd spared the daughters but they would demote them to simple noble princesses instead of royal princesses as to make sure their offsprings wouldn't be able to aspire to the throne unless his lineage would die out ( highly unlike since every big figure had many children due to having more than 1 wife/concubine ).

In those days, you couldn't fire a bad emperor. If you wanted to replace him there was no other way than perform a coup. There is no legitimate way of doing it. You just have to oust him by force.

Let say he exiled her father instead of killing him. Do you think she'd forgive him for that? Highly unlikely. 

The only way I see it not affecting their relationship is that her father would of been killed by some other dude/assasin. I mean it's pretty weird that her cousin would physically assault the emperor, no one in their right mind would do it like this. He'd ask an assasin, or would make one of his partisan general send out some dudes. But even then, if he sat on the throne after the whole ordeal, any non retarded person would know he was one of the person involved in the removal of the King.

Now I understand the reason why in the manga you see him slicing the dad. It's because it's a shoujo and you can't really employ some big complex political scheme. You have to push that aside for character growth and shoujoish stuff happening. She just had to have all her world crushed.

Even then, the officials/generals that were loyal to her father, would spill her the beans, because secrets aren't really secrets.

And they'd counter coup the cousin and then since she's a woman, she would probably marry one of the sons of the men who would help her seize back the throne. Or more likely, they would use her as the beacon for gathering support and then they'd have her killed. Then an extreme amount of violence would surge between the nobles for royal power ( since after her death they'd be no royal family left).

As for the whole brother thing. I'm unsure really, the cousin is allowed to interact with the daughter and all. If his father was deemed a traitor (which is really the only way someone would be executed in those times ) his son's social status would suffer tremendously but he's still able to socialize with his uncle's daughter. So really, it's all too hard to just randomly guess at this point.

The mother probably died because someone killed her, most likely from some political opponents. He might of realized at that point that violence just ends up with more violence.

I repeat just a few studying of history of asian monarchies of that time you'd understand why the whole "there was other ways" is completely false.

EDIT: I know what you might think, I'm being too rational and realistic. But I'm an history freak so I kind of like it closest to reality. But like you've said, this is only a Shoujo so I have to cut it some slack. Even with those minor details, I still love this work. There's very few shoujo mangas that do the whole adventure theme really well, and this is one of them. 

Bottom line what I mean to say is that you're attitude isn't really considering how things were done at that time. Just the sheer amount of blood that would flow near the Royal palace/ Capital.

It's to the point that a lot of less power-inclined nobles would stay away from the political arena and content themselves with less, just so they wouldn't have to fight for their survival against others. They'd prefer a title or a job occupation that would make them stationed outside of the capital.

I mean, a bit more status or wealth, or keeping your head on your shoulders.

Oh my gosh, it's HUGE
Even I don't want to re-read it,
how can I hope somebody will?

I... really did it this time, right?
*facepalming in denial*
It's a good thing you replied,
Today I was actually thinking that I don't remember much about the beginning of the series except that well duh he killed her father (reeeeally, Luna?) and that part that is when, I believe Hak started to respect the old king.

I completely didn't remember that he prohibited, and explicitly at that, him marrying her.

But really, would that matter?
Ok, this gives us plenty of insight but to him.
If he really wanted, out was madly in love with her would it make any difference?
No

I know this sounds absurdly shoujo manga
but I'm not talking about "love wins over everything"
I'm talking about when someone really, really wants something, be it being able to stay with the loved one, conquering a kingdom or that piece of chocolat they get it. It doesn't matter how, they'll find a way to it.
That's life.
(leaving, of course, outside interferences aside)

So what I'm saying is, if he really loved her (romantically), or at least really cared more about her than politics, evil schemes or whatever it may be; he would have found another way

What brings us, again, to what are his true motives and feelings. And wth is really happening under the table

Her father was very clear on this in the first chapter, he said he would not give her to him because the person being her husband would become King.

Yeah, I was also thinking along these lines.
Wasn't his late brother the elder?
That being, wouldn't it have made his son the heir to the kingdom?
Just how does their monarchy works?

As I said, I don't remember much and I think I may be mistaking things
Cause I also thought the reason her dad hated violence was because of her mother's death, and I'm not sure from where this came, if it was hinted or I made it up and my fuzzy memory made me believe one of my theories was true

But yeah,
I think things here were more a mater of policy
The king killed his brother because he wanted no more wars (oh ho) and ironically in another way that may not helped his people as much

And her cousin mindset is more related to that of his father, where there must be some sort of violence so he can ensure his people welfare.

But remember, the same way the cousin got supporters, her father probably had do to kill his own sibling

So, as I said I think it has to do with policies and there are much more going on in the dark
Or at least I hope so
I'd like to have more to it, and since this is an "unusual" "shoujo"..

Which brings me back to "I don't care if it may turn to be for the greater good or what, don't do this to me author! Right now I really want Yona to hit him where the sun never shines or wtvr"

As you said, there were other ways like a well disguised exhile so Yona wouldn't realize even though him being alive would invite unnecessary dangers.
There are other ways, he just had to wasn't to search for them as if all his life and future happiness depended on it.

Really? going to try an play it off like hes so conflicted and actually a good guy? dumb

because I don't wanna spoil it i'll just say...

NO, Simply NO. NO.

Ohh no you sir
You freaking killed her father you have NO RIGHT to act like a good person and care for her.
I don't care there might be hidden motives or even if it may turn out for the greater good or whatever, you could just have WED her (and kept us from a fine story, but whatever u-u)

So YOU author is not going to do this to me, don't manipulate my feelings so I might like this guy in the future.

And I don't care about breaking the drama or what. You can't kill him Yona? HIT HIM.
HIT HIM WHERE IT HURTS DD:<

HARD!! DD;<

I don't know what this will bring you, and I know it won't be enough but at least it will give me peace of mind

On another note, I'soooo glad the mc is Yona and that the author did a great job with her.
Were it your run of the mill mc/author it would be probable for her to go all kya kya and toki doki for the guy had he killed her father or not -___-

Obviously I still don't think killing people is a fine thing to do but what you say isn't true.

He could of not wed her.

Her father was very clear on this in the first chapter, he said he would not give her to him because the person being her husband would become King.

The normally very giving father was very strict on this matter.

So this led me to believe he didn't trust him. It could of been because he didn't trust his brother's son or something else.

I think that the previous King either killed his brother because he was trying to get the throne or the King was a villain and he killed his brother to become king. Sibling rivalry for kingship was a common thing back in the day.

One thing for sure is that her father had a lot of blood on his hands. Either before his reign or in the early days of it.

Remember when that guy drew a blade and wanted to her the princess, her father got behind him unnoticed ( a skilled fighter ) and stopped the blade with his hand. So he was probably a good fighter back when he was younger, and still had it even before he died.

From the get go, you get the feeling that  he abhorred violence probably because he felt a strong guilt about his past, probably violent actions.

It's to be expected, the political arena of these ancient royalties was ruthless, many were framed and executed or assasinated. Exile was also a common thing as well.

Ohh no you sir
You freaking killed her father you have NO RIGHT to act like a good person and care for her.
I don't care there might be hidden motives or even if it may turn out for the greater good or whatever, you could just have WED her (and kept us from a fine story, but whatever u-u)

So YOU author is not going to do this to me, don't manipulate my feelings so I might like this guy in the future.

And I don't care about breaking the drama or what. You can't kill him Yona? HIT HIM.
HIT HIM WHERE IT HURTS DD:<

HARD!! DD;<

I don't know what this will bring you, and I know it won't be enough but at least it will give me peace of mind

On another note, I'soooo glad the mc is Yona and that the author did a great job with her.
Were it your run of the mill mc/author it would be probable for her to go all kya kya and toki doki for the guy had he killed her father or not -___-

I hope they are able to kill him soon.  

Ah not much happened today. Bummer.

So, just to recap.  We have a Princes leading a rebellion against an evil empire led by a close family member infiltrating via Disguise the lair of an evil and overweight Crime Lord and Slave Trader to rescue some kidnapped people and the big fight is going to take place on said Crime Lord's personal Barges.

I wonder how many other comparisons to Return of the Jedi I'll be able to make before this storyline concludes...

To be honest it reminds me more of Suikoden. Now she just needs to get something like a castle as a base and everythings fine. 

Oh and not to forget a speaking sword and 108 comrades.

OH MY! just who was that? of all times, why now?

This is really interesting.

And just when you think everything is finally over ... SURPRISE!
I hate these kinds of surprises... x_x

so who was the guy on the last page??

Reread chapters 1 and 2.

so who was the guy on the last page??

Aaah I love these sudden shock faces...

Spoiler

Gotta love the Captain! :D

Also, who else went "OH SHIT" at the end of the chapter?

Yeah....that seems to be everyone's reaction right there...

The captain is cool.    So many rivals for Hak. 

Me me :3 I was like "Shit gonna starts again"

Thanks for the update, Titania! Absolutely loving the series. 

She took a level in Badass
About time, I would say

Yona, I'm so happy you realized taking levels in Damsel in Distress would take you nowhere
<3

Yona did awesome here,  she has really grown with the manga. 

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics