Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Music Production

Production Creative

• Please log in to reply
333 replies to this topic

nevernown

nevernown

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 575 posts
  • Location-1x378DE022
Hi all!

Just wondering if anyone here has anything to do with music production (as in: synthesizers and VJ-ing)
you can really post anything related to it, if there's enough people/ then i'm sure we can get some interestning discussions and pro tips...
I myself am an amateur Producer of Dance music... did some soundtracks too tho.
I used FL Studio

Regards,
Nevernown
Professional Titles, granted by forum-members: Hobbit, Wordsmith, Weirdo, Creep, Reachable Height, DJ, Bishie, Beautiful Poet, Professor, Dutchie-Boy, Writer, Pervy-Sage, Cookie, "Teia: Oh gosh", Geeky boy, Traitor, Stalker (more to be expected)

gkq0.png

Creativity
- Thoughts
- SoundCloud

powha

powha

Vocaloid

• Contrib Mods
  • 1,117 posts
  • LocationGensokyo
I tried playing with FL Studio once.. but it looked complicated so I gave up :P

nevernown

nevernown

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 575 posts
  • Location-1x378DE022
you probably gonna kill me for saying this :P
it's not really hard to work with FL, but it is dang hard to make good music -.-

ahwell, it seems like not many people here like this topic =/
Professional Titles, granted by forum-members: Hobbit, Wordsmith, Weirdo, Creep, Reachable Height, DJ, Bishie, Beautiful Poet, Professor, Dutchie-Boy, Writer, Pervy-Sage, Cookie, "Teia: Oh gosh", Geeky boy, Traitor, Stalker (more to be expected)

gkq0.png

Creativity
- Thoughts
- SoundCloud

「黑風影」

「黑風影」

Fried Potato

• Contributor
  • 881 posts
  • Location孤單魂隨風蕩

ahwell, it seems like not many people here like this topic =/

Nahh, thats not true. Just not many people have sort of talent or dedication or money for doing so.
We have many people that appreciates music, just not so much in the making department....(I for one lack of skills)

You might have better luck with people on soundcloud.
Best of luck to you and your work!

nevernown

nevernown

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 575 posts
  • Location-1x378DE022
well, in that case, for all music-lovers,
Here is a little remix i'm working on for a contest.
I will keep you updated on it, it's not much yet, but still... enjoy!

http://ubuntuone.com/2ir5F9k8tWEjS7zHDE1lbv

i didn't upload this one at soundcloud...
too much people to steal my idea, and too much risk they also entered the contest

gkq0.png

Creativity
- Thoughts
- SoundCloud

Kayley

Kayley

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 541 posts
  • LocationNot here.
Well, I have been using Reason 5 for a little while now. I am still an amateur though lol

Is my sig too small now?

nevernown

nevernown

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 575 posts
  • Location-1x378DE022
Ohiya kaede, glad to hear :)
o.O
Reason is. like, one of the most expensive programs there is to do music production :blink:
Tell me more, please

also, I got a little further
http://ubuntuone.com/3nN2nmRoovto1KHg1EXAqV

gkq0.png

Creativity
- Thoughts
- SoundCloud

Kayley

Kayley

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 541 posts
  • LocationNot here.
Pretty much, I use Reason 5 for making all the instruments and Audacity to shorten samples, copy sounds from various sources, apply effects etc.

Is my sig too small now?

wEr4

wEr4

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,068 posts
You guys make very good music. <.<

I haven't even heard of the programs you are talking about. T__T
Posted Image

Rien ne pèse tant qu'un secret...

nevernown

nevernown

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 575 posts
  • Location-1x378DE022
Wanna try? FL Studio got a free demo with some Awesome Demo music :P

Audacity is a free program for working with all sorts of sound samples
While FL studio (and Reason too, I thought, but I'm not sure) Is for hosting "synths" and directing "MIDI"

MIDI is what you get if you connect a keyboard to the PC (really crude explaination, but it gives you the idea)
a "synth" is (again real crude) a digital instrument. it can be hardware too...

http://audacity.sourceforge.net
http://www.image-line.com/documents/flstudio.html
http://www.propellerheads.se/products/reason/

Also, if you want a full-fledged program completely free, there is MadTracker, they used that at our school for an after-school project

http://www.madtracker.org/main.php

and sometimes I like doing some live mixing as well:

http://www.image-line.com/documents/deckadance.html

ahwell :)
If you want, just browse through, I may look like a pro in you eyes, but when you see the Demo's that come with these programs o.O

gkq0.png

Creativity
- Thoughts
- SoundCloud

Kayley

Kayley

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 541 posts
  • LocationNot here.

While FL studio (and Reason too, I thought, but I'm not sure) Is for hosting "synths" and directing "MIDI"

Reason 5 does use midi, but only for the pitch of the synths, the parts of a drumkit etc. ( Although, I guess most programs like reason do that )

Side note : In Reason 5 ( Not 6 ), any sounds you use are either from samples or made using one or a combination of different built-in synthesizers and effects. Reason 6, if I remember correctly, added support for VSTi's ... something that previous versions lacked.

Is my sig too small now?

nevernown

nevernown

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 575 posts
  • Location-1x378DE022
ah, I see!
so Reason 5 doesn't really host synths...

No velocity, Volume and Sliding in Reason?
that must sound kinda messy -.-

FL hosts VSTi, DXi and ReWired

the joke here is that FL also can be plugin by itself xD

gkq0.png

Creativity
- Thoughts
- SoundCloud

Kayley

Kayley

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 541 posts
  • LocationNot here.
I never said it didn't have its own synths o.O

It HAS got its own built in synths, and they are so great, you shouldn't have to use VSTi ._.

It HAS got volume controls ._.

It HAS got something that "might" be what you mean by sliding ._.

Reason uses built-in synths and samples for all the sounds you use.

http://imgur.com/qfq7t

http://imgur.com/nOSkC

If I can be bothered, I'll type some more about reason 5 ._.

Ah, it also supports ReWired.

Is my sig too small now?

nevernown

nevernown

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 575 posts
  • Location-1x378DE022
Do type more then :)

I meant: Midi is used for more than only pitch -.-
it's also for individual volume, for bending the pitch on-th-go and for the start-time and length of the sounds :o

And yeah, I know Reason 5 is good, one of my favorite artists uses it :P

gkq0.png

Creativity
- Thoughts
- SoundCloud

Kayley

Kayley

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 541 posts
  • LocationNot here.
Hmm ... reason uses special "note lanes" for things like pitch bending, pan, sustain, volume, master volume, etc. AND for changing ANY setting on ANY synth/effect.

Eg. Enable/disable delay, or change LFO 2 rate from 3/4 to 3/8 etc.

Ah, just wondering, if you want to, could you listen to something that I'm making right now ? Its obviously far from completion, and I wanted to try something with little distortion.

Is my sig too small now?

nevernown

nevernown

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 575 posts
  • Location-1x378DE022
PLEASE LEMME HEAR!
seriously, that would be nice :)

and yes, I get that part about the note lanes...
my point was, is and will be: that is nothing more but a visual representation of MIDI :o
but it takes somewhat longer to explain why that is... :(

Edited by nevernown, 21 September 2012 - 03:20 PM.

gkq0.png

Creativity
- Thoughts
- SoundCloud

Kayley

Kayley

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 541 posts
  • LocationNot here.
I'll upload what I have so far ( I am going to change a LOT later on though )
I just felt like trying to make something without putting a distortion filter over almost everything ^^;

http://soundcloud.com/kayley-odonnell/experimenting-with-a-different

Is my sig too small now?

nevernown

nevernown

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 575 posts
  • Location-1x378DE022
not bad at all!

I did some comments, please pay them only as much mind as you want to -.-

gkq0.png

Creativity
- Thoughts
- SoundCloud

Kayley

Kayley

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 541 posts
  • LocationNot here.
I think I SHOULD pay them mind ._.

Is my sig too small now?

nevernown

nevernown

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 575 posts
  • Location-1x378DE022
I dunno,
Compared to most artists, i'm still a beginner... so I can be wrong sometimes :P

also,
ProTip:
if you want others to comment on your tracks, then you can choose to be honest with their music too...
I don't get a lot comments, but G.A.L. and Moodwing sometimes do listen and give good advice, you should dheck em out :)
they do taht because I give my opinion to them too :o

Edited by nevernown, 21 September 2012 - 04:30 PM.

gkq0.png

Creativity
- Thoughts
- SoundCloud