Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

we're getting too old for this shit

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

foxyeisenhower

foxyeisenhower

Fried Potato

• Contributor
  • 795 posts
  • LocationKONY 2013 STOP SOPA RIP Spider-man too soon
why isn't anime as good as it was 5 years ago
why isn't manga sold at borders anymore
why is our hobby so dated and out of touch with the new generation
pop music probably did it fuck you lady gaga
Spoiler

Laurens D

Laurens D

Baked Potato

• tC Donator
  • 1,475 posts
  • Locationin the tower!
1)why isn't anime as good as it was 5 years ago
Don't know but there are still a lot of good manga's

2) why isn't manga sold at borders anymore
Because they did not sell much at the borders? probably :P

3) why is our hobby so dated and out of touch with the new generation
Because digital is the best and easiest :P (Not sure if i've understand this question correctly so hopeful i did)

4) pop music probably did it fuck you lady gaga
It's crap, It's probably a test, in other words she's a attention whore to try and get better sales... Probably...

Posted Image

This is not my fault!

You could have bought my cookies.

「黑風影」

「黑風影」

Fried Potato

• Contributor
  • 881 posts
  • Location孤單魂隨風蕩
Good job with the thread title, I say that too often.

1) there are gems out there but for the general part I will rephrase the sentence to
"why isn't anime as good as it was 10-15 years ago"

2)That is what I would like to know as well + games

3)technology for the most part but I gave up trying to keep up

As for music, for the majority genres I just stick with the old stuff.
I've learn to accept that I'm old, too old to care for trends.
Strangely enough , I'm glad that I am old because I couldn't take much more of this new age shit.

Yaomo

Yaomo

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,757 posts
  • Locationwathcing you from some place far away
  • why isn't anime as good as it was 5 years ago
    why isn't it as good as in the 90s? 5 years ago it was already no good
  • why isn't manga sold at borders anymore
    never had borders here. only outland has manga, and not in a city near me
  • why is our hobby so dated and out of touch with the new generation
    our hobby isn't dated. it's just the younger generation that are zombies without any interests
  • pop music probably did it fuck you lady gaga
    i think so too. i'd refuse to fuck any of them, after they zombified the younger parts of the world's population

あっ ちょっと死んじまった

Buttock Follicle

Buttock Follicle

Couch Potato

• Contributor
  • 2,433 posts
  • Locationfuttocking away~
Borders was my favourite shop ;______;

Matthias

Matthias

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • LocationFrozen in ice.
Me and my sister may be a part of the younger generation, but we still read manga...

Now:

why isn't anime as good as it was 5 years ago?
Years ago it was a damn lot easier to be original...

why isn't manga sold at borders anymore?
I am going to assume Borders is a book shop in america, so i'd have no clue.

why is our hobby so dated and out of touch with the new generation?
1. Manga requires basic reading abilities, of which many have none.
2. I can't actually be stuffed writing it all out :D So many reasons...

pop music probably did it fuck you lady gaga...
Yep. Definitely mainstream music's fault... It's dumbed down the general population of the world... I think the 90's where the last great years of music... But I can't say much considering I was only born in the 90's, and didn't grow up in them... DAMN.
Spoiler

^ Random "poem" I made lol

Fragile

Fragile

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 208 posts

Everything's better when you're younger. Even all 6 episodes of Star Wars.
Because Borders sucks. No just kidding. Don't know don't care.
Depends. If you're talking about the Japanese generation it's as strong as ever. If you're talking about the US generation, that's because COMICS ARE FOR BABIES AND Y U NO SPEAKA ENGRISH?!.
And yeah, fuck Justin Bieber. I mean, Lady Gaga.

Edited by DJ Fatalyst, 22 June 2012 - 04:03 AM.

The story that has not yet finished...?

foxyeisenhower

foxyeisenhower

Fried Potato

• Contributor
  • 795 posts
those questions were rhetorical I didn't expect answers but okay

I actually respect lady gaga way more as an artist than pretty much every other american pop icon
she represents the futuristic chrome world and a chrome future would be kicking rad

Borders was my favourite shop ;______;

RIP borders u were 2 legit for this world pour out a coffee for my used bookstores *dribble*
the printed manga industry is still alive kinda its just Tokyopop dying and all was a death knoll for a lot of series that I and I alone liked

ARE YOU BETTER OFF NOW THAN YOU WERE 4 YEARS AGO? VOTE VEGETA FOR PRESIDENT, SAIYAN PRINCE FOR CHANGE

Everything's better when you're younger. Even all 6 episodes of Star Wars.

Nobody liked all six episodes of star wars, not even george lucas

Edited by foxyeisenhower, 22 June 2012 - 06:34 AM.

Spoiler

Buttock Follicle

Buttock Follicle

Couch Potato

• Contributor
  • 2,433 posts
  • Locationfuttocking away~
face it nerds, HE LIEKED DA MONEH

australia is too cheap for bookshops now, before there were over 3 bookshops in one of the 5 biggest shopping centres in nsw, now there's only one D:

Horn

Horn

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationWelded to my computer chair.
lmao

UIqflpq.jpg

MezzoParody

MezzoParody

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 388 posts
1. I liked a lot more anime/manga five years ago than I do now. I was also younger. I had less discriminating tastes. Some of the stuff I liked was complete shit, and I just didn't realize it then.

2. Bookstores in general are failing. There used to be three different bookstores in my city. We still have a Target, a Wal-Mart, two Gamestops, about three McDonald's, and probably at least five Starbucks (I can't keep count anymore), but not a single bookstore to be found. The closest one is about forty minutes away now. Blame it on the Kindle if you must.

3. New generation? I'm not sure if you mean my generation or those Bieber loving kids. I feel sort of out of touch with everyone though, so I can't really answer that.

4. There was pop music five years ago, wasn't there? And ten years ago? And before that? 80's Pop is practically it's own genre, right? If pop music makes the population dumber, then we're only experiencing the result of many years of abuse...

Thunder Wolf

Thunder Wolf

Fried Potato

• Retired Mods
  • 656 posts
  • LocationDiscord
I've seen some really good anime in the past 5 years. On of my favorites was in 2007.... but yeah, I guess that means "Why isn't it as good as it was 5 years ago".

One problem might be that we're simply getting so used to anime, we're not finding the magic anymore? Or it could just be that horrible fad of valuing fanservice over plot. However, I did like Kore Wa, Zombie Desu Ka. It was silly. Same with MM!!. However, too many series try and use fanservice and it just gets old and tiresome.

On a side note, perhaps I just like different forms of fanservice. I'd rather have a girl who wears clothing and is genuinely interesting. And a man who's muscular and looks like he can actually fight, not these scrawny looking bishies. Outlaw Star is a prime example of what I like to see in an anime regarding character design. Gene Starwind and Melfina were both basically fanservice done right (in my opinion).

2: I loved Borders. T_T

3: I asked some people on skype what Karas was. Nobody had even heard of it. Seems to me our current anime fans simply do not care for the older anime. And a lot of current anime has references to older anime and lots of fansubs cater to experienced anime watchers, not the new fans. So it seems like a lot of the younger people don't appreciate it as much. I remember having to learn a bunch of terms to understand some of the subs in anime. And I learned about another culture at the same time I watched through the subs notes at the top.
Seems some people don't enjoy doing that.

4: Agreed.

2z50p6t.png

foxyeisenhower

foxyeisenhower

Fried Potato

• Contributor
  • 795 posts
the fuck is karas
Spoiler

Yaomo

Yaomo

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,757 posts
  • Locationwathcing you from some place far away

the fuck is karas

you've just been redefined as "too young"

I remember having to learn a bunch of terms to understand some of the subs in anime.

i'm glad i'd already watched enough to know all those terms before i watched it
i want to buy it. i really should buy it
and baccano, and irresponsible captain tylor, and....
あっ ちょっと死んじまった

「黑風影」

「黑風影」

Fried Potato

• Contributor
  • 881 posts
  • Location孤單魂隨風蕩

I asked some people on skype what Karas was. Nobody had even heard of it.

O_O!
.....................sigh*
too tired to be outraged by this.

Horn

Horn

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationWelded to my computer chair.
Yeah, I don't think it became all that widespread. Not that surprising that many don't know what it is.

Quit being such hipsters, people.

UIqflpq.jpg

foxyeisenhower

foxyeisenhower

Fried Potato

• Contributor
  • 795 posts

doesn't get the joke

Posted Image
Spoiler

Khrazy_one

Khrazy_one

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 354 posts
  • LocationNecromancer until the very end. Goodbye everyone ^___^/

- Because the new generation of anime is more directed towards guys, with all of it's ecchi fanservice crap.

- Because the people at the borders can't read the price the titles.

- Because we didn't have internet, back then... Well, it wasn't as popular, back then.

- He's a dude...

DerSteppenwolf

DerSteppenwolf

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 26 posts

The anime hasn't changed.  You've changed.  Like it or not, you're getting older and the things that entertained you to no end as a kid just don't do it anymore.  But like the ghost of the long dead student still haunting the halls of his high school, you don't realize what's happened.  You remember those halcyon days through a haze of nostalgia and don't understand why nothing seems as good as what you remember.  Nothing seems to push those same old emotional buttons, so you just assume the quality of the material has dropped, but it's just that same old formulas don't excite you any more because you aren't as easily amused as you used to be.  Your only choice now is either to break out of the comfort zone and go find something that actually does do something for you or be forever condemned to be that creepy, bitter old loser still hanging around the kiddie pool.

Phil777

Phil777

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMontréal

The anime hasn't changed.  You've changed.  Like it or not, you're getting older and the things that entertained you to no end as a kid just don't do it anymore.  But like the ghost of the long dead student still haunting the halls of his high school, you don't realize what's happened.  You remember those halcyon days through a haze of nostalgia and don't understand why nothing seems as good as what you remember.  Nothing seems to push those same old emotional buttons, so you just assume the quality of the material has dropped, but it's just that same old formulas don't excite you any more because you aren't as easily amused as you used to be.  Your only choice now is either to break out of the comfort zone and go find something that actually does do something for you or be forever condemned to be that creepy, bitter old loser still hanging around the kiddie pool.

Usually, you could shorten that to one expression: being jaded.