Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Online MMORPGs

• Please log in to reply
259 replies to this topic

Saintrelmaux

Saintrelmaux

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • LocationSanctum
Awwww it is under maintenance. Haiz
Shall wait for maintanance to end
Soundcloud!!!!! I am new to that music business so pls be abit less critical abt my songs....

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Vincere

Vincere

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 45 posts
  • LocationHaunting you
The game just trolled you.

Gah! School tomorrow. Need sleep. Good Night (Afternoon/Morning. Wherever you are. Take your pick.)

Edited by Vincere, 22 March 2012 - 06:50 AM.

Saintrelmaux

Saintrelmaux

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • LocationSanctum

The game just trolled you.

Yea and the maintenance will go on for another 3 hours and 10 minutes....

Edit : Ok i tried LaTale out and it isnt that great. It would have been better if the controls werent so crappy. Other than the crappy controls it would be good.

Edited by Detrance, 22 March 2012 - 12:35 PM.

Soundcloud!!!!! I am new to that music business so pls be abit less critical abt my songs....

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Vincere

Vincere

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 45 posts
  • LocationHaunting you

Yea and the maintenance will go on for another 3 hours and 10 minutes....

Edit : Ok i tried LaTale out and it isnt that great. It would have been better if the controls werent so crappy. Other than the crappy controls it would be good.

Don't they let you change the controls?

Blaze

Blaze

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA
Anyone remember the horrible days of silk-road online D:?
Posted Image

Lachesis

Lachesis

Potato

• Members
  • 112 posts
After being gone for a month and back I can finally play (Well some of it) Tera Online, let's see how the beta will go. If not Guild Wars 2 is the obvious choice, that game looks amazing.

Hellion Twins

Hellion Twins

Fried Potato

• Donator
  • 731 posts
  • LocationKeeling over
EVERYONE is trying to drag me into GW2. =.=;

tumblr_mespwcUZxx1rxs3wso1_400.gif

Manga Recommendation: 21/04/14

Spoiler

A gift from Maia Obanee

MezzoParody

MezzoParody

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 388 posts

@ MezzoPanda - I've been looking at Rift for awhile. What are the good points for the MMO?

For totally unique features, it hasn't actually got very many. It has a wonderful system where you can easily re-spec your character class, by mixing and matching sub-classes (called "souls") to whatever suits your taste. You can have a rogue that specializes in daggers/traps/attack magic, or you could have your rogue specialize in archery/beast-mastery/buff casting, and you can switch them around pretty much as often as you like. The funnest feature are the rifts though, as the name implies. They're a little hard to describe, but if you've been looking at the game you've probably seen a video on youtube or something. They make finding groups pretty much no problem at all, and every so often there'll be an invasion event where rifts pop up all over the map, and really difficult bosses get summoned. Everyone in the zone forms a huge army and works together to beat them, and it can be quite exciting.

Other than that, it's a lot like the standard model for MMOs lately. It takes a lot of things done well by games like WoW, and does them just as well, in some cases better. The graphics are lovely, the rifts are awesome, and it's got regular special events with interesting stories and rewards. Hell, even the plot is cool. People can rave about WoW's in-depth lore all they like, but it's hard to beat a game where you pretty much witness the end of the world and become a time travelling zombie!

Aaaghhh....thanks a lot, after making me remember all of that it's become so much more tempting to start playing again. I'm not gonna say it's perfect though, it certainly had some flaws. Of course, it's been a while since I played. From what I can tell they've been making a lot of progress, so I'm not really qualified to complain about anything...

Edit: Aah! You called me MezzoPanda! I feel slow because I only just noticed it, but I like that name!! Why didn't I come up with such a cool name?!

After being gone for a month and back I can finally play (Well some of it) Tera Online.

Oooh, do tell us how that goes. I'm not really excited about the idea of subscribing to any MMO right now, but I can't deny that Tera looks really nice and shiny...

Isn't everything more fun with friends? (Who can bum gold from you and innocently inquire, "Oh, you don't really need that item, right? Because that would be perfect for my alt...")

:D

Edited by MezzoParody, 23 March 2012 - 01:39 AM.

Hellion Twins

Hellion Twins

Fried Potato

• Donator
  • 731 posts
  • LocationKeeling over

Isn't everything more fun with friends? (Who can bum gold from you and innocently inquire, "Oh, you don't really need that item, right? Because that would be perfect for my alt...")

:D

Hey! xD I'm the merchant/muse/musican/healer/support/dmg stacker of my group. I'm supposed to be the one bumming off people!

tumblr_mespwcUZxx1rxs3wso1_400.gif

Manga Recommendation: 21/04/14

Spoiler

A gift from Maia Obanee

Lachesis

Lachesis

Potato

• Members
  • 112 posts
@MezzoParody Will do on that part! To be honest the last subscription based game I payed for was Aion but that was not my best move; I only lasted a month in that hacking infested, gold farming, and grindfest. Tera looks different in terms of game play (Which in the most part determines the overall enjoyment aspect besides quests and pvp) That Unreal Engine 3 looks great on Tera! I did however beta test Star Wars The Old Republic and that was a pretty good one! I did not buy it though. BioWare did a great job on the quests, they were enjoyable and the choices you make clearly determine the outcome of a mission, and the alignment of your character.

The first Guild Wars was very good for a free to play mmo, it was well received, and the development of Guild Wars 2 looks very promising.

Edited by Lachesis, 23 March 2012 - 02:09 AM.

Rinkara

Rinkara

Fingerling Potato

• Donator
  • 51 posts
  • Locationthe Hungry Bug

Anyone remember the horrible days of silk-road online D:?

HAHAHA oh my god yes. D:

Ragnarok Online was my first MMO, then WoW, then Final Fantasy XI, then more RO, then more WoW, more FFXI... City of Heroes, Guild Wars, various free games I quit because they sucked, Aion (I even bought the collectors edition, orz).... latest is SWTOR but I don't really have much time to play MMOs anymore. ;A;

Saintrelmaux

Saintrelmaux

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • LocationSanctum

Don't they let you change the controls?

Its the problem abt having to double tap to run and they dont let u customise the keyboard mapping as in depth as maples.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

bushwhacker2k

bushwhacker2k

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 485 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA
I hope no one minds if my posts are more about MMOs as a whole than particular MMOs.

I used to be really interested in MMOs but nowadays I'm more paranoid than anything. I feel like they'll all be more geared towards simplistic repetitive gameplay than depth or innovation and this isn't helped by my fairly large experience playing them agreeing with said paranoia.

Anyone dis/agree? Anything you want to add? Please do.

"This statement is not true."

MezzoParody

MezzoParody

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 388 posts
I'm not especially paranoid about them or anything. If a game looks interesting, I try it. If it turns out to be shallow, repetitive, unoriginal, and all around boring...then I stop playing. There's usually not much harm in trying out a game, so I don't spend a lot of time worrying about it beforehand.

Of course, it takes a bit for a game to look interesting to me. Half the time I glance at some game-play footage and think "That looks just like [insert MMO here], how boring!" and I just skip it. But every now and then something cool looking pops up. I do get some disappointments though. It seems like I'm not the only one who got deceived by Aion's pretty graphics...

Yuuei

Yuuei

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 94 posts
-waits patiently for Blade and Soul-

I find that MMO's are fun if you have friends to level/quest with, cause a game gets pretty bland if you grind by yourself : | Main reason why I quit a lot of them lol.
Currently I'm playing Vindictus for their new 24 man raids :)

CookiRobat

CookiRobat

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • LocationRomania
ooo yes this is the topic were i need to complain :(
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaa! i m so sad because i can t play any more XSteel( goood game)
i m waiting patiently for http://metalrage.gamehi.com/
MeTAL RAGE!
Spoiler

Thanks Group Red Hawk Scans for scanning Will Cheer for you Will support you

The World God Only Knows(we need you)

Posted Imagecool creator Yuuei

The Illuminati

The Illuminati

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 679 posts
  • LocationSint Maarten, Kingdom of the Netherlands
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest a few things, not because I think you'll like/love them but because you need more MMO experience. See, games are like ice cream. Sure, 'Chunky Monkey' sounds like it might not be for you but you won't know that for sure until it slips past your lips, over your tongue and settles all the way into your toes.

- Champions Online
- Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning
- Allods Online
- Guild Wars
- Dungeons & Dragons Online

I'd also suggest taking a look at MMOhuts, they have nothing better to do.

“It's all about Power."
"Grabbing it. Keeping it. Using It."
"Power is our currency, our DNA... Our God.”
"We control the World."
"We provide the blueprint. And we give the Instructions."

bushwhacker2k

bushwhacker2k

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 485 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest a few things, not because I think you'll like/love them but because you need more MMO experience. See, games are like ice cream. Sure, 'Chunky Monkey' sounds like it might not be for you but you won't know that for sure until it slips past your lips, over your tongue and settles all the way into your toes.

- Champions Online
- Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning
- Allods Online
- Guild Wars
- Dungeons & Dragons Online

I'd also suggest taking a look at MMOhuts, they have nothing better to do.

I'm assuming you're talking to me but I might be totally wrong, please let me know if I am.

Okay, here goes.

Champions: Probably one of the better MMOs I've played, it's style is quite unique which makes it far more bearable.
Warhammer: Admittedly haven't played, heard mostly bad things.
Allods: WoW clone, albeit very well-made one.
Guild Wars: I enjoy the gameplay but it gets boring after a while.
DDO: Unique, but for some reason I get bored every time I play it. No idea why.

So, once again you may not have been talking to me but I'm not speaking from an inexperienced viewpoint for lack of MMO knowledge. This is my opinion after having played quite a few.

Also, been all over MMO sites before, I've asked other people for specific types of games too and it doesn't help when people with less knowledge on the subject than you are the only people that reply and the answers generally boil down to: that must not exist because I've never played a game like that. -_- Not to complain, just saying it's hard to find really reliable information sometimes.

Edited by bushwhacker2k, 05 April 2012 - 04:46 AM.

"This statement is not true."

CookiRobat

CookiRobat

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • LocationRomania
Noooooooooooo !!! i cant play Elsword Online ! unlucky me
Spoiler

Thanks Group Red Hawk Scans for scanning Will Cheer for you Will support you

The World God Only Knows(we need you)

Posted Imagecool creator Yuuei

The Illuminati

The Illuminati

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 679 posts
  • LocationSint Maarten, Kingdom of the Netherlands

I used to be really interested in MMOs but nowadays… I feel like they'll all be more geared towards simplistic repetitive gameplay than depth or innovation… Anyone dis/agree? Anything you want to add? Please do.

As an ‘unique individual with my own thoughts and feelings’… Just kidding, seriously though, while I do agree with you on a few points, I don’t think that level of paranoia is warranted. MMO’s aren’t a conspiracy created by ‘Big Business’ to destroy or defeat the average gamer. It’s a simple equation of supply and demand vs. profit by any means necessary. Those private yachts aren’t gonna pay for themselves you know.

Right about now, you might be thinking ‘but that’s not right’. Why not? Isn’t that what we always say to each other, ‘if it aint broke, don’t fix it’? ‘Greed is Good/God’? Profits might stifle creativity but we’re well past the age when you could stand in the middle of a town or village and dance for food. Game publishers need, NEED positive growth or else they won’t invest in a game company.

We can see the same thing happening to film industry. Every year they push out unimaginative garbage, charge an asinine amount of money for a ticket… And still turn a profit. Why? Didn’t we all agree those films weren’t worth watching? Is it just a vocal minority screaming themselves hoarse while the vast majorities are content with what they see?

Let’s pretend that there are real people working behind these big corporations, publishers and game companies for just a second. Let’s also pretend that they genuinely thought what they made was good with room to improve. ‘Dragon Age; Origins’ is a good example; ‘lotta people love it (I didn’t like it), Bioware made a profit and decided to make another one. ‘Lotta people didn’t like it (I played and loved the demo), Bioware still made a profit. So, what do they do? Move forward and make ‘Dragon Age 3’ or not? What do they do with the negative feedback? Vocal minority? Who are we aiming at with our product?

The MMO market is the same thing; one person manages to make massive profits doing ‘it’ their way –year after year – with no real sign of slowing down anytime soon. It’s only natural – path of least resistance – others would seek to emulate that formula. Does it make for repetitive game play, game mechanics and story structure/telling? Sure but only to the older gamers. The formula still works for new players and ‘one’s born every minute’.

Things are only now changing because companies now see that you’re still a gamer ever after age twenty-five. Though, more likely they are just following trend, min-maxing so to speak, in order to get as much profit as they can from the market.

A lot of people are putting their hopes and prays on the back of Guild Wars 2 to be the messiah of the MMO genre. Will it? I don’t think so (because we killed Jesus) because everyone has different opinions on what makes a great game. GW2 is going above and beyond to cater to all those different aspects but becoming the new ‘it MMO’ is a bit unrealistic. They’ll definitely sell a few million copies but active players? Who knows who cares?

At the end of the day we still have a choice and so long as we have that then there will always be hope for a better MMO. (So turn that frown upside down)

I'm assuming you're talking to me but I might be totally wrong, please let me know if I am.

Not aimed at you, I hadn’t even gotten as far as the third page. Read the first two, guessed what would be on the third and decided to leave a comment.

Champions: Probably one of the better MMOs I've played, it's style is quite unique which makes it far more bearable.
Warhammer: Admittedly haven't played, heard mostly bad things.
Allods: WoW clone, albeit very well-made one.
Guild Wars: I enjoy the gameplay but it gets boring after a while.
DDO: Unique, but for some reason I get bored every time I play it. No idea why.

I’m currently playing CO and, honestly, it’s boring as hell. I’ve gotten as far as lvl 20 with the Mind (terrible healer btw) and I can’t imagine going another 20 lvls. I suggested it because I love the character creator; it can run on lower spec’d PCs and just because it wasn’t to my liking, didn’t mean it was a bad MMO.

I love WAR, hate the healer dependency which makes PvP/PvE next to impossible. Still doesn’t stop me from jumping on time to time for some serious PvP. In hindsight, I shouldn’t have suggested it with all the limitations a free account has on it, the worse being restricted from a number of chat channels. Then again, I don’t hop on to hold hands.

Allods (Online)… I just never found a place with any of the classes. The one I liked the most was the Psionicist archetype but even that was a bit lacking.

I actually loved DDO(Dungeons & Dragons Online), mainly because it reminded me heavily of Neverwinter Nights. Had to give it up though because… Well, I guess because of the flashing lights, though I never noticed any. Still, after a half-hour, I was ready to throw up so…

Guild Wars is my all time favorite. I’ve never invested more money into a game franchise before or since. I definitely agree that it gets boring after a few months but… Damn, love me some GW! Fort Aspenwood = All day, Every day. xD

So, once again you may not have been talking to me but I'm not speaking from an inexperienced viewpoint for lack of MMO knowledge. This is my opinion after having played quite a few. Also, been all over MMO sites before, I've asked other people for specific types of games too and it doesn't help when people with less knowledge on the subject than you are the only people that reply and the answers generally boil down to: that must not exist because I've never played a game like that. Not to complain, just saying it's hard to find really reliable information sometimes.

Honestly, I’m not sure what you’re talking about. I actually looked to see if there was a third post but… What is it that you’re looking for in an MMO?

Hey! I’m not trying to drag you into GW2. That would be mixing business with pleasure. =3

“It's all about Power."
"Grabbing it. Keeping it. Using It."
"Power is our currency, our DNA... Our God.”
"We control the World."
"We provide the blueprint. And we give the Instructions."