Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Kubera Complaints/Opinions Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
36 replies to this topic

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts
Well, I didn't find it the least bit funny, I mean if its a joke, where is the punchline? I just don't even see where the humor is suppose to be.

Most scantlators feel the need to even leave in blank pages and other such pointless things in their transation versions, so its highly unusual to see one that would take such great liberties with the original.

Obviously since you guys are doing the work, you can do with it what ever you want, but I would appreciate no tacky advertising (especially since you don't sell, or even get paid for said advertising, I assume) You do specifically request our input, and that is a bit part of mine.

Besides the integrated credits stuff, and the integrated "joke" commercial advertising, anything else been altered or added from the original? This is based on a free online comic right? May I have a link to the original?

Sensei~

Sensei~

Russet Potato

• The Company (inactive)
  • 457 posts
sure thing toots, read away. http://comic.naver.com/webtoon/list.nhn?titleId=131385&weekday=sun

semperspes

semperspes

Russet Potato

• The Company
  • 454 posts
it's less funny, and more "HA! I OCULUS, WILL BE UNCONVENTIONAL AND DO SOMETHING OTHER THAN THE TEDIUM OF REMOVING ICKY STUFF. I WILL CREATE"

so yeah.

If you want the original...google and you shall find but apparently there are a heckload on naver?
maybe someone will be nicer and actually link you but, "show a man how to fish, and he will be set for life" or something, in contrast to just giving him a fish. -.-

obvs oculus has never heard of it....
Posted Image

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts
Is asha male or female? The translated text keeps alternating between referring to it as a him and a her.

@semper
What is"naver", a search engine? Well, I didn't figure I would find anything since its in korean with korean characters, and the name shown here is in english with english characters.

P.S. Remove icky stuff? Since its web-based already, seriously how much cleaning is really required?

semperspes

semperspes

Russet Potato

• The Company
  • 454 posts
i don't clean.
But I assume icky stuff = korean outside bubbles
Posted Image

mfkevinking

mfkevinking

Fried Potato

• The Company (inactive)
  • 582 posts
  • LocationMiddle of The Country
Asha is a girl. We were a bit confused in the earliest chapters, but after chapter 4-5 and on we stay consistent. It was an honest mistake as the Korean wasn't that clear itself, so says our translator.
Posted Image
Proud Ubuntu user since May 2010.

Sensei~

Sensei~

Russet Potato

• The Company (inactive)
  • 457 posts

P.S. Remove icky stuff? Since its web-based already, seriously how much cleaning is really required?

i can tell you from personal experience, that kubera is one of the most demanding jobs for a cleaner, because of it's long dialogues and many chapters (6-8 pages per chapter compared to other series which are only 4 pages per chapter). Some chapters require extensive redrawings(removing korean text and redrawing body parts), but you wouldn't notice it because you are only seeing the final version, if you would refresh back and compare the translated with the raws then you'll realze how demanding it is to bring the best quality possible to the readers.

Sensei~

Sensei~

Russet Potato

• The Company (inactive)
  • 457 posts

it's less funny, and more "HA! I OCULUS, WILL BE UNCONVENTIONAL AND DO SOMETHING OTHER THAN THE TEDIUM OF REMOVING ICKY STUFF. I WILL CREATE"

so yeah.

If you want the original...google and you shall find but apparently there are a heckload on naver?
maybe someone will be nicer and actually link you but, "show a man how to fish, and he will be set for life" or something, in contrast to just giving him a fish. -.-

obvs oculus has never heard of it....

WOMAN get to work.. =_= so help me......  =P  <3 semper

semperspes

semperspes

Russet Potato

• The Company
  • 454 posts

WOMAN get to work.. =_= so help me......  =P  <3 semper

My huge army of fishers will come and beat you up oculus. That is the way of the Fisher.
Posted Image

Zero Breaker

Zero Breaker

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 73 posts
Hmm, I guess what's already been posted cannot be easily changed

But if possible, in the future works, it would be more nice and polite to the original author to try to leave the work as it is.

One example I found disturbing is the one on chapter 5, where Kubera's mother and 2 others walk away and Kubera wakes up.

That was supposed to be a sad scene, but the existence of that yellow bear totally destroys the mood.

I will not go on about this translation not having permission from the author or adding the translation team banners. But I believe it is the minimum level of borderline not to add unnecessary modification to the original art. (and the author Currygom is well known to be extremely fierce about her works being modified.)

Meanwhile, I do not wish to disencourage translation team's hard effort on non-profittable works. Thanks for great works for English readers! (recent works are a lot better than the earllier ones!)

mfkevinking

mfkevinking

Fried Potato

• The Company (inactive)
  • 582 posts
  • LocationMiddle of The Country

Hmm, I guess what's already been posted cannot be easily changed

But if possible, in the future works, it would be more nice and polite to the original author to try to leave the work as it is.

One example I found disturbing is the one on chapter 5, where Kubera's mother and 2 others walk away and Kubera wakes up.

That was supposed to be a sad scene, but the existence of that yellow bear totally destroys the mood.

I will not go on about this translation not having permission from the author or adding the translation team banners. But I believe it is the minimum level of borderline not to add unnecessary modification to the original art. (and the author Currygom is well known to be extremely fierce about her works being modified.)

Meanwhile, I do not wish to disencourage translation team's hard effort on non-profittable works. Thanks for great works for English readers! (recent works are a lot better than the earllier ones!)

This is mainly the result of having a different editor.
Posted Image
Proud Ubuntu user since May 2010.

Zero Breaker

Zero Breaker

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 73 posts
Minor thing....but tricky one to translate there, in the chapter22.

That weird masked woman (her name is Laila Hemawati) speaks to Brilith "Your partner can't use HIS right arm".....

I am pretty sure Laila does know Asha is a girl (she would have seen Asha's document of identity at the least) so it should be 'HER right arm'.
But in this case, Brilith will know Asha's gender while she is supposed to find that later.

I can't think of better way myself. Perhaps anyone who finds it weird will check this thread and see my reply.

(Laila does not say anything to specify Asha's gender in the original one...it's easier in Korean to omit such words.)

FunnyBunnyLogic

FunnyBunnyLogic

Fried Potato

• The Company
  • 536 posts
  • LocationThe state that Looks Like a Hand.

Minor thing....but tricky one to translate there, in the chapter22.

That weird masked woman (her name is Laila Hemawati) speaks to Brilith "Your partner can't use HIS right arm".....

I am pretty sure Laila does know Asha is a girl (she would have seen Asha's document of identity at the least) so it should be 'HER right arm'.
But in this case, Brilith will know Asha's gender while she is supposed to find that later.

I can't think of better way myself. Perhaps anyone who finds it weird will check this thread and see my reply.

(Laila does not say anything to specify Asha's gender in the original one...it's easier in Korean to omit such words.)

If there are any issues about the use of the gender specific, all blame would be put upon my shoulders. I felt that it would be humorous to make use of the confusion about Asha's gender. I will admit that it is not the "heart" of the original, but we [as The Company] have made several choices that may [or may not] be entirely true to the original for several of our titles.

The reason for this, is so that we can bridge the gap between languages and cultures. Obviously, there are times when much is lost in "the translation," and unfortunately there is very little that we can do to prevent it. Because of this sort of obstacle, I tend to use [or abuse, if you prefer] a bit of artistic license to provide a story that is enjoyable to the English audience.

I hope that my choices have not offended, but I will not apologize, as I feel the choices made are worth the [slight] straying from the original.

Edited by funnybunnylogic, 22 May 2011 - 06:12 PM.

Zero Breaker

Zero Breaker

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 73 posts

If there are any issues about the use of the gender specific, all blame would be put upon my shoulders. I felt that it would be humorous to make use of the confusion about Asha's gender. I will admit that it is not the "heart" of the original, but we [as The Company] have made several choices that may [or may not] be entirely true to the original for several of our titles.

The reason for this, is so that we can bridge the gap between languages and cultures. Obviously, there are times when much is lost in "the translation," and unfortunately there is very little that we can do to prevent it. Because of this sort of obstacle, I tend to use [or abuse, if you prefer] a bit of artistic license to provide a story that is enjoyable to the English audience.

I hope that my choices have not offended, but I will not apologize, as I feel the choices made are worth the [slight] straying from the original.

No worries. As I said, that part was rather tricky bit of translation.

Zero Breaker

Zero Breaker

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 73 posts
Oh, I just realized! ON chapter 23, TL team decided to change 'Asura clan' into 'Ahura Clan'. I wondered how the TL team would solve the matter..
Well, although that 'Ahura clan' asuras are quite abundant, there are not many significant characters in the clan so far, so I guess this much is OK.

Yu Han Sung

Yu Han Sung

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,989 posts
  • LocationIn Cake Heaven, stuffing myself with cakes(chocolate, fruit, etc.). Mmm... :D
Hmm, not too sure where to post this.

Quite an interesting story so far. I'm waiting to see how the writer attempts to balance out the pacing with such a epic story: large range of casts, many cities/villages, etc. I also hope it won't get too freaking melodramatic, like Asian dramas tend to be. :P

My quibble so far is that the main character is quite useless most of the time and exists mainly to provide comic relief and serves as a plot device. Her lack of knowledge or ability wouldn't be so troublesome if she did try to learn something, other than hanging around at the Temple all day. Yeah, she does have a fair bit of a God's power but I still wish there was more to her character. I know she'll eventually evolve, though.
http://www.cakewrecks.com/home/2012/3/29/sheep-who-must-not-be-named.html
For pony!!! :D

Miseng is supposedly the Prince of Zahard and thus, a trap. SIU, you've completely outdone yourself this time. :D :D :D

And I'm very sorry, I just rarely accept friend requests these days. I don't really do Facebook friend requests. Maybe next time. :P
------------------
Even though I like TOG, I have no favourite characters. There are only characters I get attached to, for the moment and some traits I adore, just for a while. In the same way, there is no character I hate or dislike. I may get annoyed, angry and so on, for a while.

FunnyBunnyLogic

FunnyBunnyLogic

Fried Potato

• The Company
  • 536 posts
  • LocationThe state that Looks Like a Hand.
The Death of an Enemy...

I'm killing this topic. Today... right now.

I understand that there are things in Kubera that you don't like... and some of them are The Company's fault... Some of them are Currygom's...

And we care about your opinions... some of us... sort of... maybe.

Okay, not really. The work I do on Kubera is solely and completely selfish. I do it because I like the story and I want to have the best possible read at the end of the day.

You want more chapters? Let's see the love people!

Tell us what you like about the story. Tell us about the characters you love [or love to hate]. But for the love of Agni... visit the Latest Chapter Thread...

and with this... the Complaints/Opinions Thread dies... with a whimper... not a bang...