Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Are people getting dumber?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

Kalladin

Kalladin

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 293 posts
I think the way we view intelligence is as follows:

The rate of growth of knowledge.

bushwhacker2k

bushwhacker2k

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 485 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

I think the way we view intelligence is as follows:

The rate of growth of knowledge.

Intelligence is actually a pretty complex subject, because it has many facets.

-Ability to comprehend information
-Ability to retain information
-Ability to draw on knowledge quickly
-Ability to recognize connections
etc.

Tbh I don't really buy IQ tests in general (yes I'm aware this thread was founded on discussing the validity of IQ tests :D), not only to the extent that a bunch of kids brag about their high scores like it proves they're superior to others but in that I don't completely buy that you can measure intelligence in a single value based on a few tests.

"This statement is not true."

p00psc00p

p00psc00p

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Locationmy bed mostly
i think people are defintely getting dumber exspecially so in america and the list of reasons why seems endless to meits sad to think that but the evidence is everywhere i mean we need warnings on everything nowadays and the warnings are things people should know automatically without having to be warned like warning putting a gun to your face and pulling the trigger can result in death
i just made that example up but they are as dumb as that one
what i think is worse is that to me it seems being dumb is celebrated in american culture to

POMF=3

POMF=3

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 748 posts
  • LocationInfancy
Troll?^

Anyways, let people be as they are, would rather talk to a kind simple man than a smart ass know-it all that might just know everything

Quit judging others man

I hope they understand that I really understand that they don't understand

Oh Sky.

Spoiler

bushwhacker2k

bushwhacker2k

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 485 posts

Troll?^

Anyways, let people be as they are, would rather talk to a kind simple man than a smart ass know-it all that might just know everything

Quit judging others man

Meh, society is built on judging people and trying to alleviate yourself from what you view as lesser.

To elaborate: try to be more aware of your judgments and your own situation and appearance, try not to write things off too quickly, try not to accept things too easily.

Lower life

Lower life

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 83 posts
http://coffin-comics.jesterbrand.com/comics/2012-03-09-No%20Mulligans.jpg

Seiris21

Seiris21

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 93 posts
  • LocationWandering the Celestial Plain
Maybe people just don't care anymore, since they believe that eventually someone will write a program that does whatever needs to be done

bushwhacker2k

bushwhacker2k

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 485 posts

Maybe people just don't care anymore, since they believe that eventually someone will write a program that does whatever needs to be done

I've noticed this as well, so many people have basically no faith in humanity or their own ability to change things that they have nearly no hope except to rely on science for the future. I'm likely one of them.

Seiris21

Seiris21

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 93 posts
  • LocationWandering the Celestial Plain
Mooching off of hard workers is the key to survival

Khrazy_one

Khrazy_one

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 354 posts
  • LocationNecromancer until the very end. Goodbye everyone ^___^/

I wrote an essay on this. It was horrible. I almost failed English class.

My main argument was that, people are getting dumber because of the new advances in technology. In a way that, the tasks that humans were once able to do effortlessly, are now very complex. [ie: mental math, reading analog watches, etc.]

Niel

Niel

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • LocationPassion of Pits

Technological advancements is possible because the intelligent are capable of carrying the average stupidity.

Edited by Niel, 17 May 2013 - 04:48 AM.

Phil777

Phil777

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMontrĂ©al

Khrazy, stop necro'ing dead and obviously uninteresting threads. Go revive the boobs thread instead. >.>

Firefly303

Firefly303

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • LocationThe sun

Technological advancements is possible because the intelligent are capable of carrying the average stupidity.

^^^^ Alright. This thread is over.

Although, its also because intelligent people generally mate with other intelligent people.

Edited by Firefly303, 17 May 2013 - 08:50 AM.

Spoiler

Khrazy_one

Khrazy_one

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 354 posts

It's not over. Until I get the last post, Pikapi.

People are getting dumber.

clamzoopa

clamzoopa

Potato

• Members
  • 164 posts

I've noticed this as well, so many people have basically no faith in humanity or their own ability to change things that they have nearly no hope except to rely on science for the future. I'm likely one of them.

Well, if they're relying on science for the future, and that science is created by man (or woman) doesn't that mean they have the utmost faith in humanity?

Niel said it, technological advancement is possible becuase of the intellects;  the few carry the average.  I don't think that's changed since the dawn of history.  It's why communism fails.

I don't believe people are getting "dumber", it's just seems that way since people have become more connected and information about people's shortocmings is more readily available.

Khrazy_one

Khrazy_one

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 354 posts

^Another way of saying people are getting dumber. Except with more loops and contradictions.

Kokai

Kokai

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 602 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, nowhere, somewhere and anywhere.

People aren't actually getting dumber, you just heard about the mentally challenged more because of globalisation.

That and they're usually more prone to broadcast their stupidity louder and more frequent than others.

It's this that gives the illusion that what they're saying is the baseline, when in fact, it's not at all.

Morons have always existed, you just mostly never heard of them...nor they of each other, so they wouldn't found groups to try and give themselves legitimacy.

Natureboy

Natureboy

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,162 posts
  • Locationdeep in the forest

Don't know about you all, but I'm getting dumber.  Sure I know a lot more than when I was younger, yet it's much harder to learn new things or quickly come up with a clever way around new problem.

pizhhh

pizhhh

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,029 posts
  • Locationin jail

My countrymen surely are.

AnimeManga272b

AnimeManga272b

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 298 posts
  • LocationNot far from home...
Well, that's the way it is... I guess.

Edited by AnimeManga272b, 29 October 2016 - 09:21 AM.