Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Are people getting dumber?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

Buttock Follicle

Buttock Follicle

Couch Potato

• Contributor
  • 2,433 posts
  • Locationfuttocking away~
http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2012/02/26/are-people-getting-dumber

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2012/02/26/are-people-getting-dumber/thinking-in-more-sophisticated-ways [most interesting one imo <--]

Just something interesting I found.

And my favourite comment:

GREGSON
Tibet
People appear to be dumber because they have lost most of their curiosity and are more self centered in the U.S. than any country I have been.
I have dropped many of my friends because they have not grown from lack of curiosity.
The majority of the younger generation cannot carry on a conversation, have one word opinions, and have no tolerance for change along with being such poor vocabularies and none of them can spell or do simple math.
The use of Facebook and Twitter has done no good to improve social skills, and I will go so far as to say that Americans now are typically physically unattractive as a result of their stupidity.
The fact that Americans speak only one language, and horrifically at that, is an embarassment when I talk to African children in poverty speaking several languages and anxious to learn more.
I avoid them unless I am stuck with some moron in a super market and have to explain how to bag my items three times.
Mostly, they bore me as much as I must bore them.
March 1, 2012 at 9:16 a.m.

Edited by °~°, 03 March 2012 - 07:01 AM.

annihilator

annihilator

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,035 posts
  • Locationnomad...
deep!... lols... like it too cause it touches some current issues we are facing right now... :)

...m y a l t e r e g o...

Posted Image

Katzen

Katzen

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 937 posts
i agree with that comment. curiosity is the key :)

яαιηвσω яσ¢кѕ ヾ(◍’౪`◍)ノ゙| SlhbZiq.gif

Arman

Arman

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • LocationMoscow/Los-Angeles
My friend and I were taking about that right now.

©®åƒ†¥µåGGø†

©®åƒ†¥µåGGø†

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 217 posts
  • LocationIn your ear.
Spoiler

Enclosed in spoiler for rant.

Anyhow this reminds me of a natgeo article I read a while back about brain size, and how it has shrunk over the years (though recently has shown an increase in size again) and how one of the ideas as to why this shrinkage occurred is that we basically domesticated ourselves... which amused me. Because it did.

Some random questions...

Is intelligence a good thing, and if so, why?
Do you think there is such a thing as too much intelligence?
Only after answering these questions must we ask ourselves this... what the heck is intelligence?

Spoiler

Edited by 0100111101000111, 03 March 2012 - 10:25 AM.

Looks like a duck? Tastes like a duck? Walks like a duck? It's a panda! :batoto_010:
oh darn.

666Shinigami666

666Shinigami666

Potato

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • Locationover your head
About people getting dumber
its mostly spoken about americans
its not possible to put them all together,
since everyone if different

curiousity kills the cat!
well, I really think more people belive that

Some random questions...

Is intelligence a good thing, and if so, why?
Do you think there is such a thing as too much intelligence?
Only after answering these questions must we ask ourselves this... what the heck is intelligence?

Its not always good,
because it can make us aware about bad things that we cant change and ppl will probably be broken while trying..
but on the other side, just because we cant now does not mean that generations after us wont be able to
so it depends

and intelligence can be used to create things

I think intelligence is something which I cant describe...

Edited by 666Shinigami666, 03 March 2012 - 02:24 PM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
There are two rules for success:
1. Never tell everything you know

CookiRobat

CookiRobat

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • LocationRomania
intelligence= wisdom+

experience=you can make difference from right and rong = success :D

you can t be dumber just
you lack experience
Spoiler

Thanks Group Red Hawk Scans for scanning Will Cheer for you Will support you

The World God Only Knows(we need you)

Posted Imagecool creator Yuuei

Rol

Rol

Oui Purée

• Donator
  • 3,270 posts
Well from what i can see in high school, there is far more dumb people than intelligent ones.

wtjpw658v4xz.gif

Laurens D

Laurens D

Baked Potato

• tC Donator
  • 1,475 posts
  • Locationin the tower!
No they aren't they are getting stupider :P

Yah, highschool has a lot stupid people in it, Can't exactly say i'm smart though. I think overage? Also people who think they are smart does not mean they are really smart. They are probably one of the dumbest XD

Posted Image

This is not my fault!

You could have bought my cookies.

Buttock Follicle

Buttock Follicle

Couch Potato

• Contributor
  • 2,433 posts

Well from what i can see in high school, there is far more dumb people than intelligent ones.

It depends what you mean by dumb... But i have a lot of friends who don't know proper grammar >.<

Dai Satō

Dai Satō

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 253 posts
  • LocationIn yo mind

It depends what you mean by dumb... But i have a lot of friends who don't know proper grammar >.<

depends what you mean on intelligent because you know their are people who can only retain basic knowledge just to get by high school and its not like they are dumb its just the best of their ability can give them people decide to be dumb by not trying and intelligent people give it their all and another 100% to get their place in the end its all about effort

large.jpg

Buttock Follicle

Buttock Follicle

Couch Potato

• Contributor
  • 2,433 posts

depends what you mean on intelligent because you know their are people who can only retain basic knowledge just to get by high school and its not like they are dumb its just the best of their ability can give them people decide to be dumb by not trying and intelligent people give it their all and another 100% to get their place in the end its all about effort

they're average, i wouldn't say that about someone who i knew couldn't do it no matter what

What ppl lack is the effort to do things, and facebook doesnt help.

Rol

Rol

Oui Purée

• Donator
  • 3,270 posts
I don't think that being good at school and have good grades mean being intelligent. I know a lot of people whom I consider intelligent that don't have such good grades and other people that have good grades that I find stupid, but maybe it's too subjective.

wtjpw658v4xz.gif

POMF=3

POMF=3

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 748 posts
  • LocationInfancy
It's easy for that generation to talk, they had the whole moon landing thing that inspired the world to become what it is today
We no longer have any drive to be like the people our parents dreamt of

Also, it's pretty pretentious to call somebody stupid just because you read a few more books than them..

The guy that wrote that sounds like a asshole, it's true that Americans live in a bubble, but I don't appreciate some pompous prick shining his uneeded opinion

That whole argument about us only speaking 1 language is arbitrary
Many countries have 2 or 3 primary languages that you end up learning.
This is completely unecessary, languages in the end of the day just divide people, if the world spoke 1 language, things would be a whole lot different, even in the bible 'god' made people working on a tower to heaven all speak different languages so they were unable to work together, same principle exists today

I hope they understand that I really understand that they don't understand

Oh Sky.

Spoiler

ValorantX

ValorantX

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,601 posts
This has to go into a whole discussion of how we defnie intelligence and we can only properly lay out this topic with a series of accurate statistics and studies....
I don't want to ruin people's fun here but I can't say this is much of a serious discussion........at all.

But I'd like to point out that this topic is riddled with stereotypes (of both sides) so maybe we can start with that
such as that technology has decreased people's need to develop proper mental skills

I've seen some RSA videos that go into this topic and they were fascinating. You can look up their channel on youtube.

"Once you label me you negate me." - Soren Kierkegaard

Arman

Arman

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • LocationMoscow/Los-Angeles
Every person has his own priority. Being up to date with fashion, new videogames, comics, exercising, socializing and etc. That's pretty much what shapes us to be. I think.

I think that many have an affinity towards intelligence, however, not all people choose to pursue that path.

Sieg

Sieg

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 540 posts
  • Location.

This has to go into a whole discussion of how we defnie intelligence and we can only properly lay out this topic with a series of accurate statistics and studies....
I don't want to ruin people's fun here but I can't say this is much of a serious discussion........at all.

But I'd like to point out that this topic is riddled with stereotypes (of both sides) so maybe we can start with that
such as that technology has decreased people's need to develop proper mental skills

I've seen some RSA videos that go into this topic and they were fascinating. You can look up their channel on youtube.

This must be one of the most retarded posts I've seen this month. Are you serious? You can't be.

Angelo.

Angelo.

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 3,488 posts
  • Locationsleeping on a cloud
:batoto_020:

Kai de Reis

Kai de Reis

Potato

• Members
  • 119 posts
  • LocationCausality
If you name something you're claiming it (discourse as I have been told,I think?Sorry teach!). There is no ignorance or intelligence until we say something/someone is ignorant or intelligent. As Shakespeare said in Hamlet: "Why then 'tis none to you; for there is nothing either good or
bad, but thinking makes it so." Everything is in the mind....

Posted Image

Avatar/Signature by Eternal Remnant!

"Why then 'tis none to you; for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." - William Shakespeare

seyrine

seyrine

Unemployed Kitty In A Penguin Suit

• Administrators
  • 1,830 posts
  • LocationLurking nearby...
I don't think we're getting dumber with every successive generation. It's much more likely that out attention spans are getting shorter, thereby making it easier to lose focus. It's like in the past where you have people just a few subjects but know them very well; now we have people who knows a lot of subjects but is only "knee-deep" when it comes to familiarity (Horizontal vs Vertical Learning).

Catch my story; the Neverender Series

Batoto's Rules Repository | Rules, Guidelines and FAQs

Rules and Regulations | How to get help | Frequently Asked Questions

If all else fails, PM me. And use the REPORT button if you see any content that may violate site policy.

Catch me on irc.idlechat.net (#seyrine) and D.F.T.B.A.!