Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Does Korean Manga feels off to anyone?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Dhoozy

Dhoozy

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 42 posts
I have tried to read korean mangas and even stuck with one called unbalancexunbalance but it seems the story telling ability of koreans seems not as smooth as their japanese counterpart. I want to know if it the style for koreans manga to be like that or are they new that they have yet to get the basics down? What's everyone opinion on it?

Grumpy

Grumpy

RawR

• Administrators
  • 4,078 posts
  • LocationHere of course!
I don't think it's fair to read one author's product (which is also not the original, might I add, but a fan modified version) and come to a conclusion that would apply to all comics of a country. Every author has their own flavor and skills. This would apply especially so for the author of UxU, Im Dalyoung, who operates in Japan more than he does in Korea. Some of his comics are even debuted in Japan before Korea.

If you are seeking for much more unique arts, I suggest try taking a peek at some webtoons. These, unlike traditional publishing, the publisher has little dictation on how things should go. So, the authors display a much greater flexibility of their creativity. The result of course, could be better or worse depending on the comic and reader. But certainly, many new flavors means many satisfied niches of reader bases.

Loki

Loki

Fried Potato

• Contrib Mods
  • 932 posts
  • Locationgo figure
i know its a bit irrelevant , but it needs to be said anyway

korean manhwa , not manga ; also its read from left or right as opposed to how you read a manga

nope , im dal isnt getting the basics down at all , uxu is amazing peace of work , the best manhwa if you exclude the action based cliches that seemed to have obsessed everyone
Spoiler

Buttock Follicle

Buttock Follicle

Couch Potato

• Contributor
  • 2,433 posts
  • Locationfuttocking away~
There's something for everyone ;D

+1 to what Grumpy said.

Japanese manga sort of has its 'traditions' (seemed the best word) which applies to all manga

korean manhwa ofc, doesn't have these so it's different

Imagine Breaker

Imagine Breaker

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 28 posts
I agree, Im, the author's more like a Japanese style author i'd say(that's kinda y I like his stuff tho), most likely cause he publishes a lot of his works in Japan.
Yeah, I'd say webtoons are more or less the thing to take a look at(Im actually has a comic that's being updated on the webtoons site in Korea btw), have around 7~8 fav webtoons myself, most of which are being translated and uploaded here.

-One that cleanses God and exorcises the Devil-

Posted Image

"This isn't a shoujo manga, you know"

-Kamijou Touma-

Spoiler

Elizabeth

Elizabeth

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • LocationFairy Garden
I don't know but so far, there are mahnwas I enjoyed reading more than manga. I don't think it really depends on the country but the author itself. There's even Japanese mangas which I didn't enjoy myself.
Spoiler

M15T3RZ3R0

M15T3RZ3R0

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • LocationIDAHO
So far I've enjoyed most of the manhwas' I've read. :D
In fact, I've even hoped that someday they'd be turned to anime, but unfortunately that's just a pipe dream. :(

tumblr_mkrvak7Zcv1rwv2mgo1_500.gif

Spoiler

Alles

Alles

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Asia
Well, at first it really feels off because the drawings was different and the way you read it. But so far, I liked all the manhwas' I've read. Han Ru Yang works is great~ :)

Posted Image

The Empress

Fujoshi.Weird.Eccentric.Moody.Sadist.Masochist.

ValorantX

ValorantX

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,601 posts
Manga has a long and complex history of how it developed and reached large international appeal, but manhwa is not exactly new either. Anyways, we're supposed to see different series as individual pieces of art rather than attribute it to a style of comics from a country alone.... there's nothing strange to say that some Korean series are very good and better than different manga.

"Once you label me you negate me." - Soren Kierkegaard

DreyGonzalez

DreyGonzalez

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 96 posts
  • LocationPhilippines, Cebu
It does feel off somehow, but most korean manga i read have similar art style and I'm pretty sure are from the same author/artist, It only really feels off if your not used to the way manhwa is read.

"Truth is Treason in the Empire of Lies."

αɖα- ɕɧαɲ

αɖα- ɕɧαɲ

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  • Locationsometimes here, most of the time there.
It doesn't feel off for me. I actually enjoyed it but as much as possible I don't want to compare things since I believe manga and manhwa's has their each own appeal.

666Shinigami666

666Shinigami666

Potato

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • Locationover your head
I really like the korean story-telling style
even more than the japanese

well, the taste is different
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
There are two rules for success:
1. Never tell everything you know

Hellion Twins

Hellion Twins

Fried Potato

• Donator
  • 731 posts
  • LocationKeeling over
The only ones we find off are the extremely mainstream drama types
where the story is very cliche and similar to each other
regarding boy girl relationships and their dynamics

tumblr_mespwcUZxx1rxs3wso1_400.gif

Manga Recommendation: 21/04/14

Spoiler

A gift from Maia Obanee

Anju

Anju

Potato

• Members
  • 154 posts
  • LocationNot In Canada
I agree, with korean shoujo, it just so ... well the male leads are beyond violent trying to kill our protagonist! or at least threatening her.
I feel like the drawing themselves feel unnatural, they are too blocky.

To say i am only picking on one author is wrong, i feel this way toward all korea mangaka's!

Posted Image

Sakimichi

Sakimichi

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationNetrherlands
I found some korean manwhas interesting, I think not all manwhas are like what you said.
It really just depends on the author. :>

RockmanZero Liencourt

RockmanZero Liencourt

Potato

• Members
  • 181 posts
  • LocationMy evil lair inside a vulcano on a remote island planning world domination
Manwhas, you just have to get used to it. At first it may seem weird to read but after a while it settles and becomes actually pretty fun to read.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Drawings I made myself

Probably making more signatures in my free time

Got no inspiration for drawings

Aote

Aote

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 713 posts
  • LocationCloud 8
Try "The Breaker"

About that...

Soran Lioncore

Soran Lioncore

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • LocationAt the Wall
I LIKE KOREAN MANHWAS.

COZ ITS LIKE WATCHIN KOREAN DRAMAS

In case you feel offended by me, please forgive me. I just have a bad sense of humor. Heh...

MezzoParody

MezzoParody

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 388 posts
I have far, far more experience with manga than I do with manwha, but I've read a few manwha and I haven't particularly liked them. However, I've also read quite a few manga that I haven't really liked. I don't think it's the entire region that's at fault, and even if it were I wouldn't be in the place to make that claim.

Though I have been reading a lot of Korean webtoons lately, many of which I actually think have superior art to a "typical" manga, and storytelling that's proven to be at least on the same level with that of other countries. Though I think it's quite strange to compare the storytelling ability of different countries. I'd assume they're all more or less equal, what with all of them being comprised of human beings of various skills and creativity and whatnot.

I agree, with korean shoujo, it just so ... well the male leads are beyond violent trying to kill our protagonist! or at least threatening her.
I feel like the drawing themselves feel unnatural, they are too blocky.

To say i am only picking on one author is wrong, i feel this way toward all korea mangaka's!

I feel this way about many generic shoujo romances made in Japan as well, so maybe it's not a Korean specific thing?

Edited by MezzoParody, 14 April 2012 - 08:12 PM.

damienthedevil

damienthedevil

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationBorder of Gensokyo
At first, it was a little awkward for me too. First of all, the art style was totally different. Then, the reading is left to right. Lastly, the story is totally going in a different direction from what I thought it would.

Of course, it took a little of getting used to. After a while, I'm fine with it.