Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

I am looking for a certain type of Manga.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

defry

defry

Potato

• Members
  • 153 posts
As title says, I am looking for a certain type of manga. I read all sorts of genres, except yaoi or shounen ai[makes me tremble to disgust... even though plot might be good.] I wouldn't mind even some anime recommendation.
My ideal type of manga/manhwa/webtoon or etc... would be a good plot and some good stable characters. I'll start with what sort of manga I'd like to avoid main characters with personalities as emotionally weak, tacky and that acts like a victim but I do exception for shy, timid and innocent, pure characters. I detest arrogant, total me, me characters, also.. characters who hurt others just to make themselves be the victim. But I do like cold, blunt, cool and confident characters too. I do like weak characters becoming strong,be it mentally or physically.

There's allot of things to say, so I'll just name some stuff I can remember that I liked.
Ideal anime would be Code Geass, the Lelouch series. Death Note was also nice, I love Bakemonogatari, Nisemonogatari, Katanagatari, Samurai Champloo, Beast tamer Erin, Guardian of the Sacred Spirit, Kamichu. I absolutely love Shiki, I'd love more... especially the main teenage guy, love his personality. I think what all these guys have in common is the plot is stable, the characters are also stable. I mean, there are some stuff that I liked but came to hate so much that I'd be able to go in rage and makes me want to strangle someone... why? Well, you love, you like and are drawn into the story and characters... then a plot twist which ruins everything that was build up to that point. So mangas that I regret ever touching are the sacred blacksmith[girl was supposed to be strong, indepedent and a iron will, all of the sudden she gets rejected, then gets nearly raped... while she gets nearly raped, she was hoping for the guy to save her? It became worse when the guy after a while suddenly becomes enraged about what happened, I actually like the characters but they just became stupid.] Also legend of mayan is another deep regret that makes me angry enough to strangle someone. Then again, also the new recent regret is Zen Martial Academy, arrogant guy came with too much ego and ruined everything like maian... well, also Koimoku suck[that author starts well but just ruins meanwhile.]
Mangas that I like Akumetsu, Blue Heaven, Berserk, Mirai Nikki, Yotsubata, Parasyte, Monster, Homunuculs, Holy Land, Iris Zery, Freesia, Gakuen Babysitter [something like that], Love so Life, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Beelzebub, Tower of God, Noblesse, Sora no Otoshimono, Kiba no Tabishounin, Vagabond, Real, Slam Dunk, Blade of the Immortal, Ga-Rei, Hellsing, Lunar Legend Tsukuhim, Book Girl and the Suicidal Mime, Hayate no... Holyland.. kurogane, trinity seven and etc
I don't like rape stuff, I mean... I was watching wolf guy, that was too much for me, it makes me tremble in disgust. I usually skip that or just won't ever read it again.

And many more, can't remember all at the moment. So please recommend me something along those lines, by the way, I do like animes like Dragon Ball[goku is always hilarious], Tenchi, Inuyasha and even One Piece, Bleach, Naruto to kill time...
Well, if you be kind enough to recommend, I kinda hate drama but I do make exception for good ones, i.e Bittersweet romance or something like that. Shoujo rarely but if it's not too tacky, idiotic, I might be willing to read to kill time.
Thank you in advance.

Edited by defry, 02 March 2012 - 09:09 PM.

Buttock Follicle

Buttock Follicle

Couch Potato

• Contributor
  • 2,433 posts
  • Locationfuttocking away~
You really do seem to read anything, so here are some shounen/seinen slice of life:3

Arakawa Under The Bridge
Usagi Drop (Bunny drop)
Kyou, Curry!
Kimi to Boku.
Yoningurashi
Nichijou

and some other random ones: Addicted to Curry, Kamisama Dolls, St&rs, Heart no Kuni no Alice and Pandora Hearts

pinoyako

pinoyako

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts
Code Breaker
Flame of Recca
Cage of Eden
Dengeki Daisy
and maybe Sket Dance

soranokira

soranokira

Fried Potato

• Contributor
  • 687 posts
it's late so for the time being, the 2 series in my sig that you didn't mention reading before (Kekkaishi and Record of Fallen Vampire), Sword Art Online and Accel World (Kawahara Reki <333)
http://vatoto.com/comic/_/comics/sword-art-online-r1360
http://vatoto.com/comic/_/comics/accel-world-r411

and MAR: http://vatoto.com/comic/_/mar-r3867
Posted Image
Favorite Manga: Record of Fallen Vampire, Hayate the Combat Butler, Kekkaishi
Main reason: Akabara Strauss and plot/story flow, Tennousu Athena arc/Katsura Hinagiku, Kidoin Nura and story flow

defry

defry

Potato

• Members
  • 153 posts
Arakawa read and watched the anime, laughed allot, Sket I am reading everytime it's coming it out [Boss-kun is hilarious], Kekkaishi is kinda a legend for me, I read it all and I waited to be complete, it was a good manga and loved how he become powerfull in powers and emotionally. Usagi Drop was great too, all the sugestions you said I read and they were great, you got pretty good taste.
Heart no kuni didn't read yet, but it piqued my interest, so I'll give it a try.

Thanks a million for the suggestion, I appreciate it.

TheCrowSword

TheCrowSword

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationDenmark
some of these has been mentioned, but I'm too lazy to sort them out xD

Spoiler

Posted Image
Spoiler

defry

defry

Potato

• Members
  • 153 posts
I read all of those except one or two, thank you for the help. :)

hoihei

hoihei

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • Locationwhere the book and cake meet
7 seeds is awesome, you must try to read it. :)

kdom

kdom

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 376 posts
hoihei, I see that you became addicted to 7 seeds fast too :-) I completely understand, I was the same.

Have you read Beck, if no I think you will love it.
I wonder if you would like something like Onani Master Kurosawa (don't be afraid by the topic, it's really a great story)
And I don't see any Urasawa in your list, they don't really fit your criteria but they still are a must read.
Otherwise the classic Shonen that you have probably already read : Hikaru no Go, GTO, FMA, Zatch Bell

Edited by kdom, 15 March 2012 - 09:56 AM.

soranokira

soranokira

Fried Potato

• Contributor
  • 687 posts
Just gonna support kdom on that Onani Master Kurosawa's recommendation, it really was interesting to read. It isn't really a disgusting sort of manga (IMO), if you think it is from the title.
Posted Image
Favorite Manga: Record of Fallen Vampire, Hayate the Combat Butler, Kekkaishi
Main reason: Akabara Strauss and plot/story flow, Tennousu Athena arc/Katsura Hinagiku, Kidoin Nura and story flow

defry

defry

Potato

• Members
  • 153 posts

hoihei, I see that you became addicted to 7 seeds fast too :-) I completely understand, I was the same.

Have you read Beck, if no I think you will love it.
I wonder if you would like something like Onani Master Kurosawa (don't be afraid by the topic, it's really a great story)
And I don't see any Urasawa in your list, they don't really fit your criteria but they still are a must read.
Otherwise the classic Shonen that you have probably already read : Hikaru no Go, GTO, FMA, Zatch Bell

7 Seeds I am currently reading, it was really good but at times I got annoyed at the other summer team. The shy girl is my favourite from the manga.
Beck was amazing, one of my favourite... I loved the character growth, I like Beck manga more than the anime probably because it was longer, that means I'd like much more of Beck. Well, the songs from Beck anime were really great... I practice a bit of the guitar and it was really great for me as a guitar fan. Ohh, the only thing I can say is a bit more of romance between the guy and the girl, they were adorable in their own way, singing together and their relationship in general. I loved how everything worked out.
Onani Master was really good but it felt like it had some stuff missing, probably because I heard there's more volumes in a light novel or something... so I kinda wanted more of it.
Hikaru no Go was amazing too, it made me want to try that game too, Zatch Bell was amazing too, so was FMA. GTO I read and currently reading the version with the orphanage house or something, I hope Onizuka ends up with the teenage genius, I love her.

Ohh, Urasawa I really liked 20th centuries boys and Monster but the Judo girl... I read most of it but it kinda irritates me, I mean the rich girl and the young judo teacher guy who's a total fake, them two irritate me and it kinda makes me want to stay away from the manga. I might want to try Pluto or Billy Bat.

I recently found out about Batoto, to be honest I don't have all mangas on follow... so I am looking around and if I find them, I put them on follow. Also Samidare manga was great, I like the mangas that author does... some of then seem to be dropped, I want to read the ending of them.

Well thanks for the help guys, I might try Pluto or Billy Bat... can you tell me if it's good or what you think of them?

Buttock Follicle

Buttock Follicle

Couch Potato

• Contributor
  • 2,433 posts
  • Locationfuttocking away~
billy bat is awesome. no further explanation necessary <3

kdom

kdom

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 376 posts

7 Seeds I am currently reading, it was really good but at times I got annoyed at the other summer team. The shy girl is my favourite from the manga.
Beck was amazing, one of my favourite... I loved the character growth, I like Beck manga more than the anime probably because it was longer, that means I'd like much more of Beck. Well, the songs from Beck anime were really great... I practice a bit of the guitar and it was really great for me as a guitar fan. Ohh, the only thing I can say is a bit more of romance between the guy and the girl, they were adorable in their own way, singing together and their relationship in general. I loved how everything worked out.

I think they are made for being annoying :-) but they seem to evolve in the current chapter. It is probably one of the serie I enjoy the most at the moment.
As for Beck I agree with you the anime is not really worth seing once you have read the manga. The animation is poor, the english part are terrible, and despite all their effort with the music, they can't fully express the emotion of the concert. And yes I would have loved a bit more than a platonic relationship too. That makes me think, do you read Sekitou Elergy, we have a very lovely love story here.

Well thanks for the help guys, I might try Pluto or Billy Bat... can you tell me if it's good or what you think of them?

Well I think we are pretty much at the same level here so it will be difficult to help you.
Although it is famous, I just started it recently Letter Bee is really good (despite the main character being a cry baby)
Otherwise there are a few mangaka on your list which have started other series that you may be interested intoYou can also look at the others work of the scanlation groups you like, I have made nice discoveries this way.

defry

defry

Potato

• Members
  • 153 posts
Historie is really underrated, it's my type of manga as I'm into really witty and intelectual main guys. I got addicted to those type of strategic chars since I got acquinted to Lelouch, there's allot of mangas I read with smart, calculated main guys. Though it's sad that it takes so long wait for one chapter, I wish for more so I am waiting.
Silver Spoon I am reading, I like Hachiken but recently it annoys me a bit.... though I still like it and read it.
Saint Oniisan, didn't read yet... don't know if I should read or not, in real life I have plenty of those type of discussion so I kinda want to avoid religion in mangas. Though I recently just read Needless, I loved it, at first it good and irritated that the main guy was Cruz but him cross-dressing and hidden powers and other mysteries just made the manga even much better. It was good at the start too but with Cruz like that... it can't compare to where it reached, so I really want to see the ending.

Letter Bee is really good too but recently a part saddened me, I won't say it as you probably didn't reach to it. Well enjoy, if you find any more interesting mangas... I am more than ready to give them a taste, thanks a million guys.

Also, Billy Bat is a strong sense of deja vu, I mean the way the manga is portrayed and much more is similar to 21st Century Boys, it makes sense it's the same author. I can't complain because it is really amazing. Billy Bat is truly amazing, it kept me interested really well and now I hope for some progress in powers of the main guy and maybe even some romance progress. Though, it is one of the best mangas.
Another good manga similar to Billy Bat would be Homunculus... it was one of the best, the main guy is amazing and the series is pure surrealism and a mystery of psychology. I read a few of those of mangas, I do like mangas with sociopaths, psychopaths... mangas like Freesia, Blue Heaven and much more... It's a true challange and pleasure to put yourself in the skin of those characters.

Edit; Sekitou Elergy I read quite a bit... I also read a bit of boys on the run, well, there were some new mangas I found and they are new with only one chapter but they have allot of potential. This is good too Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, the main guy is really interesting.

Edited by defry, 27 March 2012 - 05:44 PM.

kdom

kdom

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 376 posts
Saint onisan is by the same author as arakawa under the bridge so religion is just a pretext and not really serious. I personally love her humor and her characters just a bit crazy but attaching