Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Why the Brazil Scanlator Group have moreeeee episodes than the English scanlator??!

updates episode freezing Brazil Japan

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Redwraith

Redwraith

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts
lol.. this is my first post and english is not my 1st language so sorry for my english...
i dont know are you guys notice it or not, i just want to ask, why the brazilian-based have more episodes than the english-based scanlator(and its so far from the current episode in english)??
i dont understand brazil language.. so please can you guys upload Freezing in English??thx b4

powha

powha

Vocaloid

• Contrib Mods
  • 1,117 posts
  • LocationGensokyo
It just means that they are faster than english scanlators.
And no. -.-

Ajmc93

Ajmc93

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
A lot of ppl don't understand brazilian here, what's your point? It's not as simple as uploading, they have yet to translate it to English. If you still want to request faster scanlations you might as well start taking Japanese lessons and help translating the chapters yourself.

Redwraith

Redwraith

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts
@powha: well thats mean they are soooooo fast. i mean see the differences between it.lol @Ajmc93: yes i know what your mean.. I just want to know if other reader realize it or not.. and MAYBE they can help to make it faster(even i dont know for sure how)

Xaal

Xaal

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 11 posts
I'm sure other people have noticed. I've got to say though that it seems that other factors about the Brazilian scanlators weren't considered. For example, maybe those peeps are really "gung-ho" about Freezing so their Freezing faction took they extra effort to get those chapters done. Heck, those same members must also have a lot of free time on their hands.

The following is directed to all who wonder the same thing as Redwraith, but haven't realized it yet:

As a fellow leecher, I suggest following Ajmc93's advice in helping translate the chapters, learn Portuguese, or just wait patiently (the leecher's virtue). After all, the scanlators aren't top-shot companies whose well-being depends on the release of volumes of manga - they're people with their own lives.

I can truthfully say I don't know how the Brazilian scanlator-members or FTH members spend their free time, but isn't it enough that scanlators in general contribute (regularly, semi-regularly, w/e) to the large leecher base?

Trepur

Trepur

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • LocationCanada
For those who want to know the main reason Brazil Mangá Scanlator is doing a much better job at uploading
BMS (the guys who translate it into portugese) are translating just 9 different mangas. As they have a rather limited selection and a commited workforce, they are translating mangas within a month of the Japanese release date.
However FTH (the guys translating into English) are translating 24 differnt mangas, which should generally mean they will probably be around 3 times as slow (if all other things are equal). As a result they seem to be a year behind the Japanese release date.
If you have a problem with this, then bring more attention to freezing. I am sure that the translators probably prioritze on the more popular manga's then the less popular ones.

Edited by Trepur, 19 March 2012 - 11:02 PM.

Amplify

Amplify

Potato

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • LocationEngland

For those who want to know the main reason Brazil Mangá Scanlator is doing a much better job at uploading
BMS (the guys who translate it into portugese) are translating just 9 different mangas. As they have a rather limited selection and a commited workforce, they are translating mangas within a month of the Japanese release date.
However FTH (the guys translating into English) are translating 24 differnt mangas, which should generally mean they will probably be around 3 times as slow (if all other things are equal). As a result they seem to be a year behind the Japanese release date.
If you have a problem with this, then bring more attention to freezing. I am sure that the translators probably prioritze on the more popular manga's then the less popular ones.

I have to disagree. If it were as simple as "more projects = slower translations per chapter", sure, however it varies wildly from group to group.

http://vatoto.com/group/_/e/endless-abyss-r167
36 projects worked on but they have a very fast translation rate (RRR has been getting an incredibly solid one chapter per 22 hours passed consistently for a month or two now and just got completed yesterday) and they recently celebrated their 1000th release.

http://vatoto.com/group/_/j/japanzai-r655
They're not the world's fastest scanalators, but they generally keep on top of the stuff they work on and are pretty consistent, despite having a massive library of stuff they have taken on (66 series!) and recently celebrated their 800th release.

That's just two examples. I could name others but long story short it's really more that FTH fall into the (very) low end of the spectrum of how well different groups keep reasonably up to date with the series they work on.

Edited by Amplify, 20 March 2012 - 02:18 PM.

Irecinius

Irecinius

Potato

• Members
  • 185 posts
I love the "why question" like english should always be the first and foremost and all other languages should only come after that release or that they are translation from english to whatever..

If you want english, sit tight..
if you want to get asap, go learn japanese..
or portugese.. how about that.

TaintedDream

TaintedDream

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • LocationUnited States

I have to disagree. If it were as simple as "more projects = slower translations per chapter", sure, however it varies wildly from group to group.

36 projects worked on but they have a very fast translation rate (RRR has been getting an incredibly solid one chapter per 22 hours passed consistently for a month or two now and just got completed yesterday) and they recently celebrated their 1000th release.

They're not the world's fastest scanalators, but they generally keep on top of the stuff they work on and are pretty consistent, despite having a massive library of stuff they have taken on (66 series!) and recently celebrated their 800th release.

That's just two examples. I could name others but long story short it's really more that FTH fall into the (very) low end of the spectrum of how well different groups keep reasonably up to date with the series they work on.

That's why he said

(if all other things are equal)

Which includes number of the group's members, how much time each member puts in, and how skilled each member is. RRR for example, probably has a ton of members, and is probably one of the groups who has multiple teams within their team, say one team does these mangas, and another group does these other ones.

Hermes

Hermes

Potato Sprout

• Contributor
  • 9 posts

BMS (the guys who translate it into portugese) are translating just 9 different mangas.

That's not true, Trepur. Not all of them are available here, but we do have 36 active projects currently. For what it's worth, we have been around since July 2008, and have released roughly 2000 chapters until now. And, I'm not sure about others, but at Brazil Mangá, we don't prioritize our series by popularity; we are working equally hard on MM!, for example, which had been largely forgotten by everyone until recently.

If you want faster releases, you should join your favorite group and help them out.

GuReN

GuReN

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationSouthern Brazil
Why? The very same reason because other mangas have english translations waaay more fast than the portuguese ones...

I'm Brazillian, but that's the first manga I've saw that has the non-english past the english one, and btw, the translation is SO GOOD!!!

Irecinius

Irecinius

Potato

• Members
  • 185 posts
I dont care either, tho I prefer english, since portuguese is somewhat limited on some aspects. plus some parts sound weird.. like him calling her sister..

so I won't say the translation is "sooo good" its ok, they could do a little better taking some libertities on translation,

Trepur

Trepur

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • LocationCanada

That's why he said

Which includes number of the group's members, how much time each member puts in, and how skilled each member is. RRR for example, probably has a ton of members, and is probably one of the groups who has multiple teams within their team, say one team does these mangas, and another group does these other ones.

Tainted dream did a good job at explaining it. I don't know the size of the teams, how efficient they are, how much time they devote etc.

but generally speaking the more you have to translate the longer it takes...

That's not true, Trepur. Not all of them are available here, but we do have 36 active projects currently. For what it's worth, we have been around since July 2008, and have released roughly 2000 chapters until now. And, I'm not sure about others, but at Brazil Mangá, we don't prioritize our series by popularity; we are working equally hard on MM!, for example, which had been largely forgotten by everyone until recently.

If you want faster releases, you should join your favorite group and help them out.

I stand corrected on both accounts. I would also be interested as to why you would work hard on a project such as MM! if it is, as you put it, largely forgotten. I know scanlations are not a profit oriented business (as they are generally free to read) and are done by the kindness of the translators, but I would assume the more popular ones would get more attention since its what your audiances would like to see translated...

As for the request of joining groups for faster translations, I only know English (fluently) and French (second language, far from fluent but can have basic conversations (if the other person talks slowly) and can read it). Like most people here, I assume we are waiting for scanlations and complaining about how painfully slow the current scanlators are simply because we don't speak Japanese or (in this instance) Portuguese. I'm not complaining, since its a free service and am not paying for it, but I see that others are. The only reason why we are here (for most of us), is because we don't speak Japanese and need to wait for English.

That being said what I have done for Chapters 66-68 (since I really want to read it) is opened google translator side by side with the manga and typed in word for word what is said in the manga. Although the translations aren't always perfect (sometimes the sentences don't make sense and I have to sorta guess) but for the most part it is working. The only downside is the chapters now take ~1 hour to read instead of 10 minutes.

Amplify

Amplify

Potato

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • LocationEngland

That's why he said

Thanks, but I too have the ability to read and am aware of what he said. Neither of the groups I linked have huge teams and nor does RRR, the different is that while they also take an hour to translate they don't follow that up with 3 weeks for cleaning and getting things "just perfect" for a minimal visual improvement while also insulting other groups that take 1/100th the time for not having "perfect" quality.

Let's try a few statistics shall we? I'll use each group's most recent 50 released chapters of any series as a baseline;

Endless Abyss: (roughly) 1.47 chapters per day
Japanzai: 1.39 chapters per day
For The Halibut: 0.2924 chapters per day

Making FTH as much as 5 times slower than other groups. Heck, I could compare them to a 1 man scan team if you prefer?

PROzess: 0.237 chapters per day

Making FTH slightly faster than one guy on his own who also translates stuff for half a dozen other groups too. Being able to slightly beat one guy with the aid an entire scanlation team isn't really something to brag about, though.

*edit*
I'd just like to note that normally I wouldn't point out or complain at all about speed or quality or anything else in any group's release and I'll just wait happily for any release when it happens. Normally.

Meet the leader of FTH:
Posted Image

Pinoymanga's crime? Picking up FTH's slack. If you're going to insult other groups, at least make sure your own group doesn't have any major problems itself first with speed or quality or whatever.

Edited by Amplify, 20 March 2012 - 07:25 PM.

Trepur

Trepur

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • LocationCanada
Interesting statistics Amplify. And you are very much correct, FTH is slower then others at updating then many others.

However as tainted dream said, we don't know the reason they are slow:
Their translators could have much busier lives, they might have a smaller team etc. I didn't think to check the frequency in which they release updates, all I noticed was that BMS updates 1/3 of the mangas, and so would likely have an easier time updating.

BMS posts .633 chapters per day, only twice the speed of FTH (for this site, they have more on their page), yet when it comes to Freezing in the last 10 weeks (Jan 13th on) FTH has posted 3 chapters while BMS has posted 25.

Based on the posts per day, BMS should update twice as much as FTH, however they have updated 8 times as much simply because:
1. They have 1/3 of the mangas to update (remember on this site, if you count all mangas BMS does, its probably much faster then just .633 per day)
2. They have focused more on Freezing then FTH.
The two reasons I mentioned in my first post. They still stand as much of the explanation as to why BMS, and in fact account for 2/3 of the reason.

Noticed the edit:
Does it really matter whether the FTH leader is a a-hole or not? What matters is whether he posts scanlations or not (which in this case is rare...)

Edited by Trepur, 20 March 2012 - 07:58 PM.

Amplify

Amplify

Potato

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • LocationEngland

Interesting statistics Amplify. And you are very much correct, FTH is slower then others at updating then many others.

However as tainted dream said, we don't know the reason they are slow:
Their translators could have much busier lives, they might have a smaller team etc. I didn't think to check the frequency in which they release updates, all I noticed was that BMS updates 1/3 of the mangas, and so would likely have an easier time updating.

BMS posts .633 chapters per day, only twice the speed of FTH (for this site, they have more on their page), yet when it comes to Freezing in the last 10 weeks (Jan 13th on) FTH has posted 3 chapters while BMS has posted 25.

Based on the posts per day, BMS should update twice as much as FTH, however they have updated 8 times as much simply because:
1. They have 1/3 of the mangas to update (remember on this site, if you count all mangas BMS does, its probably much faster then just .633 per day)
2. They have focused more on Freezing then FTH.
The two reasons I mentioned in my first post. They still stand as much of the explanation as to why BMS, and in fact account for 2/3 of the reason.

Noticed the edit:
Does it really matter whether the FTH leader is a a-hole or not? What matters is whether he posts scanlations or not (which in this case is rare...)

I can tell you straight up right now, FTH is slow because they choose to be slow, sacrificing all speed in exchange for quality.

This isn't about Freezing or the number of series a group works on, not at all.

A group that works on 100 series and posts 100 chapters in 100 days works at a rate of 1 chapter per day.
A group that works on 1 series and posts 100 chapters in 100 days works at a rate of 1 chapter per day.
A group that works on 1,000,000 series and posts 100 chapters in 100 days STILL works at a rate of 1 chapter per day.

See where I'm going with that? It's the rate a group move at, discounting any specific series because that series might be a monthly, it might be on hiatus for a while or the raws might be hard to get or whatever reason at all. That's why it's counted as a whole so that the group's speed as a whole can be analyzed, rather than just their love of any given particular manga ;)

I mean for example, PROzess (the one man scan) did 15 chapters of Minimum almost every day but has stopped there since there's no more chapters out for it. Yet despite that I didn't say he had a CPD rate of 1 instead of 0.237 or anything like that ;)

Also, I only mentioned him being an a-hole as the reason I'm now ragging on about the abysmal speed of the group as a whole. If you never go around being a dick to people who pick up your slack then you can be as bad at what you do as you like and I for one won't mind. If you're great at what you do then you can ultimately get away with whatever you like and I for one won't mind. But if you suck shit and insult others for making you look bad? You get me posting in this thread for starters.

Edited by Amplify, 20 March 2012 - 09:09 PM.

Trepur

Trepur

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • LocationCanada
When did I say the # of series effect that # of chapters per day?

Heres the differences using your examples:
b. This group more or less posts an entire series within 100 days.
c. This group, although posts a lot, is so overcommited, each series they have taken on gets a chapter every 10000 days...

So your examples defeated your own argument ;)

Also, I only mentioned him being an a-hole as the reason I'm now ragging on about the abysmal speed of the group as a whole. If you never go around being a dick to people who pick up your slack then you can be as bad at what you do as you like and I for one won't mind. If you're great at what you do then you can ultimately get away with whatever you like and I for one won't mind. But if you suck shit and insult others for making you look bad? You get me posting in this thread for starters.

I completely understand, and in the circumstances of FTH, yeah, their leader is an a-hole and you have the right to complain. And are you sure he sacrifices a lot of time for quality? Because I barely notice a difference in quality between BSM and FTH...

edit: changed the ) to a . for the B and C to avoid gettting the sunglasses smiley

Edited by Trepur, 20 March 2012 - 09:59 PM.

Hermes

Hermes

Potato Sprout

• Contributor
  • 9 posts

I would also be interested as to why you would work hard on a project such as MM! if it is, as you put it, largely forgotten.

Most times, because we are fans of the series ourselves, and want to see it translated into our own language, no matter how many people will read it. Sometimes, because we want we to finish what previous members have started. You should also remember that, when we started most of our projects, they didn't enjoy nearly as much popularity as they do now. Freezing, one of our initial projects, was unknown back in 2008.

As for the request of joining groups for faster translations, I only know English (fluently) and French (second language, far from fluent but can have basic conversations (if the other person talks slowly) and can read it). Like most people here, I assume we are waiting for scanlations and complaining about how painfully slow the current scanlators are simply because we don't speak Japanese or (in this instance) Portuguese.

You don't need to know a foreign language to help. If you can write well in your native language, then you can become a copy-editor (corrects grammatical and spelling mistakes, improves the flow of the text). If you are skilled in Photoshop, or some similar software, you can become a cleaner (removes the original Japanese text from the scanned pages) or a typesetter (inserts the translated text back into them). If you live in Japan, or near a large Japanese bookstore, you can become a raw provider (buys and scans the magazines/tankōbon). Etc.

Surprisingly, what we need the most at Brazil Mangá right now are cleaners/typesetters, not translators.

Amplify

Amplify

Potato

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • LocationEngland

When did I say the # of series effect that # of chapters per day?

"BMS (the guys who translate it into portugese) are translating just 9 different mangas. As they have a rather limited selection and a commited workforce, they are translating mangas within a month of the Japanese release date.
However FTH (the guys translating into English) are translating 24 differnt mangas, which should generally mean they will probably be around 3 times as slow (if all other things are equal). As a result they seem to be a year behind the Japanese release date."

"Based on the posts per day, BMS should update twice as much as FTH, however they have updated 8 times as much simply because:
1. They have 1/3 of the mangas to update (remember on this site, if you count all mangas BMS does, its probably much faster then just .633 per day)"

Heres the differences using your examples:
b. This group more or less posts an entire series within 100 days.
c. This group, although posts a lot, is so overcommited, each series they have taken on gets a chapter every 10000 days...

So your examples defeated your own argument ;)

Point status: missed

No group would take on a million series unless 999,950+ of them were already completed, the point is that I was comparing it to what you had just said about how if you only count freezing, BSG is 8x faster than FTH compared to if you counted everything they worked on instead. The point is that SOMETHING is getting updated, regardless of how many series they do, if they only do one release every 5 days it's still worse than a group that does one release every two days. If a group doesn't translate a certain series for a month or three that's totally fine, but you'd usually expect that the attention they would otherwise have paid to it to be directed elsewhere.

And are you sure he sacrifices a lot of time for quality? Because I barely notice a difference in quality between BSM and FTH...

Elementary my dear Watson it's logical reasoning and deduction.

1: FTH's general release rate is fairly steady and doesn't fluctuate suggesting that there aren't really any problems with staff sometimes being too busy to help out, but rather each chapter simply taking longer to do than the release rate in that manga's home country.

2: Rarely, they are releasing double chapters which suggests again they aren't short staffed but rather from time to time two chapters make it through QC at the same time and get released together, thanks to staff occasionally having free time on their hands.

3: To follow up on 2, they've never (in the last 100 chapters or so at least) done a big release of more than 3 chapters at once, which is a pretty good indicator that they are slowly working on every chapter, rather than quickly doing one chapter and then moving onto the next one. A fast group might sometimes work on subsequent chapters one after the other and blaze through a dozen chapters of a given manga in the space of a day, that wouldn't happen with a group focused on quality.

4: The biggest indicator to me though is exactly what Dyspathy said in that post I took a picture of, Pinoy's releases were pretty decent yet he had big complaints about the quality, suggesting to me that he's focused entirely on the quality control at the cost of all else and nothing less than the best will do.

The results of this can clearly be seen in how far behind they're falling on various series, if the speed at which they released wasn't affected at all by the quest for that 10% or so extra quality, this thread wouldn't even exist ;)

Edited by Amplify, 20 March 2012 - 11:38 PM.

Brykan

Brykan

Potato Spud

• tC Donator
  • 13 posts
even the best of quality doesn't take nearly as long as they are taking atm though as there are alot of speed groups that have quality that rivals or is better then a group that takes this long per release and the only reason there was a complaint wasn't due to lack of quality on the group releaseing faster(even though there might have been some problems with it) it was more so the taking a jab at someone who is working on the same series just for the sake of being a dick about it