Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Family Compo Discussion

masahiko shion yukari haruka family compo

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Purple Library Guy

Purple Library Guy

Fried Potato

• Donator
  • 695 posts
  • LocationCheck Rivendell, or Vorbarr Sultana, or Adrilankha. No? Try Vancouver.

Well, she's not cheating, she's breaking up with him.  But aside from that I see your point.  On the gripping hand, him being justified in his approach doesn't necessarily mean that makes him the right boyfriend for her.  She appears to need someone justified in a different approach.  Her position is she's been put upon all her life and she needs someone who will be on her side through thick and thin; whether for excellent reasons or not, he is not that someone.

Shion on the other hand is just fine at being on her own side; unconditional backup isn't something she's in dire need of.

Comadrin

Comadrin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 799 posts
  • LocationManetheren, but more realistically Southern California

In the end, Masahiko (Giba) is himself.  Yoko said, "You were always kind," which is probably his defining characteristic.  He is somewhat indecisive, as he usually overthinks things and tries to see everyone's point of view (part and parcel of his innate kindness), but I don't really see him as a wuss.  He fairly flew out of the house to help Kaoru fight against her former "associates," and was ready to fight with the guy who was with Shion in the chapter "Shion Courtesan!?"  

Was he a less than stellar boyfriend?  Yes, mainly because he cared about Yoko, but wasn't really in love with her.  For almost all his life, he was forced by circumstance to be a loner, and had no idea how people relate to each other.  His high school acquaintance bursts back into his life and selfishly used him (and his emotions) to try to gain her own ends.  Later she basically made him her boyfriend, but in all their interactions, she was either jealous or impatient with him.  In their breakup, I thought the most telling thing was her words that flashed into Masahiko's mind, "I only wanted you to be on my side, no matter what!"  Not "be by my side," "care about me," or "try to make me happy."  She just wanted him to always back her up against her mother.  Obviously, there was a definite lack of love for him on her side.

As to the ending, I thought it was particularly good.  It wasn't a passionate embrace in the sunset, but it was pretty apt for how the story has gone since its' beginning.  It has been a fun ride since I started reading it several years ago, and I'm grateful to all six scanlators who have put their time into bringing it to us, especially segobi, who finished it so incredibly quickly.

Edited by Comadrin, 22 November 2014 - 02:23 PM.

Jade123

Jade123

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

I just finished reading this massive story in one go and I'm quite pleased with it. I could identify myself with the main character, but I was hoping for an alternative ending(s) "What if...." My adoption parents didn't give me much love and I really loved this family. I would have loved to see he would have deepened the bond with his foster parents. The story of the wedding ceremony, which he paid for, could have procided that.

There 3 occassions where he almost kissed Shion: in the car being lost, drunk in the park (I'm still wondering if he really kissed her) and at the inn of his ex-girlfriend. Too bad Shion didn't tease him more with that. She also was a bit of a coward. She seems to be the stronger willed person, but still awaits Masahiko to confess first. Of course if she would have given him a push the story would have been shorter.

To create more confusion a 'love' story of Kaoru would have been nice or a blind date where she and Masahiko were set up. I would love to have seen some of Shion father's work. I still don't know what he has drawn. Although a lot of all nighters the work seemed like fun me being a graphic designer. I would have loved to see a side story of the manga drawn in a seperate chapter. With most manga's I've read I will color in a page or so (for Green Blood I photoshopped the dagger revolver). Hence I loved the colored pages to use as reference.

The breakup with Yoko was no surprise. He was a terrible boyfriend and when she needed his support he wasn't there. Masahiko should have had more dates or girlfriends on the story. I had several doubts about his sexuality and he looked so feminine as a crossdresser. Both he and Shion are unexperienced but they could act the real thing. Too bad there wasn't a beach scene in the acting stuff. Then he would have asked Shion's mum for advise on hiding his junk. She looked amazing in the bathing suit (I'm over 50 so I mostly look at matures)

As for the ending I am not satisfied. If I was Masahiko I would have confessed to Shino much earlier that I loved her or him as a big brother and later confessed the real feelings. I think the real feelings should have been that he didn't care if she was a man or woman as long he could stay with her. I don't believe that the uncertainty of her sex would have delayed his confession, but he could have confessed in a different way. He could have told her he loved and if she was the same sex to be honest or how it would affect the brotherly love between them.

Since he already wanted to move out of the house before the author couldn't use this again. But it would fit the story he was planning to leave the house being in love with his cousin, a forbidden love wit family. Let's say he kissed Shion and could face her parents and his foster parents. Later Shion could forgive him and the story continues him keeping a bit of distance for a while till she turns into a boy. Maybe her boy choice was affected by the sudden kiss.

I found it very lame Kaoru's parents getting back together. There was still room for another "woman" in her father's life. The worker that was already correcting him..

I still have unanswered questions:

- What is the name of the baby girl?

- What was the name of the mangeka's work?

- What happened to Asagi?

- Will there be a sequel or anime adaption?