Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Recommend me a Manga please

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Seth

Seth

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationDenmark
Hello

First of all i want to say thank you to the founders of this site, i greatly appreciate what you are doing for the community :)

Secondly, this is my first post on these forums, so please bear over with any mistakes i may make.

Recently i've found thinking "wow, thats lame", "what a cliche", "too much fanservice", "i can foresee what will happen here"(most of the time i'm right), whenever i try to read a new manga. It tires me, i'm a great manga fan, and have been for the last 12 years of my life.

So, i'm looking for some new comics to turn my attention to, I dont know if i just have a very limited scope, but it feels like i've read most of whats worth reading out there.

Here's some of the manga's i've enjoyed the most over the years:
- Dragon Ball (not so much anymore, i've read and reread it so many times that i can recall details about the drawings, incidentally this was the first manga i read)
- Ranma½
- IO (found it after reading these forums)
- Love Hina, and that similar manga where the lead male falls in love with some girl from the Track&Field team, and we follow them for several years till they finally get together.
- Elfen Lied
- Battle Angel Alita, i fucking love this manga, as well as the spinoff sequel; Last Order, its a shame it doesnt get updated very often :/

- Toriko to some extent, though of late it has been spinning more and more out of control (breaking a mountain, really?)

Besides that i'm keeping up with Naruto, One Piece and Bleach.

What i would rather not see in Manga's:

- Lolita stuff, for some reason it just makes my skin crawl

- Excessive fanservice, To Love Ru/Darkness is an excellent example

- Overly submissive leads, specially males, makes me want to reach into the manga and slap some sense into him.

- Fighting Manga's where the lead gets superpowered after delivering some speech about how important friendship is and why he will now proceed to kick the opponents ass.

- Mangas where we hardly get any introduction to the characters before we're thrown into a chaotic scene which makes the reader lose track of who and what the character are. There's not a lot of these around, i've seen some of them, but i cant remember the names as i usually just close the tab.

- Webtoons, doesnt all that scrolling make anyone else want to cut it into pieces and re-upload it? :P

I am flexible on above points, if the manga is worth it :)

I'm looking forward to any responses i might get, and feel free to ask me questions, i'll be watching the forums almost hourly when im at home.

- Seth

potato

potato

Bikini Potato

• Members
  • 245 posts
Umm incase you have not finished IO the manga gets sorta lolicon at the end thought I would warn you it certainly took me by surprise >.>. Orange Marmalade is a webtoon but I really like it so I am suggesting it anyway =p.

Souldrake

Souldrake

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 275 posts
I will recommend Watashi no Messiah-sama ( http://vatoto.com/comic/_/comics/watashi-no-messiah-sama-r1416 ) though, I will warn you that you will want to strangle Shinya many times throughout the manga, but the other characters and some of the twists that it takes make up for his shortcomings. And he does get better... eventually.

You may also like Seishun Forget: http://vatoto.com/comic/_/comics/seishun-forget-r710 which seems fairly typical until you get to some of the later chapters that are out. If you are tired of fanservice, Shizuku in Seishun may offer you a bit of relief as she is a personified joke of all things fanservice.

Souldrake
Manga-Heaven Co-Founder and Translator [Retired]

Seth

Seth

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationDenmark
Thanks for the recommendations :)

@Potato
Yeah, the last few chapters of IO were just plain wierd, i didnt really get what was happening, one second they where in the andes facing a chopper, the next they were back on the island, with no tale of what happened inbetween

@Souldrake
I've been trying to read Watashi no Messiah-Sama, but its like there's a huge hole in the chapters thats been uploaded to batoto, its like there's a gap in the happenings between volume 6 and 7.

Looking into seishun forget now :)

Souldrake

Souldrake

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 275 posts
Seth: That is the way the manga goes. It is explained in full detail why that is around v8.

Souldrake
Manga-Heaven Co-Founder and Translator [Retired]

Seth

Seth

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationDenmark
Oh dear, gives me flashbacks to Haruhi >_>

Grumpy

Grumpy

RawR

• Administrators
  • 4,078 posts
  • LocationHere of course!

- Webtoons, doesnt all that scrolling make anyone else want to cut it into pieces and re-upload it? :P

Attached File  perpage.jpg   191.37KB   62 downloads

Trebor

Trebor

Voice to the Voiceless

• Administrators
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationUSA
Tower of God
Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri

The Roady

The Roady

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • LocationElder of Past Times

Attached File  perpage.jpg   191.37KB   62 downloads

always thought that was a advertisement....

i like this one....World Embryo, hope u like it too
Posted Image
Spoiler

Seth

Seth

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationDenmark
Lol Grumpy, for some reason i must have missed that, thanks for pointing it out for me :D, how does it work, seperate uploads?

I think i've been reading World Embryo before, but seeing as its still ongoing i must not have read it all, now for the work of finding out where i left it :V

TheCrowSword

TheCrowSword

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationDenmark
hmm I seriously don't get why you would chose not to read a manga because of it's in medias res... ... ... ... .. . .. . . .. .. . . . brain overheats :s
but i'm going to recommend these anyways

Id: the greatest fantasy fusion
Bitter virgin
Chrome shelled regios
Holyland
Darren sharn
Yureka
Shiki
Ubel Blatt

but really why don't you instead of saying this and that I don't want, say this and that I really like? Makes it much easier to find manga, you could find thousands of romance mangas where none of that would fit, but would you like to read those? no right?
Posted Image
Spoiler

Seth

Seth

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationDenmark
Haha, this is great, i'm being reminded of all those manga's i once were following, but then has forgotten about because of work/vacations/whatever

Thanks a load :D

also, it seems like per page view is not working for ToG.

hero

hero

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,381 posts
try reading Trace: http://vatoto.com/comic/_/comics/trace-r112

maybe Change 123: http://vatoto.com/comic/_/comics/change-123-r287

- Love Hina, and that similar manga where the lead male falls in love with some girl from the Track&Field team, and we follow them for several years till they finally get together.

could it be Suzuka?

Soushi

Soushi

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 17 posts
I like Eden no Ori, although it does get a bit fan-servicy later on, it is very good. If you like Holyland that roaringrain recommended then I would also recommend Suicide Island and Destroy and Revolution which are by the same author. Like you I have also gotten quite bored of fighting mangas and so I'm much more into senien/psychological stuff if you're interested in that then I'd also recommend Liar Game and Dr. Frost. (webcomic)
P.S. I disagree with your view on Webcomics, i find them much more convenient, rather than waiting for the page to keep on loading just relax and scroll down foreverrrr..... well good luck with your manga search!

Edit: Idk if Suicide Island and Destroy and Revolution are on batoto btw, I just remember them, so if they're not then soz lol

Edited by Soushi, 10 December 2011 - 11:18 PM.

Seth

Seth

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationDenmark

could it be Suzuka?

Yep, thats it.

I keep forgetting names, its like when you've got the name on your tongue, but you cant quite remember it, damned brain >_>

I disagree with your view on Webcomics, i find them much more convenient, rather than waiting for the page to keep on loading just relax and scroll down foreverrrr..... well good luck with your manga search!

Well, that strongly depends on your connection, and the size of your screen, at home i'm on a 30/30 connection, and at school i'm on a 200/200 connection, so its not like i have long loading times.

Except when im trying to access mangastream right after a release, in the US timezone, daym those guys suck a lot of bandwidth.

edit:

hmm I seriously don't get why you would chose not to read a manga because of it's in medias res... ... ... ... .. . .. . . .. .. . . . brain overheats :s

i'm not quite sure what you mean with this :P

Edited by Seth, 10 December 2011 - 11:30 PM.

TheCrowSword

TheCrowSword

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationDenmark

i'm not quite sure what you mean with this :P

well....
jeg mener bare at jeg ikke forstår hvorfor du ikke kan lide mangaer der starter i selve historien :)

I simply don't understand why you don't like mangas that start in the middle of the storry :)
Posted Image
Spoiler

Soushi

Soushi

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 17 posts

well....
jeg mener bare at jeg ikke forstår hvorfor du ikke kan lide mangaer der starter i selve historien :)

I simply don't understand why you don't like mangas that start in the middle of the storry :)

I agree with Seth on this one. For me its annoying when you dont know anything about the characters and the manga just starts randomly and you never even get a detailed description or development of the characters

Edited by Soushi, 14 December 2011 - 02:11 AM.

TheCrowSword

TheCrowSword

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationDenmark

I agree with Seth on this one. For me its annoying when you dont know anything about the characters and the manga just starts randomly and you never even get a detailed description or development of the characters

you get the last 2 just at a later point...
Posted Image
Spoiler

Seth

Seth

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationDenmark
That is true, but it leaves you in a confused state until they are introduced, besides, it doesnt make for good storytelling, how often do you see a book where it starts in a huge fight?

TheCrowSword

TheCrowSword

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationDenmark

That is true, but it leaves you in a confused state until they are introduced, besides, it doesnt make for good storytelling, how often do you see a book where it starts in a huge fight?

hah, that actually happens a lot... ok I'm not sure about starting in huge fights but I haven't really seen any manga/manwha where they actually do that, but in medias res happens a lot in books as well

Edited by roaringrain, 18 December 2011 - 02:21 PM.

Posted Image
Spoiler