Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Author seems to be a strong believer in gender roles.

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

First, examining Ibusuki's secret gender. It doesn't make sense to me that Ibusuki would pretend to be male just so that she wouldn't have to see images of herself over boys. Seems like it would actually be a useful skill to know who likes you are not. On the other hand as a fake male she has to deal with the demon zombies, seems those are much worse then seeing the zombies as yourself.

So she is pretending to be male and pretending to hate Taro when she actually wants "to be her true self" AKA female and is in love with Taro. I suppose she could be in denial about the love.

Grandma wants to reveal her secret so she can have a real daughter, since if she is male, that makes her a different person and more of a disappointment to grandma.

Grandpa wants to hand down leadership of the family business to her, but only if she is a pretend male. Like its inconceivable to give the family business over to a known female. Like being a heir is a macho thing, a sign of being male, as if she accepted said inheritance, it would be like accepting to pretend to be male for the rest of her life.

Like she couldn't be herself, have the same relationship with grandma, and be a heir to the family business, no matter what gender role she was playing. Say if she were to reject gender roles altogether, where would she be left in all this nonsense?

All this to me is the author saying Ibusuki's identity is her gender. That would be why she she is mad with Taro, that she felt she had to mess up her identity in order to avoid seeing versions of herself over boys heads.

I dislike all this nonsense. It could have been done much better. Very shallow story telling and character fleshing.

Edited by truepurple, 15 June 2016 - 01:34 PM.

kukin

kukin

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 10 posts

POPULAR

Begone with ye tumblr demon

Cardefash

Cardefash

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts
Oooor, the grandpas are just "old fashioned"

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

Oooor, the grandpas are just "old fashioned"

How is that a "or", if anything it's a "and", since it fits with what I said rather then being a opposing theory. But it's not just the old folks, it's Ibusuki herself that plays into all this. Like why did she try to sneak out in a dress, rather then sneak into her room and change into malewear. Then she could inherit the company and still reveal herself as female and loving the MC latter if she wanted to. Unless she herself doesn't believe she can run the family estate/company as a self identified female thus wanted to avoid such so she could hold onto the option of loving the MC as a women.

And for the record I have no experience with tumbler. I hold my own opinions and have taken flak from SJW and anti-SJW alike on youtube when I comment there (though I am more against SJW extremism, more on that side of things) My positions are well thought out and entirely my own.

Edited by truepurple, 18 June 2016 - 08:10 AM.

LordKragan

LordKragan

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts

Upon reading your comments I cannot but tell you you're being an utter moron. This is not about gender roles but about being male and female. She's a female trying to masquerade as a male not because she identifies as such but because of necessity. Go feth off.

Also, in no moment it is said she's going to inherit the family's business due to being a male but rather its more implied that the grandfather is running with the idea.

Edited by LordKragan, 18 June 2016 - 08:20 PM.

Cardefash

Cardefash

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts

Upon reading your comments I cannot but tell you you're being an utter moron. This is not about gender roles but about being male and female. She's a female trying to masquerade as a male not because she identifies as such but because of necessity. Go feth off.
Also, in no moment it is said she's going to inherit the family's business due to being a male but rather its more implied that the grandfather is running with the idea.

Second this

Redpandagirl

Redpandagirl

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

First, examining Ibusuki's secret gender. It doesn't make sense to me that Ibusuki would pretend to be male just so that she wouldn't have to see images of herself over boys. Seems like it would actually be a useful skill to know who likes you are not. On the other hand as a fake male she has to deal with the demon zombies, seems those are much worse then seeing the zombies as yourself.

So she is pretending to be male and pretending to hate Taro when she actually wants "to be her true self" AKA female and is in love with Taro. I suppose she could be in denial about the love.

Grandma wants to reveal her secret so she can have a real daughter, since if she is male, that makes her a different person and more of a disappointment to grandma.

Grandpa wants to hand down leadership of the family business to her, but only if she is a pretend male. Like its inconceivable to give the family business over to a known female. Like being a heir is a macho thing, a sign of being male, as if she accepted said inheritance, it would be like accepting to pretend to be male for the rest of her life.

Like she couldn't be herself, have the same relationship with grandma, and be a heir to the family business, no matter what gender role she was playing. Say if she were to reject gender roles altogether, where would she be left in all this nonsense?

All this to me is the author saying Ibusuki's identity is her gender. That would be why she she is mad with Taro, that she felt she had to mess up her identity in order to avoid seeing versions of herself over boys heads.

I dislike all this nonsense. It could have been done much better. Very shallow story telling and character fleshing.

What about Ebino? You know, the other female main who loves sports and everyone calls the strongest? And no one is trying to make her give up physical activities and do something more 'feminine'? Or the blond girl they set up with the chubby boy? The one they told her that he would except her as she is without making her do extremely 'girly' things for his attention.

And the Grandfather is supportive. Where are you getting this stuff from?

Arsenikal

Arsenikal

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts

Clearly a tumblrina trying to find something to complain about.

Redpandagirl

Redpandagirl

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

And another thing, if she went back to being a girl, the boys that like her might make her Love Zombie wear incredibly revealing clothing and act perverted. She doesn't want want to see herself like that, heck, she even explained it!

Eldaeb

Eldaeb

Potato Spud

• Winner!
  • 27 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Yeah, it's kinda the story premise - she doesn't want to be seen as female so she doesn't get the love zombies - I seriously think (constant) perverted versions of yourself would be far far worse than (occasional) angry versions of other people.

As for the gender roles - it DOES distinguish between physical gender and the role people fill (YAY, so many people shallowly ignore that - like truepurple) but it doesn't present her as being pushed towards a role.  Just like they are in life roles are depicted as secondary and fluid.

Yeah, the grandpa is pretty traditionalist - but both old people and big business are a lot like that, his behaviour I think IS chosen to create a contrast of expectations (which leads to many potential interesting developments) but isn't much of a stretch.

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

Girls look in mirrors wearing nothing or next to nothing and don't get embarrassed by their reflections. And she knows no one else is seeing them.

asashio

asashio

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts
It's not quite the same as looking at a mirror when you are seeing exactly how other people are fantasising about you. I imagine that'd be rough during sex ed.

Tutorial Boss

Tutorial Boss

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

Also, outside of the narrow world of tumblrites exist a place called Japan, where like many other parts of the world, have yet to be infested by tumblrites and have cultural differences to our tumblrite-infested culture.

Wow, tumblrite is a really fun word.

SNMS6

SNMS6

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • LocationBogor , West Java , Indonesia

IMO i believe gender roles are good because it's adapting in the natural order God has created , females should and expected to act like female , and males should and expected to act like male ...

But yes , i didn't see nothing wrong about your values as you are western people who like freedom , it just you complaining about somebody else's imagination world , which is the author and he/she is an eastern people who have totally different values with yours , so i didn't see why you just ignore this ...

20801.jpg

19.jpg

Sanarchic

Sanarchic

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

IMO i believe gender roles are good because it's adapting in the natural order God has created , females should and expected to act like female , and males should and expected to act like male ...

But yes , i didn't see nothing wrong about your values as you are western people who like freedom , it just you complaining about somebody else's imagination world , which is the author and he/she is an eastern people who have totally different values with yours , so i didn't see why you just ignore this ...

While I don't share your religious values, I get that you're trying to promote tolerance.  Careful not to assume this author's personal stance though: Minenami Ryo-sensei also writes the most anti-gender-role manga series I've ever read (Himegoto).  Hatsukoi Zombie isn't as openly provocative as Himegoto but the main themes here are still tolerant friendship and affection crossing boundaries.  Himegoto is far more serious while this is a comedy, but the author shows a lot of similar values.

Yeah, the gender-specific nature of the Zombies themselves somewhat encourage traditional roles for attraction, but the approach to matchmaking doesn't.  From Tarou being presumed gay by much of the cast to Ibuski's crossdressing and confidence issues, the manga plays these things for laughs but rarely in a way that judges the character.  So I'd say the opposite of OP here--it's far more likely you're reading a free love Trojan horse than something pro-tradition.  Which I'm cool with.  Floating half-naked men is (sadly?) a lot less marketable.

The World God Only Knows is a great manga that is far more traditional in both the worldbuilding and relationships that does fit your points though.

SNMS6

SNMS6

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • LocationBogor , West Java , Indonesia

While I don't share your religious values, I get that you're trying to promote tolerance.  Careful not to assume this author's personal stance though: Minenami Ryo-sensei also writes the most anti-gender-role manga series I've ever read (Himegoto).  Hatsukoi Zombie isn't as openly provocative as Himegoto but the main themes here are still tolerant friendship and affection crossing boundaries.  Himegoto is far more serious while this is a comedy, but the author shows a lot of similar values.

yeah i know but i said that not assuming sensei's stance to this topic , i tried to say it as neutral as possible using general east's especially Japan's acceptable set of values , thanks ...

20801.jpg

19.jpg

Ecchi_Hayate

Ecchi_Hayate

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

1- Unless you are a girl that loves seeing people fantasize about about you (at this point i'd assume you're a whore) I don't see how a few demons will hurt you, also, she is capable of fighting demons, but probably not guys chasing and stalking her. Also, if she wanted people to like her, she could have easily flaunt her wealth. You must be really shallow to be unable to read between the lines, that she doesn't like taking advantage of others, nor showing off any of her capabilities unless needed. Maybe you have a lot of ego, or the lack of, and feel that every human should be squeezed of their worth(between those whom like you or not, so you can take advantage of it), well, sad to say, this lady doesn't share the same thinking as you. AND, do you really need to be able to see someone's love zombie to tell who likes you and who doesn't? You clearly lack appraisal skills as well.

2- What does this have to do with gender roles? Aside from that, all of this was reasoned in the manga itself, she wants Tarou to remember the whole incident before she can forgive him.

3- Also stated in the manga, the grandma wishes for Ibitsuki to be happy, which was the most apparent when she was still dressing up as a girl. At this point i want to ask if you actually read the manga.

4. This is traditional thinking. G-R-A-N-D-F-A-T-H-E-R which part of that do you not understand he's from a different era. If you think about it, the Grandfather already KNEW Ibitsuki is a girl. So what makes you think it was inconceivable? Your argument hardly holds any water! And if you actually researched, males are usually more capable when it comes to business. I am not saying women cannot do it, but majority of the males does it better. It is the representation of a company, and company image is important. You apparently don't know what social norms are, and how they actually affect businesses.

5. Right, how about you give me an example when a person has completely abandoned their gender role, and is still a heir to a corporation, and the corporation is still running fine? Please quote from scholarly articles. And links as well. And to answer your question, she'd be left with friends, but probably no partner.

6- Everything was explained as what i have pointed out above. Did you freaking R-E-A-D the manga at all? She's mad not because of the identity, but of Tarou forgetting the incident, and that she had to cross dress to avoid problems. Her Grandfather is taking advantage of that because he needs a heir, the only way is for Ibitsuki to get a husband, or stay as a man. Which normal guy would date a man? So you need a gay man now? Then afterwards if  they wanna have sex and the gay realizes Ibitsuki is a girl, what happens?

7- I dislike all your nonsense as well. It could have been a better topic if you weren't so shallow. And character fleshing, you don't know what sells do you. Go learn some marketing or business before you comment about that kind of shit.

Edited by Ecchi_Hayate, 22 November 2016 - 10:21 AM.

Bashlis

Bashlis

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts
I dont see that grandpa wants to hand down everything because of gender role, i feel like its because she told everyone to refer to her as he, and grandpa figured after so long she wants to be referred to as he for now on. I figured hes getting impatient and just wants a successor so he can retire without worrying about the families future.

Racky

Racky

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 27 posts

Do we really need to give this so much attention? It's what they want.

neorasp

neorasp

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 27 posts

Do we really need to give this so much attention? It's what they want.

1. there is nothing wrong with wanting attention. any person who voices their opinion in public wants to be heard.
2. OP isn't the only one with such opinions, even if others don't voice those out (because japan is japan so lets put up with it and enjoy the manga) our answers are not just for op but for any other person who thinks like that as well.

Edited by neorasp, 27 November 2016 - 04:27 AM.