Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Latest Chapter Discussion

• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

truthseeker

truthseeker

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts

Yes, it does, but I don't see how Mariya can have the supplies necessary and if the corpse is supposedly 50 years old, like what Yarai's group thinks, it would be highly doubtful that the hard drive would function, or the connectors necessary would be present in Mariya's inventory.

Thank you for stating what should be obvious. 50 years ago hard drives were 3 ft. across. Sorry, they don't plug into the computers we have now. On the other hand, the size of the hard drive he has is not 50 years old. 20 years ago the 3.5" standard was used, so it'd be the right shape, and computers are still made with those style of connections. Not on laptops newer than 2006-2007ish though. The wide ribbon cable.

As for the people saying, "It's time travel because they didn't have supercomputers!"....What the heck? Supercomputers were the only computers from 25-30 years ago all the way back to 1920s. (The '20s ones were hand-crank/steam, not electric. The first computer was of course more toward the '50s, the code-crackers of WWII still did their work on paper or mechanical means.) Not supercomputer from earlier than 2000 was as small as depicted, since they were air-conditioned, not air-cooled, so they had to be air-tight, or open inside a room of their own. Not a reason for time-travel. Rather, this story ALL happens in the future, where say a 2000-era super is "50 years old". Then it'd be the size and tech. depicted. <-- My theory. Don't see any need to through in time travel when the one character in-story to suggest it, is quite clearly out of his area of expertise.

And no, I'm totally making up the year-numbers and dates, you can find the right years in Wikipedia but I'm within +/- ten years of correct, and still a ways from what is claimed. The claim that 50 year old hard drives were 3 ft. across is totally made up, I think 30 years ago they were 6 ft. cubes (with round disks in them, duh), custom made for each storage size up to like 512KB or something. I'm a CS major, but computer history wasn't taught very well the one term that is required, so....
Anybody wanna refute/confirm on the dates/tech? I might go dig after finals on the 14th, but no promises. I've still gotta beat Oblivion before I start Skyrim, afterall. ^^

WhiteFox

WhiteFox

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts
Something that is very strange that no one has mentioned is the airliner's crash site. If you look closely at the wide shots of the plane, you notice that there is no landing trail, its as if the plane literally fell straight down from the sky, which is by no means conducive of a normal or even emergency landing; that plane had foward momentum, so when it hit the ground it should have slid a great distance and left evidence of such. And had it fallen straight down from the sky theres no way that it would be as intact as it was. This also raises the question of why Sengoku, Moriya, and Oomori were not on the plane after "crashing". I'm also curious as to why we haven't seen Hades recently, he seemed to be the driving force for the begining of the story, closely watching over the others, yet we have since to see even a single page of him, possibly gleaning at the others from a distance.

Senjosama

Senjosama

Fingerling Potato

• Contributor
  • 74 posts
  • LocationAustralia
It's already said the pilot didn't land the plane, meaning it was probably placed there.

Also new chapter by us at Death Toll.

Kokonoe's back.

Posted Image

Edited by WilliamP, 12 December 2011 - 01:48 PM.

genz

genz

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 10 posts

Not a reason for time-travel. Rather, this story ALL happens in the future, where say a 2000-era super is "50 years old". Then it'd be the size and tech. depicted. <-- My theory. Don't see any need to through in time travel when the one character in-story to suggest it, is quite clearly out of his area of expertise.

I agree, it's more likely the whole story takes place in the future than it involving time travel. I will be disapointed if it is time travel in the end. So far the story has had a couple of minor supernatural elements, but has mainly remained grounded in the realm of possibility.

Something that is very strange that no one has mentioned is the airliner's crash site. If you look closely at the wide shots of the plane, you notice that there is no landing trail, its as if the plane literally fell straight down from the sky, which is by no means conducive of a normal or even emergency landing; that plane had foward momentum, so when it hit the ground it should have slid a great distance and left evidence of such.

I noticed this early on, too. It is part of the reason why I came up with my previous theory which is posted earlier in the thread. More than why Sengoku, Mariya, and Oomori weren't in the plane, I've been wondering why Rion was still in the plane. She was right in front of Sengoku and appeared to be swallowed by that forcefield-monster-thing. If I was to make a guess I'd say someone moved the others out of the plane, but without knowing the motive of who or what brought them to the island, any explanation I make up would be completely baseless.

Can someone remind me who Kokonoe is? I've forgotten.

Edit:
I just came up with another off-the-wall theory, so I've got to throw it in here: What if the doctor in the new chapter is not someone from the crash, but rather someone who has something to do with the island who's just been blending in with the crowd? My reason: no reason, other than the fact that whatever is behind the island's mysteries probably involves some advanced science, so to me the appearance of a doctor is suspicious.

Edited by genz, 12 December 2011 - 04:51 PM.

Senjosama

Senjosama

Fingerling Potato

• Contributor
  • 74 posts
  • LocationAustralia
Tooru, Kotomi and Rei also weren't on the plane when it crash landed. They were in the mountains and hadn't seen anyone for WEEKS until they met Sengoku and co. And as you may have noticed, from the plane to the mountains, it took Sengoku's group ~5-8 weeks or something to get there. Given that 2 days of intense travel could do it, but that's not encountering anything, etc.

Thunder Wolf

Thunder Wolf

Fried Potato

• Retired Mods
  • 656 posts
  • LocationDiscord
Regarding the "doctor". I think he planned the sickness. I think he caused it just for the chance to take over the group. It's too suspicious that they all got sick but him and he just happened to have a cure.

The people in that group must be stupid. It's obvious he caused the sickness just to scare them and hold their lives in his hand. If they killed him, they'd still be fine and even better, free. Derp derp. logic.

2z50p6t.png

ValorantX

ValorantX

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,601 posts
Either way, he's controlling the group whether he's possibly deceiving them or not. If there is ever any a real sickness then they need him.

"Once you label me you negate me." - Soren Kierkegaard

Senjosama

Senjosama

Fingerling Potato

• Contributor
  • 74 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Regarding the "doctor". I think he planned the sickness. I think he caused it just for the chance to take over the group. It's too suspicious that they all got sick but him and he just happened to have a cure.

The people in that group must be stupid. It's obvious he caused the sickness just to scare them and hold their lives in his hand. If they killed him, they'd still be fine and even better, free. Derp derp. logic.

What?? They already know he's the one who done it... They're following his orders and working as slaves for a reason.

Soran Lioncore

Soran Lioncore

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • LocationAt the Wall
I just wonder who is this Hades guy? I think he knew something about the island. I also doubtful about him being insane. He seems to be alone in that island. i mean how he managed to survive alone? according to earlier chapter it seems it was only a few days after the crash when hades make his first appeareance . He might had lived in that island for a long time and can survived alone without help.

but he appeared only twice though. so i cant figured out much about his identity. hehe, i like to see he battled with akira again.

In case you feel offended by me, please forgive me. I just have a bad sense of humor. Heh...

Thunder Wolf

Thunder Wolf

Fried Potato

• Retired Mods
  • 656 posts
  • LocationDiscord

What?? They already know he's the one who done it... They're following his orders and working as slaves for a reason.

The story presents it more along the lines of "OMG, he saved us. If we're ever sick again, we'll need him to save us"
Other groups have been doing fine until now. In fact, that group has never been sick before that incident, so we can assume that he caused it. It's unlikely they'll get sick again, as the fruit and much of the food is "delicious" and almost made for people to eat.
As long as everyone doesn't eat the same food, they should be safe. If something's poison(which is unlikely, as that's only happened once in the whole series), only a few would be affected.

Seriously, they should've just killed the guy. They're being led around like sheep.

2z50p6t.png

Senjosama

Senjosama

Fingerling Potato

• Contributor
  • 74 posts
  • LocationAustralia

The story presents it more along the lines of "OMG, he saved us. If we're ever sick again, we'll need him to save us"
Other groups have been doing fine until now. In fact, that group has never been sick before that incident, so we can assume that he caused it. It's unlikely they'll get sick again, as the fruit and much of the food is "delicious" and almost made for people to eat.
As long as everyone doesn't eat the same food, they should be safe. If something's poison(which is unlikely, as that's only happened once in the whole series), only a few would be affected.

Seriously, they should've just killed the guy. They're being led around like sheep.

A doctor is probably the most valuable person on the entire island... I'd rather be led like a sheep and alive than get a disease and die like Miss Kurusu.

Also you're wrong. The Real Miina has memory loss, the Fake Miina's vision is stuffing up, Arita's brain is injured, Oomori's wound is infected or something alone those lines, Kurusu is sick and if Nishigori was there at the time of the red-eyes and ticks attacks, he could've understood the symptoms more easily.

Also it was stated that he was helping out by informing others of strange illnesses that they had as they were traveling to the pyramid. Rather than curing the disease and leaving no traces of it, I don't think that's the case. The Wikia article of him summarizes it pretty well:

He's a specialized doctor and unlike one would expect, he is a horrific person who makes people work for him in return of letting them live.

Edited by WilliamP, 16 December 2011 - 03:34 AM.

Thunder Wolf

Thunder Wolf

Fried Potato

• Retired Mods
  • 656 posts
  • LocationDiscord
A doctor isn't perfect. In fact, it's strange he knew anything about the sicknesses on this island. Considering there are so many animals and plants unknown to our current world, it's unlikely he'd know anything about sicknesses there.
Also, unless he has a large amount of medical equipment, he wouldn't be able to treat most major illnesses.
So the only way he'd be able to realistically treat any illnesses on the island is if he already knew what they were, because he has a knowledge of the island, which would be some twist.

But then again, this is a manga which likes to ignore medical facts and biology of prehistoric animals and explain it away with clever plot twists.

However, you'd probably be in a better situation without the doctor leading. You might have a few people here or there that are sick, but you'd have over all better living condition. A boost in morale is vital to survival. It's scientifically proven that the higher your morale, the less likely you are to get sick, and the faster and more likely you are to heal from injury and sickness. If the plane is a dead end, then they have a much higher chance of dieing if they follow the doctor. He doesn't seem to be that good a leader, and despite his medical knowledge, he can't fix someone if they're torn apart by a prehistoric beast.

That's unless we have some more information found out about him that proves otherwise.

Following like a sheep is what side characters and lackeys do. I'd rather die from sickness, than live under such scum. If I were in that camp, I would have pledged loyalty, then immediately killed the doctor after I was cured.

2z50p6t.png

ValorantX

ValorantX

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,601 posts

However, you'd probably be in a better situation without the doctor leading. If the plane is a dead end, then they have a much higher chance of dieing if they follow the doctor. He doesn't seem to be that good a leader, and despite his medical knowledge, he can't fix someone if they're torn apart by a prehistoric beast.

Of course we judge that from an audience's point of view but the case is very different for a group of people who have their survival hanging on the tip of a cliff. Though you have yet to give an argument why they'd be better off without a doctor.

You might have a few people here or there that are sick, but you'd have over all better living condition.

Can you explain what they mean by this? Usually in these kinds of emergency operations, having a doctor makes a huge different to a group. Whether he makes a good leader is one point, and the fact that a doctor is usually a huge plus is another.

Following like a sheep is what side characters and lackeys do. I'd rather die from sickness, than live under such scum. If I were in that camp, I would have pledged loyalty, then immediately killed the doctor after I was cured.

As I said, you might have that sentiment but I really doubt that you'll take that risk when you experience that kind of environment yourself. People are pretty desperate when it comes to their desire to live and throw off things like pride.

But then again, this is a manga which likes to ignore medical facts and biology of prehistoric animals and explain it away with clever plot twists.

I'm sure the manga doesn't always go into it deeply case by case but can you give me an example of a case where it was downright ignored? (where clever plot twists were definetly used to avoid biological facts) The manga did explain things here and there.

A boost in morale is vital to survival. It's scientifically proven that the higher your morale, the less likely you are to get sick, and the faster and more likely you are to heal from injury and sickness.

That's a pretty low understanding of the placebo effect..... The issue with how we deal with our perception of our conditions is vital to our health and that's how Chinese medicine sometimes have applications but you're not going to heal any faster from a fatal disease as a result of optimism. Either way, it is definitely not a substitute for a doctor or medication.

acolyte

acolyte

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 29 posts
Please please let the doctor die before Akira meet him >.< I can see a 20-30 chapter arc coming that I'd rage on >.>

Soran Lioncore

Soran Lioncore

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • LocationAt the Wall
rather than kill that doctor, they should just caged him and use him to treat the sicks when needed. well, if he purposely killed the patient for enjoyment they will need to teach him who the boss

In case you feel offended by me, please forgive me. I just have a bad sense of humor. Heh...

ValorantX

ValorantX

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,601 posts

rather than kill that doctor, they should just caged him and use him to treat the sicks when needed. well, if he purposely killed the patient for enjoyment they will need to teach him who the boss

Then you're just using the same method of dictatorship the doctor is using. Considering other factors other than morality, you're just ignoring any form of cooperation that's vital for a group's survival. Isn't that one of the series' prime lessons? Either way, the group was in a critical condition and was under doctor's mercy rather than other way around. Anyways, what are you going to cage him with.....

Edited by Saphsin, 21 December 2011 - 04:18 AM.

soranokira

soranokira

Fried Potato

• Contributor
  • 687 posts
31 floors of prehistoric animal breeding.3rd floor for the birdies that attacked the camp along with the kangaroos and tigers. We shall ascend and be gods of the world with these animals! (Pyramid)
anyway really william, there's the QA board for a reason.

edit:

Just a heads up to the people editing the chapter titles, leave them as they are please.

Yes, "Chapter 104 A Mysterious Lady: A Key" is what is shown, but the chapter title is only "A Mysterious Lady". The "A Key" is a sub-heading for what happens in the chapter. This is evident in both the volume cover where it SHOWS the chapter titles (don't know how people miss this) and the Japanese version where it's usually something like Chap. 21 for example.

Chapter 21. Child of God: Child of God (in Japanese).

The words after the brackets aren't apart of the official title, so it is ONLY "A Soliloquy" as its title, with the Murmer in the Deep part being a sub heading. Same with it only being "Excavation" and "Extermination". It would be appreciated if someone is able to change this, since most other online readers seem to have the lack of ability or "need" to do so.

^ Whatever you were asking people to change, should be mentioned in the QA board. I have no idea what you were requesting to be changed so if there's anything that needs to be changed, throw it at the QA board~

Edited by soranokira, 27 December 2011 - 07:22 AM.

Posted Image
Favorite Manga: Record of Fallen Vampire, Hayate the Combat Butler, Kekkaishi
Main reason: Akabara Strauss and plot/story flow, Tennousu Athena arc/Katsura Hinagiku, Kidoin Nura and story flow

Senjosama

Senjosama

Fingerling Potato

• Contributor
  • 74 posts
  • LocationAustralia
It wasn't a question, it was a general statement, since someone altered the title to add in a sub-title which wasn't apart of the actual title which unfortunately can only really be seen through the volume cover + raws. It's not happening anymore, so I don't think I should put it in the Q&A section. It's only relevant to CoE, too.

As the main scanlator of the series, I was just giving a heads up to people. I don't think you understood my post at all... :l

Anyway, new chapters. :D

Edited by WilliamP, 27 December 2011 - 08:36 AM.

Thunder Wolf

Thunder Wolf

Fried Potato

• Retired Mods
  • 656 posts
  • LocationDiscord
Saphsin, I'll address everything you asked right now. I'm a little sleepy, (it's 4AM at the time of starting this message. I've been awake all night) but I'll try to give the best explanation I can.

I haven't said why they'd be better off without a doctor. I've only said why they don't need that doctor. That's a very different thing. Either way, they really don't need a doctor. If anything, a doctor would only be helpful to have, but not life or death requirement like water, food or air. Even if a few die, they'd most likely survive as a group. People groups have survived without any real medical treatment before, so why not now?

You doubt that I'd do that in a similar situation? You don't even know me. I've personally been in a hostage situation. I was in a different room and had a chance to escape and let the person commit a murder-suicide. Instead, I chose to put my life in danger to save others lives and talk the person down. Maybe you'd shy away and do anything to survive in a life or death situation, but I'm not that sort of person. I care more about doing what I believe in and helping others than saving my own skin. But then again, that's because I have something called courage.

Regarding how the manga ignores real medical facts and biology, do you remember when they showed Miina's sketchbook having information not in the computer database? That alone is a downright plot twist so the mangaka can throw out fake facts or behavioral patterns of animals without having to own up to making a mistake. There are a few more instances, but I'm not going to re-read the entire series atm just to find a few instances here or there. I have better things to do with my time.

It's funny that you said,

That's a pretty low understanding of the placebo effect..... The issue with how we deal with our perception of our conditions is vital to our health and that's how Chinese medicine sometimes have applications but you're not going to heal any faster from a fatal disease as a result of optimism. Either way, it is definitely not a substitute for a doctor or medication.

Because there have been cases where the placebo effect has caused cancer to go into remission. Some have even experienced withdrawal symptoms after going off placebos.

On a side note, seems the priest has the same theory as I do regarding the sickness and how it was probably planned.

Also, it seems rather silly that a huge group can't overthrow a single individual. And the whole accomplice mentality is pretty silly as well. But then again, there's that whole "herbivorous men" trend in Japan. It's still a little frustrating how there are barely any courageous characters.

I hope Yarai tricks/forces the doctor into treating Kurusu-sensei, then proceeds to kill or maim the doctor.

2z50p6t.png

Zaraf

Zaraf

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 7 posts
What I'm worried about is that the doctor will somehow get his hands on the hard drive before Yarai is able to find out what is on it. Making Yarai do what he wants by threatening not to help the teacher chick. She is Yarai's only real weakness, after all. And it's not like Yarai can really threaten the doctor either. The doctor has to be willing to help otherwise, the doctor could make things worse, or pretend he doesn't know what is ailing the teacher, etc.

Also, how the hell did that yakuza dude end up near Yarai after leaving Akira's group so quickly (2 days)? Didn't it take them like 5 days to reach the pyramid from the obelisk? And wouldn't you expect the yakuza guy to be heading back to the obelisk to meet up with his friend?