Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Is Kubera your favorite Manhwa / Manga

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Poll: Is Kubera your Favorite Manhwa / Manga (56 member(s) have cast votes)

Is Kubera Your Favorite

1. Is Kubera Your Favorite No (8 votes [14.04%])

Percentage of vote: 14.04%

2. Is Kubera Your Favorite Yes (49 votes [85.96%])

Percentage of vote: 85.96%

Vote Guests cannot vote

battradio

battradio

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 957 posts
  • LocationNear ST. Louis MO USA

Kubera has been my favorite for over 3 1/2 years now , others  manga have came and gone , some have come to a finishing point but the one i wait for every week is Currygoms kubera .

Edited by battradio, 27 June 2015 - 01:58 AM.

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts
For me it is. I won't claim it's the best or anything, but the story, characters and worldbuilding is the one that has me most immersed in it. I occasionally find other manga that I really really like, but they'd never reach that level where I want to obsessively analyze every little thing.

I used to feel this way with Naruto, but it turned out that me (and a big chunk of the rest of the fandom) vastly overrated Kishimoto's writing skills. Kishi disappointed. But Currygom surpasses my expectations. She can hide the answer out in plain sight and still an entire fandom could not find it, she writes a story that is both character-driven and plot-driven (because the chracters are the plot) but manages to go exactly where she wants without forcing the chracters into OOC moments (quite the contrary, it is their very personalities thay lead exactly to those outcomes), and she has a worldbuilding which, while far from being the most detailed, has very original dynamics and cleverly institutionalizes concepts that are usually used as haxx devices in other series (immortality, clairvoyance etc).

Kubera is something of a niche series for someone who likes to obsessively nitpick everything and enjoy her particular brand of flawed characters and drama, but that niche is perfect for me.

Edited by Mizura, 27 June 2015 - 02:07 AM.

3492bk6.jpg

Kubera stuff: Character charts , Races and Cities , The finite (official side novel) ,
Official English Webtoons: https://www.webtoons.com

Kitty1826x

Kitty1826x

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 412 posts
  • LocationNot Always Sunny Florida

My simple answer is No. 

My more complex answer is - 

No, because it's still ongoing. As much as I would hate it, Kubera COULD have a terrible ending that would ruin the whole entire series for me. I would end up feeling that it was a complete waste of my time, and I would curse Currygom for the rest of my life ... or for a few years, heh. 

I highly doubt that there would be a terrible ending, as those tend to be the ones that are rushed and/or forced. Since Currygom has this all planned out, and just filling in the tiny fillers here and there, I'll probably get a enough ending ... 

Would it be one that I like, I'm not sure ... but even if it wasn't one that I didn't like I would still probably give it a high rating. 

Kubera is the manhwa I am currently obsessed with I love Mondays because of Kubera. (Well that's not the only reason, but it's the cherry on top). I talk about Kubera a lot to other people, and always trying to get them to read it.

I generally don't read ongoing series, because I hate waiting, or I get bored and tired of it so I would temporarily drop it until it's done. Although I have temporarily dropped Kubera once ... (It was around the frozen tears arc) I did pick it back up again, and I don't have any thoughts of temporarily dropping it again ... hopefully ... 

This will probably be one of top favorites depending on the ending, but I'm unsure if it would be my absolute favorite.

Yes yes, I know I make longwinded comments, but that's just me >.<
I should proof read my comments more, but I won't...
So keep in mind I'm filled with typos

Link to Kubera's quick translation pads list: http://babokim-scans.ddns.net:9001/p/r.74c75762216421fe02843be5edd86cf0

If you have the time and want to help out BKS: http://babokim-scans.ddns.net:9001/mypads/index.html?/mypads/group/transcribing-and-rewriting-kubera-r912325e/view
Read the first pad "Getting started" for instructions.

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts

^ That reminds me of something else: Kubera is my favorite series to read weekly. For most other series, I'd probably be happier to read them in one go, but Kubera is worth reading back in the meantime to come up with all sorts of theories, and then you get to compare them to what gets revealed later on.

Not everybody agrees of course. :P

3492bk6.jpg

Kubera stuff: Character charts , Races and Cities , The finite (official side novel) ,

salvatore

salvatore

Mashed Potato

• Members
  • 6,875 posts
  • LocationEarth

Nope! i think, it's the 2nd though, behind Tower of God.

BehindTheLighT

BehindTheLighT

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,847 posts
  • LocationItaly

It is, with tog as second.

I'm italian, so please excuse me if my english is not very good, feel free to correct me.

Kubera ITA

Nualie

Nualie

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,057 posts
  • LocationSomewhere I can daydream in peace, hopefully.

It's my favorite series... But to be honest I don't know why exactly. The community is a big part of it  though.

In any case, it's the first that I haven't become bored of in a whole year. 

Some stuff I made: All's here!

My profile on fanfiction.net is here.

Check Kubera out if you don't know it!

Because it's fun to see Leez dying inside and outside all over the place it's a story of romance, psychology and humor. And horror. A little. 

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts

It's a pity that there isn't an option for "It's one of my favourites."

3492bk6.jpg

battradio

battradio

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 957 posts
  • LocationNear ST. Louis MO USA

It was made to see what percentage , of our little family   of friends here found Kubera to be their  very favorite . It took me 3 days to get this poll posted , two power failures happened just as it was to  posted .

At different times Inuyosha and Bleach have been my favorites , Bleach's content has kind of faded from my interest , i have never really got into TOG , i liked Ability till it went on hiatus and never came back , i read Girls of the wilds but not a favorite .

Yamada-kun and the seven witches  is number two or three , UQ holder is up there over at Crunchy Roll 

Edited by battradio, 27 June 2015 - 01:12 PM.

Chi-chan

Chi-chan

Potato

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationNear your closet, open that door.
It's my most favorite, this is the first story that has a complex plot which I stick to until the latest chapter is released. Kubera isn't really my cup of tea, I would like stories to be simple, a little dramatic, but overall cute, but this one.. it opened my eyes to see and think out of the box, it was seriously confusing, but it's the romance that made me stick to this(yeah, I'm a sucker for romance.), I focused on the romance first, until I saw this community and starts to understand the story more. I've love this story for over a year now, and I keep telling my friends and random people to read this, it comes to the point where I keep squealing over Yuta a hundred times and my friends misunderstood me for having a relationship, a hardcore fangirl? That's just who I am, and I'm kinda proud of it XD(although I admit I should lessen this inner fangirl of mine, because sometimes it's ruining my sanity lol)
I've never read ToG yet, i kinda dropped it around chapter 6 because it was quite confusing that Baam was already fighting with a creature in the first chapters without him knowing the reason why he should fight it, but I know that it has an awesome storyline maybe it's just not my time to read it now. But overall, Kubera is my top list for all that 2k mangas I've read, and I kinda agree with Kitty that my love for Kubera might change depending on the finale of the story, but I hope currygom can pull it off :)

CLICK ME! Profile

Tierra

Tierra

Baked Potato

• The Company
  • 1,912 posts
  • LocationGermany
Yes, favorite.

No matter how the story ends.

~*~ Kubera ~*~ Kubera Wiki ~*~ Kubera Fanart ~*~ Kubera TL(En)~*~

~*~ Smile today, tomorrow could be worse. ~*~

Sangios

Sangios

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationHarusame's 7th Division

Right now? Definitely yes. If it wasn't, I wouldn't only be using Kubera panels for my avvys. :P Also, Mondays used to be the worst day of the week, and now they're the days I look forward to.

ToG and Kubera should be equal for me, and that might be the case again if SIU can keep his stuff together like he has it right now.

Best pairing:

Spoiler

Pandorally

Pandorally

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 208 posts
  • LocationMoved to Paris!

As of now, yes Kubera is definately my favorite. The mastery is in the details. The little foreshadowings. The angst. The Romance. 

And I just love how it's not cliché. 

For example: 

In normal Manga/Manwha/etc.

Leez would be the kind and pure hearted girl who will bring light to other characters. Like Orihime, Tohru,  

Asha would change to the good side after some heart warming moments after the main cast confronted her with her dark/tragic past.

Yuta will stop eating her face with the power of love.

Leez will discover God Kubera's betrayal and still forgive him. 

Sagara will play the typical anti-hero/jealous bitch who will eventually die or change side.

Maruna will be the Aloof Big Bro who would realize his wrongs and dedicate the rest of his life saving humans.

Shakuntala is still alive. Gandharva is happy.

In Kubera:

Shakuntala is dead. 

Asha is a serial killer.

Yuta can not control his instincts.

Maruna is still a dick to humans.

Sagara is not a hypocrite.

Leez is not stupid nor forgiving.

A lot of time there are circumstances in  stories created out of convinience. Like, the hero have missing/dissapeared/gone parents so he/she is free to go on an adventure (Harry Potter/Pokemon/Inu Yasha etc.), Main character miss school 'cause they have to fight Big Bad . Major people meet in random place because destiny said so.

While in Kubera, circumstances or fated meeting is actually planned by chessmasters and plot relevant. Knowledge/school/textbooks are actually important. Big Bad actually have a point. Can you actually blame Maruna for comparing humans as ants when he is basically immortal and super-powerful. Have we actually considered the feelings of the ant we squished? Yuta ate Jatayu. He can not control his hunger. Can you blame him for feeding? Can you blame Samphati for hating him? Asha might be a genius, but she's only 20 for God sake. What can a little girl do against God and Suras? Rather than be weak and dead, she'd rather make a difference by staying alive and have her revenge even though innocent people might die. And how much does 100 lives weights when there are millions and billions of lives at stake? Saha can easily play the dictator role. But he also have a point. Killing people for the sake of power is not a morally correct action, no matter what the reasons behind such acts. Kings who sacrifice his people for ideals (Religion/Justice/Love) are not not thinking about the well-being of its people.

Anyhoo, I think the whole point of Kubera is that it teaches the actual reasons behind a war. Good people with good reasons fight against good people with good reasons. Instead of the cliched Good vs Evil. 

dondara

dondara

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 532 posts

My current favorites are:

1- One Piece

2- Kubera

3- Tokyo Ghoul Series

4- TOG

One Piece because it's the first anime/manga I started and I'll probably always think it's the best. Plenty of arguments in favor of it being #1 without being biased.

Kubera took a while before I finally considered it superior to TOG (in my list). It's easily #1 if it wasn't for probably OP.

TG is simply spectacular. The amount of work, parallels, foreshadowing that the author places into his production is just as amazing as Oda and Currygom.

TOG was the first manhwa I read and S1 was a mindfuck. It's world-building is amazing and I definitely got immersed into its production. If it weren't for SIU dropping the ball a bit with the direction he took during S2, it would probably be above Kubera.

* I probably won't say for sure which I like better until both Kubera and TOG are finished. TOG possibly has more potential IMO, but Kubera has been consistently amazing with its delivery and until now I have yet to read a manhwa/manga with the same qualities as Kubera. It's simply unparalleled in its category (genre,etc). This probably has to due with the fact that Currygom prepared it as a novel beforehand. When you compare two writers like Curry and SIU... SIU improvises: sometimes writes top tier material, other times he fails. While Curry is practically always top tier.

5- Possibly The Breaker Series?

*** Note: I've probably read Kubera from start to finish ~5-7+ times? (except for recent chapters), TOG ~5+ (except for recent chapters), Tokyo Ghoul ~4+ times Tokyo Ghoul RE 2. The Breaker 2-4 times.

One thing I just remembered. I love seeing both sides of the conflict. In Kubera we see that the "enemies" of the protagonist (Leez) are protagonists themselves. Therefore, we see all the angles and how they combine into a very interesting conflict. This reminds me that TG is another one of my favorites that incorporates this concept. Its has become more than tiring and cliched the concept of 'evil' and fighting the 'bad guys'. These two discard this and it's much more interesting to be vague about who's right or wrong.

OneLastSpock

OneLastSpock

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • LocationWhere no man has gone before

Kubera all the way. One of my friends pulled my into the world of Manga/Manhwa about two, two and a half years ago now, I think. He first had me read ToG, and I loved the first season. He then told me that if I liked it, I would love Kubera. So I started it. I liked both stories; both read with a hint of mystery, plots and chessmasters-in-hiding galore, a main character developing while everyone around them was fully/mostly formed. Hints of a dark past, promises of a dark present and darker future, with clues to allow you to try to piece it all together. I caught all the way up on both stories, and then started searching around for more, while eagerly awaiting the newest chapter of both ToG and Kubera. But none of the others held my attention quite like them; maybe it was the characters not being as realistic to me, or that the plot seemed to obvious/cliche, or something else, but none of them beat out Kubera and ToG as my favorites. Maybe those two were special just because they "were my firsts".

But then something changed with ToG, gradual at first. I only noticed it later, but ToG's second season largely failed to deliver on its promise of meaningful darkness, of plots and wondering who the true villain was, which was the right path. It became much more cliche, and many of the "clues" SIU had given us seemed to be left by the wayside. (In spoiler because I talk about ToG S2, in case someone hasn't read it).

Spoiler

Meanwhile, the one character I hated in Kubera, Sagara (not so much anymore), became more and more human to me, and the plots kept getting thicker; one set of clues would come together, only to reveal more mysteries and clues that I had missed earlier. I found myself looking more and more forward to reading Kubera each week, and have let ToG slide by the wayside, to catch up for some closure every two months or so. I have come to realize that one of my favorite parts of Kubera is summed up in the Season 2 prologue: "This is a war with no villains, only victims... And a story where someone, in the end, will have to cry."

Maybe I'm just rambling at this point (Who's really interested in my personal story anyway?), but Kubera has yet to disappoint me in either its mystery, characters, or plot. Here's hoping it continues that way.

ironmonk

ironmonk

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 374 posts

Kubera is currently my favorite. I kind of dropped ToG at the beginning of the whole train arc. Why did I do that? I don't know. What I really like about Kubera is there isn't really any good or evil. I also really like the primeval gods (or at least Brahma's) view of things. They created the sura, gods, and humans. So why should they act in favor of one over the others. Like Brahma's barrier system. It doesn't outright favor humans, but it gives them a fighting chance with out it being an absolute defense against sura.

flowsthead

flowsthead

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,032 posts

Probably favorite manhwa at the moment. It used to be TOG, but the second season has been a disappointment. The other good manhwa are either fun but somewhat simple (The God of High School, Black Haze) or just too short yet to say for certain (DIce, Witch Hunt).

But manga? Absolutely not. Kubera is really great for what it is, but I've never really fallen in love with it the way I have with say Beck or Solanin or Honey and Clover. It's an interesting character piece, well plotted and decently cerebral, but emotionally I often find it somewhat lacking. Maybe with more time or reading the whole thing from the beginning, it might reach a stage where I can be gutted by certain scenes. But so far it hasn't happened.

The face of the angel of history is turned toward the past. Where we perceived a chain of events, he sees a single catastrophe which keeps piling wreckage and hurls it in front of his feet. The angel would like to stay, awaken the dead, and make whole what has been smashed. But a storm is blowing from Paradise; it has got caught in his wings with such violence that the angel can no longer close them. This storm irresistably propels him into the future to which his back is turned, while the pile of debris before him grows skyward. The storm is what we call progress.
~Walter Benjamin

themantarays

themantarays

~A Majestic Ray of Light in the Dark of the Internet~ ☼_☼

• Comic Mods
  • 1,933 posts

My top 3:

1) Tokyo Ghoul series

2) Kubera

3) Tower of God

I'm surprised more people here don't like Tokyo Ghoul. It's been my new favorite for a number of months now. But only by a slim margin over Kubera.

Tower of God, I'm still willing to put it up there with those two if SIU continues his little revival streak, but at some point it lost that sense of arcing cohesiveness and epicness that made it great.

For the longest time, I put Black Lagoon up there with Kubera and ToG as the ones which constantly cycled between my favorites, but wow it's been so long since I've read a new chapter. >.<

If anyone wants to talk further about Kubera vs other comics, you can always revive this thread: https://vatoto.com/forums/topic/15392-how-kubera-compares-to-other-comics/

LovelyLuvLuv

LovelyLuvLuv

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 363 posts

I'd say my top 3 ongoing series are :

Noragami, Berserk, Kubera

In no particular order.  Also have a collection of other random things i like/think are promising but haven't solidified yet. Used to like tower of god but got tired of waiting for ha yuri to show up (best girl).

smtmissin

smtmissin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 821 posts

My passion for anime/manga has diminished over the years. The only current series I like enough to follow *faithfully* that are released often enough: Kubera, Black Haze, Tenkuu Shinpan

The only current series that I like but are not released often enough (or not being scanlated at all): Hyakkiyakou Shou (my favorite), Natsume Yuujinchou (maybe).

I like Kubera (a lot) but I don't know if "favorite" is the word though. Sometimes the new chapters bore me.

Edited by smtmissin, 02 July 2015 - 01:21 PM.