Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

HY so-called-art

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Tertiusviducius

Tertiusviducius

Potato

• Members
  • 186 posts
  • LocationMystical Booger Forest
You already have a solid foundation, you are now building on it further with practice. If you did not have a foundation and a solid one at that your drawings would be a lot more inconsistent and crude. Don't put yourself down so much.

3VYyD4im.jpg?1

xSadibs.png

hananoyuuki

hananoyuuki

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Locationmy own world

You already have a solid foundation, you are now building on it further with practice. If you did not have a foundation and a solid one at that your drawings would be a lot more inconsistent and crude. Don't put yourself down so much.

Uuuu Really? I still think I need a long way to go >< I can barely draw clothes. I need references for them........i can only draw faces too....................... But thank you^^

5178f95cf4.jpg

Tertiusviducius

Tertiusviducius

Potato

• Members
  • 186 posts
  • LocationMystical Booger Forest
You do realize that even the revered masters of art from the early days of history all the way to today used references frequently. Well the majority of them anyway as there are the few truly talented ones that really don't need them thanks to their photographic minds and that is not really something you can gain through practice as one is sort of born with it. Referencing does not necessarily mean copying as it is merely used as guide in the attempt to form something new. Its quite different from a direct copy.

3VYyD4im.jpg?1

xSadibs.png

hananoyuuki

hananoyuuki

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Locationmy own world

You do realize that even the revered masters of art from the early days of history all the way to today used references frequently. Well the majority of them anyway as there are the few truly talented ones that really don't need them thanks to their photographic minds and that is not really something you can gain through practice as one is sort of born with it. Referencing does not necessarily mean copying as it is merely used as guide in the attempt to form something new. Its quite different from a direct copy.

Oh wow, really? Im so scared to use references cause along referencing I DO copy some parts(many actually) but with some adjustments, make it original so it wont be like copying. Im scared people will accuse me of tracing and copying when I use them. On another note, Im too lazy to find references anyway :P

5178f95cf4.jpg

TheScanlationArmy

TheScanlationArmy

Potato Spud

• The Scanlation Army
  • 13 posts

P.S: I started digital drawings a year ago so if anyone can give me tips it will be really helpful. 

I hope you're serious about asking for help, cause I'm going to give you everything you need to learn to draw better, and yes take note I said "learn" cause no one can teach you to draw, it's not like math, you don't learn it based on theory alone, drawing is an acquired skill which can only be improved through proper study & implementation. It seems to me that you've been a "doodler" most of your artistic life, you've never given much thought as to what makes a drawing believable or how to go about achieving something like that, and the sad thing is most other artist or art books don't tell you this either!! because in most traditional art schools you are taught to learn by repetition, this takes years though, but don't fret, there is a structured way to learn, and for that I leave you with the words of the great Glenn Vilppu: "If you can draw a box, sphere & cylinder in perspective you can draw anything"

So first thing's first, you need to learn how to properly convey form in 3D space; boxes, cylinders, spheres

grab yourself a book on perspective or use online tutorials, whatever works for you, but until you can draw these shapes from your mind without needing to draw the guide-lines you shouldn't move on to anything else. Next step is learning to properly shade these shapes & then you move on to doing mannequins, something like the top of this page:

http://th08.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2013/261/0/9/nsio_explains__simplifying_the_complexity_by_nsio-d6mu2na.png

There are many mannequin forms...again, just look around and choose what works for you.

And finally I leave you with yet more wisdom from Glenn Vilppu; "You can't draw what you don't know"

so get rid of that silly notion that you aren't going to use references, it's the quickest way to stunt your artistic growth, because it's impossible for you to know everything or even remember everything that you study. Also using references does not mean copying, you're not trying to create a replica when referencing a pose for example, here are uses of proper pose referencing:

http://pyjama-cake.deviantart.com/art/Drawing-Base-Tutorial-427900017

http://rika-dono.deviantart.com/art/How-I-work-from-a-photo-Reference-513603438

I assume you draw for the same reason all other artists do, because you enjoy it & find it fun, so stop worrying about what other people are gonna think or say, you draw because you like it, unless someone is paying you, you shouldn't care what they think about how you achieved your work.

And there you go, everything you need to learn to be a better artist (Form, Rendering & Knowledge) if you follow the regimen & practice at least 30 mins every day you could greatly improve your art in as little as 6 months and reach a satisfactory level within 18 months or so

PS: please watch these videos. you don't have to sign up for anything but I think it would help you some in understanding the things I'm talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDgyQjNFVQk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWuaQ84kGwI

Edited by TheScanlationArmy, 28 April 2015 - 07:21 AM.