Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

[OOC] Super-Powered

Heroes Villains Comic Books

• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

Seikah

Seikah

Potato

• Donator
  • 167 posts

What is this "trying to avoid making a character that doesn't fit in" nonsense? The beauty of RP'ing, at least to me, is crafting a way to make your character an organic piece of the realm you're in, no matter how out of place they seem to be.

If you truly believe it's nonsense, you've either been blessed to RP in a far more enlightened environment than I, or you misunderstood me. Imagine roleplaying a morally complex wheelchair-bound politician advocating vampire rights in a vampire hunter roleplay where every other player signed up with the sole intent of staking vampires in a progressively cooler fashion. Sure, the character would fit in the universe, as you say, but not with the other characters, as was my point. I trust I needn't make a crude if-I-wanted-to-play-with-myself joke :P.

And sure, someone could hypothetically accommodate the politician character by approaching him for a nice thoughtful conversation, but it would be lame and egocentric to expect of the other writers. That is what my 'nonsense' was about, hope that's sufficiently clarified. Anyway, I'll continue to brainstorm about the kind of character I'd enjoy playing.

(Also metagaming/'knowing things' is technically against board rule #4, though I'm not sure if the rules are enforced. They seem mostly intended to restrict new roleplayers that relentlessly try to 'win'...)

Shmuser Name

Shmuser Name

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • LocationNJ, The States

So you would shy away from the concept of creating a character that was so starkly different from the rest? Well, that's your prerogative, and I can understand your intent to try and fit in with the player niche instead of be a complicated antithesis to the overall theme. I'm sorry if the word "nonsense" came off a bit too strong, I looked over it and I was like,

"Jeez, I hope he doesn't think I'm a dick."

Personally: Information Brokers, like the type I play as, don't meta-game. I've played with Information Broker players who just pissed me off so much because of certain things they do, and I am well-intent on keeping things fair instead of unrealistic or just irritatingly plot-abusive.

Alcruid

Alcruid

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • Locationsomewheeeeere... over the rainbow, way up high ~

Characters who don't have powers are allowed, although I personally fail to see the appeal of them - I'd prefer if every playable character had an ability, but I also love creating NPCs and I endorse the creation of non-playable human beings or super-humans.

You're not the first to think of creating Information Brokers as characters, and let me tell you they can get so annoying if people abuse their ability to "know things". I'll allow it, I mean then there'd be two information brokers in this RP, just a heads up.

I plan on submitting four (five when you think about it) of my own characters as Plot-glue devices, and one of them is an Information Broker. To tie this to my first statement, I have a character who specializes in hacking and knowledge accumulation but also has a small telepathic spec.

Ah like that
Nah, I just thought thuif I'd make an info broker I would discuss with you by pm what she does and doesn't know. Or I'd just make a streetrat who sees a lot of things happening.
Otherwise I could make a Gordon to everyone's batman and joker

Thaeria2.gif

My webcomic (action | fantasy | adventure | mystery) on Batoto (image)

http://vatoto.com/comic/_/sp/thaeria-dancing-with-the-devil-r11374

Hear me sing and help me grow and improve! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGBxlhBeruObuKrVkQaTRtw

Alcruid | Al | Alc | Altan | Alcchan

Spoiler

Shmuser Name

Shmuser Name

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • LocationNJ, The States

If you submit the character app, I'll just take away my own information broker from the RP. What's the use in having two? I'm willing to change the specs of my character to something new anyways. Feel free to submit the application, and if you feel like you want to share things in private go ahead and PM me whatever you wish.

Diabolical Rhapsody

Diabolical Rhapsody

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 642 posts
  • Locationin Oblivion, checking out the tapestry.

Heeeey. Don't write off neutral characters like that, they're a lot more believable than straight-forward heroes and villains. Unquestioning do-gooders feel either naive or outright divorced from reality, and the only characters that would self-identify as villains are one-dimensional caricatures and psychopaths in it for the evulz.

Is this is intended as a standard good versus evil combat story, or is there room for moral complexity?

I wonder if that was pointed at my character ;P

But anyways, I'm in for the evulz

@GM: Please, clear out the level setting for this RP (in manga terms)

Because, I have been warned a few times to depict some corny and edgy things. Plus, a really graphic depiction of gore and violence. I'll like to know the grade you are following to adapt to.

@Seikah: Personally, I'll love to see that politician. ;D

Spoiler

Okay, I have adapted to the storyline. Hope you like it. The first villain is on the scene. 

Alias, Oleander is ready to role.

Edited by RP Fiend, 04 April 2015 - 04:49 PM.

giphy.gif

If you have the time: 

Spoiler

Seikah

Seikah

Potato

• Donator
  • 167 posts

I wonder if that was pointed at my character ;P

But anyways, I'm in for the evulz

@GM: Please, clear out the level setting for this RP (in manga terms)

Because, I have been warned a few times to depict some corny and edgy things. Plus, a really graphic depiction of gore and violence. I'll like to know the grade you are following to adapt to.

@Seikah: Personally, I'll love to see that politician. ;D

Oh yes, I can see it now. It's sunny out, clean pavement, green grass, warm breeze, people smiling. My character, in his wheelchair, kindly talking about the merits of togetherness and compassion, and your character, lovingly pushing him about, like father and daughter on their sunday stroll. And then she gets bored and drives him into traffic, causing the most the most elaborate chain-collision crash in modern history.

I hope you didn't interpret my message as criticism, because that wasn't my intention at all. There is a lot of fun to be had with complete villains. It's just that 'villains' with an objective beyond than their own pleasure would (generally) not view themselves as villains, due to narcissism or megalomania, or just because they consider themselves above good and evil, concepts constructed by a society built on morals and principles they to some degree reject. Frankly, if I judge a complex character by their own standards, I'd always judge them as neutral - they're not in the least occupied with heroism and villainy, they'll just pragmatically do whatever advances their own purpose. Imagine a superpowered environmentalist that outright kills the people responsible for non-sustainable companies and policies. A murderer, to be sure, but he'd be a hero to some, and objectively, he would save more lives in the long run than flyingbrickman (nice guy), who just catches malfunctioning airplanes.

A lot of this has to do with the standards of morality that we're supposed to judge characters by. If this was shounen, with the intent to just set up a couple of cool fights, it would be easy. Murder is bad, blast the baddies with friendship. But if it is, as the GM says, an ambiguous 'synthesis of shounen or seinen', I'm rather lost. If it means a sandbox, the standards depend on the playmates. That's merely where I was coming from. Gotta match frequency on some level or there's no roleplay.

Shmuser Name

Shmuser Name

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • LocationNJ, The States

I hope you didn't interpret my message as criticism, because that wasn't my intention at all. There is a lot of fun to be had with complete villains. It's just that 'villains' with an objective beyond than their own pleasure would (generally) not view themselves as villains, due to narcissism or megalomania, or just because they consider themselves above good and evil, concepts constructed by a society built on morals and principles they to some degree reject. Frankly, if I judge a complex character by their own standards, I'd always judge them as neutral - they're not in the least occupied with heroism and villainy, they'll just pragmatically do whatever advances their own purpose. Imagine a superpowered environmentalist that outright kills the people responsible for non-sustainable companies and policies. A murderer, to be sure, but he'd be a hero to some, and objectively, he would save more lives in the long run than flyingbrickman (nice guy), who just catches malfunctioning airplanes.

A lot of this has to do with the standards of morality that we're supposed to judge characters by. If this was shounen, with the intent to just set up a couple of cool fights, it would be easy. Murder is bad, blast the baddies with friendship. But if it is, as the GM says, an ambiguous 'synthesis of shounen or seinen', I'm rather lost. If it means a sandbox, the standards depend on the playmates. That's merely where I was coming from. Gotta match frequency on some level or there's no roleplay.

That villain, if they were open about their crimes, would still be classified as a Villain. It doesn't matter what the character them self believe they are, their actions speak for them and society judges them as a Hero or Villain.

Someone who's purpose is to commit deeds society would frown upon or behave heroically and protect those who can't protect themselves would not be Neutrals anymore if they continually kept up a specific course of heroic or villainous actions. They may be complex in their morality, more of a gray than a black and white, but their actions to society would define what society classifies them as.

Your environmentalist just committed murder, and a majority of society deems that as an undesirable behavior. They would be a Neutral if they had not committed murder before or done anything to save lives, through the use of their powers. What if they had been known to murder people? They'd be a Villain outright, murder is an evil deed. What if they had not murdered until now, but had also actively saved lives in the past? They would still be considered a Hero, despite the obvious public resentment of their sudden shift from heroic ideals to that of a villainous action.

I really don't understand your confusion. Either commit your character to acting purely of one Alignment and then if you wanted to change it later to more complex and mature moral dilemmas/conflicts (Hero, Villain, Hero-to-Villain, Villain-to-Hero, and everything in between), or create a character who does not align themselves to Heroism or Villainy but instead dips between the two for their personal desires (Neutral).

In the end, it's just something written on a character application sheet than can be revised anytime.

This RP will accept 17+ content as long as it complies with the Forum rules, it's a Seinen piece of work that doesn't need to be exclusively Seinen.

Edited by Shmuser Name, 03 April 2015 - 08:57 PM.

Seikah

Seikah

Potato

• Donator
  • 167 posts

This RP will accept 17+ content as long as it complies with the Forum rules, it's a Seinen piece of work that doesn't need to be exclusively Seinen.

Cool.

I think I've figured out where my confusion, and your lack of it, stems from. Conviction? I’ll address this once more and then let it rest.

Spoiler

Tl;dr spoiler: you judge by values that are obvious and good to you, but not necessarily to others, or at least not me. Also working for the government is making me a jaded contrarian git…

Edited by Seikah, 04 April 2015 - 08:35 AM.

Diabolical Rhapsody

Diabolical Rhapsody

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 642 posts

Cool.

I think I've figured out where my confusion, and your lack of it, stems from. Conviction? I’ll address this once more and then let it rest.

Spoiler

Tl;dr spoiler: you judge by values that are obvious and good to you, but not necessarily to others, or at least not me. Also working for the government is making me a jaded contrarian git…

Really Cool!! I think I have found another Government working git. =D 

I'm one too. Also, reading the full bit, I think I should add my sub-plot in the CS to remember what I have planned for my character.

Also, my two cents to this whole argument is sort of pro-Seikah.

As, Harvey Dent said, " You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain" =D which somewhat points to the fact that majority is easily misguided. 

@Seikah: No worries, I pretty open minded to criticism as well. There is always something to be learned from different opinions. You'll see (considering this RP starts) that she isn't the typical villain. She is strange and fun. At least to me she is. She is first of all neutral and then she is evil. That's what I'm planning to write. Sort of like metal grey in the color spectrum.

Edited by RP Fiend, 04 April 2015 - 03:39 PM.

giphy.gif

If you have the time: 

Spoiler

Shmuser Name

Shmuser Name

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • LocationNJ, The States

1. The concept of public fear of super-powered individuals can be explored and molded in the RP itself once it has started. It starts off from a neutral perspective, with pockets of people having more of a left or right perspective, and as the RP goes on a new "public opinion" element can be mixed with the storyline to create dramatic tension in an entire other branch of the plot.

2. My aim with the "God Rapture" event (see what I did there?) was to literally revert everything to zero. All conflict, discrimination, almost any public vice and societal flaw would have been erased to start anew after reconstruction. I would have been the one handling the The Tower (police division dedicated to super-human related conflicts), so to acknowledge your specific points on the mechanics and political method of The Tower now would be giving away things too early.

3. This RP takes place in the United States of America. When deciding upon morals and ethics, it only simplifies things to think of how a society very similar to the one we have today in the USA (I did specify that not much has changed in the world aside from global conflict coming to a tense respite after the Rapture) would perceive things. You have no idea what principles, standards, morals, and values are present in the world? Well seeing how those in America was extremely similar to mostly all other nations, and seeing how America is the setting of this RP, I think you do know more than you seem to let on.

Legalized murder is only sanctioned by the authority of a country when the safety of the country's citizens is at risk of coming to harm. A soldier is defending his country and therefore becoming a hero to the public due to their selfless attitude and duty to the people. The public knows that they do not have the capacity to defend themselves as much as the military can against people who are out to kill them or subjugate them. Homicide in a non-military society is viewed as evil by a majority of people because the victim was a person who usually did not have a chance to defend themselves or were too outmatched, and also had little to no intention of harming the other person(s) involved beforehand.

So no. Murder is not socially acceptable. War, which has elements of murder to it, is socially acceptable.

You may not perceive any set of morals being unquestionably good, but for the sake of the RP and by using logical inferences about modern society, you can paint yourself an accurate portrayal of what is, at least on the outside, good and heroic versus what is bad and villainous. You're only complicating things when you approach the technical aspects of concepts like law and murder, and those can be developed in the RP itself if the time comes to it. In this RP, those concepts are what society is most fond of, and seeing how society's standards are extremely similar to the one you and I both live in, you now know what is (to the outside looking in) acceptable and heroic and what is unacceptable and villainous.

Diabolical Rhapsody

Diabolical Rhapsody

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 642 posts

Finally satisfied, for your consideration

Spoiler

Edited by RP Fiend, 04 April 2015 - 05:01 PM.

giphy.gif

If you have the time: 

Spoiler

Fatal Blood

Fatal Blood

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 56 posts
  • LocationTamriel

I may take longer to finish my CS then I had thought, because my computer is on the fritz.

If it ain`t broke... go back and rob it again.

Shmuser Name

Shmuser Name

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • LocationNJ, The States

@RP Fiend

Does Oleander need to have a physical connection to the metal to control it? Or can she telekinetically utilize or manipulate it? Also, what is the largest quantity of metal she can control, and does she have a weight limit to controlling large amounts of metal or just heavy metal itself?

Diabolical Rhapsody

Diabolical Rhapsody

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 642 posts

@RP Fiend

Does Oleander need to have a physical connection to the metal to control it? Or can she telekinetically utilize or manipulate it? Also, what is the largest quantity of metal she can control, and does she have a weight limit to controlling large amounts of metal or just heavy metal itself?

I wanted to keep it abstract so as to guard against meta-gaming, but since you assured me that you'll be personally handling that stuff. I'll elaborate.

She can telekinetically control metal, much like Magneto. Largest quantity of metal would be a around 2200 or so kgs. So no ripping up Eiffel tower and such bullshit. But still in superhuman territory. As for weight limit, it all depends on the situation. Supposedly, some character like Superman throws an iron beam at his full strength, she will only be able to deflect it and not control it. Similarily a large SUV is bundling towards her at 100 mph, she'll just be able to control enough to get out of its trajectory but both of these actions would need active evasion maneuvers from her side. Also, she'd have hard time lifting tanks and other heavy vehicles unless she is able to concentrate and dismantle them to a level that falls within her ability's limit.

I hope it is not outrageous. I am aiming for Magneto around Ultimate X-men verse.

giphy.gif

If you have the time: 

Spoiler

Shmuser Name

Shmuser Name

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • LocationNJ, The States

How fast can she disassemble things made of metal, from small items to large objects?

Edited by Shmuser Name, 07 April 2015 - 08:47 PM.

Tres

Tres

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 7 posts

Any tentative date for the start of this RP?

tumblr_n2zgauSRUy1trxys9o2_500.gif

Diabolical Rhapsody

Diabolical Rhapsody

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 642 posts

How fast can she disassemble things mad of metal, from small items to large objects?

It depends on the thing. Like a tank would take her about 15 mins because she has worked alongside Armored division and knows her way her around a tank. A car on other hand may take her five ten minutes more. Other things depend on the working parts and stuff. She can always rip out bolts and sheets of metal. No need for a clean disassemble.

giphy.gif

If you have the time: 

Spoiler

Shmuser Name

Shmuser Name

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • LocationNJ, The States

Any tentative date for the start of this RP?

Um, when there are more than a couple people who have had their character applications accepted.

@RP Fiend

Is it correct to assume that Oleander can disassemble large objects like tanks one at a time? As for smaller objects, is it correct to assume she can manipulate large numbers of them quickly?

Example, she wouldn't be able to just KO an entire flock of helicopters in a matter of moments but she would be able to disassemble almost every firearm a small military unit possesses extremely fast and more than one at a time.

Edited by Shmuser Name, 07 April 2015 - 08:53 PM.

Diabolical Rhapsody

Diabolical Rhapsody

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 642 posts

Um, when there are more than a couple people who have had their character applications accepted.

@RP Fiend

Is it correct to assume that Oleander can disassemble large objects like tanks one at a time? As for smaller objects, is it correct to assume she can manipulate large numbers of them quickly?

Example, she wouldn't be able to just KO an entire flock of helicopters in a matter of moments but she would be able to disassemble almost every firearm a small military unit possesses extremely fast and more than one at a time.

That would be correct. But that will require extreme focus. So for keeping it believable(I wonder how super-powers can be believable, but I'll try) Let's say it is around 4-5 firearms and 1 chopper. But disassembling 1 chopper would take roughly half an hour. 'Cause believe me or not, Chopper has more moving parts than a tank. =)

Unless, of course she's just aiming for bringing it down. Then all it would need is breaking or twisting one blade out of order and the chopper will swerve like crazy.

giphy.gif

If you have the time: 

Spoiler

Shmuser Name

Shmuser Name

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • LocationNJ, The States

Oleander is accepted. Mind the capability of her focus, I'll expect you to rely on it as a strong flaw so that in most cases the woman isn't that strong. Mostly everything in the world is made of metal, she's got a wealth of fodder at her disposal.