Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Latest Chapter Discussion

latest chapter discussion

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

Thunder Wolf

Thunder Wolf

Fried Potato

• Retired Mods
  • 656 posts
  • LocationDiscord

Tsubame is the manager of the kendo club. Ayako is the girl from Slam Dunk I used in comparison. xD

Shit. I gotta stop making posts while I'm about to go to sleep. Either way, sounds like a nice Kendo club. I used to do Kendo and participated in a tournament or two. I quickly decided that I liked bare handed martial arts more. Hopefully, you can help fill in any gaps in my memory that might pop up regarding Kendo. It's not like I remember every single aspect of a sport I no longer do. DX

2z50p6t.png

Irecinius

Irecinius

Potato

• Members
  • 185 posts

If he had more training, he could have won that fight. It was a simple miss.

He didn't miss, the guy dodged big difference...
the the guy says on that page "I see what you doing" and clearly dodge the strike, by skillfully moving his head.

I see your point on him hitting first and winning but...isnt the same as saying "if he was stronger, faster, more accurate....." he would've hit him first and won?
Then whats the point of using the "sakura style"??
http://vatoto.com/read/_/33629/kurogane_v1_ch1_by_lazy-ass-scans/45
Pumping him with power, speed, acuracy.. Will make him into a winner? yea sure
But was that the point? what is the difference from todays kendo to the "sakura style"???

That also bring me to.. why is his style not "different' from everyone's todays AJKF standard Kendo??

I mean she is 150 years old, that put her dead at 1862!!! DNBK was founded in 1895!!

So it shouldn't be a standart kendo style...

I don't care if he gets down and dirty and break his body and reform into some super machine geared to kendo...
Build his stamina, strenght, agility to be on par with that dude..
But well will lose great deal of the main idea!!!

the authour did set this thing up, having him give up so soon its kinda disappointg

Thunder Wolf

Thunder Wolf

Fried Potato

• Retired Mods
  • 656 posts
  • LocationDiscord

If he had more training, he could have won that fight. It was a simple miss.

He didn't miss, the guy dodged big difference...
the the guy says on that page "I see what you doing" and clearly dodge the strike, by skillfully moving his head.

I see your point on him hitting first and winning but...isnt the same as saying "if he was stronger, faster, more accurate....." he would've hit him first and won?
Then whats the point of using the "sakura style"??
http://www.batoto.ne...zy-ass-scans/45
Pumping him with power, speed, acuracy.. Will make him into a winner? yea sure
But was that the point? what is the difference from todays kendo to the "sakura style"???

That also bring me to.. why is his style not "different' from everyone's todays AJKF standard Kendo??

I mean she is 150 years old, that put her dead at 1862!!! DNBK was founded in 1895!!

So it shouldn't be a standart kendo style...

I don't care if he gets down and dirty and break his body and reform into some super machine geared to kendo...
Build his stamina, strenght, agility to be on par with that dude..
But well will lose great deal of the main idea!!!

the authour did set this thing up, having him give up so soon its kinda disappointg

From what I gathered, you're having a hard time understanding the principals of Kendo or fighting in general. I hope I can explain it properly.
In a fight, ANY advantage is better than none. His style basically means that he uses less energy than a normal kendoka to do similar feats. It's not as if his style instantly makes him good. It's not as if he picked up a holy sword that suddenly allows him to fight good and fly or something. He still needs experience and practice like any other person.

Let me quote the same page you linked to, but the Clockwork Lies version, "Originally, the Sakura One-Sword style was with sword techniques that was meant for girls with lower physical strength. Not by using one's strength or speed----it's a skill that uses the movement of the opponent". That makes it the sword equivalent to Aikido. Just because something uses less strength, doesn't mean it uses none at all. This isn't a mahou shoujo manga, physical limitations can apply, especially as this is a manga about kendo.

The problem is that he doesn't even have the strength of a young girl. He needs to at least get to that point. Being weaker than the people the style was designed for cannot be to his best interest. Also, he just started kendo. Do you think a beginner kendoka can suddenly become the best swordsman ever just because he has good eyes and a good style? First or all, he hasn't mastered his style. That much is obvious. Yodaka even commented on his stance and footwork. He needs to practice the basics because he sucks at them.

Also, Kurogane did AMAZINGLY well, considering he's a complete newbie at kendo. His style allowed him to almost beat Yodaka, despite having horrible footwork and a weak stance.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Let me get a few additional things straight.
Yodaka dodged the first attack of Kurogane. He said, and I quote, "I already know the place where you will put your shinai". Then when Kurogane used the second attack, Yodaka said "?! A tsuki that turns?!". Yodaka was caught completely off guard. The second attack oviously failed because of Kurogane's newbishness. Honestly, Kurogane sucks at kendo. The only thing letting him win is his eyesight and processing powers which are hax.

The difference between Sakura One-Strike and other kendo styles is that Sakura One-Strike focuses soley on counters. Most sword styles teach you to attack, and occasionally counter. Sakura One-Strike takes it up to eleven by making most of the moves counters that use an opponents movement and weight against them. So basically, you need less physical abilities than others to do the same basic things.

He doesn't need to be as good as Yodaka in terms of speed and strength. He simply needs to perfect his skills. Because once again, Kurogane is a noob.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I hope that cleared up everything. ^_^

2z50p6t.png

Irecinius

Irecinius

Potato

• Members
  • 185 posts
Hope its cleared? Its funny sound like I'm wrong on something here... or its just me?
Spoiler

Well made into a spoiler so we don't make gigantics quotes!

Depending on the kata there are lots of stances that are sole focused on countering, say IAIDO there at least 2 that I know..Ukenagashi Nukiuchi,
And well If Kurogane used Iaido, would be just cool as hell... and somehow just within the context

Edited by Irecinius, 26 January 2012 - 05:28 AM.

Thunder Wolf

Thunder Wolf

Fried Potato

• Retired Mods
  • 656 posts
  • LocationDiscord

First my discussion is more about the idea that what is sakura style good for, then he got to go train like everyone else, bulk up like everyone else, and do what everyone else does???
its not a mahou shoujo but we have a GHOST, possesing dolls and people..... so can't be realistic either right?

Yes, but the series is about Kurogane's ability, not the ghost. Remember, it's his dream to be a hero.

As for his being worn down after one strike, I'm pretty sure that being possessed adds a lot extra skill to allow his body to move more efficiently. Also, Kurogane has been training a lot, as we've seen.

I have read Aiki. It's pretty funny. Kurogane is indeed in a similar position. But remember, Kurogane's goal is to become strong. Kurogane has started late, and sucks. He has a lot of natural talent, that could allow him to eventually become great, though.

The initial premise was, "guy who's weak has super eyesight, super visual interpretation skills and wants to become a hero." His skills aren't like the Auto-Pilot Abnormality. He simply has such amazing eyesight that he can see muscle movement and predict the opponent's moves. For a good example, read Gamaran.

I always thought of Kurogane as a "weak person meets old sage that teaches him how to pwn" sorta manga. I always thought that the ghost would teach him, but not directly help him, because then it would really be his accomplishment. He has to work hard to do it all himself, because that's how he is. I understand where you're coming from, but for me, I always thought of the ghost as nothing more than a teacher who would motivate and push Kurogane to greater heights.

Oh yeah, about Kurogane's move set. It appears to actually not be normal Kendo moves. For instance, his Samidare looks almost exactly like a Ninjutsu stance.
Spoiler

Oh yeah, and about kendo. You yourself said, "Kendo itself didn't even exist in name till after meji reform, she is about tokugawa period". Kenjutsu, however has been around for a lot longer. Also, seeing as kendo hadn't existed yet, there were probably kenjutsu styles that were adapted or imitated to create kendo. Seeing as a lot of kenjutsu styles have similar katas and various other attacks, I'd assume it wouldn't be too hard to adapt a kenjutsu style to a kendo match. In fact, I've seen kendo matches where someone used Niten-Ichiryu. High ranking, competitive matches in Japan, too.

Overall, I guess we just have a different opinion regarding Kurogane and how the direction the manga chose to go. Hopefully, you'll enjoy it more in the chapters to come.

2z50p6t.png

Irecinius

Irecinius

Potato

• Members
  • 185 posts
Yea definatelly it was adapted into kendo..

I'm here reading and will keep reading.. there are far worse things, and well its too early to tell whats going to happen..

I just hope the romace that just flagged us down, and is going to be thrown there doesn't disrupt the pace...

Thunder Wolf

Thunder Wolf

Fried Potato

• Retired Mods
  • 656 posts
  • LocationDiscord

its too early to tell whats going to happen..

Really? It seems rather predictable to me. Perhaps to a few select others as well. Oh well, I won't spoil the fun for you. XD

2z50p6t.png

Astrid

Astrid

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • LocationGakuen Toshi
man this new chapter is hilarious. xD shidou is comedy gold.

i was expecting something like Miyagi stuff, but this was way better! definitely looking forward to next week's 23 pages. that should contain the entire match.

ao_no_exorcist_by_hagane_girl-d4i0f9t.pn

mihaela7

mihaela7

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts
:batoto_010: :batoto_032: :batoto_009:

Posted Image

Irecinius

Irecinius

Potato

• Members
  • 185 posts

its too early to tell whats going to happen..

Really? It seems rather predictable to me. Perhaps to a few select others as well. Oh well, I won't spoil the fun for you. XD

Its simple trying to hope it turns into a good thing.. instead of the so cliched thing appears to have turned out
Almost like a self suggestion.

Since trying to discuss about the direction things turned was useless... and there isn't much any can do other then accept or move on to other things is there?

Get Kurowimp to KuroSSJ, eye sight on par of a rinnengan, strenght that make kenpachi shiver in excitment, reflexes to leave kenshin in the dust, agility that makes Kizaru seems to be moving in slow motion!
well he got the sakura style, but he would win with a toothpick if he wanted...

And all that with a romance triangle going on...
That no one mentioned till now

Well the guy got the idea to show off to her, be beating someone to a pulp?
so he beats kurogane senseless, boobs get pissed at the guy, tend to kurogane.
so Aohana think "boobs" like "megane", but megane isn't even thinking of that yet. till aohana mention it..

then well we go again down, now his motivation is well to make her happy..
from hero to champion to bitch...

Edited by Irecinius, 27 January 2012 - 08:37 PM.

Thunder Wolf

Thunder Wolf

Fried Potato

• Retired Mods
  • 656 posts
  • LocationDiscord

Get Kurowimp to KuroSSJ, eye sight on par of a rinnengan, strenght that make kenpachi shiver in excitment, reflexes to leave kenshin in the dust, agility that makes Kizaru seems to be moving in slow motion!
well he got the sakura style, but he would win with a toothpick if he wanted...

Sorry, but I personally don't think that will happen (unless it's part of some time skip arc or prologue).

According to my spider sense, I believe the Kurogane vs Aoharu will end in one of three ways.
Spoiler

Edited by Thunder Wolf, 28 January 2012 - 04:53 AM.

2z50p6t.png

ValorantX

ValorantX

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,601 posts
Shidou commented that Aoharu may have even better physical capabilities than he has, so I don't think Kurogane would win that easily unless he becomes reckless. (which is actually likely, seeing that Aoharu probably doesn't know about Kurogane's eyes and will probably underestimate him due to the performance he gave during physical training)

"Once you label me you negate me." - Soren Kierkegaard

Thunder Wolf

Thunder Wolf

Fried Potato

• Retired Mods
  • 656 posts
  • LocationDiscord
I remember them mentioning that Aoharu wasn't good at actual matches, only "fights". I'm thinking that will play to Kurogane's favor (unless the TL didn't make that clear enough. I'll wait for Clock Work Lies)
As we've seen before, Kurogane doesn't need physical strength as much as he needs skill. We've seen him improve a lot in a small amount of time. I'm thinking the footwork training will dramatically increase his abilities. Heck, the match might make a specific mention of the footwork training (either that, or how Kurogane has more stamina). You know how these manga like to foreshadow this sort of thing.

I'm just going with my gut on this, though.

2z50p6t.png

Tr0pic0n

Tr0pic0n

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 28 posts
Welp no surprise that Kurogane beat Aoharu. But I'm not sure if Kurogane will be as handy as to help fend off 2x bullies. Next week should be an interesting "I'm your friend!" type of chapter.
-Links to some sites coming soon. For now, have a pineapple.

penguin71

penguin71

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 268 posts
  • LocationThat state that no one cares about
I don't think he'll actually fight off all the bullies. They'll probably fight together, get all beaten up with some bullies left. And then they'll share one of those bromance smiles. Just before they get destroyed they'll probably get rescued by the rest of the kendo members. Then he'll reflect on friends and whatnot. Bam end of chapter.

Maybe I read to much manga >_>

P.S. I also predict he'll be the "super-energetic/stupid-person-that-vows-to-beat-him-after-losing-all-the-time" rival

Edited by penguin71, 08 February 2012 - 11:04 PM.

~やら~やら

The Best Bagels

Former Typesetter/Blogger for FKMTkrazy

Spoiler

ValorantX

ValorantX

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,601 posts
Well there's Shidou who's pretty strong and the other kendo guys, but what they're trying to do is avoid getting into fights. -.-

Thunder Wolf

Thunder Wolf

Fried Potato

• Retired Mods
  • 656 posts
  • LocationDiscord
I agree. Only I think it'll probably go a little different than the people behind me have posted. Pretty good predictions, though. I'm glad I'm not the only one who reads Kurogane and things, "PREDICTABRU!"

Also, I'll keep my prediction to myself for this chapter. I think there's at least 3 possibilities, though. In all cases, they beat the bullies, obviously.

2z50p6t.png

ValorantX

ValorantX

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,601 posts
If anything this manga is starting to become too predictable, generic WSJ manga. -.-

Thunder Wolf

Thunder Wolf

Fried Potato

• Retired Mods
  • 656 posts
  • LocationDiscord

If anything this manga is starting to become too predictable, generic WSJ manga. -.-

Only just starting to? I thought it's been that since the beginning. It's super predictable. But then again, that's one of the reasons I like it.

2z50p6t.png

ValorantX

ValorantX

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,601 posts

Only just starting to? I thought it's been that since the beginning. It's super predictable. But then again, that's one of the reasons I like it.

You like manga that's predictable?..... well I guess nearly all sports manga kind of is though