Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Latest Chapter Discussion

latest chapter discussion

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

malgod

malgod

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • LocationAustralia ;)
Such a good manga! Can't wait for the next chapter!

Ch.6 - I have a feeling he's gonna spar with the champ and have an epic moment :D gonna be so cool
"Heaven knows we need never be ashamed of our tears, for they are rain upon the blinding dust of earth, overlaying our hard hearts"

Hunter4all

Hunter4all

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts
yeah i agree with you..i liked all of the chapters..i really think this manga is a very gooood one ^^
i can't wait for the next one...and for the chapters when he will fight with the other general :)

BlaZin

BlaZin

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 17 posts
Yeah I also enjoy this manga, and it seems like it is the kind of series that will hopefully poll well with WSJ readers poor ST&RS :(

Edited by BlaZin, 25 October 2011 - 05:26 PM.

Posted Image

CWL Editor~

ValorantX

ValorantX

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,601 posts
Honestly, Kurogane's team has almost no chance of winning 3/5.

"Once you label me you negate me." - Soren Kierkegaard

Karlito504

Karlito504

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 11 posts
lol I don't see them winning as well...but, who knows

ValorantX

ValorantX

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,601 posts
Only Kamiya and Shidou has a chance..... and I don't see Kurogane winning the Taichou battle so we kind of know the outcome.

AzureNova

AzureNova

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationSouth California
I expect kamiya and shidou to win their matches, and for kurogane to participate and show off his potential. I bet Kurogane will definitely pull of something miraculous that will shock all the spectators, but will ultimately lose in the end. Then the opposing general will start to respect him and look forward to fighting him again. What would be really interesting is if Kurogane manages to win, but I doubt it.

ValorantX

ValorantX

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,601 posts
yea a cliche shonen storyline but I feel like it won't really be interesting if it doesn't go that way. What also could happen is Kamiya and/or Shidou lose their matches but either Kurogane (to test himself) or Yodaka (who's starting to become interested in Kurogane) might request for a match and we'll see Kurogane's potential then
and we all know Kurogane is definitely not going to win... if his master didn't even manage to land a hit

Irecinius

Irecinius

Potato

• Members
  • 185 posts
they wont win, they need to stabish the superior team, goal to beat on next tournament.
so they go thru vigorous training and all..

Although if they can get to a situation where EVEN if Kuro wins, won't ammount to a full vicotry.. or he will lose/draw but enough to make everyone acnoledge him as definite threat.

And regardings that skirmish that sakura had with Yodaka.. I felt little forced that he is THAT good.. I'd be happier if like she gave up earlier (or someone interrupted the match) so she wouldn't be so pressured AND gave the freakin secret move away to the enemy...she should be like a godlike, and he put her down a few notches...

Thunder Wolf

Thunder Wolf

Fried Potato

• Retired Mods
  • 656 posts
  • LocationDiscord
His stance in the final page of ch17 looks exactly like the final stance of the guy who gave Kenshin Himura his first scar in the Samurai X movie.
If something similar to Samurai X happens, where they BOTH get hit (even if Kurogane hits slightly after Yodaka) I will both laugh and cry.

2z50p6t.png

Irecinius

Irecinius

Potato

• Members
  • 185 posts
^thats no good, is it? the guy ended dead and only gave a lousy scar that made the killer look even cooler now!!!

ValorantX

ValorantX

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,601 posts
What are the rules in kendo for each side getting a hit at the exact same time though, does anyone know?
Kenjutsus mostly about slicing through your enemies while Kendo you just have to hit your opponent so the art is a bit different...

Thunder Wolf

Thunder Wolf

Fried Potato

• Retired Mods
  • 656 posts
  • LocationDiscord
Whoever hits first gets the point. The second hit doesn't count. If the ref can't tell, it's called Aiuchi, and neither side receives a point.
By the way, this manga has broken rules before. Yelling advice from the sidelines can cause hansoku (a penalty). The funny thing though, is that if the person takes the advice and gets a point before the penalty is called, the point still counts. I think you're only allowed one penalty at a time, though. That's why in chapter 13, Kakei didn't receive two penalties. Just for reference so you can laugh when someone gives advice, manga-style, and doesn't get penalized.

Source: I had a very brief time as a Kendoka (I decided I liked MMA and Jujutsu more). Also, reference books.

Edited by Thunder Wolf, 08 January 2012 - 01:18 AM.

2z50p6t.png

ValorantX

ValorantX

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,601 posts
Thanks, that was pretty helpful. I'm going to be starting kendo this week so I have to make sure the mistaken points in these types of manga. The authors are often not careful..... I've noticed some mistakes in the rules of football in eyeshield21 for an example.

Thunder Wolf

Thunder Wolf

Fried Potato

• Retired Mods
  • 656 posts
  • LocationDiscord
Well, depending on where you learn Kendo, you'll have different names for techniques, different sparring rules and so on.
Also, depending on what country you are in, the instruction and discipline required might be different. In a traditional learning environment, the amount of discipline and respect you must show is rarely shown in manga (at least, not in a way that truly expresses it). In reality, if you talk while practicing, watching others spar, or being instructed, you'd be punished (I once had to do 100 knuckle-clap pushups on a concrete floor. If I messed up, I had to start all over).

2z50p6t.png

ValorantX

ValorantX

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,601 posts
One thing I'd like to add is that what throws a lot of people off about this manga is that kinetic vision is seen as a measurement of kendo ability..... but eyes actually has nothing to do with anything. =.= Kurogane's case might be different because he has a superpowered form of it but that's not what the manga implies.

Thunder Wolf

Thunder Wolf

Fried Potato

• Retired Mods
  • 656 posts
  • LocationDiscord
Actually, if you have good eyes, you will definitely have an advantage. Eyesight alone won't do it, though. You'd need to know were to look, and be able to make good judgement based on what you see. For instance, having good eyesight may allow you to catch subtle movements your opponent makes, letting you know their next move.
However, good reflexes and agility is what's most important. If you can't react fast enough, you'll lose no matter how well you see. You need to be able to make sudden, agile movements. Dexterity also plays a rather large role in Kendo. To truly be great, you need eyes, agility, dexterity, and talent.

On a side note, you can train to the point of being good without any natural skills. It's called muscle memory. However, you'll never be one of the best. That only happens in manga.
One thing you see in manga, that actually happens in real life, is a clumsy person being amazing in Kendo or martial arts. For some reason, they stop being clumsy only when they do martial arts or other specific activities.

As for the kinetic vision, I just ignored that. I made my own, much better interpretation: He has an abnormal nervous system. XD

2z50p6t.png

ValorantX

ValorantX

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,601 posts

Actually, if you have good eyes, you will definitely have an advantage. Eyesight alone won't do it, though. You'd need to know were to look, and be able to make good judgement based on what you see. For instance, having good eyesight may allow you to catch subtle movements your opponent makes, letting you know their next move.

Ah sorry, what I meant that as long as you have eyesight that's good enough (so that it doesn't restricts your peripheral vision and depth perception) it doesn't really matter too much. I'm saying that good eyesight isn't like a skill.

As for the kinetic vision, I just ignored that. I made my own, much better interpretation: He has an abnormal nervous system. XD

Yeah I pretty much didn't take it too seriously either, like the fact that his judgment and thinking process happens to be able to keep up with his visual perception.

Thunder Wolf

Thunder Wolf

Fried Potato

• Retired Mods
  • 656 posts
  • LocationDiscord

Ah sorry, what I meant that as long as you have eyesight that's good enough (so that it doesn't restricts your peripheral vision and depth perception) it doesn't really matter too much. I'm saying that good eyesight isn't like a skill.

True. While it doesn't matter, too much, it can give the edge you need to win a match against an equally skilled opponent..You need the skills on how to use your eyesight. Without the skills on whereto look, your 20/20 is worthless.

If you can think fast enough to keep up with your abnormal vision, you can learn faster, perform better, and overall be a better kendoka. So really, it isn't vision that matters, but vision+thinking fast+judgement+skills to use them efficiently. If you had all of that, you'd be able to do well even if you were physically weak (as long as you had good agility/reflexes as well).

In reference to the eyesight thing, my eyesight used to be so good I'd need to periodically close my eyes due to my head hurting (not as bad as Kurogane. I only had to take 5 minute breaks about 3-5 times a day). That's why Kurogane struck me as interesting. I related to the problem. While not the most important thing to have, I can vouch that it definitely helped me out a lot in learning and in matches. Oh, and wearing glasses that make it hard to see only make the headaches happen faster. Your eyes try to compensate by working even harder.

2z50p6t.png

Irecinius

Irecinius

Potato

• Members
  • 185 posts
well finally he is moving his ass towards some decent goal..
and I kinda expected that would end that way.. guess this is going to be the "baby steps" of kendo~

except I like e-chan alot more... for his drive..

Edited by Irecinius, 13 January 2012 - 11:40 PM.