Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

ONE's art is terrible, why is his manga so popular

art good manga ONE

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

cestalia

cestalia

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • LocationIndonesia
I am probably the rare type of reader who think artstyle is only compliment of manga. When I read a story, I usually more interested in plotline or characters than art style. I know ONE art is not that great, but let's just face it. His concept of story is AWESOME!

geenius3ab

geenius3ab

Potato

• Members
  • 187 posts

I am probably the rare type of reader who think artstyle is only compliment of manga. When I read a story, I usually more interested in plotline or characters than art style. I know ONE art is not that great, but let's just face it. His concept of story is AWESOME!

There's simply some narrow-minded people who think that a comic/manga/webcomic can't be popular with bad art. Art is not the most important thing in a comic, as long as it's interesting to read, doesn't matter what art something has.

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

Storyline matters more, but art matters.  It and words are the medium by which the story is conveyed. A movie with great story might not be so nice with crappy special effects. Which brings up another point, depends on the story and the audience how much art matters.

Suffice to say though, the art isn't "terrible" and it is sufficient for the story.

PieceOfSchmittGames

PieceOfSchmittGames

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 251 posts

I literally JUST realized this comic is by one.

Social Media: Facebook Twitter Discord Instagram

Mangadex Profile: https://mangadex.org/user/1304/justnatsuki

Challenge: Try to find out the secret under this spoiler.

Spoiler

lygarx

lygarx

Potato

• Members
  • 170 posts

His story telling is so on point for a manga that it negates how bad the art is and rises above to the realms of legend. If it does well, this may also get a new artist to redo it like his other manga One Punch man. He is god tier story teller. 

His story telling is so on point for a manga that it negates how bad the art is and rises above to the realms of legend. If it does well, this may also get a new artist to redo it like his other manga One Punch man. He is god tier story teller. 

Right now this is a web comic, a manga with better art is soon to follow if it hasn't already been made. 

Edited by lygarx, 25 August 2016 - 07:05 AM.

kurauuu

kurauuu

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts

Discovered ONE with Makai no Ossan. Just laughed a lot, and a lot. I found OPM and MP100 and i liked it a lot. MP anime is quite cool also.

I didn't think i could like story with those arts, but i liked them finally. CRUDE and BRUTAL drawing is good and clear enough to be amazed.

Well, it seems to pop elsewhere those "types", like Red Storm or White Epic or Helck. Quite simple at first glance, but i LIKE them. Well they're not in the same "league".

It draws me with old mangas with fun or good stories, and thats quite good i think.

Jack Dandy

Jack Dandy

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

Say what you want about the static scenes, but both the action scenes, and "OH SHI-" scenes are really well made imo.

http://imgur.com/a/Ha3xL

MrAnarchist

MrAnarchist

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 298 posts
  • LocationFrom Ravnica to Theros, from Innistrad to Kamigawa, I'm in no single place for too long
I was going to answer with interesting characters and story, but that point has been made abundantly clear already
So Ulamog and Kozilek are dead, FOR GOOD. but Ugin made a good point: there's no telling how many eldrazi there are in the Blind Eternities and whether they will seek revenge.

It REALLY sucks when a pacifist makes you guilty for killing monsters.

10.jpg

17.jpg

19.jpg

Rommel

Rommel

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 9 posts

Now everyone knows that ONE is a great storyteller,that's not up for debate,but with a shitty art,how did he even got to those first people? thats the real question,how did he made an audience with no "charm"? i mean i am  webcomic artist(here is the link:http://vatoto.com/comic/_/sp/a-tale-shaped-in-ice-r18682case you´re curious) and i didn´t got that much atention so fast,not that am complaining,but it is an anomaly,to the point where one could say "he was only lucky".

Asmael

Asmael

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts

I do enjoy the Artstyle, simply because ONE has the most important aspect down, which is what one could call "Visual Storytelling." He knows which angle works, which expression to show and what to make the reader pay attention to in order to get his message across even without using speech bubbles. It's a rare art, more a talent, really. 

Also, Rommel, your comic isn't quiet as good. No offense, but your storytelling is pretty forseeable and your characters lack any real expression. Just my two cents on that, though. 

Giantess

Giantess

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 417 posts
  • LocationOn top!

Now everyone knows that ONE is a great storyteller,that's not up for debate,but with a shitty art,how did he even got to those first people? thats the real question,how did he made an audience with no "charm"? i mean i am  webcomic artist(here is the link:http://vatoto.com/comic/_/sp/a-tale-shaped-in-ice-r18682case you´re curious) and i didn´t got that much atention so fast,not that am complaining,but it is an anomaly,to the point where one could say "he was only lucky".

I think his art might actually be part of it. It's so unusual that it attracts attention all on its own, while people who look at it out of curiosity due to that stick around when they realize he's good at storytelling and characterization.

I mean, his art style is weird and ugly (often intentionally ugly), but that's more eye-catching and interesting than one of the countless generic-looking comics out there.

Alyxsandre

Alyxsandre

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

Super late reply is late, but it's probably because it was a webcomic at the start. OPM was started up in 2009, apparently, and it really only got big three years later--in 2012. That's when Murata also picked up the manga, ie, asked ONE for permission to redraw. It went viral, most likely because of first-time followers who first found the thing funny because of the art, but later discovered that "oh, this guy can write good stories." If that wasn't the case, Murata never would have picked it up.

I only started reading the original, specifically because I discovered Murata's redraw first, and then I found out it was a redraw. I'm sure the same was for many others. Mob Psycho 100 came around that time when everything went viral. I only found out about Mob Psycho 100 when I realized that the anime looked very similar to ONE's style, and found out it was also by him, but instead of being redrawn... Was directly translated from his art style.

It was a series of somebody slowly getting discovered, and suddenly exploding.

He wasn't "lucky," he had talent as a storyteller, and that talent got discovered.

His art makes him stand out even more.

ArinoKachoGCCX

ArinoKachoGCCX

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

Because he knows how to write a story and make the characters interesting. If a manga has really good art but boring story and uninteresting characters, I'd drop it at the next chapter. 

geenius3ab

geenius3ab

Potato

• Members
  • 187 posts

Super late reply is late, but it's probably because it was a webcomic at the start. OPM was started up in 2009, apparently, and it really only got big three years later--in 2012. That's when Murata also picked up the manga, ie, asked ONE for permission to redraw. It went viral, most likely because of first-time followers who first found the thing funny because of the art, but later discovered that "oh, this guy can write good stories." If that wasn't the case, Murata never would have picked it up.

I only started reading the original, specifically because I discovered Murata's redraw first, and then I found out it was a redraw. I'm sure the same was for many others. Mob Psycho 100 came around that time when everything went viral. I only found out about Mob Psycho 100 when I realized that the anime looked very similar to ONE's style, and found out it was also by him, but instead of being redrawn... Was directly translated from his art style.

It was a series of somebody slowly getting discovered, and suddenly exploding.

He wasn't "lucky," he had talent as a storyteller, and that talent got discovered.

His art makes him stand out even more.

Actually you got things the other way around,

1. ONE makes a popular Web novel with millions of hits.

2. Murata picks it up.

3. ONE's piece gets sold/spread in a even wider scale.

OPM webnovel was even popular before Murata picked it up, the web novel stood on its own before Murata. Now it's a far bigger name thanks to Murata's version, but that doesn't change that ONE already had fans of the series who understood his talent even before all of this and Murata was not the one who handed ONE popularity on a silver platter.

Edited by geenius3ab, 21 January 2017 - 12:42 PM.

Caiah

Caiah

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

What? It's not bad, it's just unusual. 

Glueman

Glueman

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts
Its because he is able to craft a good story and using his unique/unusual art style to sell it. As a testament to that, he is currently working
on two series (Mob Psycho 100 and One Punch Man) simultaneously at two different web manga magazine.

RandomMinstrel

RandomMinstrel

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

Because he knows how to write a story and make the characters interesting. If a manga has really good art but boring story and uninteresting characters, I'd drop it at the next chapter. 

Ya, I'm trying to read through the manga now after watching the anime, but it's the way his characters are designed that's interesting. He makes main characters that they themselves are in a sense self-loathing of their powers. They can win but their have their own morality that stops them from using it in a viscous way.

For Mob, the tragedy of his character is inspired from Akira's Tetsuo Shima,  ​psychic power influenced by emotions. So for Mob he subconsciously blocked his emotions because he feared of the dangers his emotions would have with his powers. He in a  sense became an empty shell of a human with great power but he's afraid of showing any strong emotions because of how it might influence the power within.

You aren't so much following the exploits of how strong Mob is but rather how Mob is trying to be normal. He wants to understand the things he forced himself to keep locked away and that's what makes the series interesting because you want to see him succeed at coming to a point where he doesn't have to be afraid with showing his emotions.

potatoextensionprogram

potatoextensionprogram

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationCoffin at day , who knows at night

I disagree. One's art is awsome. But differing opinions will always exist. 

geenius3ab

geenius3ab

Potato

• Members
  • 187 posts

The way how webcomics start. A couple of people find it, like it and it expands. That's how it started. In japan there are a lot of forums and places where people share things that they like and OPM and Mob found an audience and it is not hard to understand why if you actually read the initial versions of his works, even with bad art the story and characters are interesting.

Once OPM got popular enough, Murata, who was also one of the people who liked his works made an offer and ONE was overjoyed as ONE was also Murata's fan.

ONE's works have sufficient popularity to make it on their own, but ofc Murata had a wider impact and made ONE from a indie star into a mainstream star.

Edited by geenius3ab, 15 July 2017 - 05:19 PM.

Zeril

Zeril

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

I can't imagine MP100 having anything but ONE's art style, and I'm don't even always prefer the Murata version of a given OPM page over the ONE counterpart.