Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

New recruitment post - Death Toll Scanlations

Cleaner redrawer typesetter proofreader desperate

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

kendama

kendama

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 332 posts

Bump!

We need at the very least one more cleaner and four more redrawers to get all of our series going. Details below.

So for now, everything other than Teizokurei Monophobia, Ouroboros, Deathtopia, Destroy and revolution and Sprite is suspended until someone applies. Ouro and Sprite will come out very slowly because they are redraw-heavy and I don't want to overwhelm our redrawers, who aren't even assigned to these series in the first place.

If you would like to apply, these are the positions for which we need editors:

- Demon Assassins needs a redrawer.

- Funouhan needs a redrawer. We have two chapters translated, one fully typeset.

- God, you bastard, I wanna kill you! needs a cleaner-redrawer.

- Sprite needs a cleaner. We have a whole volume translated. We have designed a Photoshop action, complete with a step-by-step guide, to make cleaning of our scans of this series easier. Prospective applicants will receive it.

- Ouroboros needs a replacement redrawer until our Head Redrawer sorts out some real life matters. We have a whole volume typeset.

- Deathtopia needs a redrawer. The position is, in principle, temporary. We have 21 translated chapters and a whole cleaned volume, plus high-quality webraws for everything else.

All of the redrawers, the Deathtopia one excepted, need to be top-notch. We mean very skilled. Most of our series are hard. Our tests are difficult, but either you take them or you show us a sample of PSDs from your previous work you are particularly proud of. We're not easily impressed: if your previous work does not convince us you can do the job you are applying for, we will request either more samples or that you try your hand in a test page. Of course, if you do succeed in making our jaw drop, you can bypass the test and will be taken up without further questions. For Deathtopia, though, the conditions are much easier, just see the instructions on chapter 17.

You can contact me any way you want and I'll guide you through the application if you need. PM me here or via the Death Toll Scans homepage (deathtollscans.net). I can also take any questions you may have. Or you can just read our Join Us section in the forums there and follow the instructions. If you want to send me PSDs from your previous work, you can just bundle them in a compressed folder and send me the link however you wish. We normally send results back in less than 48 hours, sometimes in the same day. If you show promise but are not quite there, we are too understaffed to provide training, but we will give you a thorough assessment and advance some tips for you to improve.

You can also post questions here, or even applications if you want.

P.S.: Sorry for not calling off the recruitment for Destroy and Revolution earlier. Since there are only three more chapters to go, I'll clean them myself.

kendama

kendama

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 332 posts

Bump!

We need at the very least four more redrawers to get all of our series going. Details below.

So for now, everything other than Teizokurei Monophobia, Ouroboros, Deathtopia, Sprite and Destroy and revolution is suspended until someone applies. Ouro will come out very slowly because it is redraw-heavy and I don't want to overwhelm our redrawers, who aren't even assigned to this series in the first place.

- Funouhan needs a redrawer. We have two chapters translated, one fully typeset.

- Ouroboros needs a replacement redrawer until our Head Redrawer sorts out some real life matters. We have a whole volume typeset.

- Deathtopia needs a redrawer. The position is, in principle, temporary. We have 21 translated chapters and a whole cleaned volume, plus high-quality webraws for everything else.

All of the redrawers, the Deathtopia one excepted, need to be top-notch. We mean very skilled. Most of our series are hard. Our tests are difficult, but either you take them or you show us a sample of PSDs from your previous work you are particularly proud of. We're not easily impressed: if your previous work does not convince us you can do the job you are applying for, we will request either more samples or that you try your hand in a test page. Of course, if you do succeed in making our jaw drop, you can bypass the test and will be taken up without further questions. For Deathtopia, though, the conditions are much easier, just see the instructions on chapter 17.

You can contact me any way you want and I'll guide you through the application if you need. PM me here or via the Death Toll Scans homepage (deathtollscans.net). I can also take any questions you may have. Or you can just read our Join Us section in the forums there and follow the instructions. If you want to send me PSDs from your previous work, you can just bundle them in a compressed folder and send me the link however you wish. We normally send results back in less than 48 hours, sometimes in the same day. If you show promise but are not quite there, we are too understaffed to provide training, but we will give you a thorough assessment and advance some tips for you to improve.

kendama

kendama

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 332 posts

Bump!

We need at the very least four more redrawers to get all of our series going. Details below.

So for now, everything other than Teizokurei Monophobia, Ouroboros, Deathtopia and Sprite is suspended until someone applies. Ouro will come out very slowly because it is redraw-heavy and I don't want to overwhelm our redrawers, who aren't even assigned to this series in the first place.

- Ouroboros needs a redrawer.

- Deathtopia needs a redrawer. The position is, in principle, temporary. We have 19 translated chapters and high-quality webraws for everything.

kendama

kendama

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 332 posts

Bump!

We need at the very least three more redrawers to get all of our series going. Details below.

- Deathtopia needs a redrawer. The position is, in principle, temporary. We have 19 translated chapters and high-quality webraws for everything.

Silentnight

Silentnight

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 60 posts
  • LocationCA,USA

For: God, you bastard, I wanna kill you! does the applicant need to be both a cleaner and redrawer?

Edited by Silentnight, 03 January 2016 - 11:33 PM.

kendama

kendama

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 332 posts

For: God, you bastard, I wanna kill you! does the applicant need to be both a cleaner and redrawer?

Yes, but we use webraws for that series (at least we did last time I checked), so it's really only removing text from bubbles, no Dusting, Straightening or Levelling involved. In theory, if we get the redrawer, we could try to do something about cleaning with our current staff, but it seems a waste to have two people for image editing in this series, even more so because we're probably not going to release more than a chapter per month unless the translator speeds up.

Edited by kendama, 04 January 2016 - 03:19 AM.

Silentnight

Silentnight

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 60 posts
  • LocationCA,USA

Oh ok

Edited by Silentnight, 04 January 2016 - 09:03 AM.

kendama

kendama

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 332 posts

Bump!

We need at the very least two more redrawers to get all of our series going. Details below.

kendama

kendama

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 332 posts

Bump!

Guess what? At least for now, we're good on redrawers. I can hardly believe myself. Well, that's not quite true, we still have one series, but it's stalled anyway, so it's no big deal:

Now what we need are cleaners:

- For Ouroboros, we have webraws or top-quality, pre-cleaned tankoobon raws. You only need to know how to Detext.

- For Funouhan, we have top-quality tankoobon raws, too, but they are not pre-cleaned. So you need to know how to Level, Detext, Crop, maybe resize and - this is where applicants lose their mettle - Dust.

Ideally applicants should take our test: that way they will be allowed to clean not only their assigned series, but anything Death Toll might do now or in the future. For Funouhan, the test is compulsory. For Ouroboros, if you just have the patience, availability to clean 40-50 pages every other week and knows how to use layers in Photoshop, we can take you up. Knowing how to use actions is also a plus, but not essential.

You can contact me any way you want and I'll guide you through the application if you need. PM me here or via the Death Toll Scans homepage (deathtollscans.net). I can also take any questions you may have. Or you can just read our Join Us section in the forums there and follow the instructions.

kendama

kendama

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 332 posts

Bump!

Guess what? At least for now, we're good on redrawers. I can hardly believe myself. Well, that's not quite true, we still have one series, but it's stalled anyway, so it's no big deal:

Now what we need are cleaners:

- For Ouroboros, we have webraws or decent public tankoobon raws. You need to know how to Detext, to Straighten & Crop, to correct Blacks and Whites either by Levels or by Curves, to use a Photoshop Action and to remove some bleedthrough. We have a specially tailored test, so contact me if you want to take it.

- For Funouhan, we have top-quality tankoobon raws we scan ourselves. So you need to know how to Level, Detext, Straighten & Crop, maybe resize and - this is where applicants lose their mettle - Dust. You need to take our global Cleaning test, which you can find in the Join Us section in our site.

We also need a typesetter for Teizokurei Monophobia. The series is going to end in less than two volumes, and the release pace is not very intense, so the workload is not high. The typesetting test is also in our Join Us section.

You can contact me any way you want and I'll guide you through the application if you need. PM me here or via the Death Toll Scans homepage (deathtollscans.net). I can also take any questions you may have. Or you can just read our Join Us section in the forums there and follow the instructions.

kendama

kendama

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 332 posts

Bump!

Guess what? At least for now, we're good on redrawers. I can hardly believe myself. Well, we could do with a redrawer for Demon Assassins, but as I will only resume translation of it if one shows up, it's not the end of the world if one doesn't.

Now what we need are a cleaners and a typesetter:

- For Funouhan, we have top-quality tankoobon raws we scan ourselves. So you need to know how to Level, Detext, Straighten & Crop, maybe resize and - this is where applicants lose their mettle - Dust. You need to take our global Cleaning test, which you can find in the Join Us section in our site.

-The typesetter is needed for Teizokurei Monophobia. The series is going to end in less than two volumes, and the release pace is not very intense, so the workload is not high. The typesetting test is also in our Join Us section.

kendama

kendama

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 332 posts

Bump!

OK, the Typesetting Department collapsed. Other than the Head and the one in charge of Sprite, we only have a factotum helping us here and there.

To get things going properly, we need three typesetters:

-For Teizokurei Monophobia. The series is going to end in less than two volumes, and the release pace is not very intense, so the workload is not high.

- For Funouhan, the translation pace isn't high (ttcchen is often busy with real life), but we need you to be prepared to do a chapter a month, at least.

- For God, you bastard, I wanna kill you!, it's the same translator as Funouhan, but the chapters are shorter, so it's possible that we can get them out a little more quickly.

The typesetting test is in our Join Us section at deathtollscans.net

You can contact me any way you want and I'll guide you through the application if you need. PM me here or via the Death Toll Scans homepage (nickname Wraith). I can also take any questions you may have. Or you can just read our Join Us section in the forums there and follow the instructions.

kendama

kendama

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 332 posts

Bump!

Given that no one ever bothers to apply from this thread, I am pretty sure that people only come here for entertainment value or something of the kind. Otherwise, why the heck would we have the highest number of views per day of all the teams recruiting here that have more than 1,000 views total?

Well, you Philistines, the fun is almost over. We only need one typesetter and after that, until someone retires or a translator for whatever miracle decides to join us, I won't need to recruit!

(And now I've tempted the fates with the above declaration, everyone in the team will call in sick or disappear for my eternal damnation.)

- Funouhan is the series in need of a typesetter. The translation pace isn't high (ttcchen is often busy with real life), but we need you to be prepared to do a chapter a month, at least.

You can contact me any way you want and I'll guide you through the application if you need. PM me here or via the Death Toll Scans homepage (nickname Wraith). I can also take any questions you may have. Or you can just read our Join Us section in the forums there and follow the instructions.

kendama

kendama

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 332 posts

Well, bump.

We still need that typesetter for Funouhan. (Well, the chapter isn't cleaned yet, so we're not in a hurry. But it is translated and proofed.) The translation pace isn't high (ttcchen is often busy with real life), but we need you to be prepared to do a chapter a month, at least.

Now we're more or less good on editors, we can tentatively begin new projects, so translators are welcome at Death Toll. I cannot promise a quick release pace, but we can certainly make bait releases to recruit, so if you'd like to try a stint with us, feel free to contact me.

(Ha ha. As if!)

Edited by kendama, 28 February 2016 - 09:01 PM.

kendama

kendama

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 332 posts

From now on, we're NOT recruiting! Our last position has been filled! Can you hear the trumpets? See the cone of light and the angelic choirs? No? Well, me neither, I'm not schizophrenic, but I am grinning ear to ear all the same!

Now, the word of the day is expanding, and for that we are inviting translators to consider joining us. (Inviting, as opposed to recruiting.)

Here is the full invitation I have posted with our latest chapter:

Right now, Death Toll has three translators associated with it, plus our great freelancer Royal.

If you know Japanese and there's a series you'd like to translate, or one of ours you'd like to see active again (Diamond Cut Diamond, Underdog - just four chapters to completion! - Demon Assassins etc.), why not try joining us for a bait chapter?

The reason I say "bait chapter" is that I cannot guarantee we will be able to start new projects just by getting translators. Death Toll has a peculiarity: we advertise our positions asking for people who want to do that series in particular, and we don't give our staff assignments they don't want to do.

The upside of the policy is that motivation is never a problem. Even for our series that have low release paces (most of them, sadly), the staff waits patiently because they are personally interested in them.

The downside is that most of our scanlators are personally interested in only the series they applied for. We have a couple of factotums who like scanlation for scanlation's sake - they are lifesavers! - and will take any job, but they are very few. Most of our team members do just one or two series. (A small advantage of that is that burn-out is never an issue.)

But we do have a policy of odd jobs, that is, asking our staff graciously to do one chapter of something else just to help us. If I get a new translator for a new project, I can almost certainly get a chapter out, and then we can try to use it to fish for new staff to complete the team and make the bait chapter into a new project! You gain a release and team to work with, and we get new members to our skeleton crew! Double win! \o/

Death Toll is a quiet group that does mostly second-tier and obscure manga. Any team member can suggest new series and our structure is not vertical. Heads of Department's only prerogative is setting standards and grading applications, but once you are approved (well, sometimes there is a short probation period) you have final say on your work unless you mess up badly. And everyone here says "please". Seriously, even though I am Admin, my job is mostly serve as everybody's secretary and pick up the drudgery. And bore you to death with these ads.

Our series were originally survival manga, but now, while there is still a bias towards violence, we can do most genres. Most of our series are seinen, but the only genres we would probably not do would be BL and GL as no one that I know of is interested among us. Romance, josei and shoujo would be hard to get staff for from our team (we did do Haruka 17 a long time ago), so they are also a tough call, but we are open to anything else. (Well, we don't have any philosophical objection to hentai as nearly everyone here is of adult age, but in that case, bring your own editors :D)

We try to keep high standards, and we do have a TL test if you are not experienced. We found it on Imgur: https://i.imgur.com/1YrSctq.jpg. Transcribe the Japanese and translate it, then send us the translation and the script as a PM to Wraith in the forums (deathtollscans.net) or Kendama at Batoto.

If you are experienced, though, you can send us some of your past work and we will tell you if you can bypass the test. And if you absolutely insist, I can give you a whole chapter to translate as test. We're not fussy, really.

So, feel like giving it a try? Our group is rock bottom and tired of digging further, so the only way now is up!

Edited by kendama, 07 March 2016 - 05:08 AM.

kendama

kendama

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 332 posts

Bump!

Here I am, discharging my inglorious task of finding a translator (or more) gracious enough to lend their skills to our band of misfits.

But I'm not going to bury you under another wall of text. (Well, not that you come here with any intention of joining, I know full well you are just driven by some morbid sense of curiosity about what we the riff-raff are chasing our own tails for.)

That's because nothing has changed since the previous post (#35). So in case you want details, feel free to read that.

kendama

kendama

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 332 posts

Bump!

We're still trying to find new translators as per post #35, but here are some of the projects we have in mind:

Short or near completion:

- Underdog (four chapters to completion) - a violent seinen
- Demon Assassins (ten chapters to completion) - action shounen, generic but entertaining

Long stalled:

- Diamond cut diamond (26 chapters to completion) - supernatural, mystery shounen we do with Outer World Scans

New projects we have in mind:

- Shounen Y - supernatural shounen with a touch of metaphysics and ethics, finished at eight volumes
- Psychic Odagiri Kyouko's Lies - cerebral mystery comedy by the author of Liar Game. Finished at seven volumes. Neglected probably because, like all series by this author, it's very wordy and hard to translate. Seinen.

But as I said in the aforementioned post, the above list is tentative at best. If you have suggestions of your own, bring them with you and we will do our best to make it work!

kendama

kendama

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 332 posts

Bump!

We're still trying to find new translators as per post #35, but we have found one already, so the list of projects without someone working on them has changed a little:

Short or near completion:

- Demon Assassins (ten chapters to completion) - action shounen, generic but entertaining

Long stalled:

- Diamond cut diamond (26 chapters to completion) - supernatural, mystery shounen we do with Outer World Scans

New projects we have in mind:

- Psychic Odagiri Kyouko's Lies - cerebral mystery comedy by the author of Liar Game. Finished at seven volumes. Neglected probably because, like all series by this author, it's very wordy and hard to translate. Seinen.

But as I said in the aforementioned post, the above list is tentative at best. If you have suggestions of your own, bring them with you and we will do our best to make it work!

And since we have expanded a teensy bit, we could do with a cleaner-at-large, that is, someone who likes scanlation for scanlation's sake, to help relieve our overstretched cleaners.

Otakupath

Otakupath

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

am a beginner translator, hold a JLPT N5 cert. Am going for N4 exam soon. Tough kanji usually i will look at my japanese dictionary. capable to understand japanese sentence till certain degree.

keen in typesetter position too. 

Hoping to polish my skill. 

will do any translation test if i need to.

Edited by Otakupath, 03 April 2016 - 02:29 PM.

kendama

kendama

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 332 posts

Thanks for the interest, Otakupath!

How about taking this test: http://i.imgur.com/lf9eA.jpg

(Waychanger and Uruner are no longer with us, so please send the completed test to me.)

Good luck!