Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

New Address/Server Coming to Batoto

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
109 replies to this topic

rifter

rifter

Potato Sprout

• Donator
  • 6 posts

Phew, when I first saw the redirect, I was expecting it was to run from the PoPo.  Thank goodness that can wait until another day for now.  Thanks, as always, for doing all this thankless work :wub:

Edited by rifter, 01 September 2014 - 08:45 AM.

Gappy

Gappy

Potato

• Contributor
  • 178 posts
  • LocationSouth American Jungle - Brazil

How much until I can post manga, Grumpy?

jqpyyw.png

"Yes, I'm a professional. I've been in three plane accidents, and survived them all."

Spoiler

MaayaHolic

MaayaHolic

Potato Sprout

• Contributor
  • 3 posts

It is true, how long can I upload episodes?   :(

Zero0mega

Zero0mega

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 19 posts
I support every move the head honcho does in this website. Good luck

Grumpy

Grumpy

RawR

• Administrators
  • 4,078 posts
  • LocationHere of course!

How much until I can post manga, Grumpy?

Errm.... Whoops. Forgot about it... T_T

You can upload now.

================================

There's been few down times recently and to be honest, not 100% sure why... I feel like it's the caching right now. But caches tend to wipe everything when you restart related services -- which seems to fix it temporarily. So, I'm lacking certainty/what to fix. Trying to monitor closely.

âš¡lightning07âš¡

âš¡lightning07âš¡

Potato

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • LocationParadise city where the grass is green and the girls are pretty.

You can upload now.

There's been few down times recently and to be honest, not 100% sure why... I feel like it's the caching right now. But caches tend to wipe everything when you restart related services -- which seems to fix it temporarily. So, I'm lacking certainty/what to fix. Trying to monitor closely.

You're awesome.
output_WD8IW0_zps24b345ad.gif
This amazing signature was made by Viscoun.

Gappy

Gappy

Potato

• Contributor
  • 178 posts

You can upload now.

Thanks! There's no chance of a major SNAFU, is there? You do have backups, right?

jqpyyw.png

"Yes, I'm a professional. I've been in three plane accidents, and survived them all."

Spoiler

Strike

Strike

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 50 posts

I hope so. Snafu isn't anywhere near as fun as it sounds.

I'd thought the new address was some sort of error, so this thread clears up a few concerns. xD

And on a completely unrelated note, Grumpy's picture makes me want to like his posts whenever I come across them. Should I be worried? O_o

Edited by Strike, 02 September 2014 - 06:05 AM.

PervySageChuck

PervySageChuck

Fried Potato

• Donator
  • 638 posts
  • LocationMonitoring my network of hidden cameras in your bedrooms and bathrooms!

I'd thought the new address was some sort of error, so this thread clears up a few concerns. xD

And on a completely unrelated note, Grumpy's picture makes me want to like his posts whenever I come across them. Should I be worried? O_o

No need to worry, my friend.  Just bend over, drop your pants and let Ol' Doc Grumpy fix your hemorrhoids for you!

*Approaches Strike from behind, removes fake "Grumpy" mask and unzips my pants.*

Spoiler

Edited by PervySageChuck, 02 September 2014 - 04:46 PM.

Always yield to temptation, it may not come your way again!

Thank you for your attention.
We now return you to your regularly scheduled manga, already in progress.

S.C.

S.C.

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,258 posts
  • LocationThe Epicenter of Indifference

There's been few down times recently and to be honest, not 100% sure why... I feel like it's the caching right now. 

*shrugs* Dunno if that has anything to do with it, but it seems japan has recently been DDosing everything foreign and even remotely anime/manga related lately. Because filthy gaijin pirates or something.

Posted Image

dahh

dahh

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • LocationStill here in front of the monitor, judging you.

Good. Manga preloader is a micro ddos cancer system.

LOL. no

It was even implemented on this site for a while, was turned off again anyway.

Edited by dahh, 02 September 2014 - 01:14 PM.

Halo

Halo

Potato

• Donator
  • 171 posts

LOL. no
It was even implemented on this site for a while, was turned off again anyway.

By this logic slavery is still a legit thing.

Batoto still preloads next page. But getting whole chapter at once is just waste of server resources.

Gappy

Gappy

Potato

• Contributor
  • 178 posts

By this logic slavery is still a legit thing.

Batoto still preloads next page. But getting whole chapter at once is just waste of server resources.

Why? I use an extension just for this.

HHAHAHAHA, snafu does sound funny!

jqpyyw.png

Spoiler

PervySageChuck

PervySageChuck

Fried Potato

• Donator
  • 638 posts
  • LocationMonitoring my network of hidden cameras in your bedrooms and bathrooms!

HHAHAHAHA, snafu does sound funny!

It sounds funny, but it is an old military acronym for "Situation Normal, All Fucked Up."  And believe me, I encountered enough situations like that in my Navy years to know that it definitely WAS NOT FUNNY!  It mostly involved extremely frustrating times when, due to either suddenly changed circumstances or problems with governmental bureaucracy, we couldn't get a job done!

Although I will admit that using this term in a joking way was at least a temporary way to alleviate the stress and frustration that we felt while having to deal with some very important and crucial missions that got screwed up due to outside forces which were primarily caused by the previously mentioned bureaucracy in the government.

Always yield to temptation, it may not come your way again!

Thank you for your attention.
We now return you to your regularly scheduled manga, already in progress.

Halo

Halo

Potato

• Donator
  • 171 posts

Because for a short period of time you alone can imitate up to 10 users. So theoretically you can cause difficulties for other 9 people who are trying to read a page.
Another example: when you open a chapter or volume but not reading it till the end - you essentially wasting bandwidth for nothing.

That's all pretty insignificant on an individual level, but with a huge user-base can be noticed. This is why youtube loads video by portions when you're actually watching it.

Edited by Halo, 02 September 2014 - 03:02 PM.

Gappy

Gappy

Potato

• Contributor
  • 178 posts

It sounds funny, but it is an old military acronym for "Situation Normal, All Fucked Up."  And believe me, I encountered enough situations like that in my Navy years to know that it definitely WAS NOT FUNNY!  It mostly involved extremely frustrating times when, due to either suddenly changed circumstances or problems with governmental bureaucracy, we couldn't get a job done!

Although I will admit that using this term in a joking way was at least a temporary way to alleviate the stress and frustration that we felt while having to deal with some very important and crucial missions that got screwed up due to outside forces which were primarily caused by the previously mentioned bureaucracy in the government.

I knew the meaning, but the acronym still sounds funny. You were in the navy? How cool!

Because for a short period of time you alone can imitate up to 10 users. So theoretically you can cause difficulties for other 9 people who are trying to read a page.
Another example: when you open a chapter or volume but not reading it till the end - you essentially wasting bandwidth for nothing.

That's all pretty insignificant on an individual level, but with a huge user-base can be noticed. This is why youtube loads video by portions when you're actually watching it.

I use it because it's the way I prefer to read manga, in a one strip format. I don't open up chapters not to read too, so I don't waste bandwidth. But the extension will be down for sometime, due to our server change recently.

jqpyyw.png

Spoiler

Halo

Halo

Potato

• Donator
  • 171 posts

I use it because it's the way I prefer to read manga, in a one strip format.

And by doing that you're not watching the ads for every page you should.

Couch Potato

• Retired Mods
  • 3,043 posts

The problem is that the system wasn't intended to be used in such a way. As a silly comparison, imagine a person who pretend to be mentally ill, commonly such a person would fake a disorder from the autism spectrum or depression, in order to claim benefits and live off the state. This would be possible, to a large extent because the majority modern psychology is hoax, but also because going after such abuse would likely damage the people with genuine mental illnesses. It's the same with chapter preloading  - Grumpy could set in place restrictions on the bandwidth, file requests and suchlike, but that will likely cause collateral damage to regular users too.

Besides, downloading a whole chapter defies the purpose of an online reader. You might as well just pull the chapter off some FTP or tracker and read it offline. Dedicated comic readers are better anyway. I understand that this is not easy nowadays with all the crazy stuff happening, but it's still worth the effort. If you absolutely must use Batoto to download your manga, I believe there are programs that intentionally trigger ads on every image.

Edited by 101010, 02 September 2014 - 03:56 PM.

The opinions expressed by this user are solely their own and do not express the views of Batoto and its staff.

Gappy

Gappy

Potato

• Contributor
  • 178 posts

And by doing that you're not watching the ads for every page you should.

B-b-but I still don't block them... I wouldn't mind if batoto made a workaround to display all ads in one page too. I even suggested the one strip format for reading normal manga natively. I just feel it's really better.

The problem is that the system wasn't intended to be used in such a way. As a silly comparison, imagine a person who pretend to be mentally ill, commonly such a person would fake a disorder from the autism spectrum or depression, in order to claim benefits and live off the state. This would be possible, to a large extent because the majority modern psychology is hoax, but also because going after such abuse would likely damage the people with genuine mental illnesses. It's the same with chapter preloading  - Grumpy could set in place restrictions on the bandwidth, file requests and suchlike, but that will likely cause collateral damage to regular users too.

Besides, downloading a whole chapter defies the purpose of an online reader. You might as well just pull the chapter off some FTP or tracker and read it offline. Dedicated comic readers are better anyway. I understand that this is not easy nowadays with all the crazy stuff happening, but it's still worth the effort. If you absolutely must use Batoto to download your manga, I believe there are programs that intentionally trigger ads on every image.

I don't think it does. Downloading requires a lot of work, and the extension I use also gets my baklog nicely organized, so I never get lost when coming back to read other stuff. And I didn't get your comparison.

jqpyyw.png

Spoiler

Halo

Halo

Potato

• Donator
  • 171 posts

B-b-but I still don't block them... I wouldn't mind if batoto made a workaround to display all ads in one page too. I even suggested the one strip format for reading normal manga natively. I just feel it's really better.

You're asking for a new reader, essentially: with javascript magic, smart preloading and ads refresh (because there's a limit for how many ads can be on a single page). Which is not a bad idea, but there's probably a reason why It can't/won't be done any time soon.