Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Japanese Government to Start Anti-Anime/Manga Piracy Operation Next Month

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

GreatNinja

GreatNinja

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 41 posts

Good bye guys lolol yeahy for korean and chinise manga i guess 

Migraine

Migraine

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts
Attached File  image.jpg   55.65KB   1 downloads

sparklemonster

sparklemonster

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts

Looking at the japantimes.co.jp link:

"As the popularity of Japanese-made animated movies and cartoons soars worldwide, thanks in part to the government’s effort to promote their export"

but mostly just because of scanlators and fansubbers

Edited by cleverusername, 31 July 2014 - 03:55 AM.

Zero0mega

Zero0mega

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 19 posts

Not again, I really enjoy reading manga online.  Please don't shut down this site I really don't want to use my sad puppy eyes.

Serajadeyn

Serajadeyn

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts

expect batoto to fold like a reed in the wind at the first sign or hint of a take down notice from someone trolling. they like to roll over oh so often on ecchi non-hentai manga whenever someone sneezes in their direction. I guess i should just start hopping back onto IRC and go back to downloading what i want to read since most of it will never get published in the states. Hell, Tokyopop folded and a lot of US licensing was lost but that won't stop the jap gov't from complaining because we should (obviously) just by the shit anyway even though i can't read JP and nobody's publishing it in english anymore.

Shrimpeh

Shrimpeh

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationCity of Legacia
this gonna be like onemanga all over again, huh?

Looking at the japantimes.co.jp link:
"As the popularity of Japanese-made animated movies and cartoons soars worldwide, thanks in part to the government’s effort to promote their export"

but mostly just because of scanlators and fansubbers

yeah,
they even lie abouf that,
iirc they didn't even want to export those things some years ago...

Lonely-signature.png

my ideal girl: nice, shy, beautiful, loyal, outgoing, half-traditonal, half modern,  preferably black hair or red hair, has a sense of humor, a little nerd-ish / otaku-ish. 

N33t

N33t

Fingerling Potato

• Contributor
  • 88 posts

So do you guys think this will only affect manga licensed in English? Or virtually ALL Japanese manga? Since strictly speaking their hosting here is illegal as well.

RedD-ragon

RedD-ragon

Potato Spud

• Validating
  • 12 posts

So do you guys think this will only affect manga licensed in English? Or virtually ALL Japanese manga? Since strictly speaking their hosting here is illegal as well.

It's All the fan-trans stuff hosted here that might being losing money for Japanese Publishing Companies that are supporting the iniative. (bribing the government.) expect the slightly smaller and more liberal ones to not be involved. Nether the less Expect all the stuff from Shueisha and Kondasha to go and that is a lot of big name series.

Edited by Daedrium, 31 July 2014 - 08:31 AM.

By the time you finish reading this,

you'll have forgotten who I am.

mionendy

mionendy

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

there's a list of i think 250 titles they will actively go after. pretty much the biggest and most popular titles. dcma takedown notice for each of those titles. it doesn't matter if it's licensed in the US or not, technically every scanlation on this site is in violation of copyright. 

deVacto

deVacto

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 17 posts

well i think piracy still win, irony? yes 

but piracy cant defeated, why there is piracy, cause the distributed, the sub and the other where hard to get from the other country

so they must expand it if they want to sell it

if it cant, yeah they must face piracy

btw

"see batoto on list" *gasp

if i can ask, what batoto team will do of this

Yaomo

Yaomo

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,757 posts
  • Locationwathcing you from some place far away
one day, the japanese might get as smart as the koreans. giving people their favorite series in english, online, is the only thing that will work. people won't have much reason to find other ways of piracy when a series is easily available and up to date from a legal source.
あっ ちょっと死んじまった

N33t

N33t

Fingerling Potato

• Contributor
  • 88 posts

It's All the fan-trans stuff hosted here that might being losing money for Japanese Publishing Companies that are supporting the iniative. (bribing the government.) expect the slightly smaller and more liberal ones to not be involved. Nether the less Expect all the stuff from Shueisha and Kondasha to go and that is a lot of big name series.

Is there a list of publishers that support this initiative somewhere?

mionendy

mionendy

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

one day, the japanese might get as smart as the koreans. giving people their favorite series in english, online, is the only thing that will work. people won't have much reason to find other ways of piracy when a series is easily available and up to date from a legal source.

theres a big difference though. those webtoons are meant to be free, and naver is using them to just draw people to their sites. japanese manga published in mags and then in tankobans are meant to be purchased (both the magazines and the volumes). obviously i love free stuff but it's unreasonable to demand it. and to be honest, while i dont really really like either site, kondansha (crunchyroll) and shuesha (jump) both have simulpubs of some of their more popular running series in english. i think honestly we just like free stuff, or are willing to pay so little (i want unlimited manga access for everything for only 1 dollar!!) that it might as well be free.

Edited by mionendy, 31 July 2014 - 10:07 AM.

Oliverfr

Oliverfr

Potato

• Members
  • 134 posts

Or, open a second Batoto site for the content DMCA'ed from Batoto.net ?

There would be Batoto.net for the main stuff, and Pototo.net (I like the pun :D ) for the stuff that has been removed. In five years, when Japan launches a new campaign, it will be time to launch Botato.net.

Edited by Oliverfr, 31 July 2014 - 11:40 AM.

TheJoanne

TheJoanne

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

I'm so sad about this. Batoto is one of the few manga hosters that don't actually profit! They pass advertising revenue to scanners who then (hopefully) use it to provide more scans. I hate this so much. But luckily there don't seem to scanner sites on the list - I'm going to have to just start visiting the sites personally. 

This is why living in South Africa sucks. I doubt Japan knows we EXIST as a country, so no manga gets here except via the USA and then it is the POS versions that get rid of honourifics which make my blood boil, and often only the first few volumes (or inexplicably only the 2nd volume), and cost a fortune since they are imported from a country that knows we exist (barely) but only cos "there was this thing there once" and "oh they are the ones with the gold and Mandela". So no way to actually get manga here except through the internet. And they wonder why people breach their copyright...

EDITED: Also, can we all just lol at the fact that Youtube is gonna get caught in the crackdown, yet their little movie on that MAG site is hosted there? Hypocrisy, thy name is Japan

2nd EDIT: Any they can't even be bothered to go and make new footage of the characters saying "thank you"?! Just cannabalise the shows and mangas themselves! Too much effort and money to actually thank people for using our crappy site...

Edited by TheJoanne, 31 July 2014 - 12:11 PM.

Viscero

Viscero

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Or, open a second Batoto site for the content DMCA'ed from Batoto.net ?

There would be Batoto.net for the main stuff, and Pototo.net (I like the pun :D ) for the stuff that has been removed. In five years, when Japan launches a new campaign, it will be time to launch Botato.net.

How about Potato.net instead? Ba dum tss.

"Everybody needs a friend"

23fmg.png

dadoc84

dadoc84

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

Hello everyone, it's my first post here but i'm kinda lurking since a long time.

I'm kinda interested by what's being said in the files posted earlier by Rukene.

Can someone make a quick translation please ?

It's the first post of the 2nd page of the topic I didn't find the way to quote it.

Edited by dadoc84, 31 July 2014 - 12:43 PM.

Yaomo

Yaomo

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,757 posts
  • Locationwathcing you from some place far away

theres a big difference though. those webtoons are meant to be free, and naver is using them to just draw people to their sites. japanese manga published in mags and then in tankobans are meant to be purchased (both the magazines and the volumes). obviously i love free stuff but it's unreasonable to demand it. and to be honest, while i dont really really like either site, kondansha (crunchyroll) and shuesha (jump) both have simulpubs of some of their more popular running series in english. i think honestly we just like free stuff, or are willing to pay so little (i want unlimited manga access for everything for only 1 dollar!!) that it might as well be free.

Those webtoons are meant to be made money on. There's more than enough that you'll have to pay to view, unless you get a pirated copy. We have gotten an app for free, but that's probably jist a way of limiting piracy while they figure out how to make money on us too. they'll also need more content before there's much point in making us pay for their webtoons.

you can get digital copies of lots of japanese manga, but they'll all end up being scanlated for free for all readers outside japan until they can just start realizing that a whole lot of people would use legal sources of they got it for a reasonable price in a language they can understand. i'd pay the normal price for shounen jump if i could get the content on the day it's released. wouldn't be more expensive than smoking, and is a less damaging habit. paying monthly for access to a website with even more series would be ok too even if there are some limitations.
あっ ちょっと死んじまった

Crouching Bacon

Crouching Bacon

Fried Potato

• Donator
  • 528 posts

I wonder how manhwa publishers and mangakas feel about this.

Does anybody think they'll follow suit soon if Japan makes this a reality?

Posted Image "Don't make me ship you!"

S.C.

S.C.

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,258 posts
  • LocationThe Epicenter of Indifference

I wonder how manhwa publishers and mangakas feel about this.

Does anybody think they'll follow suit soon if Japan makes this a reality?

Nothing's gonna happen. With the sole exception of Batoto, none of those sites are even gonna give a shit.

Furthermore, this whole thing is literally nothing but a publicity stunt. A pretty pathetic one at that. You can tell by how poorly they designed that website.

Edited by S.C., 31 July 2014 - 05:43 PM.

Posted Image