Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Ending Discussion **SPOILERS**

End Spoilers Discussion

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Noname Otakugami

Noname Otakugami

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 13 posts

Meh... I've seen worse, but I've seen way better.

This seemed kind of rushed or purposely open ended.

Rasu-kun

Rasu-kun

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 7 posts

I'm normally one to cite artistic freedom, but the fact that we got no kiss after 200 chapters of character development is, to put it mildly, total fucking bullshit. 

I AM UNAPOLOGETIC FOR WANTING A KISS. I WANT SOME CLOSURE DAMMIT

Yui_Chibi

Yui_Chibi

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 7 posts

NOT.EVEN.ONE.SIMPLE.KISS!!!  for all that we know, Adachi might be an alien and Shinagawa is her studies subject in her "how to make people suffer the most" studies, at the Dark Side of Moon University OTL

tho if this helps some, Yoshikawa Miki said in an interview:

Yoshikawa: "Ah, that. I thought long and hard about it, but revealing Hana’s secrets would have lowered her appeal, I believed. Not only that, but if Shinagawa focused on that, it would have limited his high school experience. I felt it was too early for the cast to be doing things more appropriate for adults, and not what I wanted to focus on. I know it was selfish of me, but I hope there are those out there who will understand." 

Interviwer: (Laughs) Readers have postulated many ideas, like maybe her parents are crime lords, but there’s no telling so the ideas get pretty crazy. Someone once said they were stuck in some magical world.

Yoshikawa: Aha ha ha! Let’s just say it’s possible, huh? (Laughs) I just wanted her to remain mysterious. It was a big draw for her character, and perpetuates the idea that women are incomprehendable.

here is the link to the interview if u wanna read more about what she said: http://mahouxscans.wordpress.com/2013/02/03/yoshikawa-interview/

Edited by Yui_Chibi, 23 March 2014 - 12:03 AM.

atheus

atheus

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 9 posts

The  most telling is this comment:

Interviwer: You did write a background for her, though, didn’t you?

Yoshikawa: Maybe. (Laughs)

If She had written a really neat background that was worth having her vanish from the story completely, she'd probably want to show us that fascinating epiphany. This just stinks of desperation. Failing to explain why the main supporting character vanished isn't adding to the feminine mystery of said character, it's adding to the mystery of why this author got hired on for another series.

makoz

makoz

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

We've got an epilogue with the future of everyone, but we cannot get a conclusion to the start of the story...that's just so bad  :angry:

Sogno-

Sogno-

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 469 posts

Failing to explain why the main supporting character vanished isn't adding to the feminine mystery of said character, it's adding to the mystery of why this author got hired on for another series.

seriously, what's with the wanting to keep her "mysterious"? Nobody wanted that! i absolutely cannot comprehend why she thought that. Though as she said she probably had a background laid out... I'd rather her have put that in than two volumes of him studying. I mean that was cool, but I would have liked it added in with , you know,  the main female lead

*sigh* what's done is done i guess. thanks for the link, yui_chibi!

lol roll lol

josh25

josh25

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 13 posts

Kay, everyone's using the explanation that Shinagawa is insae and hallucinating.  I propose two alternative theories,

A) Maybe Adachi is the crazy one, we always knew she had a slightly insane mind with no regard for convention and just generally being weird.  Maybe that's why she elected to do high school again, like the guy from Sumire 16 Sai.  That's also a  reason why the family keeps her secret craziness under raps and does not want her to go to school or anything.  Notice how she pretty much needed to escape from her home to be housed with the old lady?

B)  This one also stems from Sumire 16 Sai, she is actually she is actually the reincarnation of a ghost which can never graduate and she mentally haunts the people who meet her, as well as physically haunting Shinagawa.  Which is why no one can ever get her out of their mind and why everyone is enamored by her.

maffa

maffa

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • Locationitaly

And here we go again.

I have seen this scene lots of times: orphan readers, deprived of any closure, trying to cope with the author's lazyness and doing the work in his/her stead and put an end or a sense in something that hasnt and will never have. Mass Effect, Lost, and all the unconclusive mangas me you and them have read in all these years, including those awful "harem ending" one day God will one day make justice of, just name your own.

I have seen it plenty of times, and every and each time i pitied us and blame heavily on the authors that simply have no respect for those who have emotionally invested so much in their creative work. And then they just bail out because they check is cashed and they cant care less -or they enjoy the power of making people feel bad because they can: i know that power all too well, i used to feel it when i was a dungeon master back in my day and i just loved see the people i ruled the world for squirm under my power. No one liked me being a GM, including me. No one like arseholes. 

So yes, dear mangaka, you have the power to have us wondering for the rest of our life who the fuck Adachi Hana was. Enjoy the uproar: yes it's because of you. 

Also, fuck you. 

Now that i know you are *that kind* of author i will make well sure not to touch anything you do. 

((for everybody's reference this video is about Mass Effect ending and explains why closure is so important, and why writers should not screw up with it. Also, i does so in such a way that it will make you feel smarter so that your eyebrows will lift automatically, a smug smile will be drawn on your face, and a magical Romeo y Julieta sigar will appear on your hand.))

Edited by maffa, 23 March 2014 - 10:00 AM.

LuxFerre

LuxFerre

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

WUT? WUT?! WUT?!?! WTF?!?!?!?!?!

hellsing876

hellsing876

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 9 posts

i feel cheated out of the adaichi ending :(

mailna

mailna

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 8 posts

Well, that was the shittiest ending I have ever read. And I've read thousands of manga  :mad:

And what makes me wonder even more is how idiot is the editor that gave the ok to such shitty ending, seriously...  :huh:

This mangaka is at the top of my black list now, I was also interested in "Yamada and the 7 Witches" but until it ends and I confirm the ending is not as shitty as this one I won't even start it.

maffa

maffa

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • Locationitaly

Well, that was the shittiest ending I have ever read. And I've read thousands of manga  :mad:

And what makes me wonder even more is how idiot is the editor that gave the ok to such shitty ending, seriously...  :huh:

This mangaka is at the top of my black list now, I was also interested in "Yamada and the 7 Witches" but until it ends and I confirm the ending is not as shitty as this one I won't even start it.

You can read Yamada till the end of the first arc. Youll know when you hit it. The second has just begun but i dont want to be there when she grows bored o fit and give us another mid finger.

Lapan

Lapan

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 14 posts

It reminds me a lot of Shaman Kings ending, but at least they had the decency to write a real ending later

Fnors

Fnors

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts

Shaman King just sort of stopped before the ending. It had the feeling of being unfinished, not of having a crappy ending.

If anything, this ending made me remember how I felt with 666 Satan's ending. I had hoped to never feel that way again. :\

kaiserseele

kaiserseele

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

Shaman King just sort of stopped before the ending. It had the feeling of being unfinished, not of having a crappy ending.

If anything, this ending made me remember how I felt with 666 Satan's ending. I had hoped to never feel that way again. :\

666 Satans ending wasn't even close to being as disappointing as this one

at least there there was a sense of closure even if it was destroy all magic as i remember i may be wrong 

RedRuM

RedRuM

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 30 posts

Absolutely terrible ending. It's rare that an ending can make you regret even bothering with a story you previously enjoyed but this one did it for me.

The author gives closure to every single character except the two you really cared about. Not only that it made Shinagawa look like an idiot for trying so hard to get into tono-u. Then it literally resets their relationship to what it was at the start of the manga, with Adachi showing up looking exactly the same even though 4 years have passed (back in high-school when she's in her twenties, really? Wtf was she doing for the last 4 years?). I didn't even care about Adachi's past or her family, I just wanted some closure on her relationship with Shinagawa, maybe even a kiss (which he won't get for years now that he's her teacher).

What a waste of time.

Shock me awake, tear me apart

TERO

TERO

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 42 posts

I'm hoping the series ended this way because it got axed or something, and not that this was meant to be the ending.

It seems like the ghost theory about Adachi fits the ending, but then what was all the other information on Adachi for!?

- Adachi calling some tough people to find and save Shinagawa in the streets,

- Adachi fighting Shinagawa and others in her middle school days, etc.

I thought her family were yakuza (despite the weird family treatment of her younger brother) and they wanted her to succeed the family! I would've even bought that she ended up dropping out of high school despite her student council contributions because of her terrible grades (not because she mysteriously dropped out), so even if Tono U accepted her, the school wouldn't let her graduate (and thus she couldn't enroll in university). Although, not that this would ever happen since the series ended, I'd prefer the case where her disappearance was related to the yakuza and not poor grades (dropping out like that is just too sad given all her efforts).

Well, for the ghost ending, I guess you could argue that all the stuff in her past did happen, but when she first entered high school, she had an accident, died, and came to haunt the school. But really, the ghost theory can't explain away her interactions with people.

On another note, MyAnimeList (MAL) says there are 219 chapters for this series.

Are those counting chapter extras that have nothing to do with the story, or is MAL's info wrong?

Interviwer: (Laughs) Readers have postulated many ideas, like maybe her parents are crime lords, but there’s no telling so the ideas get pretty crazy. Someone once said they were stuck in some magical world.

Yoshikawa: Aha ha ha! Let’s just say it’s possible, huh? (Laughs) I just wanted her to remain mysterious. It was a big draw for her character, and perpetuates the idea that women are incomprehensible.

Wow. The author is a jerk. I really thought the draw for Adachi's character was that she was direct in the way she approached problems, and this usually led to hilarious situations (which, of course, disappeared when she disappeared). Her background was "mysterious" but Adachi herself was not, in my opinion.

Edited by TERO, 02 May 2014 - 11:37 PM.

PariahDog

PariahDog

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

An ending like this is a frequent problem with such long running manga. The author is expected to write chapters ad infinitum or until the moment (s)he's told to knit an ending into it (in a relatively low number of chapters). My guess is that the content of all of the chapters except for the last two was planned, except for Adachi's disappearance. Adachi was meant to disappear, but Shinagawa was also meant to get her back again in time to attend Tono-U. From that point on, the manga would have continued with their university lives.

A few things that hint to this: (1) Shinagawa was supposed to "confess" to Adachi, which got completely ignored. In fact, the whole rival got completely ignored (this might be an early indication of cancellation?), (2) There are several characters who were introduced for the university storyline, but they never made a comeback (except for that 1 panel on the "genius 4" thing). Especially that girl whose name I forgot that told Shinagawa to copy her answers was never used again, and (3) the other girls that fell for him were never properly explored (in fact, it feels like romance was never intended for this manga, let alone the quasi-harem feel it ended up getting mid-way through).

The ending is mediocre. The whole "Adachi is mysterious" thing just doesn't pass. There's also no question why the manga got canned. The progression was just by far too slow. Having to wait one week for a dozen page of nothing makes you lose readers. The story is not bad, but only if you don't have to wait in between chapters.

What the writer wants us to believe, right now, is that Shinagawa wouldn't make a fuss about Adachi leaving, and finds the conclusion of "oh, we don't know where she lives" sufficient. This goes against the character building of Shinagawa taking place during the entire manga. Is Shinagawa the kind of guy who'd just feel miserable and do nothing for 4 (!!) whole years?

In conclusion: the mangaka never intended for the manga to end this soon, and for some reason couldn't think of a better ending than one that would demolish 209 chapters worth of a good story.

Namorax

Namorax

Fingerling Potato

• Validating
  • 62 posts

Yeah, all in all it was a huge disappointment. Either the author wanted to wrap things up because the ball was no longer rolling or because the rating dropped too much. My money is on the latter...

Once "Yamada & the 7 Witches" is finished I'll give it a try in the hopes that this time we get a proper ending out of the story. An author can screw up once, but twice? I hope not...

Sogno-

Sogno-

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 469 posts

yeah i'll only read 7 witches once it is done and i know for sure it at least has a decent ending.. 'cuz i really liked this mangaka's art and story development. it was just the last what, 1-2 volumes? that just kinda lost it

lol roll lol