Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Tokyo Ghoul Anime is coming out!

news anime

• Please log in to reply
664 replies to this topic

maplecat89

maplecat89

Potato

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationUK

i wonder if :re touka really visited hide in the hospital?

Jassim Al-Madeh

Jassim Al-Madeh

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationBahrain

That's possible.

Ishida's previous draft is connected to many things already.

Can't decide

Old McDonald

Old McDonald

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 850 posts

That's possible.

Ishida's previous draft is connected to many things already.

"previous draft"? Do you mean the anime draft?

The draft was evidently (almost) completely discarded after ep1.

Layemou

Layemou

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 25 posts

I wonder what are Ishida's thoughts about the anime.

Acernos

Acernos

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 283 posts

what really bothered me in the anime was like softened the way and the things Kaneki did, in the manga we saw that he tortured, threatened, lied to get information, killed more than 50 ghouls in one night just because they did not respect life, killed and ate flawed half-ghouls from Kanou.

we feel and we saw all the shit that Kaneki did and how the path he chose was destructive, but in the anime he just did emo face most of the time, the anime could have at least shown some similar things.

for real? that lack of respect for Ishida...

Edited by Acernos, 26 March 2015 - 06:48 PM.

quitecontrary

quitecontrary

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 40 posts

Do we have actual confirmation that Ishida's draft was discarded? Like, has it been explicitly (semi-explicitly, okay) stated anywhere? I've been looking for anything of the kind and aside from really minor changes the Pierrot announced on their twitter, I haven't been able to find a thing. If you have some other sources, I'd appreciate it a lot if you share. This talk about initial draft has been driving me insane with curiousity, tbh.

Edited by quitecontrary, 27 March 2015 - 06:06 AM.

Old McDonald

Old McDonald

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 850 posts

Do we have actual confirmation that Ishida's draft was discarded? Like, has it been explicitly (semi-explicitly, okay) stated anywhere? I've been looking for anything of the kind and aside from really minor changes the Pierrot announced on their twitter, I haven't been able to find a thing. If you have some other sources, I'd appreciate it a lot if you share. This talk about initial draft has been driving me insane with curiousity, tbh.

Oh, come on. Just take a look at the CM, the second PV and the images they have been posting on the anime twitter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huP8Di1rbS0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2DObpz2174

https://twitter.com/tkg_anime/media

Ishida's draft contained three arcs, not two: A Cochlea arc (which is more part of the transition and probably should have been handled in one episode), a Kanou arc and an Anteiku arc (they haven't published any image showing parts of that arc, but I think this is a safe guess).

There's almost no relation between anime and draft. Actually, the relation of the anime to the manga is much closer than the relation to the draft. The whole plot was made up by the anime staff after ep1. Them insisting they made this season according to Ishida's draft just makes me think they're trying to take me for a fool.

Edited by Old McDonald, 27 March 2015 - 02:35 PM.

quitecontrary

quitecontrary

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 40 posts

@Old McDonald

Thanks!

Acernos

Acernos

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 283 posts

Oh, come on. Just take a look at the CM, the second PV and the images they have been posting on the anime twitter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huP8Di1rbS0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2DObpz2174

https://twitter.com/tkg_anime/media

Ishida's draft contained three arcs, not two: A Cochlea arc (which is more part of the transition and probably should have been handled in one episode), a Kanou arc and an Anteiku arc (they haven't published any image showing parts of that arc, but I think this is a safe guess).

There's almost no relation between anime and draft. Actually, the relation of the anime to the manga is much closer than the relation to the draft. The whole plot was made up by the anime staff after ep1. Them insisting they made this season according to Ishida's draft just makes me think they're trying to take me for a fool.

so basically this whole season was a filler.  cool, hope that those who said full of arrogance that this season was so canon as the manga are suffering.

Tias

Tias

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 43 posts

The problem is that studio pierrot animated the show. That is literally, where everything went wrong. I first found out a while ago after I started to search for information about them. Apparently they are notorious for often butchering the quality and making changes to drafts and etc.

I mean take a look at this

http://theshortbusrider.tumblr.com/post/77989476512/lets-play-which-screen-shot-is-from-studio

http://www.funnyjunk.com/channel/bendingtime/Studio+pierrot+never+forget/hTvxGuG

And from what I can see, a lot of people are actually complaining about the quality and animation. Considering just how popular Tokyo ghoul is, and how it seems like its popularity is still rising. I have a faint hope that we will perhaps get a remake at some point or some OVA's. Tokyo ghoul REALLY deserves a much better studio to animate it. SP just can't do it any justice at all = /

Old McDonald

Old McDonald

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 850 posts

The problem is that studio pierrot animated the show. That is literally, where everything went wrong. I first found out a while ago after I started to search for information about them. Apparently they are notorious for often butchering the quality and making changes to drafts and etc.

I mean take a look at this

http://theshortbusrider.tumblr.com/post/77989476512/lets-play-which-screen-shot-is-from-studio

http://www.funnyjunk.com/channel/bendingtime/Studio+pierrot+never+forget/hTvxGuG

And from what I can see, a lot of people are actually complaining about the quality and animation. Considering just how popular Tokyo ghoul is, and how it seems like its popularity is still rising. I have a faint hope that we will perhaps get a remake at some point or some OVA's. Tokyo ghoul REALLY deserves a much better studio to animate it. SP just can't do it any justice at all = /

The most important thing is NOT the studio. It only matters for animation quality.

Everything else mostly depends on the director and scriptwriter. They are usually not permanently employed at the studios. If you have a bad director and scriptwriter, you get a bad anime, the studio doesn't matter.

Tias

Tias

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 43 posts

I've still read that SP is notorious for fucking other things up than just the animation so yeah, I'm gonna push this on them.
I hope from the bottom of my heart that studio Bones, Madhouse or another GOOD studio gets the chance to make a reboot. A lot of people are tired of SP.

Edited by Tias, 28 March 2015 - 12:49 AM.

Ade_S

Ade_S

Potato

• Members
  • 122 posts

I've still read that SP is notorious for fucking other things up than just the animation so yeah, I'm gonna push this on them.
I hope from the bottom of my heart that studio madhouse or another GOOD studio gets the chance to make a reboot. A lot of people are tired of SP.

They did a good work for Yona, also they making Diamond no Ace. Those are good shows, with the information OM has presented we can assume the fault was the scriptwriter. If SP makes a remake of S2 (as they are the only ones who can do it for copyrights issues) and if they can get a better scriptwriter the final product can be more decent.

I'm curious for the OVA's staff.

Old McDonald

Old McDonald

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 850 posts

They did a good work for Yona, also they making Diamond no Ace. Those are good shows, with the information OM has presented we can assume the fault was the scriptwriter. If SP makes a remake of S2 (as they are the only ones who can do it for copyrights issues) and if they can get a better scriptwriter the final product can be more decent.

I'm curious for the OVA's staff.

I no longer believe it was mainly the scriptwriter's fault. He's no good, too, but this season's adaptation was consistently so wrong that I think the main culprit was probably the director (Morita). The scriptwriter actually should not have the authority to completely discard Ishida's draft, and the series composition was so wrong that it couldn't happen unnoticed by the director (otherwise he isn't doing his job). There are also some hints sprinkled here and there that Morita might have instructed the scriptwriter to systematically cut Kaneki's lines to make him different. Though in Morita's case, I think it's not a lack in ability, but a lack in humility. Maybe Morita was trying to show off his direction skills at the expense of the story and failed hard.

Both the director and the scriptwriter have to change if they ever make a new season. (Morita as an episode director would be great, though.)

Alys

Alys

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 355 posts

Here's an album someone compiled of all the draft pictures from the twitter. Makes it a little easier to look through.

http://imgur.com/a/DW1C2

But yeah, now that I've actually looked at all of the draft pictures they've posted here so far, it seems there was supposed to be some more focus on Kaneki in Aogiri, and just Aogiri's side in general. I see a couple of pictures of Kaneki seemingly bonding with Ayato and Naki in there. Kaneki looks cheerful in the scene with Naki writing Yamori's name too, yet they made Kaneki so apathetic/depressed in the anime. What's up with that?

Also, is it just me or does Cochlea's structure look different in the anime?

Jassim Al-Madeh

Jassim Al-Madeh

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationBahrain

Spoiler

Would this image be for a grown up Kaneki character in his 20s?

I'm afraid this images says enough about it:

tumblr_inline_nda0v1l35q1r54bmf.png

Can't decide

Club Nine

Club Nine

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • LocationNot Telling ~(°^°~}

Spoiler
Would this image be for a grown up Kaneki character in his 20s?I'm afraid this images says enough about it:tumblr_inline_nda0v1l35q1r54bmf.png

Nah. I think it's the current shironeki and was just there for the sake of feels.

Old McDonald

Old McDonald

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 850 posts

Also, is it just me or does Cochlea's structure look different in the anime?

Yes, they didn't get Cochlea right, too. Ishida's draft makes it clear that Cochlea has an SSS level. In the anime, that level doesn't exist, even though Ishida summarized Cochlea's layout on two or three pages.

And yeah, the Naki-Kaneki scene was also adapted badly. Kaneki is talking there an awful lot in that scene in Ishida's draft. They cut all his lines.

As I said, there are hints that Kaneki's characterization was changed deliberately on the director's orders. Hanae (Kaneki's VA) mentioned in an interview (from memory, I don't have a copy of that interview anymore) that Morita told him "the Kaneki in Ishida's alternate route is different from the one in the original work". That's evidently not the case in Ishida's draft, but Morita's statement implies that these changes in Kaneki's characterization were deliberate and not an accident.

Jassim Al-Madeh

Jassim Al-Madeh

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationBahrain

Thinking about how odd things go in the anime will only give us headache.

Thank everyone who give us those facts and details.

I only remembered now about the interview; haven't gotten it yet; hope it's not too late now. ^_^

Can't decide

maplecat89

maplecat89

Potato

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationUK

Thinking about how odd things go in the anime will only give us headache.

Thank everyone who give us those facts and details.

I only remembered now about the interview; haven't gotten it yet; hope it's not too late now. ^_^

let's just pretend TGA never exist