Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Wis VS INT

the gamer stats

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Ninjacat Dude

Ninjacat Dude

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 50 posts

Hey all, I'm a little confused, I never played to many online games before,

what is the difference between wisdom and intelegence? I know in one game

I looked up int gave you mana and wis gave you SP, but what

about normally....and here, I believe his wisdom stat is his lowest (or was it luck?)

Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.

Nikola Tesla

Agonal

Agonal

Potato

• Members
  • 174 posts
Varies. My personal philosophy is int is knowing and wis is doing. Or as morpheus says, " the difference between knowing and walking the path."

Most games i have played int is for damage and wis is for mana.

Others, like D&D, int is for skill points (like lockpicking, traps, sneak, etc) and wisdom is generally your application of what we consider intelligence, and is generally associated with dialogue and/or events. (doing the right thing when it needs done, saying the right thing, etc. )

Some classes receive bonuses from wisdom. D&D paladin and monk or examples of this. (Or was paladin charisma? I cant recall)

magnificent

magnificent

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 24 posts

I posted part of this in "how should jee-han use his points"

WIS is typically associated with common sense or being able to infer things. in D&D it affects skills like spot, listen, heal, sense motive, profession, and survival. As a player playing a D&D character I come to conclusions using my own senses with the help of some rolls that may reveal the info. Even if I reveal something with a good roll, as the player I still have to my my own deductions often enough. Jee-han's role is now character and player so I don't think WIS will be nearly as helpful as INT. In D&D INT affects Knowledge skills, crafting, appraise, disable device, forgery, and spellcraft. If Jee-han is making his own inferences as the player I feel WIS will be less valuable.

Varies. My personal philosophy is int is knowing and wis is doing. Or as morpheus says, " the difference between knowing and walking the path."

Most games i have played int is for damage and wis is for mana.

Others, like D&D, int is for skill points (like lockpicking, traps, sneak, etc) and wisdom is generally your application of what we consider intelligence, and is generally associated with dialogue and/or events. (doing the right thing when it needs done, saying the right thing, etc. )

Some classes receive bonuses from wisdom. D&D paladin and monk or examples of this. (Or was paladin charisma? I cant recall)

Paladin used Charisma (force of personality and also good looks went along with it).

If we use your example of WIS is doing it/applying knowledge then INT is more valuable because the knowledge will allow Jee-han more choices even without WIS. That would make it seem like WIS would give him pop ups about certain choices he would make like learning that contradictory chunbomoon technique.

Agonal

Agonal

Potato

• Members
  • 174 posts

The author is selectively foreshadowing by showing us only certain times Jee-han uses his observe skill. Same with the level displays. I would have taken a walk through my local town to check out townspeople for comparison to find out about anyone else with hidden levels and then maybe connect the dots. The author seems to be eluding enough to his mom is special etc that I do not think he will troll us and say she is only like lvl 10 but was <??> for some unknown reason.

Taken from another one of your posts in another topic. And it is exactly what i was inferring to: All the intelligence and skills in the under the sun, but not living up to its potential without the sense to use it. That is wisdom, and it is just as valuable as intelligence.

I posted part of this in "how should jee-han use his points"
   If we use your example of WIS is doing it/applying knowledge then INT is more valuable because the knowledge will allow Jee-han more choices even without WIS. That would make it seem like WIS would give him pop ups about certain choices he would make like learning that contradictory chunbomoon technique.

Wisdom is what gives you those choices because it is applying your knowledge. Without wisdom you wouldnt know that all the choices were applicable. Does that make sense?

Anyways, i dont think that the author makes a good enough distinction between the two, either. An example is in ch 19. I would attest his improvement on his mana bolt to be a result of wisdom, and not intelligence. But we infer that it is intelligence based because he recently pumped the stat some forty points.

NoxDancer

NoxDancer

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 22 posts

In Elder Scrolls Oblivion intelligence increased magica, (mana) and wisdom increased magica regen, I wonder if the gamer would have a similar system...

Edited by NoxDancer, 11 January 2014 - 05:26 AM.

magnificent

magnificent

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 24 posts

If you have no knowledge then how can you make proper decisions without knowing the facts? He used his own wisdom based on game experiences not relying on WIS points. That's what I have been referring to. His wisdom as a player and not a character WIS. His gamer ability/status muddles the two but they are still different.

Your character in a game may have stats like WIS etc. but you still control the character. A character may have a high WIS stat but if you don't choose to apply that or use related skills then it still does no good to you. You can still make bad choices even for your character even if it had its own mind it would not do that.

Ninjacat Dude

Ninjacat Dude

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 50 posts

right now he's experimenting, but I really think he should put some points on wis, partially

because I'm curious what it'll do. Wis could be mana regain or it chould be SP and make

his skills require less mana.

Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.

Nikola Tesla

magnificent

magnificent

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 24 posts

Typically WIS governs healing power like clerics in D&D. However to learn the skill that Jee-Han used to heal sun-Il, WIS was not required so I feel the author is downplaying its importance compared to other mediums. Just re-read and noticed that. There may be something later that WIS may be important for. I have sneaking suspicion that WIS may be linked to crafting, since neither has been shown yet.

Heretic

Heretic

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 39 posts

Intelligence is how much knowledge you have.

Wisdom is your ability to apply that knowledge.

Hence you can have a wise idiot, and a dumb genius.

In a nutshell street smarts vs book smarts.

bkaa22

bkaa22

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 219 posts
At this point we still don't know what WIS influences so it is hard to make a judgement especially since Jee-Han seems to be alright despite only having a WIS of 6. Even his friend who is at level 29 only has a WIS of 14. I remember when he first ran out of mana he opened his Stats and touched the mana bar. He found out that he recovered mana at a rate of 1 point per minute. He gained additional information by pressing on the icons. It might be possible for him to get more information on his stats by pressing them. It might tell him what those stats do for him.

Jonnylove

Jonnylove

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 83 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

He should save up 10 points, and put them in wisdom all at once, to see what it does. If he increases his wisdom gradually, he might not notice the affects.

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas remain humane.--Kilgore Trout

ff8otaku

ff8otaku

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

Why not an exact quotation of the d20srd.org site for dnd?

Intelligence (Int)

Intelligence determines how well your character learns and reasons. This ability is important for wizards because it affects how many spells they can cast, how hard their spells are to resist, and how powerful their spells can be. It’s also important for any character who wants to have a wide assortment of skills.

Wisdom (Wis)

Wisdom describes a character’s willpower, common sense, perception, and intuition. While Intelligence represents one’s ability to analyze information, Wisdom represents being in tune with and aware of one’s surroundings. Wisdom is the most important ability for clerics and druids, and it is also important for paladins and rangers. If you want your character to have acute senses, put a high score in Wisdom. Every creature has a Wisdom score.

That has effect on different game mechanics. INT is most importent for Wizards, because they need it to learn the magic by studying. Druids, clerics, monks, ranchers using WIS (monk's can't use spells), because it's a mix of devine magic, learning without studying, seeing his own mind in the whole.

Sorcerers, bards and stupid paladins are using CHA. The sorcerer already has the magic in hisself. He just develop his skills. Sry, I just don't know the link to CHA xD Maybe it's the aura, that the person submit, has to be in harmony with his skills? But I'm drifting away from the topic.

My result: INT is the skill to learn knowledge and WIS the selfawareness of the mind in the universe xD

Agonal

Agonal

Potato

• Members
  • 174 posts
Monks get a bonus to armor class with wisdom. Important for them. Because they dont get armor like other classes. ;)

Good idea posting a source ^_^

bkaa22

bkaa22

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 219 posts

Earlier Jee-Han was wondering about his future on what he would do with his life. Raising his INT would be beneficial since he is only an average student. If he becomes a better student he could go to a better University and get a better job. But Jee-Han doesn't know where to apply his skills to best fit a possible future since he doesn't know what he wants to do. Since WIS gives increased insight and guides how you should think, it would be best for Jee-Han to have a high INT and mid WIS. Maybe to get the best balance in intelligence and the best way to apply it his WIS should be half of his INT. 

Ninjacat Dude

Ninjacat Dude

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 50 posts

Earlier Jee-Han was wondering about his future on what he would do with his life. Raising his INT would be beneficial since he is only an average student. If he becomes a better student he could go to a better University and get a better job. But Jee-Han doesn't know where to apply his skills to best fit a possible future since he doesn't know what he wants to do. Since WIS gives increased insight and guides how you should think, it would be best for Jee-Han to have a high INT and mid WIS. Maybe to get the best balance in intelligence and the best way to apply it his WIS should be half of his INT. 

I agree, because the way his ability seems to work is while actually USING the abiliy it functions as though he is a

game character, but once he's in the real world, at school, whereever, they seem to imply that it continues to affect

him. wis and int do certain things in games, but those are the two skills that are most likely to have a positive efect

on his overall life.

of course, as they mentioned a few chapters ago, he could increase strength, agility and stamina and dominate a sport, going

through life that way. He said that he's not sure what he wants to do with his life, so int and wis are definitely his best option,

because they will allow him to make better decisions whatever he chooses.

Nikola Tesla

bkaa22

bkaa22

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 219 posts

I agree, because the way his ability seems to work is while actually USING the abiliy it functions as though he is a

game character, but once he's in the real world, at school, whereever, they seem to imply that it continues to affect

him. wis and int do certain things in games, but those are the two skills that are most likely to have a positive efect

on his overall life.

of course, as they mentioned a few chapters ago, he could increase strength, agility and stamina and dominate a sport, going

through life that way. He said that he's not sure what he wants to do with his life, so int and wis are definitely his best option,

because they will allow him to make better decisions whatever he chooses.

A little off topic but your last paragraph about dominating a sport made me think of this. If he started using a bow and received a Ranged Weapons Mastery skill, combined with his Blunt Weapons Skill, and a few points in STR and DEX . . . how do you think he would do at baseball?

Ninjacat Dude

Ninjacat Dude

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 50 posts

A little off topic but your last paragraph about dominating a sport made me think of this. If he started using a bow and received a Ranged Weapons Mastery skill, combined with his Blunt Weapons Skill, and a few points in STR and DEX . . . how do you think he would do at baseball?

yeah, I could certainly see that happening, though I don't think baseball is that big in Korea. I think fighting sports are the

big thing there, after all their national sport is Korean Karate (not tai kwan do, tai kwan do is a dummed down version of what

they do, trust me, my father qualified for the olympics for korean karate in 1980, he gets peved if you call what he learned tai qwan do...I should note that America boycotted the 1980 olympics, so the team didn't go)

I'm sorry, went off on a tangent there, but he certainly COULD use his ability like that, although like

he mentioned in archary, Korea does extremely well in archory (according to him) and there are mostly

likely abyse membors in every major sport, especially popular ones, so he would have to think carefully

about what he persues.

Edited by Ninjacat Dude, 12 January 2014 - 07:43 AM.

Nikola Tesla

Ninjacat Dude

Ninjacat Dude

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 50 posts

Although....I suppose you never know what this writer's going to do, wis might have a suprisingly different effect.

Nikola Tesla

bkaa22

bkaa22

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 219 posts

Although....I suppose you never know what this writer's going to do, wis might have a suprisingly different effect.

That's true . . . maybe WIS only influences Mana Regeneration. Which would cause Jee-Han to raise his WIS immediately. Or all WIS does is make him  more level headed/resistant to psychological effects which is already immune to thanks to his Gamer's Mind skill. It is possible that WIS might be of little importance to Jee-Han at this point in his life.

AllegedTumor

AllegedTumor

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • LocationSomewhere

That's true . . . maybe WIS only influences Mana Regeneration. Which would cause Jee-Han to raise his WIS immediately. Or all WIS does is make him  more level headed/resistant to psychological effects which is already immune to thanks to his Gamer's Mind skill. It is possible that WIS might be of little importance to Jee-Han at this point in his life.

He's immune to psychological effects, like experiencing fear that most normal people would have upon being confronted by zombies.
But in games there are always enemies with mind affecting abilities, such as illusions and the like. WIS might help deal with that?

Really, this is all conjecture until we see if and when WIS gets raised.

Edited by AllegedTumor, 15 January 2014 - 03:21 AM.