Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

What Light novel are you currently reading?

light novels books

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Leehar

Leehar

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 29 posts

I had high hopes for Log Horizon as it's based on an MMORPG similar to LMS, but it wasn't really as great. The anime was decent though

I was also impressed with Accel World, I think they had an 11 chapter manga as well.

But for the most part, MKnR & LMS stand head and shoulders above the rest!

Lanfear

Lanfear

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,553 posts
  • LocationFanfiction.net
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk - Read all the volumes that are currently translated.
3/5 it's good but the MC's gayness and other things that happened made me rate it low.

Kenshin no Keishousha - Read all the volumes that are currently translated.
4.5/5 Very good. And the MC is not bad at all.

MKnR - Read all the volumes that are currently translated
5/5 Epic.

Mokushiroku Arisu - Read all the volumes that are currently translated
5/5 - 'Twas awesome. The MC is an ass but i liked him. And the heroine is awesome o/

Mondaiji Tachi ga Isekai kara kuru Sou Desu yo?!
5/5 - Great. Epic MC.

Shinmai Maou no Keiyakusha - Still reading it, but I'll rate the chicks and the H a 10/5.

tumblr_oj88tuwaZo1qh0pg6o1_250.gif

Sigrún Mercy

Thelemonish

Thelemonish

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 37 posts

Following:

Hakomari

Recommended to everybody this one. Truly a masterpiece in the light novel industry. It starts off a tad slow, however.

Blade Dance

This one has its own ups and downs. The action parts are enjoyable but the 'romantic harem comedy' parts are too forced to make any impression on me, at least. After 3 volumes of battling the author decides to cut the fighting off and write a volume solely dedicated to force the interaction between the MC and the harem. Long story short, as long as you can put up with the forced parts (and even those forced parts are fine compared to most of the awful LNs), this is a fine read.

Also reading some LNs that were already mentioned. DAL, Asterisk and trying to bother but still can't be bothered with Index. I dropped Mahouka for now. When I have the will to bear through the MC, I'll maybe start reading it again.

Currently reading Denyuuden. I am ashamed of delaying to give this LN a try because it's pretty good. 

Infinite Stratos. I have no idea why I'm still reading it...

Why are you? Please snap out of it mate.

Edited by Thelemonish, 20 May 2014 - 10:04 PM.

Limilicious

Limilicious

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 85 posts

I just started reading them, so there's not that many on my list. And I am also picky and avoiding harem/ecchi oriented ones.

Anyways,

Log Horizon - Read all six volumes like 2-3 weeks ago. I don't think a summary is needed as it's pretty popular. It's your typical thrown into an MMORPG world type of scenario. The beauty of this is the demonstration of how a society can decay and slowly being rebuilt. There's a lot of strategic things involved and it is not battle/fighting oriented. Another strong point is that death doesn't mean death. If being sucked into a game and death means death then that is a concept that's even more overused.

Legendary Moonlight Sculptor - Read all eighteen volumes and three chapters in the last 1-2 weeks. This isn't even a "omgwtf happened, we're sucked into a MMORPG world, wtf should we do?!" scenario. It's just showing the life of Lee Hyun and the supporting casts. It talks about a greedy person that only thinks of money and have a wicked personality that cares little for anyone and anything other than his family and money. Though, there are certain things that forces him to do "nice" things. He isn't completely heartless to those he call friends but that is when money isn't involved. Lee Hyun basically plays a VRMMORPG to make money as he's a high school drop out. So far, he still follows the typical route of a protagonist where he basically "always" win. But none are easy and sometimes he end up dead too. But he often wins not because he's strong but because he's like a wicked cockroach. He doesn't mind sinking really low or doing really evil things as long as he wins.

As for ratings and recommendations, I would easily give them 10/10 or 5/5. But they are for different reasons. MC in LH is definitely smarter than MC in LMS. But MC in LMS is more "black heart" or wicked than MC in LH. They aren't really comparable as they target slightly different audiences. One is building, adapting and maintaining a society/world. The other is an adventure to become an emperor, or get a lot of money. In one, the world's foundation is set but the capabilities is limitless and discoveries/creations are often made. In the other, the world is set and simply awaiting to be unfolded.

Will probably read Ark or something similar next as people say it's really good and comparable to LMS.

Edit: Gonna want to say that Lee Hyun's greediness is just getting lame. It has comedic effect but the fact that he doesn't care enough about his friends and looking at people in a nasty perspective is just not appealing anymore. Being notorious is fine but he isn't just notorious. His mindset is twisted in not a good way. While the overall story is good, I am definitely fed up with him and him treating others like trash. Because it's a story written by the author, the other characters ended up coping with him. But realistically speaking, people aren't going to be as innocent or as forgiving. Everything in this LN is literally revolving around Lee Hyun and people are just going to adapt and suck up to him.

Edited by Limilicious, 14 July 2014 - 01:48 AM.

I am a Kleptomaniac.

Kiozor

Kiozor

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

Will probably read Ark or something similar next as people say it's really good and comparable to LMS.

Edit: Gonna want to say that Lee Hyun's greediness is just getting lame. It has comedic effect but the fact that he doesn't care enough about his friends and looking at people in a nasty perspective is just not appealing anymore. Being notorious is fine but he isn't just notorious. His mindset is twisted in not a good way. While the overall story is good, I am definitely fed up with him and him treating others like trash. Because it's a story written by the author, the other characters ended up coping with him. But realistically speaking, people aren't going to be as innocent or as forgiving. Everything in this LN is literally revolving around Lee Hyun and people are just going to adapt and suck up to him.

Yea, Ark has better and more positive than LMS, although the protagonist was somehow quite similar with LMS protagonist.

Well, it depend on readers, I'm not sure about others, but I personally doesn't hate Lee Hyun's characteristic, in fact I found it rather interesting to keep me in touch with LMS

Other than that, these LN quite nice from my points of view, not sure if any of you likes it,

Re:Monster - 
Tomokui Kanata has been re-incarnated into the weakest race, goblin, and given a new name, Rou, after having undergone an unfortunate death. 
However goblin Rou has retained his previous life's memories, an unusual evolution, as well as blessed with ability to gain status boosts from eating. In this alternate world of survival of the fittest, events unfold. Will a goblin party become the heroes of this world, in a delightful twist from your usual scenario?

Mushoku Tensei -
A 34-years-old NEET otaku is chased out from his house by his family. This virgin, plump, unattractive, and penniless nice guy found that his life are going down the path to an end, He then recalled that his life could actually be much better if he can get over the dark history of his life. Just when he was at the point of regret, he saw a truck moving at fast speed, and 3 high-schoolers in it's path. Mustering all strength he had, he tried to save them and ended getting run over by the truck, quickly ending his life. The next time he opened his eyes, he is already reincarnated to a world of sword and magic as Rudeus Greirad. Born to a new world, a new life, Rudeus decided that, "This time, I'll really live my life to the fullest with no regret!". Thus start the journey of a man yearning to restart his life.

AnalEvaporator

AnalEvaporator

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

I'm currently reading

Re:Monster - Everything that's currently translated.

Mushoku Tensei - up to volume 2, chapter 1.

arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou - Everything that's currently translated.

LMS - Everything that's currently translated.

Ark - Everything that's currently translated.

Log Horizon - I'm currently at volume 2 chapter 1.

And finally No Game No Life - at chapter 3.

Lanfear

Lanfear

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,553 posts
  • LocationFanfiction.net
Mushoku Tensei ~ Volume 7

It started out good but it's not cutting it for me anymore ._.

Sigrún Mercy

banisher

banisher

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 60 posts
  • LocationRaw Novel World

Re:Monster (Translated) - Latest Day

Mushoku Tensei (Raw) - Volume 15

Mushoku Tensei (Translated) - Latest Chapter

Oda Nobuna no Yabou (Translated) - Volume 3

Log Horizon (Translated) - Latest Chapter

My Youth Romantic Comedy Is Wrong As I Expected - Latest Chapter

Combat Continent (Raw) - Last Chapter

Combat Continent II (Raw) - Latest Chapter

Edited by banisher, 31 July 2014 - 08:17 AM.

Check out Re:Monster Wiki  !!
Check out Soul Land Wiki  !!
Check out Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Wiki !!
Check out Monster Tamer Wiki !!

Check out Only Sense Online Wiki !!

Leehar

Leehar

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 29 posts

Can't believe I never read Ark after all the LMS love.

Started and caught up with it all in one day yesterday, and it's definitely as great as I hoped!

Will probably try out Re:Monster or Arifureta next

Lanfear

Lanfear

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,553 posts
  • LocationFanfiction.net
Mokushiroku Arisu Vol 3
Elysion Virtual Religion
And rereading LMS~

Can't believe I never read Ark after all the LMS love.

Started and caught up with it all in one day yesterday, and it's definitely as great as I hoped!

Will probably try out Re:Monster or Arifureta next

How is Ark btw? I'm afraid of reading it 'cause one of the reasons I like LMS so much is that Weed is incredibly smart and strong, and I don't think Ark is the same ._.

Sigrún Mercy

Leehar

Leehar

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 29 posts

Mokushiroku Arisu Vol 3
Elysion Virtual Religion
And rereading LMS~

How is Ark btw? I'm afraid of reading it 'cause one of the reasons I like LMS so much is that Weed is incredibly smart and strong, and I don't think Ark is the same ._.

He starts weak like most of these series, maybe only starts getting good at the game a month into it compared to the year that it took weed to start, but by volume 3 he's already facing up to the bard ray-esque character they have in ark (alan)

He's got the same sneaky sense of strength as weed though, so I think it's definitely worth reading. Just don't shirk the volume or so it takes to get past his noob levels :)

Arifureta was also similar, although I think it deserves a more pg rating since I really didn't expect the levels of gore when they got him to the depths of despair. After that he does become formidable though, although they do skim over some of it. Also the translation level isn't that great, so it is tough to read sometimes, in the beginning especially.

How's Elysion? Similar to MKnR?

I don't think I'm likely to read Apocalypse Alice though.

Edited by Leehar, 16 August 2014 - 04:21 PM.

gyokuran

gyokuran

Potato

• Members
  • 104 posts

Waiting for Log Horizon Volume 8

Reading Eromanga Sensei > "I am Light Novel" hehehehe

Edited by gyokuran, 26 August 2014 - 02:08 AM.

Leehar

Leehar

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 29 posts

Trying to catch up with Mushoku Tensei

αɖα- ɕɧαɲ

αɖα- ɕɧαɲ

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  • Locationsometimes here, most of the time there.

Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru - I actually read this a few months before but ended up not finishing the last two translated volume as of current. This Light Novel is more popular to its anime adaptation name "My teenage romantic comdey SNAFU!" Ring a bell? What interest me the most in this novel its philosophical statements and lines from characters, mostly Hikigaya and Yukinoshita. The romantic comedy part is also cute and I totally am into HikixYuki pairing. Though with all the sufferings Hiki experienced, he totally deserves Yaoi ending with Totsuka. Lol.

mizuumi no reijin

mizuumi no reijin

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 8 posts

madan no ou to vanadis, latest chapter

mahouka koukou no rettousei, latest chapter

silver cross and draculea, volume 4

no game no life, volume 3

Dafortminor

Dafortminor

Omnipotence

• Global Mods
  • 752 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

My first novel that I have ever read was LMS (Legendary Moon Sculptor) which was a month ago. I have never read a RPG based novel so detailed where the MC actually is epic. 

Best and fastest way to contact me is via Discord: Daffy#9194.

Ellen Baker

Ellen Baker

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 409 posts

Reading Mushoku Tensei. Up to Vol.5 at the moment.

Didn't expect much from it but it was surprisingly enjoyable read. The world building is pretty nice and the character development at vol.3 is just great. I thought the MC will be depraved at first but its relieving to see that he can balance things out between being a respectable MC and lustful incarnate.

tumblr_o5aovyN5Ko1u41kbzo1_540.png

Spoiler

Anak

Anak

Potato

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • LocationPoint of No Return
Ghost Hunt and its sequel Akumu no sumu ie. Read this if you are a fan of legit suspense and horror. The author certainly knows what she's doing. The manga adaptation is badass as well.

To Aru Majutsu no Index (A Certain Magical Index) and its novel sidestories To Aru Kagaku no Reigun (A certain Scientific Railgun). It already has 20+ volumes, but totally worth the read, especially if you are a fan of shonen, fantasy and adventure. The story is certainly unique, as well as its setting. It has been adapted to both manga and anime. The anime is actually well done. ;)

gintoki.jpg

''Inside me, there is an organ more important than my heart. Although you can´t see it, I feel it going right through my head and down to my legs, and I know that it exists inside me. It´s the one that lets me stand up and walk forward. So that I can walk forward, without ever trembling. If I stopped here I feel like it would break...My soul would break. Even more than if my heart stops beating, to me that is the most important. Even if I become senile and my back gets bent, I still have to walk foward.''

Gintama Episode 27. 

Lanfear

Lanfear

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,553 posts
  • LocationFanfiction.net

Caught up to Arifureta.

Sigrún Mercy

sorryman

sorryman

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts

Oregairu is probably the best light novel ever if you want rom coms.

Just started reading overlord and it's quite interesting.  Mmo world setting.

MC gets transported to a fantasy world except he became his mmo character.

He plays the villain type character ( undead skeleton lich ) with a host of loyal minions.