Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

I am so f*cking pissed. (sorry)

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

easilyoffended

easilyoffended

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 9 posts

I often post a comment on a series to warn others that "For those that dislike weak MCs, the MC in this manga is the powerless/non-badass type" because I myself like to glimpse through the comments to see what the MC is like in later chapters, especially after I have read one or two chapters in disappointment

When I make this comment however I usually follow up saying "and not in a good way like Witch Craft Works"

So as someone who would normally agree with you wholeheartedly about powerless MCs, I think your... not way off-base... but (baseball analogy) you kinda ran straight to second base and on the way you punched the pitcher

And by that I mean you missed a critical junction and you broke out the CAPITALS on the way

Witch Craft Work's 'Hook' or reason to draw readers in, is the fact that the traditional roles are reversed COMPLETELY     (dem capitals again)

Its not half-assed: where cutesy girls who are trying to be good 'wifey's' protect a weak male MC who is trying to 'gather his courage', which I'm sure we both agree is worth raging about, because we cannot understand why the MC is worthy of such affection and need a balance of power in some form

In Witch Craft Works, it is a heroic, stoic and powerful female knight who is trying to be a good 'prince' and protect a weak male MC who is asking to be taught magic but otherwise trying to be a good 'princess'

For those that say the OP is misogynistic, he comes off as an @sshole when angry and maybe chauvinistic, and you could joke about some philogynistic attributes, but I don't think he's misogynistic:  

• If the OP's problem is explicitly: 'Males must always be more manly and powerful than the females', then is it Chauvinism.  
  • If the OP's problem is explicitly: 'Females are trash and must always be subservient to the males', then is it Misogyny.  
  • If the OP's problem is explicitly: 'Females are goddesses and can only have a perfect man', then is it Philogyny.  

(No source, check for yourself, I might be wrong)

EDIT: Oops edit that, anyone who suggests punching a woman is not Philogynistic

I think romances in stories (romances in real life have no rules/balance) need a good 'balance of power' or 'balance of significance'.  This does not mean men must be as strong as the women are beautiful (that is straight out sexist).  People forget to include the huge variety/facets of this 'power' or 'significance' such as:

• Kindness from a local (male/female) eases the heart of a travelling battle hardened warrior (like a blade and its sheathe)  <---Protect and Worth Protecting
  • The smothered royalty (male/female) hearts skips a beat due to the genuine carefree smile of a commoner  <--- 'Can buy anything' and 'Money can't buy (true) love'
  • The strong (male/female) finds out the truth about the sacrifices/pain endured by the weak (male/female) done for his/her sake  <-- Physically strong and Mentally strong OR 'Doesn't know about love' and 'Madly in love'
  • The seemingly perfect (male/female) and the only one who knows their true side/personality  <-- 'Share a secret' OR Tsundere and 'Its OK I know what you meant' OR 'I am perfect' and 'Haha! Perfect huh?'

Fair enough, when you rate a character very highly (like the OP has rated Kagari) then you want a highly rated partner for her

For me I think the MC does have this balance because in a world with magic he is kinda limited physically, but makes up for it by:

• Sacrifice (unlocking his seals to save Kagari and the city which dooms himself),
  • He plays the straight-guy to Kagari's stoic comedy,
  • He wants to learn magic (no gathering of courage here, just straight up teach me pls),
  • The decisions he makes are idealistic but strong based on the information he has (I would rage if there was no downside to calling upon Evermillion and he still hesitated to do so, but he knows the downside and he doesn't hesitate)

In a story that the main source of conflict is magical battles then it is also fair enough that the OP would like the 'power' or 'significance' of the male MC to be directly usable in these battles.  I don't think that should be that important as this story has other's things going for it.  

He does however give Kagari power (most of her power is his own, or Evermillions), if he reduces this 'power feed' then Kagari will lose major fights and this 'power feed' is based upon him believing in her/not being weak, which is the direct opposite of the OP's argument.  

Probably the biggest initial difference that the OP's reading has from my own, is that the MC did something hugely noble/worthy/was chosen for a reason during their childhood that has been erased from their memory.  Having that first impression from the beginning makes you see the MC in a different light, which lets you read into what the MC is actually doing, and that Kagari's affections are justified.  He even asks why she bothers to care for him and it is because of a memory she cannot recall but knows it is significant.  I read it less as 'their minds have been tinkered with' and more as 'she chose to have her mind tinkered with along with him' because of something that happened in the past.  

Long post sorry, but I stand by Witch Craft Works and the MC, and will continue to give comments for other readers to help them avoid weak MCs and will still give my usual follow up saying "and not in a good way like Witch Craft Works"

Edited by easilyoffended, 12 July 2014 - 02:59 AM.

MrAnarchist

MrAnarchist

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 298 posts
  • LocationFrom Ravnica to Theros, from Innistrad to Kamigawa, I'm in no single place for too long
Can we please stop posting on this?
So Ulamog and Kozilek are dead, FOR GOOD. but Ugin made a good point: there's no telling how many eldrazi there are in the Blind Eternities and whether they will seek revenge.

It REALLY sucks when a pacifist makes you guilty for killing monsters.

10.jpg

17.jpg

19.jpg

Nightdragon

Nightdragon

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 45 posts

Spoiler

you know considering you have said, you where in highschool i'm going to say this, you know NOTHING of the real world and the people around you. And if you are in a highschool with more than 500 people, you know nothing of the people in your school. you may have seen them but your knowlegde base is too small.

you are a small fish in a small pond, wait till you leave your pond and go out into the real world to make a comment on how people 'are or aren't' IRL

I prefer to think that IDY's sexism is not a factor in his stories.

Yet I continue to see that as the only reason. Why couldn't he make another Unbalance x Unbalance?

probably because he almost didn't finsh the first Unbalance X Unbalance the first time around. IDY is extremely notorious for starting a story and then either completely ruining the story by the end or just not finshing the story at all. He has some great ideas, its just he can never fully follow though with them.

MrAnarchist

MrAnarchist

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 298 posts
  • LocationFrom Ravnica to Theros, from Innistrad to Kamigawa, I'm in no single place for too long

Can we please stop posting on this?

PLEASE
So Ulamog and Kozilek are dead, FOR GOOD. but Ugin made a good point: there's no telling how many eldrazi there are in the Blind Eternities and whether they will seek revenge.

It REALLY sucks when a pacifist makes you guilty for killing monsters.

10.jpg

17.jpg

19.jpg

Kokoro-chan

Kokoro-chan

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationYokohama Police Headquarters

cry some more. your tears are delicious. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-wSLptB5FQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzTCG054aIc

s3bbi

s3bbi

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

I'm the only one that get's some Shagukan no Shana vibes from this? I have the feeling the MC is somewhat close to Yuuji SAKAI and will change over the course of the manga.

Zenith_Tempest

Zenith_Tempest

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 83 posts
I'll try to play both sides, here. There has to be a limit as to how wimpy any character is. They have to realize their weaknesses and resolve themselves to become stronger. And Takamiya has done that, so we can give him credit to that. Yet, this is where my argument differs. How long are you going to continuously write off your characters as weak before they become stronger? Take Shirou from FSN. He was told that he was weak, and he decided to have Saber train him because he didn't want to be a hindrance to his allies. Take Kenichi from HSDK. He hated that he was so easily pushed around, and asked Miu to help him learn to stand on his own. In both cases, the male MCs reached a level at which they could fight side by side. I honestly enjoy it when no party is weak. Look at Touko and Shiki in Kara no Kyoukai. They're very strong and clever. Kokutou isn't nearly as strong as them, but he isn't weak, and he makes up for it through his intelligence.
What I'm trying to say is there isn't a need for Takamiya to be weak anymore. He is capable of performing magic. He should be getting stronger and stronger. We've seen him improve, but that's come to a halt. We see his resolve-even though Kagari is invincible with him around, he hates the fact that she has to fight for him. My only question is when. The guy before me made a good reference. In Shakugan no Shana, Yuji was weak. But the pacing of his development was good. He started off with basic training, then flame control, and became extremely powerful. Yet ANOTHER example is Tsukune from Rosario Vampire. He started off as a weak human but by the end, was willing to push his now mutated body over its limits in order to protect the people who had protected him when he was weak. I guess this manga is trying to go in this direction, but it's just that we haven't seen the MC STOP being as wimpy. He has rare "cool" cases, but when the chapter ends he reverts to his regular self. That's what gets me down.

Disabling all limiters.

tumblr_nld3jcEGtn1r7hrmoo2_500.gif