Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

I am so f*cking pissed. (sorry)

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Leoh

Leoh

Potato

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationUranus

Spoiler

Edited by seyrine, 12 July 2014 - 07:50 PM.
MOD EDIT: Spoiler tags for language.

425q4sD.png

M o r s     R e g i s 

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

Well, yeah, the male mc is pretty wimpy.............though honestly if you think about it that goes hand in hand with the premise they're using for this story.............that in this version of the "world of magic" / witchcraft, it's the women (i.e. the witches) that sit upon the top of the hierarchy.

So yeah, all the guys / male characters are going to be portrayed as subservient. But no argument, he comes off as a little overly weak...........maybe he's still messed up from having his brain tinkered with as a child. :)

Tn7HA0h.png

Leoh

Leoh

Potato

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationUranus

Well, yeah, the male mc is pretty wimpy.............though honestly if you think about it that goes hand in hand with the premise they're using for this story.............that in this version of the "world of magic" / witchcraft, it's the women (i.e. the witches) that sit upon the top of the hierarchy.

So yeah, all the guys / male characters are going to be portrayed as subservient. But no argument, he comes off as a little overly weak...........maybe he's still messed up from having his brain tinkered with as a child. :)

I don't think he's weak because his memories got erased as a kid.
The reason why his memories got erased is because the White Princess entered his body, probably.
I don't think he would get wimpy from that.
Unless maybe he saw some witch do something terrifying and even after his memories getting erased he there's a after effect of him being weak, but the likely hood of that is pretty low.

And we have seen that teacher guy use advance science, which (I don't know if it's clarified) is doubted to be actually magic.
Also, MC is learning magic so it's not like guys can't learn it.

425q4sD.png

M o r s     R e g i s 

MrAnarchist

MrAnarchist

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 298 posts
  • LocationFrom Ravnica to Theros, from Innistrad to Kamigawa, I'm in no single place for too long

Also, MC is learning magic so it's not like guys can't learn it.

Cause he's got Evermillion. Also, I think he's weak because of where the plot device comes from: hero saving princess. We literally are told what to expect from the first chapter, Takamiya is the character who will be in constant danger and peril and its up to Mario, I mean Kagari (see?) to come to the rescue. Sure, Takamiya can have his moments, he can have special powers, but all in all he's just a male version of the damsel in distress. And I think THAT'S why it's popularAttached File  image.jpg   47.9KB   23 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   117.17KB   24 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   81.22KB   24 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   86.9KB   22 downloads

Let me clarify: we're so used to the typical damsel in distress plot that its nice to see a twist every now and then

Edited by MrAnarchist, 16 August 2013 - 06:18 PM.

So Ulamog and Kozilek are dead, FOR GOOD. but Ugin made a good point: there's no telling how many eldrazi there are in the Blind Eternities and whether they will seek revenge.

It REALLY sucks when a pacifist makes you guilty for killing monsters.

10.jpg

17.jpg

19.jpg

Similar-man

Similar-man

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 33 posts

hahaha. Pisses me off too, seeing as how a large majority of Mc's are either wimpy as fuck, stupid, or both. I think it's just that in Japan, the mentality is different than in western societies( but then again, even in our comics and books and stuff, these appears )

Also, I agree with Mister Anarchist up there, I do like seeing Kagari as the knight and Taka as her b*tch

Edited by Similar-man, 22 November 2013 - 08:08 AM.

助けるよ
あたりまえだろう

MrAnarchist

MrAnarchist

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 298 posts
  • LocationFrom Ravnica to Theros, from Innistrad to Kamigawa, I'm in no single place for too long

hahaha. Pisses me off too, seeing as how a large majority of Mc's are either wimpy as fuck, stupid, or both. I think it's just that in Japan, the mentality is different than in western societies( but then again, even in our comics and books and stuff, these appears )

Also, I agree with Mister Anarchist up there, I do like seeing Kagari as the knight and Taka as her b*tch

The majority of male mcs in manga and anime are weak because of the trends they follow and it often doesn't fit the plot or give aid to it. In WCW Takamiya is weak on purpose because the plot centers on who he is: a 'princess'. I normally get annoyed with mcs like Kazuha (or is it Kazuya?) from Freezing! because he's weak for no purpose other than to give the girls the spotlight. Here, again, it's different and it's also changing. Takamiya understands his incapability to take action, so he has taken charge. He will no longer accept being on the sidelines.
So Ulamog and Kozilek are dead, FOR GOOD. but Ugin made a good point: there's no telling how many eldrazi there are in the Blind Eternities and whether they will seek revenge.

10.jpg

17.jpg

19.jpg

SilverAlex

SilverAlex

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 96 posts
  • LocationSomewhere aroung nowhere (but a little to the left)

I havent read the manga, I only watched the first ep, and I ABSOLUTELY HATED IT, I almost drop it three different times, tho Is my policy to at least finish the first ep before deciding if I hate something. The series overall looks interesting, the female lead is very cool, the antagonist rocks, as a wish fulfillment because I dont know any guy who wouldn't like to be in the position of the main lead (I mean, magic is real, beutiful girls, stuff blowing up, killer bunnies... what else does a man need to be happy?) but danm, the main character is even worse than shinji from Evangelion. At least shinji was 14 and had a psychological condition and legitimate reasons for it. This guy instead is a pussy just because the author wanted it so, no more explanation given and thats what pisses me off. I completely dropped the anime, and came to the manga hoping thins were a little different, but your post completely killed any small chance of me reading this manga

"The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is"
Kino 's motto. Series: Kino no tabi

And this writer dreams to find the true meaning of that phrase

MrAnarchist

MrAnarchist

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 298 posts

I havent read the manga, I only watched the first ep, and I ABSOLUTELY HATED IT, I almost drop it three different times, tho Is my policy to at least finish the first ep before deciding if I hate something. The series overall looks interesting, the female lead is very cool, the antagonist rocks, as a wish fulfillment because I dont know any guy who wouldn't like to be in the position of the main lead (I mean, magic is real, beutiful girls, stuff blowing up, killer bunnies... what else does a man need to be happy?) but danm, the main character is even worse than shinji from Evangelion. At least shinji was 14 and had a psychological condition and legitimate reasons for it. This guy instead is a pussy just because the author wanted it so, no more explanation given and thats what pisses me off. I completely dropped the anime, and came to the manga hoping thins were a little different, but your post completely killed any small chance of me reading this manga

Are you shitting me? You think Shinji is better than Takamiya? Takamiya has evolved and will continue to do so. Shinji is a whiny little bitch WHO NEVER LEARNS. The whole gimmick of WCW is that Takamiya is the damsel in distress and Kagari is the knight in shining armor. That gimmick ties in with the plot. NGE's gimmick was giant fighting robots. There was nothing else but the creator's psycho babble. Shinji's bitchy attitude didn't tie in with the plot (making an argument to defend him is worthless). At least he's not Kazuha from Freezing!

Also, FIRST IMPRESSIONS ARE NEVER GOOD! When I saw Avatar: The Last Airbender, my first impressions weren't good. But I gave it the benefit of the doubt and continued to watch it, even when I'm in college.

10.jpg

17.jpg

19.jpg

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Spoiler

I've got to say, if all you're basing this on is first impressions of the male MC, I think you're really selling it short and rushing to a misguided judgement. To each their own, of course, but most "weak" characters in stories (in whatever medium) are usually there so they can be built upon by the story teller. This one's no different. I actually enjoy it immensely.

Edited by svines85, 05 February 2014 - 09:50 AM.

Tn7HA0h.png

DrGynaecologist

DrGynaecologist

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 10 posts

Honestly, if you truly don't like you would probably enjoy reading something else entirely. I know you said this "Oh, for those that want to pull the "If you don't like it, don't read it card." This is for you; If there are no forms of criticism, ideas, opinions authors wouldn't even know what to write about that readers would enjoy. In fact, no criticism, or different ideas and opinions would make this world so dull. So, if you were gonna say that, shut it." However, I feel there is not a need to "shut it" since you're doing nothing that you mention legitimises your complaint. Firstly, a true critique doesn't read as a rant full of caps locked words and swearing, instead they logically attack points that have caused issue for the writer's enjoyment. Secondly, the target of this "critique", the author Mizunagi Ryuu, neither speaks English nor visits this site. This means this in an inappropriate forum for "legitimate" criticism which will help him grow as an author, may I suggest learning the Japanese language and contacting him via twitter so you can air your grievance and misogyny directly.

Edited by DrGynaecologist, 07 February 2014 - 06:32 AM.

Rol

Rol

Oui Purée

• Donator
  • 3,270 posts

So you're basically saying "If the roles were reversed and Takamiya was a girl, I'd be ok with it, because girls are weak and need to be protected, but since he's a man he has to be strong and badass, and blablabla".

Seriously --'

This is so stupid and misogynistic...

Yes, him being a wimp might be annoying, but even if it was a girl, a wimp is annoying no matter the gender, I don't even see why you mentioned that.

So what if he's protected by a girl ? That's how it is, he's weak, she's strong, so she protects him, that doesn't make him any less of a "man".

wtjpw658v4xz.gif

marto5

marto5

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

haters gona hate i guess...

maffa

maffa

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • Locationitaly

I think you have one thing badly wrong , and another one i guess it's up to you if liking it or not. 

What you have wrong is calling Takamiya a wimp. Sure he is not the most cocksure MC in mangadom, but even if he were, things wouldnt have been any different. Simply said, magic defies common sense, physics and logic; we dont have any grasp on how to do magic, who can do magic, who are the witches (Kagari's mother is hundreds years old), how it works, how to predict its effects, in short we (Takamiya included) dont know jack about magic so there is literally nothing w(h)e can do about it, in terms of "acting cool", be it thinking of a strategy, prevent something to happen, having a brilliant idea and so on. The only thing he can do is (not so wimpingly) giving up his life in order to use the only weapon in his own possession, Evermillion. If he knew (aka if only anyone had bothered to tell him) that all he had to do in order to have Kagari defeat Medusa was thinking of her invincible, he wouldnt have swallowed the poison pill in the first place, and maybe he would have imagined her in a wedding dress (or in a negligè) in order togive her that much power to level the city down.  

The thing that may or may not be of your liking is that, obviously, the manga is scripted in order to have Takamiya fail, because this is what moves the plot onward, and that creates the comic reliefs. Despite his best efforts, he is doomed to fail over and over, until he learns (if he ever will) the ways of witchcrafting. You may like it, you maynot, this is up to you. 

Edited by maffa, 22 February 2014 - 05:45 PM.

Nightdragon

Nightdragon

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 45 posts

yes because all the seals he has to keep Evermillion under control, can't posibilby effect him...

Also he is a kid, under 18, and may care about the city and its buildings. Honestly even at 30 if I saw my home town in ruins it would still be a shocker, I would get over it but still it would be a shock.

Treating him like having the city in ruins is not an everyday thing. Sure he may hear about part of the city being ruined. Also I don't think he fully knows how the city protection magic works.

Just because we the reader can figure out how the magic in the world works, doesn't mean the MC will... at least not right away. So people need to calm the hell down. And honestly learn to maybe not do a final post, as I have found just typing out a reply, and then canceling it is enough to get the rage out of the system.

veraya

veraya

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • LocationDepths of Hell

I am soooooooooooo frustrated now that it feels like I shall start breaking walls anytime soon... Geez .. whyy Kagari WHYYY
This ^$#^%$#^# wimp of a protagonist should die already .. or at least has his useless balls torn apart he's not using them anyway.

MrAnarchist

MrAnarchist

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 298 posts

I am soooooooooooo frustrated now that it feels like I shall start breaking walls anytime soon... Geez .. whyy Kagari WHYYY
This ^$#^%$#^# wimp of a protagonist should die already .. or at least has his useless balls torn apart he's not using them anyway.

Have you not been reading everyone's posts? There's a reasonable explanation for all this. Not to mention, THE RAWS ARE UP TO CHAPTER 31!! Can we PLEASE just shut up about something that would normally END a series?

You wanna know why? BECAUSE ITS HER DUTY!! Say what you will, but Kagari's responsible for Takamiya's life. Not to mention their connected. Kagari is the 'knight' and Takamiya is the 'royalty'. She's the protector and he's the protected. Do you get my drift? Enough with this load of bs, I swear to you if the roles were reversed, no one would be complaining about the 'weakness' of the female because her knight in f*cking shining armor valiantly sacrificed himself to protect her.

Give the guy some damn credit. He's got this power sealed up inside him and he was actually willing to use it. But the idea that's coming across is that if Takamiya dies, Evermillion is freed. We all saw what she did in that skirmish with Medusa. She's capable of such destruction with just ONE out of five seals being broken. If it were me in charge, I would want Takamiya kept alive at all costs. Maybe that's why Kagari has herself take all the damage Takamiya gets. Maybe, just maybe, it will be explained in chapter 27 or after.

Spoiler

Otherwise, shut it. What I'm so f*cking p*ssed about is how no one can take the five damn seconds to think about the situation. Given the option of saving a damn city and reviving everyone back to life for my own life is a damn good deal I might say.

Edited by MrAnarchist, 23 February 2014 - 07:53 AM.

10.jpg

17.jpg

19.jpg

Ryohka

Ryohka

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

I don't see why it's such an issue.  Yes he's weak but so was Tsukune for almost the entirety of ten volumes in Rosario to Vampire until he got his power then he turned into a badass.  While I agree the mc's personality in this manga is pretty bad, I think that in part is because he's hard to identify with.  In terms of character growth, 29 chapters in I think I should have a better sense of where the story is going.  So far all we know is he can't defend himself without putting his own life or someone elses in danger, and he has a thing for tall large breasted women.

And while I do agree that everyone is entitled to an opinion just saying "I f*@#ing hate" something, while criticism, isn't constructive.  I personally believe that it's views like this that cause the rest of the world to view americans as ignorant foreigners who would sooner shoot you and take over your country than hold a peaceful debate.  I really do wish the otaku community in the western hemisphere  was a little freindlier, and could actually hold a discussion without using foul language all throughout a thread.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

And while I do agree that everyone is entitled to an opinion just saying "I f*@#ing hate" something, while criticism, isn't constructive.  I personally believe that it's views like this that cause the rest of the world to view americans as ignorant foreigners who would sooner shoot you and take over your country than hold a peaceful debate.  I really do wish the otaku community in the western hemisphere  was a little freindlier, and could actually hold a discussion without using foul language all throughout a thread.

Ummm.........you're gonna have to explain to me just how you got this around to "americans........ignorant foreigners" or even "otaku.......western hemisphere/little friendlier" whatever. I don't see how any of this got you around to criticizing any particular group of people across the board like you're doing.

Tn7HA0h.png

Raggle Fraggle

Raggle Fraggle

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 79 posts
  • LocationA Candy Store Near You

The majority of male mcs in manga and anime are weak because of the trends they follow and it often doesn't fit the plot or give aid to it. In WCW Takamiya is weak on purpose because the plot centers on who he is: a 'princess'. I normally get annoyed with mcs like Kazuha (or is it Kazuya?) from Freezing! because he's weak for no purpose other than to give the girls the spotlight. Here, again, it's different and it's also changing. Takamiya understands his incapability to take action, so he has taken charge. He will no longer accept being on the sidelines.

He's weak because Im-Dal Young is sexist. But enough on that douche or whatever.

I acctualy really like this story. It's humoress and pretty original? If that's a thing in manga anymore. The characters are great. But I gotta say my favorite is the obsessed little sister. That's just gold right there. Fuck it Imma reread it.

MrAnarchist

MrAnarchist

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 298 posts

He's weak because Im-Dal Young is sexist. But enough on that douche or whatever.

I acctualy really like this story. It's humoress and pretty original? If that's a thing in manga anymore. The characters are great. But I gotta say my favorite is the obsessed little sister. That's just gold right there. Fuck it Imma reread it.

I prefer to think that IDY's sexism is not a factor in his stories.

Yet I continue to see that as the only reason. Why couldn't he make another Unbalance x Unbalance?

10.jpg

17.jpg

19.jpg