Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

[SPOILERS] Current Chapter Discussion

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

201katara

201katara

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 15 posts

WOW TAJIMA IS just so amazing!! He literally stole that entire run!! He is the true ace in the team XD And Hanai, you are just, just bad.. 

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

Yup, Tajima's good, there's no doubt. And in all fairness to Hanai (and the rest of the team when it comes to hitting in this game) Haruna is too.

It's just one of the things that you see, especially at the amateur levels of most any sport, where a few individuals are just far more gifted than most everybody else. They'll always stand out and dominate their competition until they advance to such a level as they're only competing against others with similar athletic gifts. 

Tn7HA0h.png

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

ugghhhh......unbelievable, criticizing a control pitcher for throwing inside. Oh well, they are kids I suppose, still, I noticed they carved Haruna up after that too.  Personally i thought it was outstanding pitch calling. 

Tn7HA0h.png

naphack

naphack

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,120 posts
  • LocationIn the Black Forest, Germany

jup, just throw these slow pitches as far away from them as possible, so there is no way in hell, you can hit them!

US RANDOM LEECHERS HAVE NO RIGHT TO COMPLAIN!

You don't scanlate, you don't complain, as simple as that.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

exactly, bust it inside, back 'em off the plate,  and then paint the outside............there's just not much defense for that from a hitter's standpoint. 

Tn7HA0h.png

naphack

naphack

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,120 posts

well, the problem is breaking balls.

With straight balls, the batter could be pretty confident, even if they switch inside outside inside outside or something like that.

Add to that the mix with sliders, curves, screw, ...

I think, the best course would be to nail them with a fastball to the inside and then throw in a slider which looks like it's gonna be on the inside again. I'm not all that deep into baseball, so I don't know jack about left handers vs right handers etc. tho.

Then mix it up. Too lazy to re-read right now. Has Mihashi ever thrown a sinker? If I recall correctly, in the first chapter, he said, he can throw it, but I don't think, we have ever seen it. Might be wrong tho.

I mean, what they have right now is the whole inside and outside mix with that unnatural precision and the fastball which hardly drops. That's their "weapons".

Basically "inside vs outside" and "higher than expected". Why not add "lower than expected"/"dropping to an unhittable spot" to the mix?

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Mihashi listed 3 breaking pitches in chapter 1, the curveball, the slider (looks like a fastball but breaks left at the plate) and a shoot (looks like a fastball but breaks right at the plate).........and yeah, you're right, a "control" pitcher uses accuracy and strategy to get people out...........his having four good pitches was exactly why Momoka and Abe were so excited............with that kind of variety, along with the accuracy and control to change locations,  the strategies are almost limitless.

It's already been noted by a number of the opposing players/characters.............the ability to change location accurately (switching from all the way in to all the way out).........is by no means a run of the mill talent. As a "control" type pitcher, Mahashi is being portrayed as pretty amazing..........but it all depends on strategy for that type of pitcher. 

and yeah, there's actually two versions of chapter one, the one TL calls it a "screwball" when Mihashi is guessing what they are,  while the other calls it a "shoot". I'm pretty sure it should be a shoot pitch, since that's apparently a pitch mainly associated with Japanese baseball (yup, had to look it up since I'd never heard of one before now........35 year baseball fan, I've never heard of a "shoot"...............strictly a Japanese pitch apparently). It's also mainly associated with right handed pitchers...........screw balls, at least in my experience, are normally only thrown by lefties. 

Tn7HA0h.png

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Wow, they're getting into the late innings now.........the tension is definitely building.

Tn7HA0h.png

201katara

201katara

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 15 posts

WOOO!! Go Hanai!! Go hanai!! Go NU!! Wahhh Musashino is catching on MIhashi's fastball BAD!! 

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Yeah, that was pretty awesome for Hanai.............I was kinda waiting on something like that to happen with this pitcher, it's the curse of the hard throwers, if someone actually connects solidly, all that force is reversed and that ball will go a loooong way. 

Tn7HA0h.png

naphack

naphack

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,120 posts

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMERUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

Always knew he had it in him.

Tajima was like "If only I knew, you weren't gonna suck..."

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

I see the new tank volume (22) is out and debuted at #6 on the sales charts..........I'm kinda hoping this'll spark more chapter releases :D

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-11-27/japanese-comic-ranking-november-18-24

Tn7HA0h.png

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

95 was a great chapter, I hated seeing Haruna hit him...........but, well, that's just what aces do. It's good to see Abe understands his position, having a control type pitcher like Musashi be successful really is in large part up to the catcher's skills at pitch calling. 

Tn7HA0h.png

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Holy crap, and next it's a knuckle-curve ball............jeez, Musashi really must have every junk-ball pitch there is.  :D

Tn7HA0h.png

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Holy crap, almost a quarter-million in sales of the latest tank in only two weeks  >_<

amazing to me that someone isn't actively scanlating this one

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-07-03/japanese-comic-ranking-june-23-29/.76254

Tn7HA0h.png

hee7

hee7

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

Man, those stats are awesome! I really hope that means a third season of the anime could be in the works... unless the manga is so popular they don't think one would make a difference in tank numbers?? 

Re: scanlation, I heard there's someone/a group scanlating and releasing on tumblr, though I haven't seen it myself. Though victoriel  has been casually translating the last few recent chapters (up to 111) on her tumblr. 

Yes, I've been a desperate enough idiot to faithfully attempt deciphering raws. sukoshi dake wakarukedo... >_> 

Edited by hee7, 04 July 2014 - 10:42 PM.

ramenradian

ramenradian

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

After rewatching the anime of this more times than I could count, I finally gave in and read the manga. well.. I kinda skimmed through the Musashino vs ARC chapters because I honestly don't care for Musashino, even if the Haruna and Akimaru dynamic is very interesting. It's nice too that Mihashi and Abe have grown closer, even if Mihashi still has some trouble with shaking off signs. u_u Anyway, can't wait for the next chapters to be released!

naphack

naphack

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,120 posts

The eyes of that pitcher are somewhat creepy... Like they have no soul.