Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

[SPOILERS] Current Chapter Discussion

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

201katara

201katara

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 15 posts

I was honestly getting really tired of the abe and Mihashi battery combination, because Mihashi was too dependent on Abe for strikes and Abe just didn't trust mihashi to make good choices at all.... Just when it felt like Asa was overexhausting Abe, Abe got that injury and now Tajima can take a new spot and improve Mihashi's self-reliance. In addition because Tajima is now the catcher, he isn't going to be the team's ace batter anymore( he does have trouble putting batting and defending together) so now the other members of the team can improve--> especially hanai since they can't depend on Tajima like before :) Love the developments so far :) 

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

I was honestly getting really tired of the abe and Mihashi battery combination, because Mihashi was too dependent on Abe for strikes and Abe just didn't trust mihashi to make good choices at all.... Just when it felt like Asa was overexhausting Abe, Abe got that injury and now Tajima can take a new spot and improve Mihashi's self-reliance. In addition because Tajima is now the catcher, he isn't going to be the team's ace batter anymore( he does have trouble putting batting and defending together) so now the other members of the team can improve--> especially hanai since they can't depend on Tajima like before :) Love the developments so far :)

Yeah, I definitely agree with you, though I suppose where we started with the Mihashi / Abe relationship was somewhat natural so that the author could show the maturing (character development) of both of them. But yeah, no argument, Mihashi's extreme timidness and self-doubt, along with Abe's micro-managing and overbearing demeanor was definitely getting old..........very good to see both of them making strides now. Tajima's time as a catcher and Abe's time watching them from the bench will benefit both of them............and Mihashi as well. 

And it really is true, catching is a very difficult position, both mentally and physically, there really aren't many catchers who can be "great" offensive producers while catching full time. 

Tn7HA0h.png

201katara

201katara

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 15 posts

Wow, as more chapters are coming out, I find myself liking this more and more!! This is just such an awesome manga!! Tajima and Mihashi are honestly working better as a battery than Mihashi and Abe. But I really miss Abe's tactical way of approaching his opponents. Abe's built to be a catcher and Tajima who so easily shines in a lot of different positions on the field-- just can't beat that.. :) Here's a big problem for Nishiura now though: 

Tajima's current role as a catcher is making his role as a hitter go down. At his at-bats, Tajima's always concentrating on defense strategies rather than concentrating on the pitches... 

But the good thing with that would be that as a result, the other batters could try to improve especially Hanai to fill in the gap... :) 

I like the way the story is developing so far :) Asa Higuchi is a genius--> She really understands what it takes to make a good team good. 

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Yeah, Abe is definitely the guy they need catching. "Calling the game"........the strategy of matching the pitcher against the batters.........  is the biggest part of a catchers job and the thing many people (fans) take for granted or just don't realize is going on. Abe has the experience at doing that and from what we've heard already his dad does too. Lots of pitching coaches (and managers) at the professional levels are former catchers. The good ones are real tacticians..........they know who they've got on their side, they know who they're facing, and they form strategies from that. 

Tn7HA0h.png

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Wow, I kind of hate seeing their combined camp ending, I was really enjoying all the action..........though admittedly it dropped off quite a bit when they started rotating into their backup positions. They really are at a huge disadvantage against the other teams right now with so few players. 

Tn7HA0h.png

201katara

201katara

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 15 posts

I remember before I was introduced to this, baseball was my least favorite sport, because I thought it was tedious, long and a magnet for tragedies... Pitcher's and batters could just so easily get hurt... I never understood it either so that added to why I didn't like it more..But now, I can say its my favorite sport out there and I honestly appreciate the roles of all the players :) 

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

"Boring" is the knock you hear about baseball the most, lots of people just want a faster pace and don't "get" or appreciate the intricacies of the game. Different strokes for different folks of course, everybody has their own preferences, but if you understand all the strategies and nuances of the game, it's just thrilling, even a scoreless pitcher's duel is filled with excitement on every single pitch.

We actually haven't gotten into as much of that yet with our team, if only because of the fact that they're so new they've got an awful lot on their plate already just forming a cohesive team thus far. We did see how it works in their final game in the tournament though, where fielder position combined with pitching strategy and batting strategy combined with scouting their opponent showed just how outmatched our team really was when they went up against a really good school. Some of that stuff certainly seemed unfair (particularly the signal stealing) but, well, that's a part of the game. Our team was just outmatched at the time. Really, really looking forward to seeing them grow. 

Tn7HA0h.png

201katara

201katara

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 15 posts

"Boring" is the knock you hear about baseball the most, lots of people just want a faster pace and don't "get" or appreciate the intricacies of the game. Different strokes for different folks of course, everybody has their own preferences, but if you understand all the strategies and nuances of the game, it's just thrilling, even a scoreless pitcher's duel is filled with excitement on every single pitch.

We actually haven't gotten into as much of that yet with our team, if only because of the fact that they're so new they've got an awful lot on their plate already just forming a cohesive team thus far. We did see how it works in their final game in the tournament though, where fielder position combined with pitching strategy and batting strategy combined with scouting their opponent showed just how outmatched our team really was when they went up against a really good school. Some of that stuff certainly seemed unfair (particularly the signal stealing) but, well, that's a part of the game. Our team was just outmatched at the time. Really, really looking forward to seeing them grow. 

Bijou is a very unethical baseball team, not just for the sign stealing, but also for manipulating its catchers to hurt other players.  Bijou's assistant coach, or Riou's older brother, makes me wonder if he truly respects baseball? I was happy that Kawai was there to try to restrict the illegal moves Bijou attempted to make, like signaling from the stands. But still, that was one horrible team... On the other hand, the team NU played before Bijou: Sakitama, was very interesting. The humble team has been loosing a lot of members and  the remaining ones have been forced to take on positions they never wanted, like Ichihara as a pitcher.  What's impressive is how persistent the pitcher was in their team. The rest of the team wasn't as interested in winning the game and pretty much took everything apathetically, but Ichihara kept pitching until he hurt his elbow really badly. I must admit that at that point, I thought that he was a far better pitcher than Mihashi in both skill and attitude. Ichihara was a self dependent pitcher-> he didn't have a reliable catcher like Abe, whereas Mihashi is the exact opposite.. If that team could pull their act together and get an experienced coach like Coach Momoe, I feel like they may be able to get very far... 

Edited by 201katara, 09 May 2013 - 05:36 AM.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Bijou is a very unethical baseball team, not just for the sign stealing, but also for manipulating its catchers to hurt other players.  Bijou's assistant coach, or Riou's older brother, makes me wonder if he truly respects baseball? I was happy that Kawai was there to try to restrict the illegal moves Bijou attempted to make, like signaling from the stands.      

You know, I'm not sure the actual coach (or anybody else on the team) actually knows about that stuff though. Not what's really going on with him,  other than him having the influence to have his "ringer" put into the starting lineup.  That fella acting like an assistant coach/scout isn't unethical in and of itself............but sure, the rest of what you point out is exceedingly unethical. But again, I'm not sure from what we've been told and seen if we can really know that he isn't doing those things strictly on his own and rationalizing it away as "win at any cost"..............but I could be wrong, maybe I missed something that showed the coach himself knows. If that's the case, yeah, they're dirty as hell. 

Tn7HA0h.png

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

well, maybe not a lot of action but still a great new chapter. some background on Momoe (that didn't come as too much of a surprise given the earlier foreshadowing) and some typcal high-school festival content...........kind of fun to see how even as first years everybody knows who the baseball players are :D

Tn7HA0h.png

Jodanzuki

Jodanzuki

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 12 posts

I'm really amazed no one else is willing to join in the team. Seeing how hard and how smart those guys work, I'd be hella pumped to join into their ranks...

What makes me lost a bit is... Why are they still being referred as "first years only team" if they're second years by now?

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Wow, what an awesome chapter that was. I love the baseball action and all, but I also really, really like the behind the scenes stuff showing the team coming together........we get so much character advancement from it, and it's also nice to see things from the other side with the other team's doings. 

I'm really amazed no one else is willing to join in the team. Seeing how hard and how smart those guys work, I'd be hella pumped to join into their ranks...

What makes me lost a bit is... Why are they still being referred as "first years only team" if they're second years by now?

Yeah, I agree with you, but I just don't think we're at that point in the story yet. And I know there's a lot of story that's already been told, but they really are still just first years. Remember that Abe got injured in their very first official tournament, and was given (roughly) a two month rehab............he's just now preparing to actually play in what will be the beginning of their second major tournament (not counting the Newcomers tournament which he sat out of). So in reality (story wise) we've really only had a few months pass............they're still in their very first season together. 

And not that it's the same or anything, but this story puts me somewhat in mind of the manga Eyeshield 21, where we literally had 350 or so chapters which transpired over the course of a single high school sports (american football) season. Not that I know that it's going to be the same in this title, but it is possible. We may go the whole course of the story and never leave their first year. Personally though I doubt it, I expect this story to stretch over their entire high school careers, but who knows. 

Edited by svines85, 12 May 2013 - 08:08 PM.

Tn7HA0h.png

201katara

201katara

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 15 posts

That chapter went by way too fast!! I want to read more!! XD

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Haha!! Yeah, I've got to agree with you on that, I was so pumped up for baseball action it seemed to be over too soon just when the game was getting going :D

And look at Hanai, he finally had a good draw for the team, I think that's a first for him as captain. 

Tn7HA0h.png

naphack

naphack

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,120 posts
  • LocationIn the Black Forest, Germany

good draw = bad omen!

US RANDOM LEECHERS HAVE NO RIGHT TO COMPLAIN!

You don't scanlate, you don't complain, as simple as that.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

good draw = bad omen!

I suppose it's possible, though I'd hate to see it...........not that I know exactly how their system works, but I think this is the very beginning of their "fall" tournament. One loss and I'm guessing they're basically waiting until "next season" for the next "real" competition. 

Tn7HA0h.png

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Well, Mihashi has the "big wind-up" going now, though we didn't get to see very much of it since the first batter in the inning reached. Kind of a shame, he gave up a run but barely got hit, a bloop single, a bunt for a hit and a sac that turned into another bunt for a single........I'm really looking forward to how Hanai hangs in against Haruna in this at bat. They sure need their captain to start being a tougher out than he has been. 

Tn7HA0h.png

201katara

201katara

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 15 posts

I'm glad Mihashi isn't an all out strong pitcher... Its good that the opponent can get hits off him so easily sometimes. It makes him a more realistic pitcher :) HANAI!!! You better hit that pitch!! When Tajima hit Haruna's pitch, I was laughing on the inside--> serves you right Haruna, don't you dare underestimate Nishiura's batters!! 

naphack

naphack

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,120 posts
  • LocationIn the Black Forest, Germany

Now if Tajima only was taller :D

US RANDOM LEECHERS HAVE NO RIGHT TO COMPLAIN!

You don't scanlate, you don't complain, as simple as that.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Great new chapter, I was wondering if that catcher could possibly be that bad.................looks like some of it at least was nerves. Though he's definitely still a weak link, I've no doubt we'll see that come into play again as the game goes on. 

Tn7HA0h.png