Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Crappy scans?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

I never said any of the scanlators were crappy but I guess "scans" kinda made u go that way. I was talking more about the original raws and yes I was talking about the ringing. On the other note those that defend the quality of the raws. If something is currently awesome and then suddenly the quality drops I call that crappy.

Is it because they turned their releases all digital that the scantlation became such a crappy quality? It hurts my eyes just to read it (literally).

Well, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you didn't mean to specifically insult the scanlator (Emeraude) at that time, even though your words seem to pretty obviously do just that............"the scanlation became such a crappy quality?"..........yeah, it's really hard not to interpret that as anything but an insult aimed at Emeraude as opposed to, what(?) the publisher? I mean, what raws? That's the whole point, this is now originally published online, there aren't "raws" i.e. some printed publication which has been entered onto the computer. Or is that what you actually meant? That it was the original publisher whose product wasn't adequate for you?  But whatever. 

Now, what I'm really, reaaaallllllly curious about..............is now that FTH has caught up to the same point as when you leveled this complaint, what's your (or anybody's for that matter)  opinion now? Here, I just did a side by side, page by page comparison of chapter 117 by both  groups..........so, one's a little lighter than the other..........no other difference I personally see. What do you think? (JUST image quality, the original "crappy scans?" complaint,  is all I'm talking about here folks.)

http://vatoto.com/read/_/181035/freezing_v17_ch117_by_for-the-halibut/1

http://vatoto.com/read/_/153296/freezing_v17_ch117_by_emeraude-manga/1

Tn7HA0h.png

Natureboy

Natureboy

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,162 posts
  • Locationdeep in the forest

. . .

Now, what I'm really, reaaaallllllly curious about..............is now that FTH has caught up to the same point as when you leveled this complaint, what's your (or anybody's for that matter)  opinion now? Here, I just did a side by side, page by page comparison of chapter 117 by both  groups..........so, one's a little lighter than the other..........no other difference I personally see. What do you think? (JUST image quality, the original "crappy scans?" complaint,  is all I'm talking about here folks.)

http://vatoto.com/read/_/181035/freezing_v17_ch117_by_for-the-halibut/1

http://vatoto.com/read/_/153296/freezing_v17_ch117_by_emeraude-manga/1

Yup.

Step the FTH version one page forward to synch the pages and compare the left side of the page. Ink lines over gray tone in the Emer version all have bright white edges, which are artifacts of digital image processing. Those are much less obvious in FTH's version.

Then try stepping forward two more pages and compare Arnett's face in the upper left corner. The Emer version is much more harsh feeling because the contrast has been digitally increased, even though the raw wasn't very washed out to start with.

Contrast enhancement and sharpening can be very helpful when the starting image is murky and blurry. They can also make a bit of a mess if the orginal image is already clear with adequate tonal range. I'd been wondering why (plot points aside) this series seemed have gotten more difficult and annoying to read. It seems Dr. Coca has the correct diagnosis, even though perhaps his bedside manner could use a little work.

Dyspathy

Dyspathy

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 28 posts

My group is using volume scans which is why we are able to obtain a higher resolution and sharpness without the severe artifacting problems of using the digital raws. We did use the digital raws for a short period of time but they were too difficult to work with. There was less leveling work to do but redraws and stitching was multitudes harder to cover up nicely at that resolution. We also never upscaled any images because upscaling requires a lot of filtering work to look nice, and that's rarely worth the effort.

Sir Flash™

Sir Flash™

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationGaming & Streaming

Well EM will stop scanning after 147, so FTH/VS will be the only ones from now on

Musician King's SoundCloud: 

p4dJLo8.gif

SON, NIC, SHAKES!!

Spoiler

seyrine

seyrine

Unemployed Kitty In A Penguin Suit

• Administrators
  • 1,830 posts
  • LocationLurking nearby...
If I could weigh in; as long as a chapter follows the site rules on submissions and the site-wide rules on content, there's no reason not to approve an upload. There will be consequences if there was intentional trolling involved but barring that no action will be taken. :)

Catch my story; the Neverender Series

Batoto's Rules Repository | Rules, Guidelines and FAQs

Rules and Regulations | How to get help | Frequently Asked Questions

If all else fails, PM me. And use the REPORT button if you see any content that may violate site policy.

Catch me on irc.idlechat.net (#seyrine) and D.F.T.B.A.!