Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Mainstream anime/manga trivializing killing and death.

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

Leptailurus Serval

Leptailurus Serval

Potato Spud

• Banned
  • 39 posts
Due to my wish to know the ultimate fate of a random, generic, unnamed, unimportant Kunoichi character - I was forced to watch a Naruto movie, something that I would never have done under normal circumstances. While watching it, a question comes into my mind; how old is Naruto and his ilks? Mind you, ignoring Naruto's sheer delusion of reality - how many people has he killed so far? Doesn't the acts suppose to disturbs his mental health? I mean my God! There's a 16 years old delusional twat running around killing people for an ideal worthy of a 13 years old!

Edit:
Ah, I just realized it.
Naruto didn't kill many people.
But to keep the original scope relevant.
I'll expand it to Naruto and his ilks (the rest of the children that has bloods in their hands).

The closest Naruto can get to the real world is in the form of African child soldiers. Children were subjected to dangerous training since young ages and with skills to mostly kills the opponents. When they are in their early youths (still considered as children under UN definition), they are once again given dangerous missions that frequently involved death on any parties. As they grow up into maturity, their missions becomes more and more deadly and with body counts increasing.

In short, these children are prepared meticulously to trivialize the death of the enemies while at the same time creating a strong bond among themselves and between them and the villages. A kind of mentally sick form of group/ethnic Chauvinism.

Edited by Pardofelis Marmorata, 21 December 2012 - 06:16 PM.

Will of NGE

Will of NGE

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,701 posts
  • LocationGeofront

Due to my wish to know the ultimate fate of a random, generic, unnamed, unimportant Kunoichi character - I was forced to watch a Naruto movie, something that I would never have done under normal circumstances. While watching it, a question comes into my mind; how old is Naruto and his ilks? Mind you, ignoring Naruto's sheer delusion of reality - how many people has he killed so far? Doesn't the acts suppose to disturbs his mental health? I mean my God! There's a 16 years old delusional twat running around killing people for an ideal worthy of a 13 years old!

Different world, different standards.
When war started for independence of my country, one of my dad's friends was only 16 when he joined up. War lasted for about 5 years. He now has a wife and three children, a completely sane man. Works as a police officer as well.

fkq1S2q.jpg

Gif Response Unit

Spoiler

Leptailurus Serval

Leptailurus Serval

Potato Spud

• Banned
  • 39 posts
Ever wonder why police brutality is a persistence sickness affecting the majority of law enforcements?
Either you are involved in them or keep quite about them to protect your buddies.

RIP Kelly Thomas.

Edited by Pardofelis Marmorata, 21 December 2012 - 01:54 PM.

Meow Zorg

Meow Zorg

Potato

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationNapa, California

Ever wonder why police brutality is a persistence sickness affecting the majority of law enforcements?
Either you are involved in them or keep quite about them to protect your buddies.

RIP Kelly Thomas.

so you are saying a man who fought for his country then goes and serves the law of his country is a horrible person who will abuse the law and beat people whenever he can.

Edited by Meow Zorg, 21 December 2012 - 02:42 PM.

To be honest i believe that fan service is terrible

Leptailurus Serval

Leptailurus Serval

Potato Spud

• Banned
  • 39 posts
What I am saying is what Smedley Butler was saying:

"I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism. I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for the International Banking House of Brown Brothers in 1902-1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for the American sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Honduras right for the American fruit companies in 1903. In China in 1927 I helped see to it that Standard Oil went on its way unmolested. Looking back on it, I might have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents."

Couch Potato

• Retired Mods
  • 3,043 posts
How are we supposed to tell you the age of Naruto if you didn't even mention which film had you watched? Going by the manga timeline, Naruto starts as 12-13 years old and is around 16 now in the latest chapters.

Naruto hasn't killed anyone yet, at least not in the manga, which is all that matters. So your whole thread is kind of pointless. Besides, the ordeals he is constantly experiencing do not damage his mental health. If anything they strengthen it and that makes him THE BEST.

So yea, you are wrong in everything you said.

The opinions expressed by this user are solely their own and do not express the views of Batoto and its staff.

Leptailurus Serval

Leptailurus Serval

Potato Spud

• Banned
  • 39 posts
Ah, I just realized it.
Naruto didn't kill many people.
But to keep the original scope relevant.
I'll expand it to Naruto and his ilks (the rest of the children that has bloods in their hands).

Edited by Pardofelis Marmorata, 21 December 2012 - 03:41 PM.

thearux

thearux

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 573 posts
  • LocationUruguay
Its a fantasy and badly done manga about edgy kids that want to kill people, thats why its popular, don't think much about it.

Couch Potato

• Retired Mods
  • 3,043 posts
Why are you saying once again that Naruto killed people. He did not. Please, understand!
Now if you want to continue this discussion you will have to point out what do you mean by "ilk (the rest of the children that has bloods in their hands)" so I can tell you about it/them.

The opinions expressed by this user are solely their own and do not express the views of Batoto and its staff.

thearux

thearux

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 573 posts
  • LocationUruguay

Why are you saying once again that Naruto killed people. He did not. Please, understand!
Now if you want to continue this discussion you will have to point out what do you mean by "ilk (the rest of the children that has bloods in their hands)" so I can tell you about it/them.

So Naruto is a ninja, that by the way Ninjas have to kill people most of the time, is part of a War and didn't kill people? I remember some people he killed, but hey, lets follow your logic.

Leptailurus Serval

Leptailurus Serval

Potato Spud

• Banned
  • 39 posts
@Comic Mods

I generally hesitant replying to a troll like you but to answer your question; the crux of the argument is about "Mainstream anime/manga trivializing killing and death." Naruto is just an example and if he is not enough, I can expand it to his ilks. It doesn't matter to me whether it is in manga, anime or films because I'm not arguing about anything media specific, but I know for sure that at least in the films; Naruto did kill people. Mind you, I'm not a "Narutard" and I did not follow the series through and through.

Edited by Pardofelis Marmorata, 21 December 2012 - 04:26 PM.

thearux

thearux

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 573 posts
  • LocationUruguay

@Comic Mods

I generally hesitant replying to a troll like you but to answer your question; the crux of the argument is about "Mainstream anime/manga trivializing killing and death." Naruto is just an example and if he is not enough, I can expand it to his ilks. It doesn't matter to me whether it is in manga, anime or films because I'm not arguing about anything media specific, but I know for sure that at least in the films; Naruto did kill people. Mind you, I'm not a "Narutard" and I did not follow the series through and through.

Thats what you will see in most of the generic shounen mangas, full of cliche and the MC being "badass" and all the same thing.
If you want to see mangas in which generally there is some kind of after effect of killing or such, you could look for Seinen, thats all I can tell you, don't expect to see it in shounen.

Leptailurus Serval

Leptailurus Serval

Potato Spud

• Banned
  • 39 posts
@Green Tea
I see. I seldom read shounen nowadays and when I did, I was repulsed with the way they trivializes death.
Naruto and his ilks are mentally sick characters IMHO if we transpose them to reality.

Couch Potato

• Retired Mods
  • 3,043 posts

So Naruto is a ninja, that by the way Ninjas have to kill people most of the time, is part of a War and didn't kill people? I remember some people he killed, but hey, lets follow your logic.

Do you even read the comic or are you here to just troll? Naruto is in the war to stop it, he is not there to kill people. It may come to that in the end, but he tries his best to avoid it. Please, also share who did Naruto kill? Fillers and films do not count.

@Comic Mods

My nickname is 101010.

Why are you calling me a troll? I welcomed your blatant lies and disinformation with facts and yet this is how you repay me, by calling me a troll. Whatever...

Naruto is not an example, because the killing there is relatively little. And even when it occurs it's mostly done by the bad guys or there is some sort of very good reason for it. The same goes for the majority of shounen titles (and the others suitable for weekly magazine publishing), which are the ones I would call mainstream. Take even One Piece or Toriko for example. Where is the killing there? (bar the animals) Hell, even Bleach doesn't have THAT much killing.

I think that your very definition of "trivializing death and killing" is wrongful, so maybe you can start by tell us what meaning you put behind these words and also give some specific examples (correct this time, please) of mainstream series that are part of the issue.

Leptailurus Serval

Leptailurus Serval

Potato Spud

• Banned
  • 39 posts
@Comic Mods

Fillers and films do not count.

Please leave if you are here to troll or spam.
The crux of the argument doesn't necessitate your irrelevant claim.

thearux

thearux

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 573 posts
  • LocationUruguay

@Green Tea
I see. I seldom read shounen nowadays and when I did, I was repulsed with the way they trivializes death.
Naruto and his ilks are mentally sick characters IMHO if we transpose them to reality.

The thing is, teenagers and kids are in the age of the edgy turnabout in which they admire violence, hence, they make violent manga without decent plots at all. Nice to see you Kaze.

Do you even read the comic or are you here to just troll? Naruto is in the war to stop it, he is not there to kill people. It may come to that in the end, but he tries his best to avoid it. Please, also share who did Naruto kill? Fillers and films do not count.

My nickname is 101010.

Why are you calling me a troll? I welcomed your blatant lies and disinformation with facts and yet this is how you repay me, by calling me a troll. Whatever...

Naruto is not an example, because the killing there is relatively little. And even when it occurs it's mostly done by the bad guys or there is some sort of very good reason for it. The same goes for the majority of shounen titles (and the others suitable for weekly magazine publishing), which are the ones I would call mainstream. Take even One Piece or Toriko for example. Where is the killing there? (bar the animals) Hell, even Bleach doesn't have THAT much killing.

I think that your very definition of "trivializing death and killing" is wrongful, so maybe you can start by tell us what meaning you put behind these words and also give some specific examples (correct this time, please) of mainstream series that are part of the issue.

So if its a good reason its okay to kill huh.
Also Naruto killed that dude with a lot of hearts, read it a long time ago, manga went to shit easily, but well apart from that I can't talk much.
Also if you are trying to act like a mod, I suggest you to act as one instead to get buttdevastated so easily.

Couch Potato

• Retired Mods
  • 3,043 posts

Also Naruto killed that dude with a lot of hearts, read it a long time ago, manga went to shit easily, but well apart from that I can't talk much.

Nope, Kakashi killed him. Get your facts straight or stop using a manga you are completely ignorant about as an example. http://vatoto.com/read/_/5103/naruto_v38_ch340-349_by_japflap/50

Of course it is. If someone assaults you and the only way to protect yourself is to confront this someone with the intention to hurt/kill, then wouldn't you consider that a good reason? Anyway, this a fiction world we are talking about where there are giant monsters and magic, and whatnot, so any real life comparisons are futile.

Also if you are trying to act like a mod, I suggest you to act as one instead to get buttdevastated so easily.

Please, stop that! You are one of people who make my posting in the forums really hard, because you blabber nonsense all the time. I am NOT trying to act like a mod, I am NOT even a mod here. I am acting as a regular member who just shares HIS PERSONAL opinion. And please don't use such childish language when you are addressing me, it's an eyesore.

--------------------

Let this be my last post in General Discussions.

thearux

thearux

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 573 posts
  • LocationUruguay

Nope, Kakashi killed him. Get your facts straight or stop using a manga you are completely ignorant about as an example. http://vatoto.com/read/_/5103/naruto_v38_ch340-349_by_japflap/50

And I said I dropped it years ago, thats why I said "I think".

Of course it is. If someone assaults you and the only way to protect yourself is to confront this someone with the intention to hurt/kill, then wouldn't you consider that a good reason? Anyway, this a fiction world we are talking about where there are giant monsters and magic, and whatnot, so any real life comparisons are futile.

Mangas have usually a general level of real life morality, Do you think that the author is not influenced by real life when he writes something? Please lets not be retarded, the fact that it has monsters or other shit doesn't matter if the morality is like the one in real life.

Please, stop that! You are one of people who make my posting in the forums really hard, because you blabber nonsense all the time. I am NOT trying to act like a mod, I am NOT even a mod here. I am acting as a regular member who just shares HIS PERSONAL opinion. And please don't use such childish language when you are addressing me, it's an eyesore.

--------------------

You should act as a mod, a mod is neutral, which you aren't, a mod is mature, which you are not either, a mod has patience which you don't have either. I personally don't have anything against you, Im just pointing out that you are giving a bad image of the staff here.

Leptailurus Serval

Leptailurus Serval

Potato Spud

• Banned
  • 39 posts

^ Good riddance.

In the films, Naruto clearly killed people.
But again, it doesn't matter whether it is in the manga or anime or films.
The youths as you have noticed are not trained to dance but to kill.
This trivialization of death makes the shounen genre somewhat sickening.

In, Naruto Shippūden 3: Inheritors of the Will of Fire.
Ni was screaming to her death as Aburame's insects devoured her alive.
Only to have herself saved when summoned to form the Chimera.
Nevertheless, all three of Hiruko's subordinates was killed by the youths in the end.

The fact that I am seeing a woman screaming to her death being attacked by teenagers with the intention to kill makes me sick to my stomach.

Edited by Pardofelis Marmorata, 21 December 2012 - 05:43 PM.

Algis

Algis

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • LocationFrance
According to the law and morals, if you defend yourself against an aggression, it's called self-defense and you can't be accused of murder in this case. If someone (apparently innocent) is attacked/harmed, you have an obligation to assist him/her, if you don't do it, it's called failure to assist a person in danger, and you will be considered as an accomplice of the crime.
Otherwise, during a war it is perfectly normal to kill the enemy, it is considered self-defense.

In the case of Naruto, One Piece, Bleach and other mainstream anime/manga, there is no way we can accuse the protagonists (not the antagonists) of trivializing killing and death. It's the total opposite, in fact. Even when facing the devil himself, they beat him but keep him alive. A shitty mentality if you want my point of view, because in real life when you let these people live, they back stab you at the first occasion, or will want to take revenge. It goes against what I said above, against the morals. So, it is so unrealistic that's annoying that they refuse to kill.

There are probably other manga you can accuse of trivializing killing and death, manga doing the apology of violence for the simple pleasure to show violence. I personally refuse to read crap like that. But Naruto is not that kind of manga.

Edited by Algis, 21 December 2012 - 05:53 PM.