Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.63 - 481votes)

Toaru Ossan no VRMMO Katsudouki

Alt Names: alt A Certain Middle-Aged Man's VRMMO Activity Logalt とあるおっさんのVRMMO活動記alt To Aru Ossan no VRMMO Katsudoukialt 某大叔的vrmmo活动记
Author: Shiina Howahowa
Artist: Rikudou Shuuya
Genres: Action ActionAdventure AdventureComedy ComedyCooking CookingFantasy FantasyHarem HaremSci-fi Sci-fiSlice of Life Slice of Life
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Typical company employee Tanaka Daichi(38 years old, single) loves games and plays a new type of VRMMO called "One More Free Life Online" under the username "Earth". Inside this free world he chose several skills that are generally regarded as useless. Be it wasting time crafting potions, cooking up pointlessly tasty food, or hunting monsters with some absurd weapon he crafted, he simply enjoys playing the game.

Original Webcomic:
http://www.alphapolis.co.jp/manga/viewOpening/658000067/
Go to Toaru Ossan no VRMMO Katsudouki Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Lates chapter discussion New Window Freenight
  • 40 Replies
Topic Suggestions? New Window Creecha
  • 4 Replies
Topic Light Novel Of This Manga??? New Window TeamdichJustT
  • 8 Replies

1201 Comments

"Eagle Eye" is used to find them (and probably other stuff too).  It wasn't one of the "useless" skills, but it's not like everyone would even have "Eagle Eye" to begin with (and there's still the identification problem you mentioned).

I think "Eagle Eye" is a time saving skill that helps you out depending on what skills you have.

With apothecary, it shows where you can harvest herbs. It probably won't show you where you can mine ores if you don't have the required mining skill. With a fighting skills, it shows you the weak points for critical attacks. And on it's own, it seems to tell you where the enemies are on the map and/or see further. 

You can probably do all that stuff without it, but you'll have to learn it by trial and error. It might give passive bonuses, but I would see most non-crafters skip it for something more useful.

Isn't that because herb finding and identification are part of Apothecary skill?

"Eagle Eye" is used to find them (and probably other stuff too).  It wasn't one of the "useless" skills, but it's not like everyone would even have "Eagle Eye" to begin with (and there's still the identification problem you mentioned).

So his kicking skill gives him a passive movement bonus (as moving requires the use of legs), which allows him to out speed his opponent. (His opponent who wears heavy armour and uses a heavy sword)

Once he dodges his opponents first attack with his superior speed (helped by the fact he wears light armour),he catches is opponent in a stun lock. The critical hits were just the bonus, but fighting a group, getting quicker kills would be beneficial.

This reminds me of Extra Credits- Perfect Imbalance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e31OSVZF77w

It talks about cyclical imbalance, where the meta-game is always changing. 

Wonder why he didnt make everyone bring their own herbs, that way more people can get potions and he can get more cash

I think it might be because you need the apothecary skill to gather/identify herbs.

Higher quality potions will probably require special drops. At that point, having people bring the ingredients will become a valid option.

I was a dual wielder when I started playing Mabinogi, I became pretty good at combat but I tended to die oftenly. So often indeed that I went and learnt Potion Making and Herbalism... I don't die as often anymore and always have some surplus of money and potions.

PD: Those skills are horrible to level up T_T

Wonder why he didnt make everyone bring their own herbs, that way more people can get potions and he can get more cash

Isn't that because herb finding and identification are part of Apothecary skill?

yer right, if it was Weed he'll definitely do it

I almost shed tears because of the update.

Oh by the way I just noticed he kicked that arrow through the guy's face and out the back of his head (and helmet). OUCH.

The MC just coincidentally ~happens~ to pick a combination of skills that seems to work perfectly together...

There are few things that are cooler than a super-swift (Physical Boost, maybe even Kicking for movement), silent and stealthy (Stealth, duh) sniper-assassin (Archery+Eagle Eye+Physical Boost+Apothecary posions) that supercharges his super-deadly sniper arrows with Wind Magic for maximum crittage...

I don't exactly see the major point in cooking yet... but who knows?

Whoever made that skill set obviously put a lot of forethought into it.

Well I haven't read the LN so I don't know if any of this is right, but....

Daichi bought the game the day it came out and started playing immediately. Yet when he chose his skills, he already knew what was considered useless and what wasn't. There are a limited number of explanations for that:

1) The game is a sequel or had a beta version, meaning that the developers would have had the opportunity to rebalance and alter skills before the final release.

2) There was a great deal of discussion before the game came out based on information released by the developers, meaning that the players made assumptions that turned out to be inaccurate.

3) People are being idiots and basing their classifications on unrelated games or simply their own bias.

4) The developers deliberately planned for some skills to have hidden benefits in order to reward players who choose to experiment rather than min/maxing. This could explain chapter 3 with the potion shortage.

As for Daichi's choices... I think it's pretty clear what he was thinking: that he wanted to be completely self-sufficient. Hence he has three different combat skills for close, ranged and magic, the ability to craft equipment, food and potions and then three skills that equate to buffs.

I found a novel like the manga Royal road http://www.royalroadl.com/table-of-content/ 

you do not found a novel like the manga, you found a novel that is better than the manga

*grab a popcorn

Spoiler

well that a pretty neat idea. cutting off supplies from npc. so crafter will be more valueable.

2 kicks, 2 shots, all crits...

does his class makes him an acrobat? you know cause of the kicking and archery...fuck dargonest

OOhhhhh his kicking skill going up, he's doing tae-kwon do now.

Sooner or later he will learn "Guilotine Kick" for a finisher move.

The MC just coincidentally ~happens~ to pick a combination of skills that seems to work perfectly together...

There are few things that are cooler than a super-swift (Physical Boost, maybe even Kicking for movement), silent and stealthy (Stealth, duh) sniper-assassin (Archery+Eagle Eye+Physical Boost+Apothecary posions) that supercharges his super-deadly sniper arrows with Wind Magic for maximum crittage...

I don't exactly see the major point in cooking yet... but who knows?

Whoever made that skill set obviously put a lot of forethought into it.

yes

the play space of all games are determinded by resources. thats why console/pc games have such strict limits. why you can do some things but not others that you would think you should be able to do. and why even online P2P MMORPG's are still "small worlds". but all these manga's and novels have magical super tech that we are probably at least half a century from. where competent AI's and resources are high to allow large freedoms you don't get in todays MMO's.

I might agree, if most of the player's success seemed to be based off of things a crowd of people wouldn't have, in aggregate, already tried and found out. Never underestimate crowd-sourced intelligence. If there were just one or two things he was 'finding out before anyone else did', it might be believable, but...

Ah, also, there is some debate that the super-magical tech you speak of is possibly only around a third of a century away (maybe even slightly less). Progress in technology tends to accelerate exponentially, so it's very hard to judge when high-end things will come about.

1. of course practice is needed and guidance is offered at training hall (though it wasn't shown in the manga adaption and he has have the unbreakable training bow + infinite training arrows there)

Magic and melee don't need practice to have minimum efficiency.
You also see others practicing so the problem is more fundamental than shooting.

2. what's wrong with killing intent/detection/other/6th sense (lol)

It works against archery while magic is not affected.

Misc:
There was this game my friend ranted to me years back.
My friend's tank took the same amount of damage with and without her body armor, which is the same as her healer.
HP pot also has a HP threshold. If your current HP exceeds a fixed amount, the amount healed is reduced.
For maximum effect, her tank needs to have the same amount of HP as her healer as well.
Her final question was, "What is the point of the tank?"

1. of course practice is needed and guidance is offered at training hall (though it wasn't shown in the manga adaption and he has have the unbreakable training bow + infinite training arrows there)

also like most, if not all the players declined the guidance and went their own way.

since its not like some point and click or some other thing, and it's a VRMMO meaning no auto aim/homing arrows.

2. what's wrong with killing intent/detection/other/6th sense (lol)

the arrows can delay or interupt so unless they feel no pain they can be stopped.

-------

and anyway all equipment except those starter weapons have durablity.

MC already lost a couple of bows, shields and leather armor sets to attacks.

Eagle eye and cooking aren't considered useless.Archery - Many problems of archery for low levels.

Spoiler
As a standalone skill, archery is not very useful as it has more disadvantages than advantages for newbies.However, when used with other abilities, archery can be a force to be reckoned with.Arrow covered with paralytic poison is just awesome.Kick -No attack skills means players won't be interested.

The part I bolded in the spoilers, that I seriously think would be a dick move on the developers part. I mean, what the hell? What do the devs have against archers?

In retrospect, now that I'm thinking a little more critically, the manga, in it's gameplay mechanics aspect, is full of a lot of holes and balancing issues.

I'm starting to think that maybe the mangaka doesn't know quite enough about online game mechanics (vastly different from single player console games) to be writing a manga about them.

But on the other hand, the concept of an mmo without job/classes, and instead use a system of interchangable, freely modifiable, and immediately available skills is very interesting.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics