Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.71 - 237votes)

Song of the Long March

Alt Names: alt Chang Ge Xingalt Chang Ge's Journeyalt Chouka Koualt Choukakoualt 長歌行alt 长歌行alt Trường Ca Hành
Author: Xia Da
Artist: Xia Da
Genres: Action ActionAdventure AdventureDrama DramaHistorical HistoricalSeinen Seinen
Type: Manhua (Chinese)
Description: Chang An in the Tang Dynasty of China (618-907): The demon star is passing through the sky, calamity is about to befall the Tang Dynasty - because of a woman.

Raw: http://www.u17.com/comic/14325.html
Go to Song of the Long March Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Indefinite hiatus for this series New Window tohukyo
  • 5 Replies
Topic Explanation on the Names New Window Kusunoki
  • 1 Replies
Topic Anyone else care about... New Window Aizen-sensei
  • 17 Replies
Topic Released chapter discussion New Window truepurple
  • 32 Replies
Topic Historical context Li Ai New Window Saf
  • 1 Replies
Topic raws New Window generalthao
  • 3 Replies

477 Comments

This is actually really good. D:

Didn't expect it, considering the artsy-ness of Xia Da's previous works. Ah, not to say they weren't good, but hmmm, they felt more like reading a poem or something than reading a story. This is exciting though. :X

Holy crap this is awesome. o.o

Please continue scanning this one, Aizen-sensei!

Li Chang Ge: the Daenerys Stormborn of China.

Oh crap, thats an awesome comparison.

Ill have the next chapter done by tomorrow, whats taking me so long by far is that i have to translate EVERY name and EVERY place in this manga into its chinese equivalent, meaning that i need to type out, or in most cases, FIND the Kanji, then type it out into google translate and copypaste the result. 

EDIT Never mind, i had some time, i did it. Here is the chaptah.

Holy crap this is awesome. o.o

Please continue scanning this one, Aizen-sensei!

Li Chang Ge: the Daenerys Stormborn of China.

Nice story.  Be looking forward to more chapters.

Aizen-sensei, you sure love those historical manga like I do!

By Hanzi i shall guess that you are talking about the Kanji, i.e. the chinese characters

For chong ge, its 長歌

Yongning is 永寧姫

Her given name is read Chánggē. The term 永寧 means Forever Peaceful. It's a wish naming, basically the sovereign's hope for her future. That, or the name of a gate or annex of the palace where she's born or spent her youth in. There's also the possibility that her title (and that of the princess of Later Han) came from Luoyang's Yongning Pagoda (永寧寺). There is also another Princess Yongning who is the daughter of Tang Emperor Xuanzong from an unknown consort.

Anyway, Li Jiancheng had two real life daughters. The eldest daughter is not recorded in history. She's simply known as Lady Li. I'm guessing that Chánggē's story is facilitated by the fact that there's this daughter whose fate is unknown to history. Most likely, she was old enough at the time of Li Jiancheng's death to merit attention from her uncle and was executed along with her five surviving brothers (Li Jiancheng actually had six sons but the eldest, Li Chengzong, predeceased him). The fact that she was known as Lady Li (李氏) may indicate that she was already married at the time of her father's death.

If this story proceeds like I'm guessing it would, then our feisty princess may be about to meet up with one of the two Ashina Khans of the Eastern Turkic Khaganate. Either Ashina Duobi or his nephew Ashina Shibobi. 

That said, the fate of the SECOND daughter is well-known. Princess Li Wanshun was born in 622, which makes her 4 years old at the time of the Xuanwu Gate Incident (626). She was raised by Taizong himself and was well known to be a studious and talented princess who was well-versed in history and philosophy. However, being a princess she lived a mostly sequestered life and interacted little with her other family members so that her talents went unrecognized by them. In 638 she met and subsequently married the Count of Wenxi Liu Yingdao and bore several children with him. Most of what we know of her (including her talents that went unrecognized in the palace) came from a book written by her heartbroken husband after she passed away on the sixth day of the sixth month of the first year of the Longshuo reign (July 8th, 661 by Western reckoning). The book was titled《大唐刘应道妻故闻喜县主墓志》(Memorial to the wife of Count of Wenxi Liu Yingdao). 

okay aizen-sensei know u have this manga OG attention with this series 

I dont understand what you said, but ill take it as a compliment. Thank you.

okay aizen-sensei know u have this manga OG attention with this series 

I don't think there's a connection, because Chang Ge's title as Princess Yongning in the manhua would have been based on the name of a region, palace building, garden, room, or section, an Imperial office, or alternatively a poetic quote from the previous emperor. It's kinda like how when we say Prince of Wales we now mean Charles, but the title itself has been held by many before him.

If you can give me the hanzi for both Chang Ge and Yongning, I can try to dig up the history a bit (assuming there's any).

By Hanzi i shall guess that you are talking about the Kanji, i.e. the chinese characters

For chong ge, its 長歌

Yongning is 永寧姫

Ah, thanks for that. 

And in any case, heres chapter 2 :)

I don't think there's a connection, because Chang Ge's title as Princess Yongning in the manhua would have been based on the name of a region, palace building, garden, room, or section, an Imperial office, or alternatively a poetic quote from the previous emperor. It's kinda like how when we say Prince of Wales we now mean Charles, but the title itself has been held by many before him.

If you can give me the hanzi for both Chang Ge and Yongning, I can try to dig up the history a bit (assuming there's any).

Li Jiancheng was initially posthumously reduced to commoner rank. After Emperor Taizong took the throne, he posthumously created Li Jiancheng the Prince of Xi and adopted his own son Li Fu (李福) into Li Jiancheng's line as Li Jiancheng's heir. He also buried Li Jiancheng with ceremonies due an imperial prince. In 642, he restored Li Jiancheng's crown prince title. However, for political considerations, he would never have Li Jiancheng fully rehabilitated, as the daughters of Li Jiancheng still remained the titles as daughters of a common prince, rather than a crown prince.

But then If I look deeper I see this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liu_Zhiyuan

Children

• Liu Chengxun (劉承訓) (922-948), posthumously created the Prince of Wei
  • Liu Chengyou (劉承祐) (931-950), the Prince of Zhou (created 948), later Emperor Yin of Later Han
  • Liu Chengxun (劉承勛) (d. 951), name later changed to Liu Xun (劉勛), posthumously created the Prince of Chen by Emperor Taizu of Later Zhou
  • Princess Yongning (created 947), posthumously created Princess Qin (created 949)

It looks like the author did a little rewriting of history.

Ah, thanks for that. 

And in any case, heres chapter 2 :)

as far as i could search, there was no such person as Chong ge, so this might be an alternative history type of story. A universe where Taizong gets owned by this girl and dies a horrible death, then this girl becomes the first Queen empress of China. 

Li Jiancheng was initially posthumously reduced to commoner rank. After Emperor Taizong took the throne, he posthumously created Li Jiancheng the Prince of Xi and adopted his own son Li Fu (李福) into Li Jiancheng's line as Li Jiancheng's heir. He also buried Li Jiancheng with ceremonies due an imperial prince. In 642, he restored Li Jiancheng's crown prince title. However, for political considerations, he would never have Li Jiancheng fully rehabilitated, as the daughters of Li Jiancheng still remained the titles as daughters of a common prince, rather than a crown prince.

But then If I look deeper I see this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liu_Zhiyuan

Children

• Liu Chengxun (劉承訓) (922-948), posthumously created the Prince of Wei
  • Liu Chengyou (劉承祐) (931-950), the Prince of Zhou (created 948), later Emperor Yin of Later Han
  • Liu Chengxun (劉承勛) (d. 951), name later changed to Liu Xun (劉勛), posthumously created the Prince of Chen by Emperor Taizu of Later Zhou
  • Princess Yongning (created 947), posthumously created Princess Qin (created 949)

It looks like the author did a little rewriting of history.

This a bold thing she's saying but it looks to me if I do a quick search on Wikipedia that Emperor Taizong had a full life and reigned until he died.

as far as i could search, there was no such person as Chong ge, so this might be an alternative history type of story. A universe where Taizong gets owned by this girl and dies a horrible death, then this girl becomes the first Queen empress of China. 

I absolutely love the main female character. She is strong willed and smart. But I do have to say at the end of the chapter her face looked kind of scary. Totally excited on seeing how she will try to get revenge. Please update this Aizen-sensei!!!!

This a bold thing she's saying but it looks to me if I do a quick search on Wikipedia that Emperor Taizong had a full life and reigned until he died.

Woo! I own 3 volumes of this series and enjoyed what I've read. Glad to see someone pick it up.  Though Aizen-sensei could use more proofreading, there's a number of small errors in there.

Also it's Chang'an, not Chongan.

Yes, i know, ive got many typos because i translate it on the fly. Sadly Adobe Photoshop does not have Spellcheck built in... Or maybe they do, ill have to search for that.

And sorry bout the changan chongan fiasco. Its just that in japanese its Chouan(長安) which is why that typo keeps coming up. 

Woo! I own 3 volumes of this series and enjoyed what I've read. Glad to see someone pick it up.  Though Aizen-sensei could use more proofreading, there's a number of small errors in there.

Also it's Chang'an, not Chongan.

a must follow!! ^^ 

good work Aizen!! keep it up... :) 

Just finish reading the first chapter  .. The art is good and the story is interesting .. . hopefully it will be continued to be translated ;)

Anyone interested in this series? 

One of the best manhua in a long time keep it up please.

hmmm.... lets check it out...

later... ^^

Suddenly awesomeness ,Aizen- sensei does it again , i'll post this link  to my  blog a lot more people need to find out about this series.

And btw Aizen you have be posting some really nice mangas lately , you are now one of my favorite groups that I follow , thank you for your effort ! , you are appreciated .

Yeah, thankfully only the first chapter was like 60 pages the rest are only around 40 or so, so this will make it easier. 

But im not really expecting much of a following for this. 

Suddenly awesomeness ,Aizen- sensei does it again , i'll post this link  to my  blog a lot more people need to find out about this series.

And btw Aizen you have be posting some really nice mangas lately , you are now one of my favorite groups that I follow , thank you for your effort ! , you are appreciated .

My bad, a page didnt have the stuff erased. Fixed and reuploaded. 

And yes, i should really read it BEFORE i upload it to see if ive messed up. But, my god, I usually zip through this stuff, which is why i miss some of it. Plus, each chapter was like 60 pages, and i usually take a break after a chapter is finished. 

Anyone interested in this series? 

Yes! Very interesting! :D

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics